Author Topic: Questionable Bible Quotes Thread  (Read 5760 times)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Questionable Bible Quotes Thread
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2012, 07:10:49 PM »
I do enjoy how otherwise nice civil people try to justify atrocious acts in the bible because a God supposedly did it.

Tell me again why a bunch of young boys are leaving the outskirts of a city to antagonize ONE MAN.

Again, 42 of them got mauled; how many of them went after Elijah?

I'll put it this way. If you happen to be in the hood and some Crips or Bloods (many comprised of teen boys) come after you with bad intentions, I'm sure you wouldn't mind having two grizzly bears on your side to even the odds.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2012, 06:30:30 AM »
Thanks for posting that - I didn't actually remember that passage at all. It's certainly a decent effort to argue that references to dinosaurs appear in the Bible. But a problem with the segment you quoted is that it's so abstract that you can really fit anything. I mean, it talks about animals that eat grass and have tubes of bronze for bones and rods of iron for limbs. I can argue that describes some kind of robotic goat, as much as it describes, say, a stegosaurus.

Don't you think tubes for bronze for bones and rods of iron for limbs is symbolic language for strength?  That's how I take it anyway.

I personally don't really see how those descriptions in Job could "really fit anything."

Plus, there's another huge problem: if we are to understand the "Behemoth" in Job 40:15 as a dinosaur, the verse itself poses an almost insurmountable obstacle, because it claims that the "Behemoth" was "made along with [us]"

I don't have a problem w/that.  I believe that all life is "young."  And just to clarify in advance, the bible doesn't specifically state a "young" earth....but it does indicate that life is "young."

Great point! Butterbean, I challenge you to find a reference in the Bible to Dexter Jackson - the forgotten Mr. Olympia ;) Even God snubs "The Blade"!

Are you saying King Saul fell on Dexter and died?
R

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2012, 10:24:32 AM »
Wait a minute, a Christian and an Atheist engaging in a civil manner in a religious thread on Getbig?   Not sure what to make of this.

:D

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2012, 10:47:51 AM »
Wait a minute, a Christian and an Atheist engaging in a civil manner in a religious thread on Getbig?   Not sure what to make of this.

:D

It's the Apocalypse! It started!!! ;D

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2012, 07:55:29 AM »
Thanks for posting that - I didn't actually remember that passage at all. It's certainly a decent effort to argue that references to dinosaurs appear in the Bible. But a problem with the segment you quoted is that it's so abstract that you can really fit anything. I mean, it talks about animals that eat grass and have tubes of bronze for bones and rods of iron for limbs. I can argue that describes some kind of robotic goat, as much as it describes, say, a stegosaurus.

Plus, there's another huge problem: if we are to understand the "Behemoth" in Job 40:15 as a dinosaur, the verse itself poses an almost insurmountable obstacle, because it claims that the "Behemoth" was "made along with [us]"

No you can't. A goat's tail is not like a cedar.

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2012, 09:28:23 AM »
No you can't. A goat's tail is not like a cedar.

;D