Author Topic: The Book Thread (cool people need not apply)  (Read 19518 times)

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
The Book Thread (cool people need not apply)
« on: December 07, 2010, 02:10:23 PM »
Time to share your intellectual database. What have you read recently? Any books in particular that stood out?

The last couple of months I've read:

A brief history of Time by Stephen Hawking
Freakonomics by Steven D. Levitt(just ordered Superfreakonomics, looking forward to it)
The Missionary position by Christopher Hitchens(a must read, both hilarious and pretty shocking at the same time although overwritten)
Stalin, the Red Tsar and his court by Simon Sebag M.(Buy it, read it)
A book dealing with science philosophy by an author I can't remember the name of
Physics of the Impossible by Michio Kaku(an excellent read if you find theoretical physics fascinating, a little bit easier to grasp than say A brief history of time)
Einstein by Walter Isaacson
June 1941 by John Lukacs(interesting book about Hitler's motives for attacking Russia)
The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins(must read, gives you a lot of insight into how animals and evolution in general work)
A huuuge 700 page book summarizing the world's history but can't remember the author(a little bit on the dry side but very educational at the same time)

etc
etc

Pretty much all of it deals with either science or history which I have a hard-on for right now. Obviously I'm reading this only while waiting for Nasser's epic piece of literature to come out, make no mistake  ;D
from incomplete data

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
Re: The book thread(cool people need not apply)
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 02:12:05 PM »
nerd

;D

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 02:12:15 PM »
Time to share your intellectual database. What have you read recently? Any books in particular that stood out?

The last couple of months I've read:

A brief history of Time by Stephen Hawking
Freakonomics by Steven D. Levitt(just ordered Superfreakonomics, looking forward to it)
The Missionary position by Christopher Hitchens(a must read, both hilarious and pretty shocking at the same time although overwritten)
Stalin, the Red Tsar and his court by Simon Sebag M.(Buy it, read it)
A book dealing with science philosophy by an author I can't remember the name of
Physics of the Impossible by Michio Kaku(an excellent read if you find theoretical physics fascinating, a little bit easier to grasp than say A brief history of time)
Einstein by Walter Isaacson
June 1941 by John Lukacs(interesting book about Hitler's motives for attacking Russia)
The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins(must read, gives you a lot of insight into how animals and evolution in general work)
A huuuge 700 page book summarizing the world's history but can't remember the author(a little bit on the dry side but very educational at the same time)

etc
etc

Pretty much all of it deals with either science or history which I have a hard-on for right now. Obviously I'm reading this only while waiting for Nasser's epic piece of literature to come out, make no mistake  ;D
Only one matters

disturbia

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 02:14:05 PM »
On the Road---Kerouac
Variety of Deepak Chopra Books
not much else at the moment

SilverSpoon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 02:16:20 PM »
Disturbia, you should read Trout Fishing in America.
And anything by Charles Bukowski.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 02:18:15 PM »
Romance of the Three Kingdoms (Very good book)
The Prince
Makes me Want To holler
Soledad brother
Manchild in the Promised Land
Monster
Autob of Malcolm X
Southern Storm William T Shermans March to the Sea
48 Laws of Power
Autob of Jim brown
Coldest Winter Ever

SilverSpoon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 02:26:52 PM »
Option D, did you read this:  The Five Percenters: Islam, Hip Hop, and the Gods of New York?

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 02:28:45 PM »
Black people don't read. I was shocked i didn't see ebony magazine or Snoop Dawgs autobio :D
I have read the Auto Bio of snoop.. I remember he is a liar. Said he lost his virginity at 12 to 2 chicks at the same time

StickStickly

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Team Huge Aryan Bastard

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 02:30:07 PM »
Option D, did you read this:  The Five Percenters: Islam, Hip Hop, and the Gods of New York?

Havent read either of them...yet.. Im gonna look them up and see if i can get a deal.

I have read City of Quartz and Bastards of the Party. Both about LA.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 02:30:28 PM »
Fiction is Gay

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 02:31:55 PM »
Fiction is Gay

As you can see all of mine are Non-fiction
Except for coldest winter ever.. i read it when i was 18

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 02:34:01 PM »
Just finished Tom Rachman's 'The Imperfectionists,' am presently reading John Valliant's 'The Tiger,' and have Adam Levin's 'The Instructions' in the on-deck circle.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 02:36:19 PM »
The outsiders..lmao
Things Fall apart

SilverSpoon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 02:38:08 PM »
Havent read either of them...yet.. Im gonna look them up and see if i can get a deal.

I have read City of Quartz and Bastards of the Party. Both about LA.

Mal, that is one book.  It is interesting.  I'm a white guy, so I laugh when all of these young bucks are rapping/spitting about shit they don't even know about. 
Here is one inocuous example:  "Lookin' at my Rolie (Rolex), it's about that time".
They have no idea that this originally came from one of the most unsung MC's of all time:  Schooly D "Gucci Time".

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2010, 02:42:56 PM »
Mal, that is one book.  It is interesting.  I'm a white guy, so I laugh when all of these young bucks are rapping/spitting about shit they don't even know about. 
Here is one inocuous example:  "Lookin' at my Rolie (Rolex), it's about that time".
They have no idea that this originally came from one of the most unsung MC's of all time:  Schooly D "Gucci Time".

Schooly D

Thats the fool in jail for robbing a bank right

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2010, 02:46:32 PM »
my bad.. that was Steady B and Cool c who are in jail...not Schooly D..

SilverSpoon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2010, 02:51:00 PM »
While "Glamorous Life" was a good song (especially for 7th grade), it cannot hold a candle to any of Schoolly D's library.

Cool C got busted robbing in Conshohocken, while I was in college, if I recally correctly.

The same year I saw the Pharcyde live (one of the greatest/under-rated albums of all rap time), with Souls of Mischief opening for them.

I met a lot of people on the hip-hop scene, and many respected me because I did not try to be "down" as other white kids did.  I looked at rap as individual educational pieces, that told a story (it should) of a life I did not know or could not comprehend, but needed to know if I were to be able to effectively communicate with those "from the streets"; that is to say those unlike me.

Unfortunately, rap has devolved into generation nothingness.

devilsmile

• Getbig V
  • Hows life? Please, do tell.
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2010, 02:54:09 PM »
Lovemonkey you actually read those books receantly, wtf :P

well i finnished my book "Luciferian withcraft" the Azal'ucel Edition, Satan speaks By Anton Lavey and satanic scriptures By Peter H. Gilmore

But since receantly I've become selfaware ( ::)), I don't need to read anything because all the answers are infront of me, but I've been thinking of buying books about goetia and sex magic etc for the lols.

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2010, 02:58:31 PM »
 A bridge too far

Enemy at the Gates

The united methodists hymnal

the longest day.

Jory. (better than True Grit.)

first few pages of the book of mormon

Cableguy

• Getbig IV
  • Cableguy no longer...
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2010, 02:58:52 PM »
Only one matters

Picked this up a few weeks ago at the Border's clearance rack for $3.50...:D

Cableguy

• Getbig IV
  • Cableguy no longer...
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2010, 03:03:31 PM »
On the Road---Kerouac
Variety of Deepak Chopra Books
not much else at the moment

Always wanted to read "On The Road". Guess I should! My friend always recommended it. And Deepak Chopra has been on my list as well. What book of his do you recommend most? I've been meaning to read "Ageless Body, Timeless Mind".

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2010, 03:08:37 PM »
While "Glamorous Life" was a good song (especially for 7th grade), it cannot hold a candle to any of Schoolly D's library.

Cool C got busted robbing in Conshohocken, while I was in college, if I recally correctly.

The same year I saw the Pharcyde live (one of the greatest/under-rated albums of all rap time), with Souls of Mischief opening for them.

I met a lot of people on the hip-hop scene, and many respected me because I did not try to be "down" as other white kids did.  I looked at rap as individual educational pieces, that told a story (it should) of a life I did not know or could not comprehend, but needed to know if I were to be able to effectively communicate with those "from the streets"; that is to say those unlike me.

Unfortunately, rap has devolved into generation nothingness.
I think ill read more. I know Schooly D was Deep  i heard.. My friend say he was one of the originals

SilverSpoon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2010, 03:13:47 PM »
Mal, Schooly D was one of the originals for sure.  Check out "P.S.K."
For me, nobody was better than Kool G Rap and Big Daddy Kane, for that time era.
I love to read, and read/digested a lot more books while in law school, which may seem kind of odd.
I used to read while I was working at the gym, during slow hours (books on nutrition, bodybuilding and philosophy were the most often utilized subjects).

Formerly_Owner76

• Getbig III
  • Long Time Troll!
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2010, 05:00:21 PM »