Author Topic: Are sins all the same?  (Read 4501 times)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Are sins all the same?
« on: June 27, 2007, 11:28:36 AM »
Is it just as much of a sin to commit murder as it is to have premarital sex?

Since there is mostly Christians on this board what does alleged "word of God" in the bible say on this? 

I'm curious.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
Re: Are sins all the same?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 11:31:56 AM »
Excellent question and one I've wondered about many times.

Confession and contrition in essence wipe away any sin committed, at least that was my interpretation of it but does that mean murderers and rapists can be welcomed into Heaven simply by going to confession?

Is there no sin that is too heinous to be wiped out by confession?

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 02:38:15 PM »
Pretty sure the only unforgivable sin in Christianity is to reject Christ as Savior.

as to degrees of sin, this is interesting (from biblebb.com  John MacArthur)

Question

Are there degrees of sin, as far as...I’m thinking of lusting in your heart verses adultery?

Answer

Well, I think we would have to say that there are degrees of sin, yes. Just from the practical standpoint. I may entertain a thought of sin briefly; I may entertain that thought at length; I may allow that thought to become a deed; I may allow that deed to become a habit. So there would certainly be degrees of sin, and the Lord would say, the first time you have the thought deal with it then, and if you continue to have it, deal with it, and if you start to do the act, deal with it, and if its become a habit, deal with it. I mean at any point in the process the Lord would want us to halt it and not carry it to the next degree, to the next expression.

So, yes I believe there are degrees of sin. I believe sins of thought are an abomination to God, because any iniquity no matter how small abominates God. But, from the standpoint of practicality God will bless you if you cease from your sinning. God, I’m sure would be grateful if the thought of sin never became the act of sin, if it was dealt with at the point of the thought. Do you understand what I’m saying? You can’t just say, "Well, I thought the thought; I might as well do the deed! I did the deed I might as well make it a habit." I don’t think so. I don’t think so. So, God would be satisfied if you just stopped over here, and not convince yourself that because you thought the thought you’re as good as done the deed, and you might as well just let it run its course. No.

There’s another component to that, and I think it is perhaps worth mentioning. And that is in Hebrews 10, and here is a specific sin that certainly brings about a severer degree of punishment. Hebrews chapter 10, verse 29, “How much severer punishment, do you think he will deserve who has trampled under foot the Son of God, and has regarded as unclean the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has insulted the Spirit of grace?” What’s he saying? Well, all those who aren’t saved go to hell. All those who do not come to God through Jesus Christ will go to hell. But, the hottest hell and the severest punishment is reserved for those who knew, the most fully, the gospel and trampled on it. If a person rejects God, never hears the gospel, doesn’t live up to the light they have, is indicted on the basis of Romans, chapter 1, they will suffer punishment. But it won’t be like the punishment of one who has come to understand the gospel, come to understand what Christ did, who he was, fully understand that and trample him under his feet. That person will suffer the greater punishment.

So I think there are degrees of sin from the practical standpoint, and there are definitely degrees of punishment, which would reflect back on the level of one’s sin. So I think the answer to that question is, yes. I think what God would want you to do in your life is to cease at whatever degree you have reached, and not let it go anymore beyond that. A wonderful truth is that God forgives that sin, and God wipes out and blots away the past and remembers it no more. So the sooner you cease, the sooner it’s forgotten
R

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 02:40:40 PM »
from the same guy:

Question

Are there degrees of sin? We know that all sin is against God, and I know in my mind I think that there are degrees in my mind that one sin is worse than the other.

Answer

Well, the only indication biblically we have that there are degrees of sin, is the statement that I can think of off the top of my head in Hebrews 10:26 and following, it says, “Of how much sorer punishment shall he be thought worthy as trodden under foot the Son of God on account of the blood of the covenant an unholy thing.” Of how much greater punishment shall he be thought worthy, indicates that there are degrees of punishment. If there are degrees of punishment, there must be degrees of sin. At least there is a difference between sins of deed and sins of faith toward God or toward Christ. Those are the severer sins. The sins of the apostate or the heretic are the severer ones. Now, when you are coming down to whether it is worse to steal, lie, or whatever, it is very difficult biblically to see any distinction in those.

R

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 03:57:45 PM »
Makes sense to me.  Shoplifting is not on par with murder.  And as the writer says, there are varying degrees of punishment. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 09:09:42 AM »
Not to keep kicking a dead horse but, GOD, doesn't feel the same way as he ordered the murder of 3000 men for making an idol and worshiping him in a way he forbid.

(according to the alleged word of God in the bible.)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 09:49:19 AM »
Not to keep kicking a dead horse but, GOD, doesn't feel the same way as he ordered the murder of 3000 men for making an idol and worshiping him in a way he forbid.

Yes! That is a dead horse you're kicking, bro.  You and Loco when round and round on that, already. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 10:37:25 AM »

Yes.  Horse is dead.  It wasn't murder.  They broke the law and were punished. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 10:57:57 AM »
Yeah guys, you are right it is a dead horse, but it was just said if their is a difference in the severity of sins and their punishments.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 11:00:32 AM »
Yeah guys, you are right it is a dead horse, but you both just said if their is a difference in the severity of sins and their punishments.

There is.  Not every sin committed results in the death penalty, although "the wages of sin is death," ultimately. 

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 07:42:35 AM »
My brother and I used to have a running joke. "In gods eyes all sin is bad so its the same thing to break a commantment with your body as in your heart (lust/adultry) so if I am going to sin sin big..." We used to joke about commiting murder in our hearts as we hated on another so we might as well kill them... ;D You had to be there to really laugh... ;D

IrishMuscle84

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2007, 06:51:32 PM »
After going to a Catholic grade school for 9 years, Im still confused on what SIN really is?? The way i look at SIN is, theres 2 ways you can sin....One way of sinning, is to do an action, ACTION: is a movement of some kind, push, pull, hitting someone or whtever....soo say right now, im sitting in a chair, and I get up, thats a movement, is that a SIN?? or another way of sinning, lets say LUST, too me lust is a feeling, emotion, soo having feeelings and emotion is a sin???

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2007, 07:39:27 PM »
After going to a Catholic grade school for 9 years, Im still confused on what SIN really is?? The way i look at SIN is, theres 2 ways you can sin....One way of sinning, is to do an action, ACTION: is a movement of some kind, push, pull, hitting someone or whtever....soo say right now, im sitting in a chair, and I get up, thats a movement, is that a SIN?? or another way of sinning, lets say LUST, too me lust is a feeling, emotion, soo having feeelings and emotion is a sin???

IMO a sin is something you do that results in a victim.  the rest of the stuff you find in the bible is cultural BS of the times.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2007, 07:40:50 PM »
IMO a sin is something you do that results in a victim.  the rest of the stuff you find in the bible is cultural BS of the times.

Isn't there always a victim?  Sometimes the individual is the victim. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2007, 07:45:09 PM »
Isn't there always a victim?  Sometimes the individual is the victim. 

Nope.  Not if they do so by choice.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2007, 07:50:49 PM »
Mortal sins and venial sins; the latter being less serious/petty things.

Having feelings are not necessarily sinful unless they result in an action.  Examples:  To have gay feelings is not bad but to act on them is.  To have a feeling of attraction towards your friends wife is not bad but to have bad thoughts on purpose and the actions that goes along makes it a sin.
Squishy face retard

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2007, 10:59:57 PM »
Nope.  Not if they do so by choice.

So as long as a person chooses to do something, it's not harmful to that person, regardless of what the act is?  You don't really believe that Ozmo. . . .   Do you? 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2007, 11:01:25 PM »

Having feelings are not necessarily sinful unless they result in an action.  Examples:  To have gay feelings is not bad but to act on them is.  To have a feeling of attraction towards your friends wife is not bad but to have bad thoughts on purpose and the actions that goes along makes it a sin.

I agree with this. 

Also, sin pretty much always starts with a thought process, which gradually results in action. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2007, 08:57:56 AM »
So as long as a person chooses to do something, it's not harmful to that person, regardless of what the act is?  You don't really believe that Ozmo. . . .   Do you? 

If a person wants to dress a certain way, live a certain type of lifestyle etc...  yes.  If a person wants to shoot themselves up with herion i believe it's a sin.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2007, 12:09:58 PM »
If a person wants to dress a certain way, live a certain type of lifestyle etc...  yes.  If a person wants to shoot themselves up with herion i believe it's a sin.

What's the difference?  Heroin makes a person feel good. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2007, 12:24:58 PM »
What's the difference?  Heroin makes a person feel good. 

You know the difference  ;)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2007, 12:38:55 PM »
You know the difference  ;)

I do?  I don't think there is a difference. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2007, 12:51:04 PM »
I do?  I don't think there is a difference. 

There isn't a difference between 2 consenting adults having safe sex and a person shooting up heroin?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2007, 01:55:34 PM »
There isn't a difference between 2 consenting adults having safe sex and a person shooting up heroin?

Not if one or both of the consenting adults are married to other people. 

And I believe there is no such thing as "safe sex," but that's another issue.   :) 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2007, 02:09:03 PM »
Not if one or both of the consenting adults are married to other people. 

And I believe there is no such thing as "safe sex," but that's another issue.   :) 

So is it dangerous when married couples have sex?