Author Topic: CrossFit - Nadia Shatila's 100 Pull-ups in 2:53  (Read 74049 times)

deviant

• Getbig IV
  • C.U.N.T
Re: More Crossfit Nonsense
« Reply #275 on: May 19, 2013, 11:25:03 AM »
Albany Crossfit Strongman The worst weightlifting video in the history of weightlifting ;D

Brilliant.

I dont understand why they are using massively over sized plates?....the weight is tiny so why not use the appropriate sized small metal plates?....it reinforces my belief that a lot of this is about ego and the plates are designed to look as big and impressive as possible while actually weighing fuck all.

One of the cross fit guys was in the gym deadlifting with what looked like a shit load of weight the other day, when he'd finished i wondered over to see how much he was lifting (they never clear their weights away by the way, its like that kind of thing is beneath them).....it was only 100kg/225lb but was made up of the thickest most comically oversized plates i've ever seen....why?

The first girl in the video above looks like she is using 4 plates a side for fucks sake....that should be 400lb....but its clearly not.

Why the fake plates?

???
C.U.N.T

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #276 on: May 19, 2013, 11:28:01 AM »
ok...ok... some exercises they do like rope climbing aint bad...give you nice lats and arms if you climb with just your arms.. ;)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #277 on: May 19, 2013, 11:35:35 AM »

Stephano

• Getbig IV
« Reply #278 on: May 19, 2013, 11:54:12 AM »

None of those idiots even look like they exercise. 
And what's up with all the guys in shoulder-slings?   :-X

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #279 on: May 19, 2013, 12:29:50 PM »
To be fair, this is one of those "fish rots from the head down" things that destroys the whole thing. Originally when Crossfit started it was the head guy, Glassman, plus the logistics guys, and then a small group of coaches. Then as it grew things got worse.

They started offering "box gyms" to coaches, then to regular people, provided that they took Crossfit certificate programs, which at the time were run by mostly real coaches. Now here's where a big part of the bad training and programming started, there was overwhelming demand for these courses.  Some weeks I remember coaches talking about 20 - 30 grand over a weekend. As the money started to roll in, Glassman, the logistics guys, and a couple of the coaches started to offer courses in everything, and more folks were bought in.

This also started to disrupt much of the actual good training advice that was going on there. As more box gyms were bought, and more courses were sold, more of these new trainers started to ask for time to promote their new businesses, and that's when it really started to get shitty. Instead of training that actually was decent, you got a lot of very lack luster trainers that were allowed main page access because of the money they were pumping into the business of Crossfit.

This also caused a balkanization inside of Crossfit that really did it a diservice. As more of these novice trainers were allowed to program Crossfit, the good ones that were there started to speak out against it, and then were branded traitors if they did. It got so bad that a couple of the coaches had troll accounts that they used to correct the bad info that was being put out on the site.

Also Crossfit has always been brand conscious, and it got a whole lot more aggressive with its censorship and insularity during this time. Even the tiniest perceived insult could develop into a multi - page dressing down on the mainsite, sometimes completely wiping out any reference to a person or product in the Crossfit online universe.

If you look at a timespan between 2006 - 2009, you'll see a pretty large split between the better coaches and Crossfit headquarters. This also helps explain why you'll see that a lot of named better coaches are there now sometimes move on to mostly other things, and sometimes just keep the name for marketing purposes.

There is good Crossfit stuff, but you got to dig for it now.

Wow, crossfit is serious biddeness..

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #280 on: May 19, 2013, 12:52:05 PM »
Wow, crossfit is serious biddeness..

Lulz, I just feel bad for a lot of the old timers that were involved in it, having seen it grow in the last decade. There really were a lot of interesting and decent folks involved in it over the years.

The whole Crossfit story from beginning till now would actually make a good long form article, if you could find a reasonably objective source to write it. And not from an exercise perspective, but from a business and personal side.

Here's a business started by a reasonably unknown figure, with little more than an average gym that's managed to turn it into a mid 8 figure company based really on just a name and a general philosophy.  And in the middle there was lots of sex and general rat fuckery amongst many of the main players.  

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #281 on: May 19, 2013, 01:10:23 PM »
If you can't lift heavy weights then this is ok I guess.

deceiver

• Getbig IV
  • onetimehard appreciation team
« Reply #282 on: May 19, 2013, 01:33:30 PM »
Lulz, I just feel bad for a lot of the old timers that were involved in it, having seen it grow in the last decade. There really were a lot of interesting and decent folks involved in it over the years.

The whole Crossfit story from beginning till now would actually make a good long form article, if you could find a reasonably objective source to write it. And not from an exercise perspective, but from a business and personal side.

Here's a business started by a reasonably unknown figure, with little more than an average gym that's managed to turn it into a mid 8 figure company based really on just a name and a general philosophy.  And in the middle there was lots of sex and general rat fuckery amongst many of the main players.  

It's same old story, it's been told many times.

Great idea, promising initial execution. Then money comes in, everything grows, guys in charge become greedy... I'm not blaming them for being so, I would do exactly same thing were I one of them.

Youtube, google, bodybuilding, esports...

Compare esports from early stage - from Thresh winning his Ferrari, great games betwee zero4, fatality then cooller and czm, boxer in starcraft, Jaedong till fucking League of Legends, World of Warcraft and other bullshit games.

From Reg Park to Sergio, Arnold, Nubret... to Branch fucking Warren.

From great site that provided many good quality videos to commercials, lags, errors.

From search engine to data mining, cryptic data storages holding every bit of information about you for the sake of "personalization" of results.

Seven Copper Coins

• Getbig IV
« Reply #283 on: May 19, 2013, 01:34:07 PM »
okay i think we had different definitions for "fine". yeah, no doubt if you made the transition, a guy with your strength and conditioning could transition well. i did the same. my first workout was Murph some years ago (1 mile, 100pullups, 200 pushups, 300 air squats, 1 mile) and i did it in around 47 minutes. far from a record breaker, but for never having done it, not bad. i thought you meant you could hop on over to CF and start cleaning house. my mistake.

in FACT, most will say that having a solid strength base is far, FAR more important than being in good shape aerobically. so lifters tend to excel beyond runners and whatnot. look at the top guys, they're all very, very strong. rich froning overhead squats over 3 plates for reps, the AVERAGE clean and jerk for the guys at the CF games is around 315. this notion that crossfit is just a bunch of 140lb idiots flapping around is like judging powerlifting by the fatasses bounce benching 275.

the thing is, those videos? THEY'RE NOT DOING IT RIGHT. with scant few exceptions like the very FIRST video which was a butterfly kip demonstration, you guys are posting up examples of it done WRONG and saying "see that's why this is bad." no, THAT VIDEO is bad.

will CF the fad die down? i sure fucking hope so. because it's trendy now you have ten million people doing it wrong and looking like idiots, giving the whole sport a bad name. at my gym there are two of us who CF and we're constantly getting poked at (in good humor, but still) for doing it.

you wanna see what crossfit can be? like, when it's done RIGHT? behold, king kong:

Cool. And i agree.

Heres my take on the CF "fails" and gym "fails"

Yeah, it's funny to watch some dude lose a squat and weights go flying, or bounce a bar off his throat on a bench fail....but heres the thing....they weren't doing anything retarded, they just fucked up, and need some guidance. Bench...Squat..totally normal shit you see in the gym every day.

Then you see crossfitters jumping rope on a bosu ball wearing a gas mask. ..under the supervision of a trainer. Or getting ran over by cars...with 50 people watching.  It's the act itself that is idiotic, not the person just fucking up. There is no comparison , the inherent lunacy that is practiced by CFers is ridiculous...and it's all just for show.  You want to increase your VO2 max....go for a run. Without a gas mask on and a chain around your neck...LOL.

AS far as CFers attitude...I have told this story before. I was working in a power rack, had my bag there, bottle..the whole nine. Bar loaded up...I go to the water fountain to fill my bottle. Went straight there and straight back, and these three crossfit chicks are setting up a circuit, and using the power rack I was working in as part of it. I very nicely (serious) inform them I wasnt done...and this chick says..with utter "fuck you" in her tone....."well you should have put a towel over the bar to indicate the machine is taken...we are using it now."  To which I laughed in her face, picked up her water bottle and launched it across the gym, and proceeded to re-load my machine.

Thats extreme, but you cant tell.me crossfit doesnt have that, "we are so special" vibe..it's prevalent.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #284 on: May 19, 2013, 01:41:25 PM »

No, but then again, regular lifting or powerlifting does not promote this...

What the fuck does this accomplish? It would make sense if he were trying out for the traveling circus.

Trapper_Slapper

• Getbig IV
  • Clean and Jerks pull the bitches!
« Reply #285 on: May 19, 2013, 01:49:54 PM »
Cool. And i agree.

Yeah, it's funny to watch some dude lose a squat and weights go flying, or bounce a bar off his throat on a bench fail....but heres the thing....they weren't doing anything retarded, they just fucked up, and need some guidance. Bench...Squat..totally normal shit you see in the gym every day.

Then you see crossfitters jumping rope on a bosu ball wearing a gas mask. ..under the supervision of a trainer. Or getting ran over by cars...with 50 people watching.  It's the act itself that is idiotic, not the person just fucking up. There is no comparison , the inherent lunacy that is practiced by CFers is ridiculous...and it's all just for show.  You want to increase your VO2 max....go for a run. Without a gas mask on and a chain around your neck...LOL.

AS far as CFers attitude...I have told this story before. I was working in a power rack, had my bag there, bottle..the whole nine. Bar loaded up...I go to the water fountain to fill my bottle. Went straight there and straight back, and these three crossfit chicks are setting up a circuit, and using the power rack I was working in as part of it. I very nicely (serious) inform them I wasnt done...and this chick says..with utter "fuck you" in her tone....."well you should have put a towel over the bar to indicate the machine is taken...we are using it now."  To which I laughed in her face, picked up her water bottle and launched it across the gym, and proceeded to re-load my machine.

Thats extreme, but you cant tell.me crossfit doesnt have that, "we are so special" vibe..it's prevalent.

Even if I was on a treadmill at mid run, I'd calmly hit the pause button, walk over to the area of where this situation occurred, extend my index finger in a pointing manner, and project an antagonizing laugh in that woman's face after witnessing that.

Nicely done sir...nicely done. 8)

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #286 on: May 19, 2013, 01:53:10 PM »
Cool. And i agree.

AS far as CFers attitude...I have told this story before. I was working in a power rack, had my bag there, bottle..the whole nine. Bar loaded up...I go to the water fountain to fill my bottle. Went straight there and straight back, and these three crossfit chicks are setting up a circuit, and using the power rack I was working in as part of it. I very nicely (serious) inform them I wasnt done...and this chick says..with utter "fuck you" in her tone....."well you should have put a towel over the bar to indicate the machine is taken...we are using it now."  To which I laughed in her face, picked up her water bottle and launched it across the gym, and proceeded to re-load my machine.

Right or wrong, the chick had a point. How were they supposed to know you were still on it?

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #287 on: May 19, 2013, 01:55:01 PM »
They all look like shit.

Seven Copper Coins

• Getbig IV
« Reply #288 on: May 19, 2013, 02:04:13 PM »
Right or wrong, the chick had a point. How were they supposed to know you were still on it?

Maybe the gym bag , the belt and the 400 pounds on the machine ? If i was gone 5 minutes i could see it, I was gone a minute. And even so....if you went to use a machine and someone politely informed you they were still on it, you are gonna tell them "tough shit" ? I've NEVER done that. Gym etiquette

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #289 on: May 19, 2013, 02:18:09 PM »
It's same old story, it's been told many times.

Great idea, promising initial execution. Then money comes in, everything grows, guys in charge become greedy... I'm not blaming them for being so, I would do exactly same thing were I one of them.

Youtube, google, bodybuilding, esports...

Compare esports from early stage - from Thresh winning his Ferrari, great games betwee zero4, fatality then cooller and czm, boxer in starcraft, Jaedong till fucking League of Legends, World of Warcraft and other bullshit games.

From Reg Park to Sergio, Arnold, Nubret... to Branch fucking Warren.

From great site that provided many good quality videos to commercials, lags, errors.

From search engine to data mining, cryptic data storages holding every bit of information about you for the sake of "personalization" of results.

Great skills + loved how Carmack looked back then  ;D

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #290 on: May 19, 2013, 02:20:02 PM »
I will beat the piss out of those fags.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #291 on: May 19, 2013, 02:52:58 PM »

Crossfit appears dangerous, and does not seem to have the research to back its efficacy. I mean, you cannot even compare the trainers who train olympic athletes compared to these crossfit trainers. ridiculous.

Makimba Mimms, who suffered injuries while performing a CrossFit workout on December 11, 2005, at Manassas World Gym in Manassas, VA under the supervision of an uncertified trainer,[39] claimed that CrossFit poses an elevated risk of rhabdomyolysis. He successfully sued his trainers and was awarded $300,000 in damages.[40]

According to Dr. Stuart McGill, a professor of spine biomechanics at the University of Waterloo, the risk of injury from some CrossFit exercises outweighs their benefits when they are performed with poor form in timed workouts. He added there are similar risks in other exercise programs but noted that CrossFit's online community enables athletes to follow the program without proper guidance, increasing the risk.[41]

Articles on many websites criticize CrossFit for its lack of periodization, lack of quality-control accreditation standards for trainers or affiliates, and illogical or random exercise sequences.[28][42]

Some publications have raised concerns that CrossFit promotes a potentially dangerous atmosphere that encourages people, particularly newcomers to CrossFit, to train past their limits, resulting in injury.[43][44]

Wow...shall I pull out the risk/rewards of powerlifting?  You site references yet fail to produce publication sited.  You mention a case of someone suing, yet how many cases have you looked up with "regular" trainers injuring clients?  None...

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #292 on: May 19, 2013, 02:55:36 PM »

No, but olympic powerlifting has professional trainers who know their stuff! these are experts in regards to biomechanics, nutritions, exercise physiology, etc. The chances of being injured are drastically reduced, as opposed to these so called "expert" crossfit trainers.

How cant you see that difference?

I don't recall there being anything called olympic powerlifting.  I sure hope that you also go after the "expert personal fitness" trainers with the same voracity as you do a CF trainer.  The gym trainers claim they are fitness experts too. 

Just because someone is a professional trainer doesn't mean they are good. 

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #293 on: May 19, 2013, 02:59:06 PM »

No, but then again, regular lifting or powerlifting does not promote this...

Hmmmm.....she is definitely not going to build slabs of muscle on her pecs doing this...

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #294 on: May 19, 2013, 03:00:39 PM »

When you see dumb-ass photos like that it adds weight to the argument that CF was invented by physiotherapists and Chiropractors in order to give them an endless supply of customers.

When in the hell did ANYONE ever say that?  Please, let the adults speak Jeff before you are left to start another thread about leaving.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #295 on: May 19, 2013, 03:02:16 PM »
Crossfit is for fags that can't lift heavy.

I guess my 505 dead is "light" for you?

Whats your best Clean and Jerk?  Best squat snatch?  Oh wait, I bet you can swing DB's up for some 70lb curls....

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #296 on: May 19, 2013, 03:04:48 PM »
Do you use Kleenex or store brand when you post ???

For what?

BTW...I would like to invite you to the next CF games this summer.  I wrote an e-mail and they want to use your head in one of the workouts for the ring toss for time.  Don't worry, the rings will be rubber coated.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #297 on: May 19, 2013, 03:09:01 PM »
The fact that CF gyms are so expensive lead me to believe that they are just trying to market to a bunch of naive people who really do not know what they are doing.  :-\ :-\

So, I guess Lifetime fitness charging $79 a month (on the lower end) is not that far away from making big money in the gym industry.

So, lets have one you experts out there point out the form flaws?

Brilliant.

I dont understand why they are using massively over sized plates?....the weight is tiny so why not use the appropriate sized small metal plates?....it reinforces my belief that a lot of this is about ego and the plates are designed to look as big and impressive as possible while actually weighing fuck all.

One of the cross fit guys was in the gym deadlifting with what looked like a shit load of weight the other day, when he'd finished i wondered over to see how much he was lifting (they never clear their weights away by the way, its like that kind of thing is beneath them).....it was only 100kg/225lb but was made up of the thickest most comically oversized plates i've ever seen....why?

The first girl in the video above looks like she is using 4 plates a side for fucks sake....that should be 400lb....but its clearly not.

Why the fake plates?

???

OMG...Seriously?  Have you never heard of bumper plates??  Do you see olympic lifters using "real" metal plates?  Wow....the retard is extremely high in your post. 

Groink...do you realize who actually started the whole gas mask thing?  MMA guys.  Look up Shawn Sherk and his training mask.

At this point I feel this thread has given me my mental workout for the day....I finished it in under 50 posts....a PR for me.  I enjoy it.  I am going to go grab me some cookies and some chips and watch The Dark Knight.

Chaos, try and elevate those feet once in a while....brings the ankle swelling down.

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #298 on: May 19, 2013, 03:13:03 PM »
Wow...shall I pull out the risk/rewards of powerlifting?  You site references yet fail to produce publication sited.  You mention a case of someone suing, yet how many cases have you looked up with "regular" trainers injuring clients?  None...

Hey sausage tits,

Pointing out that something else is stupid doesn't make your thing any less stupid.  This thread isn't a "bodybuilding and powerlifting are awesome" thread.  It is a "Crossfit is retarded, queer and dangerous" thread.  The photo and video evidence posted here is pretty conclusive.  Crossfit is indefensible.

If people want to do something that is retarded, queer and dangerous then go for it.  It's a free country.  I'd just prefer they not strut around with a superiority complex about how intense and hardcore they are.  Talk about a false sense of accomplishment.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #299 on: May 19, 2013, 03:15:25 PM »
Hey sausage tits,

Pointing out that something else is stupid doesn't make your thing any less stupid.  This thread isn't a "bodybuilding and powerlifting are awesome" thread.  It is a "Crossfit is retarded, queer and dangerous" thread.  The photo and video evidence posted here is pretty conclusive.  Crossfit is indefensible.

If people want to do something that is retarded, queer and dangerous then go for it.  It's a free country.  I'd just prefer they not strut around with a superiority complex about how intense and hardcore they are.  Talk about a false sense of accomplishment.
Hi Chaos.