Author Topic: I Benched 107.5 kg in Competition 3-16-08  (Read 93320 times)

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Re: My Quest to Bench 225 in Competition
« Reply #100 on: October 01, 2007, 03:03:53 PM »
I had seam marks on the backs of my arms and war wounds all over when i took it off.   :o

Looks like a perfect fit considering it's a brand new shirt.

Good to see, I was almost starting to believe you about it being too small. 8)

You actually did a fairly good job of getting it up on the shoulders, the only thing you need to remember, is to hang down on the shirt in the front and on the sides, so the crinkle over the chest goes away.

Then secure the shirt around the waist with a belt.
As empty as paradise

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #101 on: October 01, 2007, 04:37:17 PM »
that is why there are RAW records and equipped records. some feds are single ply only, some allow canvas and multi ply,

it's all relative.

think of it as a percentage.

if i bench 480 raw and 590 with a shirt, what percentage improvement do i get?

if she benches 155 raw and 225 with a shirt, what percentage?

if Tiny meeker benches 630 raw and 946 with a shirt, what percentage?

get my drift? don't just look at the numbers but the relative improvement.

i have seen guys who bench 500+ raw only hit high 500 in a shirt. i've seen kids who bench 185 raw bench almost 300 in a shirt.

8)

Yeah, I get it. I just don't see the point in using them. She is going for a personal record, not a world record. I would rather go shirtless myself and see how much progress I really made in one years time.
E

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #102 on: October 01, 2007, 04:41:55 PM »
OK GUYS, I ALMOST got the shirt on...and really, all I can say is YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME.  This cannot be right.  This shirt HAS to be too small for me. 

The seams at the ends of the arms are ridiculous.  They are SO tight, it was incredibly painful to get it on my arms (thanks for the tips Hedge, they did work lol), and I barely got it over my elbows.  My right arm is considerably bigger than my left and was much harder.  My right arm turned purple and lost feeling after about 10 minutes.  My right arm even started to get a little cold.  WHY do the seams at the end of the arms have to be that tight?   >:(
Should I be losing feeling in my arms?  WTF?!?!

Getting it over my head and shoulders and down my back was relatively easy compared to the arms.  We did not get it on 100% though...I don't think we completely set the neck.  But there is this seam or fold or something that cuts across my upper pec and is SO painful when I try to spread my arms apart or make a pressing movement.  It's hard to believe that even pressing in this shirt will be possible.

I am posting a few pictures of the shirt on me because I find it really hard to believe that this shirt is going to fit me and that I am going to be able to press in it. 
Seriously....Is this shirt the right size for me?  Can you see how it's cutting into my arms?  HOW do I get it up my arms a little more and get the neck set?? 
I'm willing to make a few more attempts to get it all the way on me, but seriously...wtf?!

???

that's why people walk to the bench with their arms out in front of them like mummies at meets, the shirt is supposed to be that tight.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #103 on: October 01, 2007, 04:45:23 PM »
Than why use one to try 225? I am confused here. I hate shirts myself, I think it distorts the records, but that is neither here nor there. Why use a shirt to push 225?
it's all relative Danny, a 225 bench might not be much for a lot of guys but for her it's a good amount due to her bodyweight, i applaud her efforts for trying, let's see how it goes, she's certainly not the only woman to bench in a shirt, i feel sorry for the cute little thing with all those marks on her arms, i'd love to massage them out. :D

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #104 on: October 01, 2007, 04:46:44 PM »
it's all relative Danny, a 225 bench might not be much for a lot of guys but for her it's a good amount due to her bodyweight, i applaud her efforts for trying, let's see how it goes, she's certainly not the only woman to bench in a shirt, i feel sorry for the cute little thing with all those marks on her arms, i'd love to massage them out. :D

Yes, but if she got 195 unshirted, it would be more impressive than 225 shirted imo.
E

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #105 on: October 01, 2007, 04:49:25 PM »
Yes, but if she got 195 unshirted, it would be more impressive than 225 shirted imo.
i agree, i also think she could get 225 in a year and a half or so without the shirt which is VERY IMPRESSIVE for a woman done Raw, how many women do you ever see benching 225 Raw in the gym?

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #106 on: October 01, 2007, 04:50:34 PM »
i agree, i also think she could get 225 in a year and a half or so without the shirt which is VERY IMPRESSIVE for a woman done Raw, how many women do you ever see benching 225 Raw in the gym?

None, I heard Chynna did 315 a few years back, but now that I am reading about shirts and whatnot I am not all that impressed.
E

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #107 on: October 01, 2007, 04:52:43 PM »
None, I heard Chynna did 315 a few years back, but now that I am reading about shirts and whatnot I am not all that impressed.
yeah i heard that too but i don't know, i did see a clip on WWE or somewhere else of her doing a few reps with a pair of 100's on the flat bench.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #108 on: October 01, 2007, 05:12:51 PM »

Another weird aspect of this whole benchshirt thing is that her raw bench won't become as good due to her having to train more specific for benchpress with a shirt.

Granted, she will make great progress with and without shirt, but if you only are going to benchpress RAW, then you won't have the same focus on getting strong in the upper part of the lift, eg using boards, chains, rubber bands et al.

It's simple really. You become good at what you train.

Those who make the transition from either raw only to shirt or vice versa, usually needs at least 5-6 months to get up to speed.

rip looks to have good or very good biomechanics for benchpress - short limbs with good triceps strength. could do really well if she's got the heart for it.
As empty as paradise

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #109 on: October 01, 2007, 05:16:21 PM »

Chyna did 315 raw actually... I saw her and HHH years ago in a Gym in Richmond, Va. (Powerhouse Gym... It's closed now.)

She did what HHH did... up to 315. She did it like once... HHH did it a few more times. No bench shirt.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #110 on: October 01, 2007, 07:17:01 PM »
Thank you guys for your input! 
I suppose I'm willing to work with it and see what happens, but I sure would like to convince Hedge that I need one size up... :D
I really don't understand why the arms have to be so painfully small. 

I should clarify that this isn't specifically about me benching 225, that's just a target, and who knows what will happen.  I'm fairly certain that my raw bench will get better too.

The bottom line with the shirt is that it's a new challenge for me, it's something different.  I've been training forever, I have been benching for years, and I have never used one.  This kind of training is completely foreign to me, and I like mixing things up since I spend so much damn time in the gym. I've never even really known how to bench properly, so this is a good learning experience for me all the way around.

Not to mention that all of the bench meets in my area allow shirts, and everyone wears them.  If I am competing in shirted meets, then I should wear a fkn shirt, why not?  I'll be competing against other women wearing shirts, most of whom are bigger than me, and I am pretty sure I will do OK.  Last year, I competed raw, and I did OK.  This year, it's gonna be good.   8) 

OVERLOAD...yes, I did use grocery bags on my arms.  Good thing too or else I would never have gotten it on!!
:)

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #111 on: October 02, 2007, 07:31:58 AM »
Yeah, I get it. I just don't see the point in using them. She is going for a personal record, not a world record. I would rather go shirtless myself and see how much progress I really made in one years time.

To each their own my friend.

As hedge mention your RAW bench will usually improve when you add shirt presses. i know it did for me due do the added weight being used for lockouts.

Plus there are very few RAW competitions these days. i had to drive halfway across the country to compete in my last RAW meet.

8)

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #112 on: October 02, 2007, 08:38:42 AM »
I had seam marks on the backs of my arms and war wounds all over when i took it off.   :o

I just re-examined this pic, and I have to say, it looks to be great fit. Definitely not too small.

And great news about it being really tight around the arms from the start, perhaps you won't have to custom fit it yourself later on.

As Overload mentioned, keep the hands up resting on the barbell or somewhere shoulder high when not lifting.

The shirt will get slightly bigger over time too. Good choice!

As empty as paradise

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #113 on: October 02, 2007, 09:09:04 AM »
I just re-examined this pic, and I have to say, it looks to be great fit. Definitely not too small.

And great news about it being really tight around the arms from the start, perhaps you won't have to custom fit it yourself later on.

As Overload mentioned, keep the hands up resting on the barbell or somewhere shoulder high when not lifting.

The shirt will get slightly bigger over time too. Good choice!

I was afraid you were gonna say that lol.   :-\

OK, I am willing to stick with this shirt and see if I can make it work.  It seems like if I can suck it up and stretch it out, I will ultimately be happier with the tighter fit.  You'll prolly hear me bitching a few more times until then though.   ;D
I'm gonna try it on again this week and try to get the sleeves UP my arm a little more (OUCH) and try to get that crinkle out of my chest.  That crinkle cannot be there if I am going to attempt to press any weight at all, it will kill me.

Overload sent me a link to buy the slippers, they look pretty cool.  I think I am gonna have to get me a set of those.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #114 on: October 02, 2007, 10:33:34 AM »

I was afraid you were gonna say that lol.   :-\

OK, I am willing to stick with this shirt and see if I can make it work.  It seems like if I can suck it up and stretch it out, I will ultimately be happier with the tighter fit.  You'll prolly hear me bitching a few more times until then though.   ;D
I'm gonna try it on again this week and try to get the sleeves UP my arm a little more (OUCH) and try to get that crinkle out of my chest.  That crinkle cannot be there if I am going to attempt to press any weight at all, it will kill me.

Overload sent me a link to buy the slippers, they look pretty cool.  I think I am gonna have to get me a set of those.

Have you tried wetting the arms?  If you use some warm water and wet the seam of the arm, then stretch it, it will relax a bit the first few times you use the shirt.   That bit of a give can be a night and day difference.  If they are still painfully tight, wet them and use a football (for a woman, use a childs football) to slightly stretch the holes.  As the fabric dries, it will return to almost its original shape, so you may have to do this a couple of times.  You don't want to compramise the locking of the arm hole so the sleeves slip, you'll loose some of the benifits of the shirt if you do that. 

Also remember to wet the collar/chest panel if you are having a hard time touching.  This will relax the fibers of the panel just enough you can touch without compromising the effects of the shirt.   For what ever reason, warm water seems to work the best to me. 

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #115 on: October 02, 2007, 10:51:57 AM »
Have you tried wetting the arms?  If you use some warm water and wet the seam of the arm, then stretch it, it will relax a bit the first few times you use the shirt.   That bit of a give can be a night and day difference.  If they are still painfully tight, wet them and use a football (for a woman, use a childs football) to slightly stretch the holes.  As the fabric dries, it will return to almost its original shape, so you may have to do this a couple of times.  You don't want to compramise the locking of the arm hole so the sleeves slip, you'll loose some of the benifits of the shirt if you do that. 

Also remember to wet the collar/chest panel if you are having a hard time touching.  This will relax the fibers of the panel just enough you can touch without compromising the effects of the shirt.   For what ever reason, warm water seems to work the best to me. 

Hedge suggested wetting it across the collar and chest panel to stretch it for pressing, so I will do that, and I will DEFINITELY wet the sleeves next time I put it on.  The sleeves are BY FAR the worst part.  The pics crack me up because I look like I have monster 8 inch arms.   :D

I was going to ask if there is some sort of stretching device I could use for the sleeves.  I'll get a kids football and give it a try.  I am fairly certain that the sleeves will not loosen to the extent of compromising the benefits of the shirt.

Thanks.   :)

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #116 on: October 02, 2007, 11:03:55 AM »

Hedge suggested wetting it across the collar and chest panel to stretch it for pressing, so I will do that, and I will DEFINITELY wet the sleeves next time I put it on.  The sleeves are BY FAR the worst part.  The pics crack me up because I look like I have monster 8 inch arms.   :D

I was going to ask if there is some sort of stretching device I could use for the sleeves.  I'll get a kids football and give it a try.  I am fairly certain that the sleeves will not loosen to the extent of compromising the benefits of the shirt.

Thanks.   :)

if you 've got access to an air compressor, let the air out of the football, put the football in the sleeve, wedging it on the desired cross stitch size, then inflate the football with the air compressor.  Its way easier than stretchign it over the football by hand and it won't alter the shape of the arm.   

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #117 on: October 02, 2007, 11:50:20 AM »
if you 've got access to an air compressor, let the air out of the football, put the football in the sleeve, wedging it on the desired cross stitch size, then inflate the football with the air compressor.  Its way easier than stretchign it over the football by hand and it won't alter the shape of the arm.   

Now you're talkin'....as you may be able to tell from the pics, we have a pretty extensive garage/workshop that does include a large air compressor.  Thanks for the idea.   8)

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #118 on: October 02, 2007, 12:51:23 PM »
I just use water around the neck area. you won't be trying to touch in the shirt for a while so it will loosen up with all the board presses over time. the tight arms and chest area is what gives you the benefit of wearing the shirt, you want it very tight.

8)

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #119 on: October 02, 2007, 01:28:36 PM »
I just use water around the neck area. you won't be trying to touch in the shirt for a while so it will loosen up with all the board presses over time. the tight arms and chest area is what gives you the benefit of wearing the shirt, you want it very tight.

8)

Yeah, I am gonna try to stretch the seams on the arms a BIT, dry first. 
If I can get it all the way on and get that crinkle out of the chest, I am confident that the chest and shoulders will stretch as much as I need them to just from practicing with the shirt. 

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #120 on: October 07, 2007, 10:33:45 AM »
I am still struggling with the shirt...I think I managed to get it on all the way this time, although the arms are still RIDICULOUSLY TIGHT.  I have not stretched it yet b/c I don't have a football yet, and I got it on without wetting anything.

I am still thinking it's small for me.  We managed to get the crinkle out of my chest, although it came back when I moved my arms around a bit.  My hands were total pins and needles after a few minutes.
I tried to lay on a cooler and hold a broom to see what benching might feel like in the shirt.  My husband put A LITTLE pressure on the broom, just to try to get the bar down to my chest a little, and the pressure and pain was pretty intense across my chest and under my arms.  The pics below illustrate about how far down I could get the bar with the shirt on.   :-\
How in the world am I going to get the bar to touch?!  It hurts!!  I can't imagine what it's going to feel like with weight on it.  At this point, I can hardly handle having the shirt ON for more than 5 mins...how am I gonna bench?

I was thinking maybe of keeping this shirt and getting one size bigger for starters?  And then working my way into this shirt, maybe after a couple months?  Am I just being a noob and/or not giving it enough of a chance?

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #121 on: October 07, 2007, 01:00:11 PM »
love the sandals. ;)

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #122 on: October 07, 2007, 11:04:38 PM »
I am still struggling with the shirt...I think I managed to get it on all the way this time, although the arms are still RIDICULOUSLY TIGHT.  I have not stretched it yet b/c I don't have a football yet, and I got it on without wetting anything.

I am still thinking it's small for me.  We managed to get the crinkle out of my chest, although it came back when I moved my arms around a bit.  My hands were total pins and needles after a few minutes.
I tried to lay on a cooler and hold a broom to see what benching might feel like in the shirt.  My husband put A LITTLE pressure on the broom, just to try to get the bar down to my chest a little, and the pressure and pain was pretty intense across my chest and under my arms.  The pics below illustrate about how far down I could get the bar with the shirt on.   :-\
How in the world am I going to get the bar to touch?!  It hurts!!  I can't imagine what it's going to feel like with weight on it.  At this point, I can hardly handle having the shirt ON for more than 5 mins...how am I gonna bench?

I was thinking maybe of keeping this shirt and getting one size bigger for starters?  And then working my way into this shirt, maybe after a couple months?  Am I just being a noob and/or not giving it enough of a chance?

One thing I've learned with bench shirts is you have to be able to withstand the shirt.  If you have one on that is so uncomfortable that you cannot focus to lift the weight, you are going to compromise your total at the end (its like a ball pinching squat suit---you go down, the boys get pinched, you AREN't squatting that weight, its that simple).   You need to get used to this shirt---looking at you in it, it doesn't appear to be too tight for a competition shirt.  The thing is you are not used to wearing a shirt at all and your posts sound quite a bit like what my wives rants  have been the last month as I'm trying to get her used to benching with her shirt (she's using a single layer Rage, not an F6)---and the grumbling has gotten really bad because her next contest is a RAW bench contest, not a shirted one. 

If you can afford it, it won't hurt to get one size bigger so that you can get used to the tightness of the shirt.  The thing is you still need to work with this shirt to break it in an keep with the specific groove of the shirt for your competition.  You are going to make a mistake if you think you can work with a different shirt and then throw this one one a week or two before the competition and potentially not be able to touch.   I really think you need to be comfortable (or in tight gear as comfortable as you can be) with your opening weight so you don't bomb out. 

I also wouldn't wear that belt with a bench shirt.  The back is WAY TOO WIDE in my opinion.  Its going to interfere with your arch and hurt your max in the long run.  You want a belt half that width at the most. 

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #123 on: October 08, 2007, 06:25:08 AM »
One thing I've learned with bench shirts is you have to be able to withstand the shirt.  If you have one on that is so uncomfortable that you cannot focus to lift the weight, you are going to compromise your total at the end (its like a ball pinching squat suit---you go down, the boys get pinched, you AREN't squatting that weight, its that simple).   You need to get used to this shirt---looking at you in it, it doesn't appear to be too tight for a competition shirt.  The thing is you are not used to wearing a shirt at all and your posts sound quite a bit like what my wives rants  have been the last month as I'm trying to get her used to benching with her shirt (she's using a single layer Rage, not an F6)---and the grumbling has gotten really bad because her next contest is a RAW bench contest, not a shirted one. 

If you can afford it, it won't hurt to get one size bigger so that you can get used to the tightness of the shirt.  The thing is you still need to work with this shirt to break it in an keep with the specific groove of the shirt for your competition.  You are going to make a mistake if you think you can work with a different shirt and then throw this one one a week or two before the competition and potentially not be able to touch.   I really think you need to be comfortable (or in tight gear as comfortable as you can be) with your opening weight so you don't bomb out. 

I also wouldn't wear that belt with a bench shirt.  The back is WAY TOO WIDE in my opinion.  Its going to interfere with your arch and hurt your max in the long run.  You want a belt half that width at the most. 

I agree on the belt thing.

There are actually special benchpress belts that are more narrow in the back. Those are optimal.

BTW, that shirt looks like it will be perfect come contest time in Feb.

Use the benchpress shirt on the #2 workout with the board presses, and use a 3 board (maybe even a 4 board the first couple of sets the first workout).

There is a tremendous difference whether you've got the sleeves far enough up on your shoulders or not. Also remember to pull the shirt down hard on the sides, but not so much in the front, just make the shirt "sit" good.

Looking at the lifting pics, it further convinces me that you got a very good fit, a shirt you should be able to get a 240-250 lift. But you need to slowly work that shirt in, and it will take time to get the bar down. You'll need patience.
As empty as paradise

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #124 on: October 08, 2007, 09:50:22 AM »
OK so maybe it's a "girl thing."   ;)
I MIGHT be able to get used to this shirt....I'm sort of being a noob, and I am being impatient. 

Thanks for the advice on the belt...that's my hubby's lifting belt.  I've never worn one of those either, so I am clueless on what kind works for benching.  I'll look around.