Author Topic: can anyone do a pulldown or chinup with 400+ pounds for reps including bodyweigh  (Read 2975 times)

The_Leafy_Bug

Nice job all cornbread inbred and bean fed.  ;D

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
are you claiming twink status benchie buns?
almost...i was 218 this morning...

bench

Marty Champions

• Getbig V

yes im a product of a fukker head society fo sho, and you are just a perfect flawless stud
A

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
I can do full reps with 300, maybe more. I've been chinning for a lifetime. Doesn't mean I have a huge back, but I'm O.K.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Sure a lot of "use to" or" back in the day" on here. Difference between pullups and chins, as we all know.

Seen a 150lb gymnast train with a 180lb weight harness, while doing pullups on a set of rings. Probably around 10 or so reps. Another guy doing a one arm chin with 70lbs on the waist, for reps. The free hand behind his back. He was a rock climber. Most of those men climbers, and women, have exceptional stamina when it comes to grip and pulling power.

I had heard of a Olympic lifter doing a bit over 300 for reps, but never seen so don't know how true it is. I have seen guys pulling up a couple of hundreds plus quite a few times in serious training. Not saying that a 400lbs lift is possible but not very likely. But I'm sure JF is just the man to do it.

Want to get stronger in pullups. than try 6Xof 3's.
F

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
I have owned 100 lb. plates for years, and it took me years to be able to do it. Same with dips. I use a belt and can pretty much do full reps with the belt loaded.

The size gains that come from workouts like that have NOT proven to be as effective (for me) as higher reps with less weight, but that's just me.

I don't think overall workouts like that are so great when it comes to the "benefit vs. risk" ratios. Pulls fucking hard on the wrists-- real hard.

Grip strength came more than flaring lats.

noeasywayout

• Getbig II
some cool sh!t
 ;D ;D

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
some cool sh!t
 ;D ;D

very cool vids

the first vid is more for the taller strong people type or those that should focus on one rep maxes. the other vids are more for the smaller lifter and strong
A

Reeves

• Getbig IV
In or about 1953 Marvin Eder at a bodyweight of just under 200 lbs. did, I believe, 7 Chins with an additional  200 lbs on him.  He also performed a dip with just over 400 lbs. in addition to his bodyweight.  He is still alive today and does mostly high rep training.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
In or about 1953 Marvin Eder at a bodyweight of just under 200 lbs. did, I believe, 7 Chins with an additional  200 lbs on him.  He also performed a dip with just over 400 lbs. in addition to his bodyweight.  He is still alive today and does mostly high rep training.

dont know if i beleive these ancient stories but certainly possible
A

Reeves

• Getbig IV
dont know if i beleive these ancient stories but certainly possible

Understandable, but I believe they were recorded and subsequently verified by the publications of the day, most notably Iron Man (when Peary and Mabel Rader owned it) and Strength and Health.  Like I said, Marvin is still with us. He also bench pressed 500 pounds at a bodyweight of just under 200 pounds.   He was a very strong individual.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
All of Marvin Eder's lifts were well recorded back then. Kept very good records at that time. Eder was a natural strong man and also excelled at overhead pressing (300+) and BB curls (200+). Most of the east coast BB'ers, around that time, used dips and chins as main factors in their workouts. Don't see much of the chin behind the neck but was used a lot back then. Excellent for rear delt.
F

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
can anyone
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2011, 12:49:19 PM »
The behind the neck wide grip chin puts too much stress on the shoulder and rotator cuff, it's much better to do wide grip chins to the front.

DSM18

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
i can do about 3-4 reps with 100lbs hanging off me, i weight 210lbs... and i do overhand and wide grip which is more difficult.

its easy to do what your asking if you do heavy pulldowns... i use to lift 150lbs max for 8 reps on pulldowns, now i do 210lbs for 18 reps X 8 sets... at 150lbs i couldnt do one overhand chinup, now i can do about 15 bodyweight chins... so basically if you build strength of machine exercises, it will help you build strength with bodyweight and free weight movements. To me this is the equal main advantage of machines, that and variety.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
i can do about 3-4 reps with 100lbs hanging off me, i weight 210lbs... and i do overhand and wide grip which is more difficult.

its easy to do what your asking if you do heavy pulldowns... i use to lift 150lbs max for 8 reps on pulldowns, now i do 210lbs for 18 reps X 8 sets... at 150lbs i couldnt do one overhand chinup, now i can do about 15 bodyweight chins... so basically if you build strength of machine exercises, it will help you build strength with bodyweight and free weight movements. To me this is the equal main advantage of machines, that and variety.

i think some of us who have naturally higher bodyfat and water retention and eat more calories tend to be best at loading heavy weight and pull in 400 pound range

these "twinks" are very strong for there weight however and pull in the 300 pound range this is still alot better than the average person

i think if a big man was doing a pullup with 500 pound total includeing his bodyweight and the weight strapped on him then that would be impressive

i rarely train but have an "on your feet" job so my pulling nearly 400 i think is "beginner but stronger than normal people" range for a big fat guy likemyself
A