Author Topic: Overtraining?  (Read 4321 times)

Bam-bam

• Getbig V
Re: Overtraining?
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2011, 08:51:41 AM »
Overtaining isn't something that happens in one set, or one session, which is what most people think.  It's something that accumulates over time, over a handful of gym sessions or a period of weeks or months.  You'll know when you're overtraining because you'll start getting weaker despite no change in cycle/food intake, you'll feel lethargic all the time, your appetite will decrease, etc etc.  That said it's very hard to actually reach a state where you're body is overtrained and 99 out of 100 people will never reach that point.

this

also, I believe there is a optimal interval between training session that yields the best strenght and volume gains and anything shorter than that could be considered overtraining eventhouth you are not destroying muscle per se. And we are talking about muscles here, with joints it is even more obvious. Try traning chest and delts hard everyday for 4 days and get back to getbig and tell us how you feel, if you would still be able to lif your arm and type in a keyboard that is,

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2011, 08:58:40 AM »
Evidence? Let me some peer reviewed journals. Just saying it exists doesn't mean it actually exists, kind of like your God :-\ :-\

Seriously? C'mon people. Does anyone on here actually do any training research or you guys, as an example.....who say "overtraining doesn't exist" just lay awake at night trying to figure out ways to stir bullshit controversy like this. For fucks sake, don't just go to the gym and lifts weights and follow the next best routine out of Flex or Muscle and Fitness. Do some research for Gods sake instead of talking out your asses.

Like yesterday for example, there was a thread started a PT (Physical Therapist) who was running a series of vids for mobility, flexibility, rehab and pre-hab and even though I'm assuming (at least you didn't make known in that thread) the posters in that thread knew NOTHING about what he was talking about you still criticized him, called him an idiot and said he didn't know what he was talking about....as if you clowns knew!

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2011, 09:00:53 AM »
Try this experiment:

Do as many pushups as you can on a day when you are rested up. Act as if someone is betting money on each pushup.

Do this every day.

See how long it takes before you are actually doing less, than more.

When you want to try and increase your best pushup count, see how many days of rest it takes before you can do that on a consistent basis.

To be fair, you have to basically do everything else in your day the same way. You cant do them one day after you've done a line of meth, and then three days later when you are so tired you can't read this post.

What is "over-training?" Is it the CNS getting overloaded too consistently? Is it the muscles being broken down and never having a chance to recover? Can you actually train your body effectively when your CNS is completely exhausted (regardless of the cause?)

CNS = Central Nervous System

I don't believe that our bodies will function well in ANY capacity when the CNS is exhausted. This is where CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) start rearing its ugly head.

Who knows? Could be all bullshit and just in your head.  ;D

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2011, 09:19:52 AM »
good man!

Thanks man, I was kinda trapped in this Mentzer-HIT doctrine, but it wasn't optimal training. Some volume is needed, and it's not good to train til failure all the time. In my experience you need to train heavy to stress the muscle, but it's not wise to push to failure all the time, and the old adage "stimulate, but don't annihilate" is very true. I was looking through some old posts by this fella called nolotil, and man, this fella is pretty much spot on with his training recommendations. So, I gotta give props to that dude ;D

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2011, 09:24:54 AM »
my version of overtraining is pain in joints and reduced strength / willingness to train.
shit, i must overtrain every week then.
Deep Tissue Massage

JP_RC

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2011, 09:43:55 AM »
Thanks man, I was kinda trapped in this Mentzer-HIT doctrine, but it wasn't optimal training. Some volume is needed, and it's not good to train til failure all the time. In my experience you need to train heavy to stress the muscle, but it's not wise to push to failure all the time, and the old adage "stimulate, but don't annihilate" is very true. I was looking through some old posts by this fella called nolotil, and man, this fella is pretty much spot on with his training recommendations. So, I gotta give props to that dude ;D

What will your philosophy be like next week?  :-X

Bam-bam

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2011, 09:53:42 AM »

good to see your goals are more important than being right or wrong in a internet message board. So you revaluated things and changed course, thats great. You already achieved a good physique in the past so chances are great that you will do it again. fucking go for it.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2011, 10:04:14 AM »
good to see your goals are more important than being right or wrong in a internet message board. So you revaluated things and changed course, thats great. You already achieved a good physique in the past so chances are great that you will do it again. fucking go for it.

Thanks man, I'm just afraid that I may be too much of an old man nowadays, since I'm 37 :-\ But, I'll try and give it a go. Are you still following the one bodypart per day training routine?

Bam-bam

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2011, 10:41:16 AM »
Thanks man, I'm just afraid that I may be too much of an old man nowadays, since I'm 37 :-\ But, I'll try and give it a go. Are you still following the one bodypart per day training routine?

yes

mon chest
tues back, calves
wed legs
thurs traps, shoulder
friday arms

suits me perfectly