Author Topic: ATHEIST  (Read 3113 times)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
ATHEIST
« on: November 26, 2007, 06:12:00 PM »
ATHEIST, will you please briefly explain why you are an Atheist and also why you chose it as your username?  Thanks!

(this thread pre-approved by ATHEIST  :) )
R

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
Re: ATHEIST
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 07:02:10 PM »
  i chose this user name before i even knew that there was a religious thread on this site actually. needless to say when i found this site i was pretty excited being that im always looking for a source of knowledge when it come to religion, more specifically Christianity. I  simply chose this user name at the spur of the moment, the majority of my friends are Christians and i guess that just popped into my head.
 I am an atheist, however for the vast majority of my life i was Christian, about 20 years. I went to a private Christian school from K-12 grade. I specifically remember the day i decided to believe in Jesus, i was in the first grade and my best friend Scott, was saying the prayer we all said before we ate lunch. Scott however actually looked like he was praying, with his hands tightly folded and his head down. So i did the same and from then on i would honestly say grace, i was a Christian.
 My first year out of high school is when i realized that i was a Christian only because i went to a Christian high school. My thoughts were that if i was put into a Hindu school, there would be a good chance i would be Hindu. I was Christian mainly due to the geographic region i was raised, the US.
 Also i took a step back and looked at what is preached in church, and its basically just simplistic, they tell you to believe and give good lessons.
They never get into the foundation of Christianity. Ask most Christians why they believe and they wont know why. They wont admit to themselves that they have been believers for X amount of years but still honestly dont know anything about the religion. The worst part for me is that the Preachers and teachers are ok with having millions of followers of Christ that dont know anything about the religion.
If you objectively looked into the history of Christianity at an age where you could maturely make an educated decision, i believe there would be a lot less Christians. At the same i believe that having less Christians would not be a good thing.
  Most Christians on this board know why they are Christians and have great knowledge of their faith, i truly respect that. the vast majority of Christians however have no idea, they are just Christians because they were raised that way, or they have hit rock bottom and have no where else to turn, "bandwagon" Christians. i really dont respect that, they believe but dont know why they do.
 However i do believe and have said this to my many Christians friends that Christianity is a GREAT way to live. Follow what is preached, have faith and love God and you can be truly peaceful. My problem was that i looked into Christianity and had too many questions.
  sorry this wasnt brief. any help would be appreciated, thanks Stella.

beatmaster

• Getbig IV
  • Save a tree, eat a beaver
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 07:06:17 PM »

God is Imaginary
are you delusional?

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 07:45:26 PM »

sorry this wasnt brief.
I just said "briefly" as a suggestion  ;D   I appreciate you being as detailed as possible; I think we can all learn from each other more that way.

I am an atheist, however for the vast majority of my life i was Christian, about 20 years. I went to a private Christian school from K-12 grade. I specifically remember the day i decided to believe in Jesus, i was in the first grade and my best friend Scott, was saying the prayer we all said before we ate lunch. Scott however actually looked like he was praying, with his hands tightly folded and his head down. So i did the same and from then on i would honestly say grace, i was a Christian.

ATHEIST, was your private Christian school any specific denomination or non-denominational?

The first time you honestly said grace and felt you were a Christian had you felt you realized that you were a sinner and that Christ had died for you on the cross and rose again and you accepted that as a free gift of forgiveness?  In other words, did you feel that you had accepted Christ as your Savior?

My first year out of high school is when i realized that i was a Christian only because i went to a Christian high school. My thoughts were that if i was put into a Hindu school, there would be a good chance i would be Hindu. I was Christian mainly due to the geographic region i was raised, the US.
I think this thought has merit but of course there are exceptions.  I knew a Jewish guy that was raised in an Orthodox Jewish home and followed their ways but later accepted Christ as Savior.  He said his family had a funeral for him when they found out.  Also, we've got a former Hindus that attend our church....my friend used to be an atheist and is now a Christian etc.

I'm grateful to live in a country where we can research diff. religions w/o fear of reprisal for doing so.

Also i took a step back and looked at what is preached in church, and its basically just simplistic, they tell you to believe and give good lessons.
They never get into the foundation of Christianity.

What church (denonination) did you attend when you were growing up ATHEIST?  I grew up in one that didn't seem to present the gospel but it's very possible I wasn't listening! :-[

The worst part for me is that the Preachers and teachers are ok with having millions of followers of Christ that dont know anything about the religion.

Or Christ.  I agree that is bad.  IMO, there are people that present themselves as Christian Preachers and teachers that seem like they are really just out to trick people out of their money.  But that shouldn't stop people from trying to learn about God and the bible themselves.

.....My problem was that i looked into Christianity and had too many questions.
  sorry this wasnt brief. any help would be appreciated, thanks Stella.

ATHEIST, thanks so much for your comments and I'm sure we'll have more questions for you.  Please feel free to ask questions re: Christianity and if one can't answer, someone else seems to be able to here :)  I learn a lot from the people here.

R

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 01:29:14 AM »
ATHEIST, was your private Christian school any specific denomination or non-denominational?

The first time you honestly said grace and felt you were a Christian had you felt you realized that you were a sinner and that Christ had died for you on the cross and rose again and you accepted that as a free gift of forgiveness?  In other words, did you feel that you had accepted Christ as your Savior?

i actually went to two private schools, one was Baptist the other was Lutheran. They both taught western Christianity, they NEVER focused on the specifics of the denomination. We had a religion class everyday and went to church during school on thursday. We were taught the basics of Christianity, the scriptures, verses, so im fairly well informed when it comes to the basics of Christianity.
  honestly the very first time i said grace i cant say i did believe what was taught, i think i considered it more of a simple daily task. i didnt know any better i thought everyone believed. i remember thinking as i saw Scott pray that "my friend takes this seriously" something along those lines. not long after however, i did realize that Jesus really sacrificed Himself for us to give us eternal life. During my 9-12 grades i would always think back and be thankful that i saw my friend Scott praying, i always considered that my epiphany moment, which led to my salvation. I was always thankful to him even though we had lost touch after the 5th grade. he played a huge step in opening my eyes. so yes i would say i truly accepted Jesus as my savior around the 3rd grade. i would pray for EVERYONE of my relatives and all their pets every night before i fell asleep. if i fell asleep i would say prayer in the morning in fear of something bad happening to them. i felt very sorry for non-Christians because i knew they were going to suffer in hell.

I think this thought has merit but of course there are exceptions.  I knew a Jewish guy that was raised in an Orthodox Jewish home and followed their ways but later accepted Christ as Savior.  He said his family had a funeral for him when they found out.  Also, we've got a former Hindus that attend our church....my friend used to be an atheist and is now a Christian etc.

I'm grateful to live in a country where we can research diff. religions w/o fear of reprisal for doing so.

yes but this is clearly the exception. most people living in China are not Christian, although there are very few. whatever exposure to the Living Word they have are missionaries who mostly get a door in their face. and more than likely that is the only exposure to Christ they get. so if they deny that window they go to hell? its not right. its the same thing here most people see missionaries coming and they pretend to not be home. people not born in the US dont get a fair chance to secure their salvation.

What church (denonination) did you attend when you were growing up ATHEIST?  I grew up in one that didn't seem to present the gospel but it's very possible I wasn't listening! :-[

Lutheran and Baptist, they taught the basic lessons everyone hears. 12 years of that. i started asking questions after i graduated. their main concern  was that you knew the bible front to back, i honestly believed at that time.

Or Christ.  I agree that is bad.  IMO, there are people that present themselves as Christian Preachers and teachers that seem like they are really just out to trick people out of their money.  But that shouldn't stop people from trying to learn about God and the bible themselves.

im wasnt referring to the Preachers that abuse their position. i was referring to the fact that most Preachers only teach simplistic basics and are happy to have believers who do not truly know the history of Christianity. they ignore important historical facts. the preachers teach every sunday that God blesses you, he affects your life positively in this way or that way...etc..etc.. for some reason it really bugs me when i meet a Christian who doesnt know the history of their religion, or could careless and dont ask questions, they just believe. believing to just believe shouldnt be enough for your salvation, i consider that an easy way out, you should know what and why you believe like you do.

ATHEIST, thanks so much for your comments and I'm sure we'll have more questions for you.  Please feel free to ask questions re: Christianity and if one can't answer, someone else seems to be able to here :)  I learn a lot from the people here.

no i should thank you for taking the time Stella. i have learned a great deal from this board also. everyday i struggle with this and its very intriguing for me to search for answers. i love doing the research and honesty try to take both sides into perspective objectively as best i can.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 03:48:10 AM »
  i actually went to two private schools, one was Baptist the other was Lutheran. They both taught western Christianity, they NEVER focused on the specifics of the denomination. We had a religion class everyday and went to church during school on thursday. We were taught the basics of Christianity, the scriptures, verses, so im fairly well informed when it comes to the basics of Christianity.
  honestly the very first time i said grace i cant say i did believe what was taught, i think i considered it more of a simple daily task. i didnt know any better i thought everyone believed. i remember thinking as i saw Scott pray that "my friend takes this seriously" something along those lines. not long after however, i did realize that Jesus really sacrificed Himself for us to give us eternal life. During my 9-12 grades i would always think back and be thankful that i saw my friend Scott praying, i always considered that my epiphany moment, which led to my salvation. I was always thankful to him even though we had lost touch after the 5th grade. he played a huge step in opening my eyes. so yes i would say i truly accepted Jesus as my savior around the 3rd grade. i would pray for EVERYONE of my relatives and all their pets every night before i fell asleep. if i fell asleep i would say prayer in the morning in fear of something bad happening to them. i felt very sorry for non-Christians because i knew they were going to suffer in hell.
 yes but this is clearly the exception. most people living in China are not Christian, although there are very few. whatever exposure to the Living Word they have are missionaries who mostly get a door in their face. and more than likely that is the only exposure to Christ they get. so if they deny that window they go to hell? its not right. its the same thing here most people see missionaries coming and they pretend to not be home. people not born in the US dont get a fair chance to secure their salvation.

Lutheran and Baptist, they taught the basic lessons everyone hears. 12 years of that. i started asking questions after i graduated. their main concern  was that you knew the bible front to back, i honestly believed at that time.

im wasnt referring to the Preachers that abuse their position. i was referring to the fact that most Preachers only teach simplistic basics and are happy to have believers who do not truly know the history of Christianity. they ignore important historical facts. the preachers teach every sunday that God blesses you, he affects your life positively in this way or that way...etc..etc.. for some reason it really bugs me when i meet a Christian who doesnt know the history of their religion, or could careless and dont ask questions, they just believe. believing to just believe shouldnt be enough for your salvation, i consider that an easy way out, you should know what and why you believe like you do.

no i should thank you for taking the time Stella. i have learned a great deal from this board also. everyday i struggle with this and its very intriguing for me to search for answers. i love doing the research and honesty try to take both sides into perspective objectively as best i can.

As long as you have stopped believing in invisible sky daddies you are well on your way to recovery...

www.samharris.org has a place for you as there are many 'fallen' there...just go to the forums...I'm a mod there...
I hate the State.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 05:05:19 AM »
Thanks for sharing your story, ATHEIST!

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 11:17:56 AM »
Thanks guys im just trying to be real.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 05:29:03 PM »

I've always been under the impression that Lutheran church teachings are pretty close to Roman Catholic teachings.  Do you find that to be true if you are aware of RC stuff?  Maybe it's just in the area in which I live though.  The fact that you were exposed to the Baptist denomination and Lutheran says to me you've got a lot of information though!

I think it's wonderful how you prayed for people and their pets! :)

I also believe if you truly accepted Christ as your Savior that you are right now, saved....even though you say you're atheist, even though you have questions...etc.   I don't believe that anyone who is truly saved can lose their salvation.  Do you have any thoughts on eternal security?

I agree that most people living in China and the like are more than likely not Christian but the thought that the only exposure to Christ they get is through missionaries that proclaim themselves as missionaries is not correct and I hope that comforts you as I can't elaborate.  Same stuff in other communist countries.  But yes, it seems disconcerting that they are not free to worship or research beliefs as we are.  But I take comfort in God being in control.

I agree w/you here also for reasons including how does someone who knows nothing about their faith share it with others that are very skeptical etc. 

i have learned a great deal from this board also. everyday i struggle with this and its very intriguing for me to search for answers. i love doing the research and honesty try to take both sides into perspective objectively as best i can.
I'm so glad you're here. :)  Your attitude and honesty are so appreciated.  I hope we can all continue to learn from one another :)
R

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 05:44:32 PM »
  I know a dislexic atheist...he is constantly saying "THERE IS NO DOG!!"

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Jeremiah 29:11-13
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 07:11:55 PM »
  I know a dislexic atheist...he is constantly saying "THERE IS NO DOG!!"
:D

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 07:55:58 PM »
i wonder how many church goers and christians really, honestly believe? i was brought up thatw as and went to church, sunday school, etc...no matter how hard i tried even as a kid i couldnt get the skepticism out of the back of my mind; i was afraid that even questioning it was 'bad', but it just came naturally. i could not honestly believe any of it, i was just lying to myself. im just not wired that way. i honestly do not understand how a human with reasonable intelligence and reasoning ability can really, truely belive this stuff

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2007, 06:02:37 AM »
I've always been under the impression that Lutheran church teachings are pretty close to Roman Catholic teachings. 

In what way do you feel that the Lutheran church teachings would be "pretty close" to the Roman Catholic teachings?
As empty as paradise

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 06:13:40 AM »
In what way do you feel that the Lutheran church teachings would be "pretty close" to the Roman Catholic teachings?

In the sense that they are both a load of total bullshit... ;D
I hate the State.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2007, 06:37:45 AM »
They both practice infant baptism, their services are structured very similarly, and at one LUtheran church in my town at the end the minister at the end says HE absolves the congregation of all their sins....that's how the Catholic priests here talk to people in their congregation.
R

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2007, 07:37:34 AM »
They both practice infant baptism, their services are structured very similarly, and at one LUtheran church in my town at the end the minister at the end says HE absolves the congregation of all their sins....that's how the Catholic priests here talk to people in their congregation.

Lutheran is a Reformist form of Christianity, like Methodist or Baptism, eg does not include confession to a priest, as is the case in the RC.

Seems kind of weird with that minister absolving the whole congregation, sure you're not misinterpretating him in leading them in a prayer to God?

As empty as paradise

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2007, 07:50:34 AM »
Lutheran is a Reformist form of Christianity, like Methodist or Baptism, eg does not include confession to a priest, as is the case in the RC.

Yes, and the two major differences that sets the Roman Catholic Church apart from all Protestant denominations is

1. "Sola Escritura"(Scripture alone):  The authority of the Bible and not the authority of the pope or Roman Catholic Church traditions and dogma.

2. Faith alone: Salvation through faith in Jesus Christ alone, and not through good works of righteousness or through following Roman Catholic Church traditions and dogma.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2007, 09:38:08 AM »
i wonder how many church goers and christians really, honestly believe? i was brought up thatw as and went to church, sunday school, etc...no matter how hard i tried even as a kid i couldnt get the skepticism out of the back of my mind; i was afraid that even questioning it was 'bad', but it just came naturally. i could not honestly believe any of it, i was just lying to myself. im just not wired that way. i honestly do not understand how a human with reasonable intelligence and reasoning ability can really, truely belive this stuff
I don't think being skeptical is bad unless it makes you turn away so much that you don't even want to try to learn about the bible.  Hopefully you some day will desire to learn more about it.

I also believe though that there are several people that go to church that don't actually believe....maybe they just feel that going to church should be a part of their lives?
R

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2007, 09:43:00 AM »

Seems kind of weird with that minister absolving the whole congregation, sure you're not misinterpretating him in leading them in a prayer to God?

I could have misinterpreted what he said but it sounded like he said "I now absolve you of your sins" while opening up his arms in order to show that he meant everyone in the congregation. 
R

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2007, 06:21:26 AM »
Yes, and the two major differences that sets the Roman Catholic Church apart from all Protestant denominations is

1. "Sola Escritura"(Scripture alone):  The authority of the Bible and not the authority of the pope or Roman Catholic Church traditions and dogma.

2. Faith alone: Salvation through faith in Jesus Christ alone, and not through good works of righteousness or through following Roman Catholic Church traditions and dogma.

Yes.

You know a lot about Christianity, as well as other religions, very interesting to discuss these matters with you.

As empty as paradise

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2007, 06:25:32 AM »
Yes.

You know a lot about Christianity, as well as other religions, very interesting to discuss these matters with you.

Thanks, Hedge!  Likewise!