Author Topic: Can you get a hernia from ab workout  (Read 14507 times)

Awesomo

• Getbig III
Can you get a hernia from ab workout
« on: June 21, 2009, 02:06:21 AM »
honestly i never thought i would ask you people for anything better than the perfect cycle  ;D

but seriously after dong abs (specically the ab wheel) my left lower right abs have been hurting. It has only been a day and i hope i have just strained it. but my brother, my dad, my uncle, my grandad, and even my fucking cat have had hernias so i am scared i might have one.

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
Re: Can you get a hernia from ab workout
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 02:12:57 AM »
honestly i never thought i would ask you people for anything better than the perfect cycle  ;D

but seriously after dong abs (specically the ab wheel) my left lower right abs have been hurting. It has only been a day and i hope i have just strained it. but my brother, my dad, my uncle, my grandad, and even my fucking cat have had hernias so i am scared i might have one.

is this your first time to use the ab wheel??.. when i used it for the first time my abs sored for 2-3 days.. but was back to normal after that..

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 02:13:51 AM »
Drink some Gin, problem solved  8)
S

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 02:15:50 AM »
dont shit it drink a beer and get back to one night stands

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 02:16:24 AM »
dont shit it drink a beer and get back to one night stands

Exactly what I was trying to say!
S

Awesomo

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 02:33:20 AM »
is this your first time to use the ab wheel??.. when i used it for the first time my abs sored for 2-3 days.. but was back to normal after that..

ab wheel is a staple of my ab workout. but i've never had it "hurt" not sore for a day like this before.

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 02:41:18 AM »
ab wheel is a staple of my ab workout. but i've never had it "hurt" not sore for a day like this before.

if the pain increases you have to visit your doc., but i dont think this can be hernia,.. may be a muscle tear.. if the pain is bearable and decreases so dont worry and just stop training your abs till it totally goes..

hope you are ok!

Awesomo

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 02:43:40 AM »
if the pain increases you have to visit your doc., but i dont think this can be hernia,.. may be a muscle tear.. if the pain is bearable and decreases so dont worry and just stop training your abs till it totally goes..

hope you are ok!

thanks. if i'm lucky it is a tear and i just cant for abs for a week or two i'll manage  ;D

Matterhorn

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 05:17:49 AM »

YES. AS WITH ALL OTHER EXERCISES, BE CAREFEUL!

Tried the "Rocky" ab exercise for a while, which put way too much pressure on my abdominal wall. Resulted in 3 very visible bumps along the middle line of my abs. Really scary. Had it repaired a few years ago.

Good thing: they operated through the belly button and stitched everything together. No big deal. That's me in the second pic - other than a piercing-like hole above the belly button, you cannot see any scars.

good luck and stay fit!

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 05:30:56 AM »

FAIL! 

Dipadidu

• Getbig IV
  • any problems? work out!
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 05:53:49 AM »

;D

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2009, 08:00:41 AM »

You can get a hernia at any time, doing any activity.
If there is a weakness of any kind in the abdominal wall, it's just a matter of time before the weakness becomes a tear, and you now have a hernia.
I'd done deadlifts, squats, and lifted heavy for years. Jumped off the top row of bleachers leaving my high school basketball games.
One day I'm at work pulling a weed from a dry bed of dirt, and feel lightheaded. Stand up and regained my balance and everything is fine. Go home that night, and I have an inguinal hernia.
You can get a hernia from a sneeze, or a cough. I was born with my abdominal weakness, and the aforementioned activities apparently didn't have effect on my abs, yet pulling a weed did.

Nizar

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2009, 12:37:31 PM »

If there is a weakness of any kind in the abdominal wall, it's just a matter of time before the weakness becomes a tear, and you now have a hernia.
I'd done deadlifts, squats, and lifted heavy for years. Jumped off the top row of bleachers leaving my high school basketball games.
One day I'm at work pulling a weed from a dry bed of dirt, and feel lightheaded. Stand up and regained my balance and everything is fine. Go home that night, and I have an inguinal hernia.
You can get a hernia from a sneeze, or a cough. I was born with my abdominal weakness, and the aforementioned activities apparently didn't have effect on my abs, yet pulling a weed did.

wow

Jeffro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2009, 12:41:01 PM »

Freudian slip..  :-X

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2009, 12:43:51 PM »

maybe because squatting you were used to wear a belt, and when pulling the weed you didn't have the belt but your body used the muscles as if it thought you had a belt on.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2009, 01:03:45 PM »
maybe because squatting you were used to wear a belt, and when pulling the weed you didn't have the belt but your body used the muscles as if it thought you had a belt on.

You can count the number of times I've squatted with a belt on, on one hand. And you'll have 3 fingers left over too. I have never liked squatting with a belt, ever. My heaviest lifts have never had a belt on, reps or not.
You think I jumped off the bleachers in HS with a belt on? Even being 5 years before I set foot in a gym?
Good analytical thinking, I like it. But I wasn't wearing a belt at all. I'm one of those "build your abs/spinal erectors as your natural belt" kind of guys.