Author Topic: The speed of a knock out punch  (Read 1273 times)

jbflift

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
The speed of a knock out punch
« on: May 28, 2007, 05:55:54 PM »
Just curious what is normally the speed of a knock out punch in MMA?  Granted it's bare knuckle for all practical purposes.  I know a lot comes into play where you get hit.  But at what velocity/speed is the fist traveling?  Sometimes the fighter walks into the punch which will just make that hit that much harder.  I ask this because a lot of times the hits just don't seem that hard.  Yes, I have been hit many of times and I am not a novice to MMA or boxing.

mrt

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
Re: The speed of a knock out punch
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 09:43:00 PM »
Just curious what is normally the speed of a knock out punch in MMA?  Granted it's bare knuckle for all practical purposes.  I know a lot comes into play where you get hit.  But at what velocity/speed is the fist traveling?  Sometimes the fighter walks into the punch which will just make that hit that much harder.  I ask this because a lot of times the hits just don't seem that hard.  Yes, I have been hit many of times and I am not a novice to MMA or boxing.

fast,,,,,how the fuck woukld anyone know lol

jbflift

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 06:28:48 PM »
I answered my own question,

http://www.videosift.com/index.php?search=mugger%2C+punch%2C+fast&tag=true

Anatomy of a knock out punch.

MADSamoan

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 02:44:11 AM »
Cheers dude :D

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 02:49:08 AM »
a lot of times it aint that hard but if its on the button the guy goes down and there he'll get plenty of more punches until ref stops (which is the case most of the time) or he get koed
Z

MADSamoan

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 03:19:54 AM »
I think the flick forgot to mention that there are certain pressure points around the body that could end in a knock out punch though - for instance the jaw is the most obvious (head area in general of course but certain places = instant black out).  There is a nice sweet spot on the jaw if you hit it fast with enough can have a whiplash effect= blackout . (pardon me if im wrong I grew up boxing just got told this by my coach).

Please I would list the points but yeh I'm not a physio or anything so kinda hard to explain.  If anyone else can please feel free to comment :D

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 07:06:42 AM »
It's an interesting subject though, someone like Chuck who KO'ed more guys than most, doesn't put that much energy into his shots, he's certainly not the hardest hitting guy in MMA but he got precision - and that's why he scores so many KO's.

Where as someone like Burkeman, swings like hell and put everything he got into each shot, problem is he's too slow, they can be spotted from a mile and he ends up hitting the air... and draining himself of energy in the process.

Even at the top level of the fighting game some fighters doesn't realize this and train accordingly which is pretty stupid.
Z