Author Topic: Documentaries - Discussion - Which should I watch?  (Read 383930 times)

The Ugly

• Getbig V
Re: Documentary Thread
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2014, 12:23:15 PM »
Super disturbing.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2014, 03:02:49 AM »

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2015, 04:55:51 AM »

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2015, 02:39:01 AM »

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2015, 12:58:08 PM »

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2015, 07:55:54 PM »
This is about a guy drifting around, barely surviving by fighting and teaching others to fight. He sleeps on trains, etc., and is watching the clock run down on his life.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2015, 07:58:17 PM »
This one focuses on several crack-addicts in Atlanta. It was made by a very young person that took a somewhat holier-than-thou approach to the situation, unfortunately - but the overall watch is very good. It provides an interesting look into a very hard life.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2015, 08:06:32 PM »
Theroux visits a halfway house for sex offenders. It is a fairly intense vid, but amusing at the same time. Theroux watches the house manager run like a madman in circles trying to get the goods on others, before confronting him about his past (the manager had also been convicted of terrible sex crimes, and Theroux planned to dig the knife in deep...so it angles toward that point).

(It may be currently unavailable to stream on youtube. It's called Among the Sex Offenders, from LA Stories)

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2015, 08:11:33 PM »
Great stuff, my brothers. I will start checking these out. Interesting work on this thread, I see.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2015, 09:29:49 AM »
Louis Theroux looks carefully at a situation to find the most effective way to stir the bullshit, which sometimes makes his documentaries pretty borderline (to me), but he's SO good at it, it's tough not to watch...

This is about the Westboro Baptist Church. I actually found myself understanding their POV through this (not necessarily agreeing with it, but it became less mystifying to me):

[/youtube]

BTW, does anyone here agree with the Westboro Church? I've become interested in it and have watched and read everything I could find about them.

I don't plan to take a stand on it in this thread, myself, but it would be interesting to see an opinion on it from a Christian who reads and understands the Bible.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2015, 10:44:55 AM »
BTW, does anyone here agree with the Westboro Church? I've become interested in it and have watched and read everything I could find about them.

I don't plan to take a stand on it in this thread, myself, but it would be interesting to see an opinion on it from a Christian who reads and understands the Bible.

To go a bit further into it, here is the idea behind their stand:

*God punishes a defiant nation by sending it corrupt leaders to deceive, undermine, and destroy the will of the people.

*Homosexuality is the sin that has "pride" firmly attached to it, so it smacks right into the face of God (in other words, there are no pedophelia parades, etc.)

*When a nation comes together to uniformly support such defiance (support in the form of laws and legality, I'd say), God will see the nation destroyed.

They have taken to picketing soldiers' funerals, as they've found it draws the most energy to the claims. The rationale is that the soldiers died fighting for a country whose leaders are determined to defy God, and it makes for an appropriate location to broadcast from. (They believe they are commanded to state the message, and such funerals cause the greatest number of people to take notice, in other words.)

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2015, 03:18:15 PM »
Theroux visits a halfway house for sex offenders. It is a fairly intense vid, but amusing at the same time. Theroux watches the house manager run like a madman in circles trying to get the goods on others, before confronting him about his past (the manager had also been convicted of terrible sex crimes, and Theroux planned to dig the knife in deep...so it angles toward that point).

Wow, good one.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2015, 03:24:26 PM »
Wow, good one.

Yeah, it's one of the few he doesn't have much dishonest editing in, too, so...I like it.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2015, 03:44:11 PM »
Yeah, it's one of the few he doesn't have much dishonest editing in, too, so...I like it.

Sad, troubling, and infuriating at the same time.

Salvador

• Getbig II
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2015, 03:43:46 PM »
i like documentaries about drugs, i watched them all, so hard to find a new one

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2015, 02:01:25 PM »

This was a pretty good one on a heavy metal band just on the tip of success, till drugs did them in -

https://vimeo.com/84340267 .

Old PBS documentary on junkies using a mystery designer drug that leaves them is a semi frozen state that might lead to breakthroughs in brain disease science -

----------------------------------------

Nick Broomfield's documentary on the CYA/California Prison System from the late 1970's -

Disposable Heroes , a mid 1980's HBO documentary on life after football. Mainly about the injuries and breakdowns high contact players suffer -

http://vimeo.com/4683642 .

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2015, 02:12:38 PM »
Also, these two on Hustler, and The National Enquirer are good. They're both on Netflix -

http://vimeo.com/111859845

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2015, 04:29:40 PM »

This was a pretty good one on a heavy metal band just on the tip of success, till drugs did them in -

https://vimeo.com/84340267 .

Wow, BB, that was really something. Totally expected a different epilogue. Better than Anvil.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2015, 08:15:47 PM »
This one focuses on several crack-addicts in Atlanta. It was made by a very young person that took a somewhat holier-than-thou approach to the situation, unfortunately - but the overall watch is very good. It provides an interesting look into a very hard life.

No idea at all how you got this impression, dude hardly said a thing. Just asked a few hopeless junkies brief questions and filmed is all.

White guy was probably the only sympathetic character, assuming he told the truth. Least he tried to get a job/life. Rest gave up years ago, but still managed to point fingers at cops, the city, and anything else that distracted them from the mirror. Frustrating.

Desolate

• Getbig V
  • I dream of Gods
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2015, 10:59:43 PM »
There's nothing quite like a good documentary.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2015, 04:24:47 PM »
No idea at all how you got this impression, dude hardly said a thing. Just asked a few hopeless junkies brief questions and filmed is all.

White guy was probably the only sympathetic character, assuming he told the truth. Least he tried to get a job/life. Rest gave up years ago, but still managed to point fingers at cops, the city, and anything else that distracted them from the mirror. Frustrating.

Yes, I think that's what he wanted you to be left with when you think about crack addicts (black ones, at least).

It's interesting, because the white guy struck me as the one definite liar among the bunch, and the one person whose word couldn't be trusted. The type of guy that will stand there and lie to you without the slightest flinch. I certainly don't believe what he says, or at least that it's the whole story - by a long shot.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2015, 04:26:00 PM »
And for the record: the producer of that doc is black.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2015, 04:28:00 PM »

bump

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2015, 04:29:55 PM »

Post your favorite one.

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2015, 07:30:51 PM »
Very pretty, and surprisingly interesting little documentary on the Terminal Bar which was a fixture in old New York. If you watch a lot of films from the 60's - 70's, you might recognize it, as it was a favorite for exterior shots. The first few are short extras, the longer film at bottom -