Author Topic: PBW Presents: John Romano and Australian Pro Report (Listen On-Demand)  (Read 12936 times)

Andrew1

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Announcement - Episode #147

PBW Presents: "Romano"

Plus: Contest Report from Australia - Replay Now Available

As the IFBB's early-season schedule comes to a close, PBW covers Kai Greene's latest stop on his remarkable journey toward becoming a top Olympia contender.  This weeks edition of "Pro Bodybuilding Weekly" also features a visit with popular columnist John Romano....his first visit to PBW in nearly 3 years. - Presented by MuscleTech, the 147th edition of bodybuilding talk radio airs LIVE on Monday at 8pm ET (Replay provided courtesy of Bodybuilding.com - the world's #1 most visited bodybuilding website).

PBW's new broadcast home is  www.ProBodybuildingDaily.com  (Click on Replay Central)

Bonus Segment:  This weeks broadcast also includes a replay of Dan & Bob's recent visit with Arnold Schwarzenegger - recorded last weekend in Columbus.

Presented by MuscleTech and brought to you by Bodybuilding.com and Flex Magazine.
Additional sponsors include Xenadrine RFA-X, The Muscle Asylum Project, MuscleTime.com, Six Star Muscle Fuel and BodySpace!
PBW: The Official radio show of the Arnold Schwarzenegger Classic and the 2009 Olympia Weekend!

fathead

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: PBW Presents: "Romano" (Monday)
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 07:13:17 AM »
did he leave rxmuscle?

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 07:15:04 AM »
Going by one name now like Madonna, or Daughtry or Cher?

The.Giant

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 07:37:27 AM »
did he leave rxmuscle?

no. rxmuscle is pre-recorded.
It's Hip to be Square!

SquatsRule

• Getbig IV
  • I am "teh sexy"
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 07:38:28 AM »

Pretty soon he'll change is name to a symbol. Or maybe something formerly known as Romano?
S

lift 456

• Getbig III
  • Italian Stallion
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 07:42:02 AM »
Romano? I thought that guy got fired.  Maybe he's going on PBW to ask Chick if he can borrow some money :)  That could get interesting.
I

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 10:19:51 AM »
Ah... Romano....

Can Romano redeem himself .....

Were we reading what Romano wrote or was it the wishes of his previous owner to bash others?

Is Romano turning over a new leaf, can we all bake bread together in the house of the bodybuilding world?

Is Romano still bitter at his previous employer or has Romano seen a new light yet?

Is it time to put out a special interview with Romano that we have...

The Black Rat is a special nickname for Romano...

When do we get to meet your 23 year old hot daughter?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 02:03:00 PM »
I'm guessing a few good quotes come out of this show

Stavios

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 02:10:23 PM »
I guess you guys didn't have much to talk about this week....  :-\

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die...----HST
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 03:41:46 PM »
Pretty soon he'll change is name to a symbol. Or maybe something formerly known as Romano?

Maybe for a symbol he could use a crack pipe :D

Mons Venus

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 03:44:05 PM »
Who's Romano? ???

Purge_WTF

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 04:12:09 PM »
Pretty soon he'll change is name to a symbol.

A dildo or a bottle of mineral water would be appropriate.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 05:21:54 PM »

yeah right...are you serious??

just_a_pilgrim

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2009, 05:26:45 PM »

Is it time to put out a special interview with Romano that we have...

Only if it includes more quotes about Blechman commenting on Victors ripped veiny glutes

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2009, 05:27:22 PM »

The foursome together...

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2009, 05:30:24 PM »

The foursome together...

Dan holds some good size.

Not trying to be funny at al. But the 2 in the middle are 2 og the ugliest mofos ever. PS I do like rx muscle for laughs. The wack pack...fuckin hilarious

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2009, 09:34:25 PM »
Some information on Romano...

Do you have a middle name?

Nope.

Where were you born?

New York City, in 1960, on October 29th, I think it was a Wednedsay. Are you going to send me a present?

You grew up in New York City?

Yes, I grew up in Queens for a little bit in my life, and then I moved out to Long Island, right near where Twinlab was.  I lived there until I was 12 or 13.  Then we moved upstate New York to like a big kinda farm type place. I didn’t like it up there. When I was 16, I left home, I came back to the city. And just before my 18th birthday, I went to California.

It kind of farm was this?

It wasn’t like a farm farm. It was a big 65 acre chunk of wood. My dad moved his practice there. He cleared off some lands, put up a couple of fields, built a pond, my mom rode horse. It wasn’t like a dairy farm or a crop farm, it was kind of like a ranch farm.

Any animals there?

We had horses. My sister had goats. We had chickens, that gave us a lot of eggs. We had a pond stocked with trout. We used to fish in the pond a lot.

What was your dad’s practice?

He was a physiatrist.

Where you always bald?

I always had very thin hair, even when it was really, really long. It was very, very thin. Whether it was the case of whatever androgens I may have taken over the course of my life, or just the fact that I may be genetically predispositioned for male pattern baldness in my family, or a combination of all of it. I am not really bald, I just have really thin hair, so rather than always look like shit,  it is easier to shave it all off.

When did you shave your hair off?

I shaved my head when Max was born. So that was about 7 years ago.

So before that, you had hair?

Yes. A big long ponytail, right down the middle of my back. I used to keep the ponytail right under my hat, I rarely whipped it out.

You didn’t have any mullet hair?

No mullet hair, I just combed it back like a gangster.

Why did you leave home when you were 16?

I was very advanced as a kid, and very much a loner, and I didn’t like living up there in the woods. I missed the city, I missed my friends. I didn’t like the school. It was full of hicks and farmers and I got into trouble all of the time.  I got into fights constantly. By the time I was 16, and I got my driver’s license, and I said enough of this. I good friend of the family, who is a few years older then me, lived in the city, so I went back and roomed with him until I moved to California.

And your parents were cool with that?

Yes. I have a fantastic relationship with my parents. They are both still together, still alive, great people. My dad is a smart guy who is very interested in what I was doing, and always has been, always encouraged me to explore new avenues, and take it a step further than I would have on my own. I always always very independent and very capable at a young age. I got my driver’s license the day of my birthday. I couldn’t wait to get my freedom and go. And they were ok with it.

So what was your first car?

My first car was a 1946 Willies CK2A Jeep, that I got when I was 14, and completely took apart and restored in the barn of the farm. I put a big motor in it, jacked it up, and I had one of the first monster truck of that era.

Did you graduate high school?

I graduated high school upstate. I graduated when I was 16 years old, I skipped a year because I was advanced.

Between 16 and 18, what did you do in New York City?

I went into business with a friend of mine. When I was 13, I started to study martial arts in upstate New York. I was getting into trouble in school, and I had to find an outlet for all of that, so I discovered martial arts, which cooled me out. Then I got into competitive fighting and tournaments, and stuff like that, along with some bodybuilding. By the time I was 16, I was looking at that was kind of a sort of viable career path f0r myself. When I went back to the city, I was training in a couple of pretty hardcore mixed martial arts gyms, although at the time, it was really just called kickboxing. I was teaching a little bit in the daytime to make some money, and at night, I started a business with a friend of mine who was delivering musician’s equipment to the recording studios around New York City. He and I bought a van together, and we would go into business together. I spend that 2 years fighting by day, and staying up all night delivering equipment – setting it up, taking it down for musicians.

Why did you get into fights when you were 14-15?

When I was 12-13, I was very fat. And I was a fat Italian kid from New York City, who ended up in upstate New York, with inbred Irish Catholic bigots, who thought that I was different. Kids are cruel and they mock what they don’t understand. I was pretty much an outcast, a loner to begin with and then I was smart, and the environment there was pretty pathetic intellectual as was as socially, and I didn’t fit. There were plenty of Jethro types up there that were willing to throw me around for the enjoyment of it. And I had to do something about it.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2009, 09:36:28 PM »
More regarding Romano via an interview I did a few years back with him..

What was the final push that made you leave New York for California?

Joe Weider. From the first fighting gym I trained at, next to the ring, they had an alcove with weights in it. And every so often, I coincidently run into the guys that were weightlifters, or bodybuilders there. And me, being so young, I didn’t know what it was. And one time, one of them came up to me and said that I would be a better fighter if I was stronger.  And at that time, it was a big no no. You didn’t lift weights if you were a fighter. But it made sense to me. If you are stronger, you hit harder. So sometime after classes, I would stay after with these guys, and started lifting weights. And I really loved it. I responded really well. My legs blew up. I started packing on muscle.  By the time I was 16, and ready to leave that area, I had gone from a fat kid that got beat up everyday to one of the guys that nobody fucked with.  So the magazines that I was reading with respect to bodybuilding, martial arts, motorcycle stuff I was into.  Everything came from California. And on the top of my list was weightlifting because I was getting so much benefit from it.  This was the mid 70’s and Joe Weider was the only game in town. Everything had his name on it. Everybody was in California. California looked so good, the way Joe portrayed it in the magazine.  The beaches, the babes, the sunshine. New York state was cold and rain, and nothing cool was happening there. I just got the bug in my head that I had to go to California. I was 17 then,  I saved up enough money. Told my Mom and Dad, I am going. Bought a one way ticket, $700, and I am going to California.

By yourself?

By myself?

Did you think about what you would do in California?

I just figured that I would figure it out when I got there?  I was always an artist, so I guess I would of pursued some form of art work, which is what I was leaning towards.  Since I already owned 2 businesses before, and knew how to make money, I didn’t feel like I had to work for anybody. When I got to California, the first job I got was construction, and I ended up staying doing that for quite a while. I thought one day I may have had a construction business. But I wasn’t one of those kids that you could sit down and tell you what I wanted to be when I grew up.

What did your New York business partner say when you told him you are going to California?

It was on of those crossroads that we had reached. It wasn’t a big business by any means, it was just me and him and a van.  We got to a point where he wanted to go to school, and do something better with his life. You do that kind of business, you are up all night long. You are at the whim of rock stars and studio musicians. It was easy to get caught up in the life. Both of us started doing too much cocaine to keep it up. We got to a point where both of us looked at each other and realized that we had to get out of here or we would end up dead. He had family in Maryland, and he went there, and went to school, and became a lawyer. We still talk. And I went to California.

In the 1970’s, where you into disco? Dancing? Club scene?

That is funny you brought that up. I went back to New York to celebrate my 18th birthday with my former roommate.  I had a fake id. Back then the legal age was 18, not 21. I turned 18 in Studio 54 in NYC, the hottest disco in New York City at the time. The clock struck midnight on October 29th and I turned 18 there and partied all night long.

So you had a Saturday Night Fever suit?

I didn’t have the suit, but I had the short hair. The polyester pants. The polyester shorts. I looked more like John Travolta than he did.

Speaking of cocaine, how much drugs did you get into, and have you kicked the habit?

Alcohol never did anything for me, so as far as vices would go, in that time, almost everybody was drinking, and I just never saw the sense in it. I was never thirsty enough to get enough of a buzz. I didn’t like the way it felt, didn’t like the way it tasted, and I still don’t. Other than red wine, I really don’t drink anything. But drugs were all around me. You are talking about the mid 70’s in New York City. There was just drugs everywhere, and I was working for musicians.

How did you feel when you were on cocaine?

Pretty invincible. It was definitely a conflict. I started doing it to stay awake, because I work all night, and I had classes during the day.  I had a class to teach in the morning, I was able to get some sleep during the day, then I had another class to teach in the afternoon, and then I had my own training to do, and then after that, it was time to go to work again. Cocaine became a muse for me to function in the way that I had structured my life. Very little time to sleep, and a lot of things to do and a lot of it was high energy.  Working all night, and breaking boards, and fighting three guys at one time during the day. Very taxing physically. And training. Working out.  I lived so healthy during the day.I was making my meals and carrying them with me in the late 1970’s. Nobody was doing that. It was everywhere around me. It was definitely a conflict that I knew it was wrong. I knew it was damaging. But I also knew it wasn’t going to be permanent.

So when did you stop?

When I moved to California. I didn’t seek out a connection.  I didn’t care about it. I just stopped doing it.

You said you fought a lot. Have you ever gotten your ass kicked?

Sure.

What was the worst?

I spent a couple of days at the hospital? Broke a couple of ribs, the cartilage in my nose was displaced, banged up pretty bad, some internal bleeding, but I was ok.

So you came to California. How did you get into the bodybuilding scene?

When I came to California, I went straight to Venice. The thought of my mind was it would be cool to go to Venice because if I cant find a place to live, I can sleep at the beach. That is what I was thinking. Because it is warm out here.  I had already been weight training for a few years by that time. And my first objective was to find the Gold’s Gym.  At the time, Gold’s Gym was on second street in Santa Monica, and World Gym was on Main street. I had joined Gold’s Gym first, then Gold’s moved to Hampton Street, and all the guys there were saying that you have to train legs at World Gym, so ended up with 2 gym memberships.  We used to train legs at World Gym on Saturday because Joe Gold has built the best leg machine in the world, and I trained the rest of the week at Gold’s.

So who was the first bodybuilder you met out in California.

A person named Roger Collin. He did construction too. I kind of met him on a construction job, and we became friends.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2009, 09:40:21 PM »
More from the interview... last part for here, although there is a lot more for later...

But who were you most impressed with? Which bodybuilder?

Arnold.  Arnold was there every day. Arnold was training at World’s Gym. He didn’t like Gold’s Gym, he liked Joe Gold. He was upset when Joe Gold sold Gold’s Gym to Ken Sprague. Arnold and his buddies used to train at World’s Gym and when I trained there, I kept bumping into Arnold.  When World Gym used to be on Main Street in Santa Monica, I used to love it, the building is still there, you can drive by it.  The garage was on the bottom floor, and you walk upstairs, and the gym was basically on the second floor, and on that second floor, half of it was outside. So when you trained outside, you had a great view of the Pacific Ocean, it was like heaven up there.  I eventually gravitated to World’s Gym for a while until Joe Gold kicked me out. Then after that, I trained at Gold’s.

Why did Joe Gold kick you out?

Joe Gold had a nickname for everybody.  For whatever reason, I was the Black Rat. I don’t know why? That is what he used to call me every day. I had a really bad day, was fighting with my girlfriend, I was in a bad mood, I was going to the gym and I just wanted to work out. I was climbing the stairs, and right at the top of the stairs, there is a little office where Joe Gold sat with his big slippers on. I am climbing up the stairs, and as my head gets to the top of the stairs, I heard Joe Gold say “All right, here comes the Black Rat.”  I had found out, whether it is true or not, I don’t know, that Joe Gold’s real name was Sydney Goldman, and that he had changed his name.  When he started into me with the Black Rat routine, he was pretty unrelenting that day, he was just bugging me. So I said ‘Shut up Sid”, and the whole gym just went dead silent. He said “What did you call me?”, and I said “Sidney Goldman, that’s your real name, isn’t it.” And he flipped out. And he wrote me a check for the remainder of my membership and kicked me out.

How did you get from that situation into writing for a magazine?

I was always artistically inclined, and through various mediums, I worked a lot in metal and in wood, and I wrote. I always have written. My mother has stories that I used to write in first grade. That was always a part of my life – writing.

First time I met you was at a Sushi joint in Woodland Hills? What were you doing in Woodland Hills if you were in Venice?

Yes, I remember that. It was a good place. We had our own chopsticks that he kept in drawers for us, wasn’t that cool. The reasons I was in Woodland Hills was that I had bought a house, two block south of Ventura, right off De Soto, right around the corner from where the Joe Weider offices were. I had gotten married to the women I am still with, and we were having a baby. Living in Venice was ok, but you don’t get a lot for your money there.

Who did you get married to?

A women named Suzanne?

And you met her in Venice?

No, I met her in Florida, on the set of the Gladiators. At that time, Shelly and I were together, and we have moved to Orlando, Florida for three years. She was doing the American Gladiators television show, and they were also producing a live dinner theater type show.

Who is Shelly?

Shelly Beattie.  She was my most significant relationship before Suzanne. Shelly was a bodybuilder, she won the NPC USA’s. I met Shelly at the Arnold Classic, where I was training Tonya Knight in 1991. Tonya has won the year before, where she beat Anja Shreiner, and the next year she came back, she didn’t do too well. Leaving the hotel at the Arnold, I met Shelly at the lobby. And we shared a cab to the airport.  She was also on my same flight to California, and she had too many bags, so I offered to check one for her, and we ended up seating next to each other, and we hung out. Next thing you know, we ended up living together, training together, and getting her ready for the Ms. Olympia, where she took third place.  I eventually quit my job, and became Shelly’s manager, and also had started by then to write for Muscular Development.  Tonya Knight was an American Gladiator, she was Gold, and she told me to bring Shelly out for a tryout, and I did, introduced her to the producer, and next thing you know, she was hired, and her name became Siren.  As for Tonya Knight, we were just friends. I actually introduced her to the guy that she got married for a while.  We were living in California, and they were doing the tv show in the San Fernando Valley, and the show ended in 1995. Around the same time, a guy named Bill Cook said he was going to create a team of all women to race for the America’s cup in sailing. I had heard about it from John Parillo, and we went down there to check it out.  It turns out I met Lou Ferrigno’s cousin Roc, who was on Dennis Connor’s team at the gym one day, and he said that
you have to come down, hang out with us at the compound, come sailing with us. At the same time, I brought Shelly to this tryout for this all women’s team, and they ended up hiring her. So we had to move to San Diego, and do this sailing thing for a year and a half.  For a short while, I was on Dennis Conner’s team, and she was on Bill Cook’s team. After that ended, we got offered to do the live show, so we went to Orlando to do the American Gladiator’s live show.

So when did you start working for Muscular Development?

Steve Blechman hired me in 1989. I was in prison with Dan Duchaine and got out at the very end of 1989, and I was sitting in my empty apartment figuring out what I was going to do, and my phone rang, and it was Steve. Before I had gone to prison, I had done some segments for Lou Zwick of American Muscle, when I was the Musclechef. And Steve had bought Muscular Development a year earlier, and he wanted me to write articles, because they were sponsoring Lou’s show, and he thought it would be great to have some articles in the magazine, and he offered me a column, which I accepted, and I have been with him ever since.

Prison. What was the charges? What happened?

My prison sentence. I am just going to say it was a white collar beef. It had nothing to do with drugs? I was in prison a little under 2 years, from 1987 to 1989. I was guilty. I haven’t been to prison since.

John the Musclechef? Are you a cook?

I did a lot of different jobs trying to make ends meet over the years. I wasn’t really a chef, just that fact that I ate like a bodybuilder, and I am Italian, and everybody in my family cooks, and here I am eating chicken breasts and baked potatoes. So I had to get creative to force down the food I was eating back then. The guy I was training back then, Dean Tornican, he won the Lightweight Mr. America back in 1985, he and I were training partners in Gold’s Gym. He had done an interview with Lou Zwick for Muscle Magazine, and he told Lou about me, that I was a really good cook, that he should have a cooking segment for bodybuilders. Lou thought it was a good idea, he called me up, we talked about it, he came to my house, shot three shows, he thought it was pretty successful, then he came back and shot more.

So you know Lou Zwick? There are interesting questions about him? Tell me about him?

Lou Zwick was the first behind the scenes player in bodybuilding that I had met. I have known him the longest I have known him since 1985. I have known Ron Harris since 1985 too.  The only thing I am going to tell you about Lou is that he still owes me money. Lou was always cool with me, always professional, and also a couple of guys that were working with him also said that. I still have a great relationship with Lou Zwick.

Meeting Dan Duchaine? Where you impressed with him in prison?

I had no clue who he was just through bodybuilding. I had read the first Underground Steroid handbook in the early 1980s and it was an eye opening experience. I thought the guy was pretty intelligent.  When I finally got to the prison camp where they sent me after 4-5 months of jail in downtown Los Angeles, without any sunshine or fresh air, I found the weight pile there, and started training, and I hear this voice saying “Aren’t you the food guy”, and I looked at him and said ‘Aren’t you the steroid guy?’ And we hit it off right away. We trained together in prison, we hung out together almost every day, he was an amazing intelligent and diverse person who had so much knowledge in so many different areas that you don’t even think about when you think of what goes with bodybuilding. When you are in that environment, you wish, almost as much as female companionship, is intellectual stimulation. You can go batty with all of those dingbats in there. And Dan was a person you can talk about politics, arts, theater and much more.

io856

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2009, 01:49:14 AM »
Will be tuning in for the first time in a long time.

Good Stuff

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2009, 04:29:07 AM »
John Romano is a disgusting putrid pile of human excrement.

Benito Mutumbo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2009, 04:11:39 PM »
He sure props himself up as an "artist"

Armstrong

• Getbig III
  • Victor got screwed.
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2009, 05:58:54 PM »
Romano sounds remorseful for his past behavior  :-\
Everything is BIGGER in Texas!!!

Spicy Shushi

• Getbig III
  • KNOW HOMO?
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2009, 09:37:00 PM »
Romano sounds remorseful for his past behavior  :-\

Perhaps I can translate. "Now that I don't have Blechwoman scratching me a fat check every month I'm going to lick the balls of everyone that I ridiculed and screwed over so I can make nice and make it look like that was all Blechwoman's agenda and I was just his innocent little bitch following orders."

Seriously, give me a break. 18 years of history speaks louder than 20 minutes of BS on PBW. 
Enjoy your dish...

dknole

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2009, 09:16:36 AM »

AT least Cher is known....lol (and a multi-multi-millionaire...)