Author Topic: Methodology  (Read 582 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Methodology
« on: December 17, 2023, 12:07:09 PM »
What's your bodybuilding methodology in training?  I will list a couple. Feel free to add. This is not comprehensive.

1. One work set to failure after very sub taxing warm up sets if needed.

2. Two Work sets to failure. Naturally if you were doing sets of say 10 reps and took the first one to failure at 10 reps there is no way in hell you could come back to another 10 reps. I do something like stop the first set at 10 reps knowing I could have gutted out say 13 reps and the second set I fail at 10 reps.

3. I think this is huge way to train.  Three or even 6 sets an exercise. Submaximal sets while adding weight each set.

4. This was very comment by many champs of the past like Freddy Ortiz, Danny Padilla, Rick Wayne and many more. Using the same weight every set for a volume approach like three to five sets. Steve Holman bought this style of training back. Basically if you are using five sets per exercise it might look something like this.  First set of 5 x 12 you stop at 12. You could of gotten 20 reps if it was taken to failure. The second set you stop at 12 and could have gotten 17 if you pushed it to failure. Third set you get 12 but could have gotten 15 reps. Fourth set you get 12 but could of gotten 13 reps. Fifth set you fail at 10. 

5. Is being pushed by Ryan Humiston I believe.  Choose a weight you can rep out to 25 reps to failure. Second set go again after a short rest and fail at say 17 reps. Another short rest and you might find yourself failing at 12. Final set you fail at 7 reps. Sounds brutal with all the failing.

6. Is a method that was recently told to me by a bodybuilding star of the 70's that I'm friends with. It's his current training method. He does three sets per exercise. He only rests 20 seconds between sets. All exercises are either a drop in weight or a drop in reps.

7. Is just a common pyramid of adding weight and cutting reps.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: Methodology
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2024, 05:10:28 AM »
Nowadays i just keep it very simple. Donīt bother with all the so called Weider principles but i do like pre-exhaust on my legs. Just simple stuff leg extensions to failure then BB Squats or front squats are even better.
Pyramid training is a classic & Steve Reeves recommended a type of Pyramid training in one of his books using just one basic exercise per muscle group (full body routine). It is a killer but is a new stimulus for growth.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2024, 06:31:12 AM »
When I train heavy, low reps I am achy all the time.

When I train high reps (8-12) this does not happen.

Right now I'm doing higher reps.

Why beat myself up?

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2024, 06:34:33 AM »

Why beat myself up?
exactly look after your health

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2024, 07:54:05 AM »
I get more sore from running than from lifting. Right now I could barely walk down the stairs.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2024, 08:03:58 AM »
I get more sore from running than from lifting. Right now I could barely walk down the stairs.
I have a good friend who disliked weight training & ran marathons for years & now at middle 60s he is nearly a cripple because of two lower back surgeries.
He has been told to stop running but he wonīt
no different to Big Ronnie Colemans mentality

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2024, 12:49:06 AM »

Why beat myself up?
Same here except usually 12-20 reps.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2024, 09:10:34 AM »
Same here except usually 12-20 reps.
Legs are trained well with high reps. Leg press or Hack squats blow up my legs with 15+ reps

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2024, 12:32:02 AM »
Legs are trained well with high reps. Leg press or Hack squats blow up my legs with 15+ reps
Yep, it's hard to build big legs with low reps.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2024, 09:23:12 AM »
Yep, it's hard to build big legs with low reps.
Low reps are no use for building legs. Calves are the same

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2024, 12:24:25 AM »
Low reps are no use for building legs. Calves are the same
That's why most powerlifters have sticks for legs compared to what you would expect from the poundages they are lifting.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2024, 07:37:03 AM »
Both powerlifters and Olympic lifters do low rep sets.  Oly usually sets of more than 2 reps.

Powerlifters do low bar back squats and have poor leg development.

Oly lifters do deep, high bar back squats and deep front squats and have excellent leg development.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2024, 12:37:42 AM »
Both powerlifters and Olympic lifters do low rep sets.  Oly usually sets of more than 2 reps.

Powerlifters do low bar back squats and have poor leg development.

Oly lifters do deep, high bar back squats and deep front squats and have excellent leg development.
Most Olympic lifters are chosen by their country when they are young based on genetic strengths. Powerlifters and bodybuilders are self selected. This could skew that observation.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2024, 10:34:58 AM »
That's why most powerlifters have sticks for legs compared to what you would expect from the poundages they are lifting.
I think maybe nowadays they are more open to other training such as higher reps in their routines