Author Topic: Larry Scott's ideas about training  (Read 101631 times)

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
Larry Scott's ideas about training
« on: May 22, 2007, 03:37:42 PM »
(Larry Scott):

"If your goal is to build biceps the straight bar is much better than the EZ curl bar if done the conventional way.
    In fact, you may have noticed how the EZ curl bar feels real comfortable but it just doesn't seem to produce size increase like the Straight bar does.
    Perhaps this is the reason... The bicep performs two jobs. One, is to curl the arm but the other is to supinate the palm. So, in order to work the bicep completely, you wan to make it do both jobs at once. That just makes sense doesn't it? That's why you make your best progress when you do curls with the palm supinated. The straight bar doesn't supinate the palm but it at least it keeps the palm straight. The EZ curl bar doesn't even do that. It allows the palm to turn half way to the side. Yet we can actually do more weight with an Ez curl bar than with a straight bar. Why is that anyway. It's simple. The more you turn the wrist so the palm is facing down the more you activate the brachio radialus. This is good for building the top of the forearm but it's not so good for the bicep because now it doesn't have to do all the work.
    If your goal is to build huge biceps here's a little trick you can use with the EZ curl bar that makes it even better than the straight bar...
    Grab the EZ curl bar so the palms are pronated but supinated. It's really awkward but man does it place stress right down on the lower bicep. (that beautiful part) I almost hesitate giving that secret away but then again I came to me free so I'm giving it to you free".
What (in Larry Scott's opinion) are the best exercises for each body part?

(Larry Scott):

Okay, here it go's....

Shoulders:
    Standing dumbbell press, standing side lateral raise, bent over lateral raise. These are by far the best. Nothing even come close if they are done with the correct from. However, of all exercises the shoulders are the most difficult to get down pat. You'll need to see a video and watch it over and over before you get it. But once you do man... you'll play some sweet music on deltoid day.

Chest:
    Smith machine press to neck alternated with feet up, 15 degree dumbbell flys. Or Reverse Grip, elbows forward dips alternated with the same kind of dumbbell flys. These are the best I have ever found. But again the form is critical.

Lats:
    Chins, seated scapula mid range pulldowns and Hanging scapula rotations. Each must be done while at the same time performing a total scapular isolation. Otherwise back work is mainly biceps. Again the form makes all the difference in the world.

Abdominals:
    Without a doubt the Ring Of Fire is far and away the champion.

Biceps:
    Lower Bicep; Scott Bench alternate all three 1st dumbbell curls, next straight bar strict curls last EZ Bar reverse grip curls. This is a killer and magnificent for building simple humungous biceps.

Peak Biceps:
    Vertical side of (Scott Bench) or (Spider Bench) curls all kinds.

Triceps:
    Long head: Max Size... No question: Kneeling tricep extension with twin pedestal. It's the king.

External Head: any kind of behind back extension. Like one are dumbbell extension. Standing tricep pressdown is good also.

Lower tricep: next to the elbow The supine dumbbell tricep extension. This is simply wonderful but it has to be done with the correct from.

Forearm:
    Flexors, palms up barbell wrist curl. You must have a small properly designed (forearm bench). In order to get your hips lower than your forearms, etc...

Calves:
    Standing one leg calf raises or donkeys with a (special calf block).

Thighs:
    Quads Smith Squats and Hack squats.

Ham Stings: Sit up bench with V pad bent over quad roaster exercise. What can I say you've got to see how it's done.

These exercises are the best for me anyway. But If I didn't know how to do them I wonder how good they would be but once you learn... I love to see the light go on in the eyes of a serious trainer that thinks he knows everything until he learns these movements.

By the way, almost all these exercises can be learned just by going to the past newsletters section on our web site.
What is the BEST training schedule?

(Larry Scott):

I really don't believe there is one best training schedule. No matter how much you think you've designed the best system, your body will prove you wrong. It always figures it out and then you start to go stale so you have to change. However, the system I have used the longest and seem to get the most results from is... to split the body into 39 muscle groups then work 20 each day for 3 days to get through the entire body. How come the numbers don't add up? Because I like to work all 9 abdominal muscles and one aerobic exercise each day.
How long does all this take to work so many muscle groups?

(Larry Scott):

Only about 12 to 15 minutes. How is this possible?... Long and interesting story.

I suggest changing exercises every day if you want to stay fresh and motivated. If you are training for strength you will have to stick to the same exercises longer to develop technique and tendon strength. But watch out for stales and injuries.
How important is nutrition in training?

(Larry Scott):

It depends on your goals...

If your goal is losing bodyfat, nutrition is about 90%
    If your goal is strength and size, nutrition is about 60%
    If your goal is to get huge, nutrition is about 70%
    if you're taking Hyper Growth Formula.
What is the difference between bodybuilding, weightlifting and powerlifting?

(Larry Scott):

Bodybuilding:
    Trying to get as big and cut as is humanly possible.

Weightlifting:
    It's a generic term - could mean anything that involves lifting weights.

Power-lifting:
    The goals are not size but power. To see how much you can bench, deadlift, and squat.
What is your (Larry Scott's) philosophy on Steroids?

(Larry Scott):

The Universe is not designed to enable you to get something for nothing. You may get quick size but you will have to pay for it some time and some how.
How do you (Larry Scott) keep staying motivated?

Change your program every day, not just the sets and reps but even the philosophy. That's why our (Bio Phase) personal training is so good.

Your program constantly changes. It's the secret to continued progress and staying motivated. Nothing motivates you like seeing your body improve. If you keep making progess you'll stay motivated.
How do you train with an injury?

(Larry Scott):

You can't make an injury better by ignoring the pain. It just gets worse. Also, if you lay off, the pain just "sits there." The method that seems to works best is... to get circulation into the injured area without causing extra pain. I mean any pain.

Because...

If you grit your teeth and put up with even a little bit of pain, the injury doesn't go away. It just gets worse. The exercise has to be totally pain free.

That's why "Slow Rep Speed" is perfect for detecting exactly where and when the pain is coming. As the exercise is done very slowly you can detect exactly when the pain occurs and can then move the elbow, the wrist, or change the body position whatever it takes to get rid of the pain. In this way, you can still do the exercise and rehabilitate the injured joint at the same time.

Once you've got the "pain free" track nailed down, you're on your way to rapid healing.

"What If The Pain Still Won't Go Away?"

Sometimes the pain is persistent and won't go away even with this "Slow Movement" type of exercise therapy. If the pain persists, follow these rules and your recovery should be much faster.

Rule #1
    Once you get injured... everything changes. Forget about your current rate of progress. Your new goal is to heal the injury. Focus all your attention on getting better.

Rule #2
    Don't lay off... It doesn't help. The pain just stays with you... It doesn't seem to matter how long you lay off. You must actually work the injury out of the joint. Which leads to the next rule...

Rule #3
    Find exercises that cause no pain. This is important! When I say no pain, I mean no pain. Not pain that is tolerable or less than it was. I mean no pain. Simply put... pain sets up a histamine reaction which causes swelling and blocks circulation just like your nose plugs up with allergies...That's why you take anti-histamines to reduce the swelling. Using pain-free exercises gets circulation into the injured area.

Note: the exercise has to be pain free even before you warm up the joint. Not after.

Rule #4
    Don't be fooled by Endorphin release. It will mask the pain. Even if you can't feel it... the injury is still taking place. You must find exercises that don't cause pain without any warm-up. This will accelerate the healing tremendously.

Rule #5
    After you have found pain-free exercises, continue to work the area using the very slow rep speed method. It will stimulate circulation and sweep out all the accumulated toxins.

Rule #6
    Ice the injured area each night until it goes numb. Your body will sense the cold and send more nutrient rich blood to the injured area. Be careful you don't overdo it and get frostbite.

Rule #7
    Take aspirin about every three hours. It is a mild anti-inflammatory and allegedly thins the blood to aid in penetrating the swollen tissues. Don't take it before workouts as it will mask pain. You need pain to tell you when you are re-injuring yourself.

Rule #8
    Don't ignore the first signs of pain. Be alert on every exercise. If you feel a little tinge of pain, either make adjustments in your exercise form or stop the exercise and go to something else. Most of the damage can be avoided if you're alert to the very first signs of pain. (Joint pain, not the lactic acid pain associated with muscles working.)
Squishy face retard

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Re: Larry Scott's ideas about training
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 04:45:55 AM »
shouldnt this be on the main board
Z

Herc

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 09:47:54 PM »
Larry Scott conned me about 10 years ago when I bought his hyper growth formula which is a total scam and doesnt do anything. I spent like 200 bucks on that crap and didnt finish all of it because it was the most horrible tasting stuff I ever had and it didnt do anything at all. He gives a lot of fake science about how milk makes babies grow and tries to link that growth to the growth you will get from his product.  Im not sure if he is still giving the same pitch but if his bs were true then people would stop using steriods because he used to claim his product was way more powerfull and steriods.  He advocates super slow lifting which simply doesnt hit the right muscle fibers to cause much growth.  He talkes about like a 20 second contraction which will cause a lot of lactic acid buildup but thats about it.  I tried it for a while and I just got weaker.  I cant believe he's still in buisness.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 10:06:28 PM »
Larry Scott conned me about 10 years ago when I bought his hyper growth formula which is a total scam and doesnt do anything. I spent like 200 bucks on that crap and didnt finish all of it because it was the most horrible tasting stuff I ever had and it didnt do anything at all. He gives a lot of fake science about how milk makes babies grow and tries to link that growth to the growth you will get from his product.  Im not sure if he is still giving the same pitch but if his bs were true then people would stop using steriods because he used to claim his product was way more powerfull and steriods.  He advocates super slow lifting which simply doesnt hit the right muscle fibers to cause much growth.  He talkes about like a 20 second contraction which will cause a lot of lactic acid buildup but thats about it.  I tried it for a while and I just got weaker.  I cant believe he's still in buisness.
Don't know about all this but he built his triceps using CG bench and these extensions.  Guys like Matarazzo used a lot of preacher curls (free weight and cables) and had great biceps.
Squishy face retard

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 09:37:07 AM »

what's in it exactly?
nasser=piece of shit

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 05:51:37 PM »
Only thing I can add is I've watched his DVD "A life of..." or something and while it's pretty nice to listen to him... his advice seems solid though not that practical.
The hand postitioning when doing db-shoulder and -benchpresses(dbs-handles form a V instead of an A) is, at least for me, not possible during my heaviest set.
He had awesome genetics(full round muscle bellies..esp. arms)... yet he permanently states how awful his genes are  ::)

swat

• Getbig I
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 11:59:36 AM »
I worked directly for (Biophase) which is Larry Scott's company ran out of Kaysville Utah. They conned me into selling their training and supplements... Hyper Growth, Nitro Amp, Ultra Pro, etc...... and all of it was fake!! There is nothing sold in supp shops or on gym counters that will give you gains like gear and anyone who believes that or listens to it then go to some other board...... You think their supps are garbage.... Listen to this. I was made to hire people that had absolutely no  background in fitness or training and they were training people in the gym..... No results, No gains, No losses, etc....

In his day, Larry was the man and still can be looked at like a legend and I am in no way dogging him but he should get the people that run his company, out and start over with someone that can keep his name on the pedistal it should be and not damaged like it is becoming.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 12:20:55 PM »
I was not impressed with Larry's attitudes on the two occasions i contacted him, even though he claims to be very open-minded to exchanges of ideas which i would not agree with. But in terms of training and general nutrition concepts that are decades old and yet still as valid as anything now, he's the real deal and far ahead of most. As far as the recent supplements i don't know, can only guess they'd be true to the old stuff but it's just a guess.

laurion

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 05:26:18 PM »
In a word .... genius.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 07:37:48 PM »
Scott has hinted in the past that his protein supplement(s) were pretty much the same as Rheo Blairs. Misleading to say the least.

Blairs protein compounds were a blend of milk solids and whole eggs, produced at a low heat yield.  Trying to come close enough to mothers milk as possible. Blair had great success with Scott and other era BB'ers at that time with his proteins. Main intake for the Blair (Irv Johnson..original name) supplement and feeding program were the Blair proteins usually mixed with heavy whipping creme or half & half. Adding liver tabs throughout the day. The B vitamin family was was very important to the Blair plan. Other parts was mostly red meat and more eggs. Steak and eggs was the breakfast of champions for those BB'ers. A little veggies also. Mostly a high fat, high calorie low carb diet.

Guy's gain muscle mass while losing body fat at the same time. Keeping a positive nitrogen balance throughout the day seem to be very important when on that program .When Blair died all his secrets went to the grave with him. Some people trying to sell his "original" supplements on the internet are just bogus.

Scott also got most of his training ideas from Vince Gironda. Gironda and Blair were the true genius and progressive thinkers behind successful BB'ing at that time. The Scott bench was the off shoot of the original preachers stand pioneered (among others...Redman I think) by Gironda. The "V" bar, and the different knuckle/hand positions on it, were Vince's. As well as very affective different versions of chinning.

Genetic disadvantage of Scott's were his narrow shoulders.  Which he over came with one of the best set of 3 headed delts around. Also the impressive delt/pec tie in. But those arms could be huge and awesome with their size and almost perfect balance between the bicep and tricep. Heard 20" at his best. Doubt if Scott ever weighted much over the 200lb mark in contest shape. So much more the remarkable. People have written , that in top condition, Scott's skin seem to have a glow. Heard that about other BB'ers at that time. Some suggest all the liver tabs they took all day long. Do not know.

All time great and all that, but that does not make Scott any more honest than any other supplement making businessman. Always the profit to consider. Getting into the black one way or another is the main cause and effect in business.
F

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 06:34:44 PM »

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 06:37:05 PM »

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 06:39:03 PM »

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 02:37:35 AM »
Scott at age 70 working out in June 09. Apparently still recovering from broken ribs.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/1597100

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 04:57:30 AM »

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 09:49:36 AM »
I had never seen that training video of Scott's workout before. Presented by that all time great, pumpster.

I know that Scott is 70, in that video, but moves around like a much older man. His spinal deformity is quite a surprise, which gives to wonder if he was in the best of health at that time. No taking away his past greatness and glory, with one of the better delt/pec tie in's in BB'ing history. Hope he keeps training to his 100's.

F

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2012, 07:36:01 AM »
I had never seen that training video of Scott's workout before. Presented by that all time great, pumpster.

Pumpster was not impressed by "The Great Scott" as indicated above.

For everyone else:

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2012, 07:36:39 AM »

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2012, 07:37:53 AM »

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2012, 07:38:48 AM »

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2012, 07:39:43 AM »

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2012, 04:28:39 AM »
source: http://ironguru.com/training-methods-of-larry-scott

Training Methods of Larry Scott  

Irvin Johnson had just asked Larry Scott about his training programs and exercise schedules. Larry had already talked at length about his background and brought us up to date on his progress in training over the past 9 years. Contrary to what many would have you believe, Larry has never performed any miracles of progress. Every pound, every inch he has gained has been through hard work and good nutrition.

If you are looking for secrets of overnight success you will be disappointed, but if you are willing to work as hard as Larry has and if you're willing to deny yourself other pleasures and activities as Larry has over a period of 9 or more years, then you can expect progress of a satisfactory nature. You may not become the best built man in the world for you may not have inherited the correct muscle shape, bone structure, skin texture and you may not have come from sturdy ancestors, but you can make great improvement and develop a good physique for your own type.

You must recognize the direction in which your talents lay and then work in this direction for perfection. There has been much speculation that Scott has a magic and secret formula of exercise. Such is not so. The following interview tells you essentially how Larry trains.

IRVIN JOHNSON: Larry, we would like to know how you trained over the years and how you train now. Have you varied your training or have you trained the same over the years?

LARRY SCOTT: Well, Irvin, the type of exercise I and the other fellows use varies a great deal from time to time. We generally use an exercise until we cease to progress on it and then change to another. This generally lasts a couple of months. Thus the workout program is in a constant state of flux. You reach stale periods after a certain length of time in which you experience no growth. Then you change your exercise or exercises or your routine. So over the period of 9 years I have been training, I have used many different routines and exercises. I experienced results from all of them but there is no one perfect or permanent exercise nor no best or permanent routine. My routines in the past have probably been the same as those used by other top bodybuilders.

IRVIN: Can you tell us something about your present routines, exercises, repetitions, sets, frequency of training etc. ?

LARRY: At present I'm on what you might call a Split-Routine system--not in the commonly accepted term but one I have worked out which seems to suit me best. It might not be the best for anyone else but it works very well for me.

First, I train 6 days per week on this type of routine. Here is how I work. This is important. I work approximately 2 or 3 muscles or muscle groups per day. I do 3 to 4 exercises for each muscle or muscle group 2 or 21/2 times per week.

Keeping in mind the above routine, I do 8 to 10 repetitions for each set and from 6 to 8 and sometimes even 10 sets. This holds true of all muscle areas but the calves and forearms. Because of the nature of their muscle fibers I use higher rep's (up to 20 repetitions).

I finish many of my sets with the "burns" (rapid, short movements to give an intense, aching, burning feeling).

Considering the above you will find that I do about 20 to 30 sets per body part, muscle or muscle group.

Let me use the biceps as an illustration. I would probably use about 4 different exercises for the biceps and 5 to 6 sets for each exercise of 8 to 10 repetitions. This would make a total of 24 sets for the biceps. If I were working the Biceps, Triceps, and Deltoids today. I would have 4 exercises for each and say 5 sets of each exercise or a total of 60 sets for my workout today. This type of workout takes me about 2 hours. I do not rest too much between exercises or between sets but try to keep moving along pretty well.

Tomorrow I would work another body part or group of muscle, perhaps two or three groups or single muscles as the case might be. So each day I change body parts, groups of muscles or individual muscles. I get back to these muscles about twice per week. Each workout takes me about 2 hours each night or 12 hours work per week.

I try to do the next set of exercise as soon as I can after the previous set in order to keep as much blood as possible in the muscle and maintain the pump and achieve a "burn".

This system might not be good for everyone but it works well for me.

IRVIN: Could you tell us whether you try to use heavy weights in all your exercises or do you prefer medium or light poundages?

LARRY: I never have used extremely heavy weights for my exercises. In the curl for instance it is pretty rare if I ever go over 150 lbs.

Probably much of the reason for my not using heavier weights is the type of gym I work out in. I do all my workouts in Vince's (Vince Gironda) gym and this gym is not oriented towards heavy weights. It is aimed more at training for shape and definition I guess this is because Vince himself has this type of physique.

Much of the exercise done is of the isolation nature--that is certain muscles are exercised alone rather than in groups and in this type of exercise you do not and can not use as heavy a poundage.

Vince's gym has many pieces of specialized equipment for doing isolated muscle movements. There are several pieces of equipment just for doing specialized biceps and triceps movements. We do not do exercises like cheating curls, cheating presses etc.

IRVIN: Thank you Larry for telling us the details of your training. Now would you care to tell us something about your diet. I understand that you feel most bodybuilders fail to achieve their goals because of poor nutrition than for any other reason. I believe you once told me that you felt nutrition was more important than exercise.

LARRY: Basically I eat a lot of meat, cheese, and eggs. I like cottage cheese and meat--mostly beef in various forms. I eat almost no carbohydrates and very few vegetables. I supplement my diet with Johnson's Protein. That is about it. It's a rather bland diet but it seems to work best for me at the present time anyhow.

IRVIN: I understand that during your big gains-that is from approximately 170 or 175 to your top 210, you used large amounts of protein supplement. Would you care to tell us how much you did use and how you used it?

LARRY: I was using from 11/2 to 2 cups of Johnson's Protein (Rheo H. Blair's Protein) per day. I would mix it with cream and milk. I used about 2/3 of a quart of cream a day in mixing this along with the milk to make it the desired consistency. I took this protein-cream mix three times per day. I would eat 6 to 8 times per day. I would have breakfast, then a snack at 10 A. M. and then lunch at noon, then another snack at 2:30 P.M., then dinner plus the Protein-Cream drink. My evening meal is eaten after I work out.

COMMENTS BY JOHNSON: Larry Scott is not a big eater -- that is he does not like to eat big meals, therefore he has to eat more often and he needs the concentrate food such as protein supplements etc. Larry has also taken other supplements just before contests to help in his improvement, even tho it is too expensive for him to take regularly. He takes B complex and a special Liver Formula. He also takes special Hydrochloric acid tablets. These assist in the digestion of protein. Larry has told me that he feels that proper nutrition is 85% of the battle of bodybuilding.

Larry is the hardest worker I have seen in all my years of association with bodybuilding. He is a slow and hard gainer and so he has to work hard. He should be an inspiration to others who also find it hard to gain, illustrating that success will come from persistence, hard work, and good nutrition.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2014, 07:41:42 PM »
R.I.P., Larry.

Thanks for the information and the inspiration!!!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2014, 08:15:43 AM »
Wow....Montague is really up on these things.

Did a check and Scott died from Alzheimer's on march 8th in Salt Lake City. Started, and ended, a whole new era in BB'ing.

Read, a while back, that Scott said he did have true 20" guns (measured cold and with a steel tape), though he said he held the measurement for only a few weeks. Said his arms hurt all the time during that brief time, even when resting/sleeping. Almost like his body was rejecting the increased muscle mass. Scott overcame many physical disadvantages to become one of the top BB'ers of all time.  R.I.P.
F

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2014, 07:14:57 AM »
Wow....Montague is really up on these things.

Did a check and Scott died from Alzheimer's on march 8th in Salt Lake City. Started, and ended, a whole new era in BB'ing.

Read, a while back, that Scott said he did have true 20" guns (measured cold and with a steel tape), though he said he held the measurement for only a few weeks. Said his arms hurt all the time during that brief time, even when resting/sleeping. Almost like his body was rejecting the increased muscle mass. Scott overcame many physical disadvantages to become one of the top BB'ers of all time.  R.I.P.

Yes!
Perhaps his biggest genetic disadvantage was his narrow clavicles and natural ectomorph predisposition, but he was truly blessed with a tremendous response to the training, nutrition, and supplement programs with which he achieved his phenomenal results and success!!