Author Topic: Anybody ever had "Prayer Time" at home?  (Read 9188 times)

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
Anybody ever had "Prayer Time" at home?
« on: August 12, 2007, 08:38:08 AM »
When you were a kid, did any of you have a certain time when the family would get together and say a prayer? I did, the time was 6:00 pm. I kinda wish for those days, respectfull towards family.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Re: Anybody ever had "Prayer Time" at home?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 05:32:35 PM »
Yes.  I don't remember the exact time, but it was at night, before bed time.  My parents would read the Bible to us, then we would all take turns and each say a prayer.  This is one of the best things my parents did for my brothers and I. 

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 08:25:09 PM »
When you were a kid, did any of you have a certain time when the family would get together and say a prayer? I did, the time was 6:00 pm. I kinda wish for those days, respectfull towards family.

No.  That would have been great.
R

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 05:14:35 AM »
Yes.  I don't remember the exact time, but it was at night, before bed time.  My parents would read the Bible to us, then we would all take turns and each say a prayer.  This is one of the best things my parents did for my brothers and I.
I think so too. At 6:00 pm the TV, radio, video games would be turned off, and we would gather around in the family room and hold our hands up together and say the Lord's prayer. It instilled a sense of family, a sense of together-ness

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 09:40:06 AM »
We didn't have that, but I do remember many a time hearing my parents pray. I used to open my eyes and watch my father pray sometimes.  He would look so intimate when he prayed, as if the Lord were right there sitting next to him.  My mom and day used to say the most beautiful prayers it seemed. 

I have prayer time with my kids before they go to bed.  I sing hymns to them until they are asleep most nights.  My most treasured times of the day other than being with my wife, is when I get to read the bible, and tell stories from the bible.  The look in my kids' eyes is something to behold.   :)

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 09:52:36 AM »
At dinner we had:

Bless us our lord for these thine gifts, for which we are about to receive, from thy bounty, through christ our lord amen.

At bedtime we had:

Now I lay me down to sleep I pray the lord my soul to keep, If I should die before I wake, I pray the lord my soul to take god bless mom dad etc.

I thought that 'soul' was 'salt' and that the salt I used for my food was very valuable.  In retrospect, I see the error.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 10:58:21 AM »
We didn't have that, but I do remember many a time hearing my parents pray. I used to open my eyes and watch my father pray sometimes.  He would look so intimate when he prayed, as if the Lord were right there sitting next to him.  My mom and day used to say the most beautiful prayers it seemed. 

I have prayer time with my kids before they go to bed.  I sing hymns to them until they are asleep most nights.  My most treasured times of the day other than being with my wife, is when I get to read the bible, and tell stories from the bible.  The look in my kids' eyes is something to behold.   :)

That's beautiful Colossus. 

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 11:45:11 AM »
agree.  We should have a crying eye smiley with a smile. :)

I thought that 'soul' was 'salt' and that the salt I used for my food was very valuable. 

;D    Reminds me of the Jimi Hendrix lyric, "Scuze me while I kiss this guy the sky"
R

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 12:34:41 PM »

agree.  We should have a crying eye smiley with a smile. :)
thanks, stella and beach.  i got kinda teary-eyed just thinking back and seeing my dad pray.  i miss him like crazy. if only he could see my children pray and know that it was his influence and heart for God that let me to teach them. 

i just hope God is pleased with what i'm doing with the blessings that have been given to me and my wife.  i'm so afraid of not getting it right.  i don't want my children to grow up doubting who they are or why they exist.  and i most assuredly don't want them to believe that knowledge and reason as the world sees it is what points them to truth.  it's only our Father in heaven who holds the truth. 

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 12:42:38 PM »
thanks, stella and beach.  i got kinda teary-eyed just thinking back and seeing my dad pray.  i miss him like crazy. if only he could see my children pray and know that it was his influence and heart for God that let me to teach them. 

i just hope God is pleased with what i'm doing with the blessings that have been given to me and my wife.  i'm so afraid of not getting it right.  i don't want my children to grow up doubting who they are or why they exist.  and i most assuredly don't want them to believe that knowledge and reason as the world sees it is what points them to truth.  it's only our Father in heaven who holds the truth. 

Amen, brother!    ;D

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 01:03:33 PM »

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 03:00:38 PM »

You are doing right, and it will show when your kids grow up, and they will be talking about what their father did for them and how it had a positive influence on them

My mother has always told me: "As long as you have hope, you don't give up, no matter how small that chance of hope is" and I always remember that
 And to pray for those in need. I usually say a prayer when I leave for work, to have a save journey, and for my family to have a save journey, to and from work. as well as my co-workers. I told one co-worker that one day, and she was surprised.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 08:29:25 PM »
You are doing right, and it will show when your kids grow up, and they will be talking about what their father did for them and how it had a positive influence on them

My mother has always told me: "As long as you have hope, you don't give up, no matter how small that chance of hope is" and I always remember that
 And to pray for those in need. I usually say a prayer when I leave for work, to have a save journey, and for my family to have a save journey, to and from work. as well as my co-workers. I told one co-worker that one day, and she was surprised.
Thanks, Parker.  Your mom gave you some GREAT advice.  It's amazing what we treasure from our youth and the things our parents have influenced us with.  I bet your co-worker felt good in knowing that you prayed for her safety as well as your other co-workers. 

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 10:14:28 PM »

Tawk amongst yourselves... I'm getting verklempt!

Sometimes one of my biggest joys is to watch my little neices pray. Just precious.
w

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2007, 09:44:45 AM »
yes, every night all 9 of us would sit for 10mins whilst mny dad read out prayers and selected passages from the boble as directed by a catholic family prayer book. it stopped as we all got older and fought that we never wanted to do it. my dad prays all the time. i pray too tho at no set time apart from mass on sunday and all holy days of obligation etc.

a;lso in may and novemebr rather than sy the prayers ead bible etc we said the rosary

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2007, 08:28:41 PM »
yes, every night all 9 of us would sit for 10mins whilst mny dad read out prayers and selected passages from the boble as directed by a catholic family prayer book. it stopped as we all got older and fought that we never wanted to do it. my dad prays all the time. i pray too tho at no set time apart from mass on sunday and all holy days of obligation etc.

a;lso in may and novemebr rather than sy the prayers ead bible etc we said the rosary

I'm having one right now...

Hail Mary full of grace, blessed art thou among women, ...and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus...
...now can you get Goudy a spell checker before my brain explodes trying understand what he types.  ;D
w

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2007, 04:14:49 PM »

1.4 billion people on this planet have family prayer time 5 times/day..

called muslims   :-\
carpe` vaginum!

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2007, 05:10:46 AM »

You speak of God.

How do you know there is a God?
As empty as paradise

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2007, 07:11:41 AM »
You speak of God.

How do you know there is a God?

how does one know there isn't one...unfortunately athiesm is as much faith based as is religion...

athiests are generally smarter however  ;D

:D
carpe` vaginum!

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2007, 09:44:34 AM »
how does one know there isn't one...unfortunately athiesm is as much faith based as is religion...

athiests are generally smarter however ;D

:D

Atheism and atheists?

Generally, perhaps. 8)
As empty as paradise

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2007, 07:48:58 AM »
Atheism and atheists?

Generally, perhaps. 8)

i make no qualms about the fact that i usually dont bother to learn how to spell nor do i bother with spell check  :-\
carpe` vaginum!

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2007, 10:33:02 AM »
1.4 billion people on this planet have family prayer time 5 times/day..

called muslims   :-\

Wow, still an idiot. Still can't spell.

Got a gf yet or are you still smoking man-cigars?
الاسلام هو شيطانية

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2007, 04:40:36 PM »

heyya bitch! ;D

ahem ..ya still attack like i have a self esteem issue.. :-\

hmm

you know where i work ..  www.asmed.com
you know my name   Junaid Memon
and you have seen several pictures of me

hmm what do we know about you?  hmm you hate muslims and islam...thats all...and the glee ya put into your hatefull posts prolly in a jungian way points to " a brownie fucked my girlfriend"

nuff said
carpe` vaginum!

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2007, 11:55:38 PM »
heyya bitch! ;D

ahem ..ya still attack like i have a self esteem issue.. :-\

hmm

you know where i work ..  www.asmed.com
you know my name   Junaid Memon
and you have seen several pictures of me

hmm what do we know about you?  hmm you hate muslims and islam...thats all...and the glee ya put into your hatefull posts prolly in a jungian way points to " a brownie fucked my girlfriend"

nuff said

I hate islam u assclown. I don't have the energy to hate every individual muslim.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2007, 02:14:40 PM »
I hate islam u assclown. I don't have the energy to hate every individual muslim.

yeah yeah yeah...no body here gives a shit...
carpe` vaginum!