Author Topic: Ben Stein is EXPELLED: No Intelligence Allowed  (Read 1097 times)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Ben Stein is EXPELLED: No Intelligence Allowed
« on: December 19, 2007, 11:08:56 AM »
Scheduled to be released in theaters in February 2008

“Big Science has expelled smart new ideas from the classroom. What they forgot is that every generation has its Rebel!”

The movie consists of multiple interviews of those in Big Science such as Richard Dawkins and Daniel Dennett and the "expelled" such as Richard Sternberg and Michael Behe. (It does not appear that any biblical creationists were interviewed but rather many people in the Intelligent Design Movement).

http://www.expelledthemovie.com/home.php

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
Re: Ben Stein is EXPELLED: No Intelligence Allowed
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 04:07:00 PM »
My dear loco, how predictable you are :)

Ever since I first heard of that movie, I knew that you would post about it on here as the release date drew sooner.

I first heard about it while watching the Republican candidates addressing the fundy nutjob group "Focus on the Family" in Washington a few months back. They showed the trailer then Bueller Bueller came on and talked gibberish for a bit.

Is this really how biology and science and evolution are to be discussed: during interludes of Republican hopefuls addressing a fundamentalist Christianist organization?

And what's with these whiny ID proponents who can't come up with any real science to back their theory, or any material to present in conferences or publish in journals, resorting to playing victim in such propaganda "mockumentaries"? ???

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 04:12:48 PM »
Let me copy/paste from another thread and remind you of the ruling of the Christian, conservative, Bush-appointed judge against ID in the Dover case. Here are some excerpts from his ruling:

intelligent design is not science. We find that intelligent design fails on three different levels, any one of which is sufficient to preclude a determination that intelligent design is science. They are: (1) intelligent design violates the centuries-old ground rules of science by invoking and permitting supernatural causation; (2) the argument of irreducible complexity, central to intelligent design, employs the same flawed and illogical contrived dualism that doomed creation science in the 1980s; and (3) intelligent design's negative attacks on evolution have been refuted by the scientific community. It is additionally important to note that intelligent design has failed to gain acceptance in the scientific community, it has not generated peer-reviewed publications, nor has it been the subject of testing and research.

The evidence at trial demonstrates that intelligent design is nothing less than the progeny of creationism.

The goal of the intelligent-design movement is not to encourage critical thought but to foment a revolution which would supplant evolutionary theory with intelligent design.

our conclusion today is that it is unconstitutional to teach intelligent design as an alternative to evolution in a public school science classroom.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 01:39:53 AM »
Thanks, columbusdude82, for sharing your opinion!  You are entitled to your opinion and you are free not to watch this movie, just as theists are entitled to their opinion and are free not to watch movies with atheist inductrination such as The Golden Compass.

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 04:12:27 AM »
Opinions are one thing, loco. Lies are another. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts. If this movie contains blatant lies, they must be exposed.

There is no "Darwinian conspiracy" against creationists, there really isn't. Creationists are to biology what astrologers are to astronomy. Just as an astrologer shouldn't expect to get an academic job in an astronomy department, so a creationist shouldn't expect to get a job in a biology department.

One more thing, you list Michael Behe as being "expelled." He still has his job at Lehigh, although the biology department has a statement on their website saying they are all committed to evolution and he is the sole dissenter.

Judging by his bad research record and his ridiculous whoppers concerning the "irreducible complexity" of the bacterial flagellum and the immune system, they really ought to consider "expelling" him.

Not because he's a creationist, but because he is an incompetent researcher.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 05:48:01 AM »
One more thing, you list Michael Behe as being "expelled." He still has his job at Lehigh, although the biology department has a statement on their website saying they are all committed to evolution and he is the sole dissenter.

That's not my list, though I did post it.  That came from the movie website.  You seem to know more about the movie before it being released than I do.  That's great.  I'll probably watch it, if anything out of curiosity.

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 01:10:36 PM »
I might watch it, just to make a little list of the lies they will surely tell. From the trailer they showed at the Republican candidates' thing, there seemed to be quite a few lies in this movie.

I care about what's true loco. I care deeply about science and truth. Like St Paul, I value "whatsoever things are true..."