Author Topic: I Benched 107.5 kg in Competition 3-16-08  (Read 93296 times)

trab

• Getbig V
Re: My Quest to Bench 225 in Competition
« Reply #125 on: October 08, 2007, 02:39:14 PM »
That's look'n a lot better.
 Vets 100% right on about the belt, no arch.

And the sandals didn't escape Squads sharp eye, ditch  'em immediately, and get used to wearin
 sumfin that'll DELIVER leg drive. (Right thru yur TIGHT belted abs,,,lats,,, and finally thru the arms)

As long as yur but dont leave the bench, use all the muscles ya got.
And leg drive will tack on a bunch of plate to a PL style bench press once you get it down.

Warning - Your delts, Tris, and lats are going to grow some.

Put some Chain on bar ends  & Boards on chest.    ;)

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #126 on: October 08, 2007, 03:02:57 PM »
Oly Weightlifting shoes, gives you legal heel height, and also are flat.

And got good grip and hard, solid soles.

There are a couple of brands out there. Of course Adidas, but the chinese brand (the name escapes me right now) is just as good (the Chinese National Team uses it and they're world class).

Adidas is the most expensive.

But whatever you do, don't get some powerlifting brand, like Inzer (a friend's got a pair of those, and they're useless for any kind of powerlifting).

Chuck Taylor's aren't optimal either, since they don't have a heel, plus that they're very soft.

Some US powerlifters choose to lift in them anyways, my guess it's because Chuck Taylor's have become part of the PL culture, not because they're good to lift in.

JMO though, others may be of different opinion.
As empty as paradise

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #127 on: October 08, 2007, 03:08:02 PM »

There are a couple of brands out there. Of course Adidas, but the chinese brand (the name escapes me right now) is just as good (the Chinese National Team uses it and they're world class).

But whatever you do, don't get some powerlifting brand, like Inzer (a friend's got a pair of those, and they're useless for any kind of powerlifting).

Chuck Taylor's aren't optimal either, since they don't have a heel, plus that they're very soft.

Some US powerlifters choose to lift in them anyways, my guess it's because Chuck Taylor's have become part of the PL culture, not because they're good to lift in.

So If I ever wanted to do a comp, I cant wear my work boots?
Im so use to them, I feel naked w/ out them. And they work fine for bench.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #128 on: October 08, 2007, 03:30:40 PM »
So If I ever wanted to do a comp, I cant wear my work boots?
Im so use to them, I feel naked w/ out them. And they work fine for bench.

Don't know what kind of working boots you have. 8)

Seriously speaking though, getting of topic slightly, military boots eg are really bad squat shoes.

Because they have a rolling sole, ie they're custom mold to help you stride forward.

This is just my opinion, and I respect anyone who's of another opinion. And if anyone prefers camo boots, I think they should lift in those.

Or in your case, work boots.

The knock on Oly Weightlifting shoes usually is in the squat, and the critisism is aimed at how the heels keep you leaned forward, makes you lean forward during the lift.

I don't experience this.

The best alternative IMO if you want flat shoes, no heels, is wrestling shoes.

Edit: for benchpress, a slight heel helps you drive the feet into the ground more evenly IMO. But that would be the only real advantage. Having shoes that your comfy with probably outweighs anything then.
As empty as paradise

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #129 on: October 08, 2007, 03:38:15 PM »
Yes I agree, I cant even begin to try squats w/ any heel on a shoe, but bench dont bother me at all.
In fact I like the feel of my heavy safety toe boots when I bench.
Im just so used to wearing them.

Rip has a lot of BBing habits to break to get a max lift.
All that making a light weight feel heavy BBing BIz needs a little tuning.
Every little advantage adds up. Leg drive is crucial. So is foot wear.

I dont mind BBing in sandles (if no idiots are around dropping stuff) but getting serious w/ a load of plates is different.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #130 on: October 08, 2007, 04:30:18 PM »
I do have a lot of BB Habits to break... :-\

But as for the sandals, I was just trying the shirt on in the garage, and I didn't want to get my sneaks covered in baby powder.  I was wearing a pair of Skechers flip flops.   8) 
But I don't actually train in them. 

As of now, I was planning on just wearing my regular workout sneakers for benching...although I thought the Chuck Taylor's would have been cool lol.  Is it really worth it to consider a special pair of shoes?

:)

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #131 on: October 08, 2007, 04:54:17 PM »
I can make legs  sore benching, and get  cramps in my archs now and then  ;)

I think any solid shoe you are comfortable in and is legal will do.
Squats or leg press machines are another matter all together. I dont like boots there.

"Break"  is not the best word I guess.
Being able to do them another way of several is a better way to put it.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #132 on: October 09, 2007, 04:50:58 AM »
I am enjoying the different training program, it's nice to do something new, but it's definitely way different and I have a lot to learn yet.

One thing I am having trouble with is training LESS, even though the training is harder. 

I think I will start posting my chest workouts in this thread so that I can keep track of my numbers...I've made it through three weeks and I am back on a heavy week this week. 

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #133 on: October 09, 2007, 06:08:55 AM »
Singles, Doubles and Tripples off  boards w/ chain is my Fav.

It develops explosive power. Makes it so you can throw some heavy stuff around.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #134 on: October 09, 2007, 07:53:03 AM »

I'll disagree with you on the chucks.  Their use in the US all comes from Westside Barbell and "pushing out on the side of the foot" while "pushing the knees out" as you sit back during a box squat or ME squat.  If you look at the boxes of reebock or nike or adidas or whatever other type of "athletic" shoe you are used to wearing, almost all of them have some degree of internal rotation designed within the shoe.  I used to think it was bullshit, so I began reading shoe boxes and experimenting around with different shoes---I have to say I am stronger and feel more stable in a flat soled shoe like chucks using that squatting style, and chucks have the added benefit of being "hightops" so you won't walk out of your shoes when stepping out with a really heavy weight.  The final thing is chucks don't have those stupid air bladders in the heels that almost all types of running/tennis shoes have now days.   I don't know if youve ever popped one of thse damned things with 585 on your shoulders, but if you have you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.   You instantly destabilize. 

I personally HATE squating in work boots.  I think you have too limited flexibility through the foot with them and the raised heels tends to increase pressure on my patellar tendons and knee (neither of my knees are the best anymore).  One of the worst squatting injuries i"ve ever seen was from a person squatting in work boots without the shoes tied tightly.  The guy ended up wtih a broken tibia as a result of stepping on the shoe lace and falling flat on his ass. 

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #135 on: October 09, 2007, 08:00:13 AM »
I do have a lot of BB Habits to break... :-\

But as for the sandals, I was just trying the shirt on in the garage, and I didn't want to get my sneaks covered in baby powder.  I was wearing a pair of Skechers flip flops.   8) 
But I don't actually train in them. 

As of now, I was planning on just wearing my regular workout sneakers for benching...although I thought the Chuck Taylor's would have been cool lol.  Is it really worth it to consider a special pair of shoes?

Not for the contest you are entering.  I really don't think it'll make any bit of a difference.  Get your shirt right and your belt right first.  Worry about the shoes only if you've got money to burn.  What you want is a shoe with good toe traction and ankle flexibility---so if possible check out where the contest is so you can get an idea of new vs old vs flat soled shoes.  Carpeting has different traction than linoleum vs wood vs concrete.  Remember that.  Wear a shoe that is going to maximize your traction.   ALSO find out if they are allowing Stickum or any shit like that.  That can make or break you if its a small contest and you've got a slick floor to deal with. 

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #136 on: October 09, 2007, 08:35:44 AM »
Not for the contest you are entering.  I really don't think it'll make any bit of a difference.  Get your shirt right and your belt right first.  Worry about the shoes only if you've got money to burn.  What you want is a shoe with good toe traction and ankle flexibility---so if possible check out where the contest is so you can get an idea of new vs old vs flat soled shoes.  Carpeting has different traction than linoleum vs wood vs concrete.  Remember that.  Wear a shoe that is going to maximize your traction.   ALSO find out if they are allowing Stickum or any shit like that.  That can make or break you if its a small contest and you've got a slick floor to deal with. 

Thanks.  I am fairly certain that I will be using wooden blocks under my feet.  Right now I am using Reebok Steps (4 inches), and they are working quite well!  We're gonna put together some wooden blocks, not sure yet about exactly how to construct them though, to maximize traction and minimize slipping. 
The bench meet will most likely be in a hotel with carpet.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #137 on: October 09, 2007, 08:51:39 AM »

Thanks.  I am fairly certain that I will be using wooden blocks under my feet.  Right now I am using Reebok Steps (4 inches), and they are working quite well!  We're gonna put together some wooden blocks, not sure yet about exactly how to construct them though, to maximize traction and minimize slipping. 
The bench meet will most likely be in a hotel with carpet.

Talk with your contest promotor to make sure if you build your own blocks they fit within the rules of the contest.  Honestly, for the contests I can think of where blocks were used by competitors that I've been to, I'm fairly certian the promoters provided the blocks.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #138 on: October 09, 2007, 10:02:45 AM »
Lots of good info in here.

i only scanned through the posts but i wanted to make a few comments.

Chuck taylors are perfect powerlifting shoes for someone at your level, i use them for bench and deadlift(maybe it's my westside influence). i use the inzer power shoes for squats and olympic lifts. shoes won't help much in the bench press but use whatever you feel comfortable with.

the shirt looks perfect. you "shouldn't" be able to touch the bar to your chest with anything less than 50 pounds over your RAW max. start with 3 boards to help stretch the shirt, i personally would never stretch a shirt any other way than using it. you shouldnt be worried about touching in the shirt for months. it's going to hurt but you will like it after a while.

you can use a normal belt for jeans if you want, no need to spend the cash on a special shirt belt. i have one but it really doesn't help any more than a regular clothing belt.

if you feel really uncomfortable in the shirt, try one size larger and work your way into the tighter shirt. no need to rush through all this. when i started i used a loose shirt just to learn the groove and slowly moved into smaller shirts. the smaller/tighter the shirt, the more weight you can use but it's also more difficult to control and you could dump the bar alot. i'd rather see you move into it slowly with confidence.

8)

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #139 on: October 09, 2007, 11:35:17 AM »
Lots of good info in here.

i only scanned through the posts but i wanted to make a few comments.

Chuck taylors are perfect powerlifting shoes for someone at your level, i use them for bench and deadlift(maybe it's my westside influence). i use the inzer power shoes for squats and olympic lifts. shoes won't help much in the bench press but use whatever you feel comfortable with.

the shirt looks perfect. you "shouldn't" be able to touch the bar to your chest with anything less than 50 pounds over your RAW max. start with 3 boards to help stretch the shirt, i personally would never stretch a shirt any other way than using it. you shouldnt be worried about touching in the shirt for months. it's going to hurt but you will like it after a while.

you can use a normal belt for jeans if you want, no need to spend the cash on a special shirt belt. i have one but it really doesn't help any more than a regular clothing belt.

if you feel really uncomfortable in the shirt, try one size larger and work your way into the tighter shirt. no need to rush through all this. when i started i used a loose shirt just to learn the groove and slowly moved into smaller shirts. the smaller/tighter the shirt, the more weight you can use but it's also more difficult to control and you could dump the bar alot. i'd rather see you move into it slowly with confidence.

8)

Definitely A LOT of good information, so thanks to everyone.  I have a few friends who do PL, but none are geographically close enough to me to help, and none in my gym...this is all pretty much new to me (hence the bitching about the shirt  ;D). 
This board is my primary source of info and feedback at this point, so I appreciate it very much!

8)

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #140 on: October 09, 2007, 01:48:42 PM »

Definitely A LOT of good information, so thanks to everyone.  I have a few friends who do PL, but none are geographically close enough to me to help, and none in my gym...this is all pretty much new to me (hence the bitching about the shirt  ;D). 
This board is my primary source of info and feedback at this point, so I appreciate it very much!

8)

No problem.

I've trained at 2 very good powerlifting gyms in the last 7 years so i learned from national level powerlifters. the MOST important thing is to take your time and be confident in your lifting. NEVER think negative, your mind is more powerful than your muscles. every time i had negative thoughts before a big bench attempt i bombed out. always believe you CAN do it with ease! stay focused on your goal and never give up, no matter what happens.

My first 2 WABDL meets i bombed all 3 bench attempts due to being nervous. i came back a year later after tons of practice and nailed a PR in the bench and deadlift.

Good luck.

8)

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #141 on: October 09, 2007, 04:14:46 PM »
Rip, have you seen the up on toes style w/ a giant arch?
If blocks are needed, perhaps that style would help eliminate the need.
Maybe someone here can describe it, and you can experiment w/ it.
I cant even get into it.
This is fun, in time you'll press 2 wheels each side in a T-shirt if you keep at it.

Really make all the Gym dorks look. ;)

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #142 on: October 09, 2007, 06:03:55 PM »
Rip, have you seen the up on toes style w/ a giant arch?
If blocks are needed, perhaps that style would help eliminate the need.
Maybe someone here can describe it, and you can experiment w/ it.
I cant even get into it.
This is fun, in time you'll press 2 wheels each side in a T-shirt if you keep at it.

Really make all the Gym dorks look. ;)

I actually used to bench on my toes all the time, never knew any other way...I talked to Hedge about it, and I decided to work on benching flat-footed so that I can compete in whatever federation I want to in the future.  Might as well get used to it now.

This IS definitely gonna be fun.  I figured out a way to stretch the arms just a bit on the bench shirt tonight.   ;D

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #143 on: October 09, 2007, 08:49:06 PM »
I'll disagree with you on the chucks.  Their use in the US all comes from Westside Barbell and "pushing out on the side of the foot" while "pushing the knees out" as you sit back during a box squat or ME squat.  If you look at the boxes of reebock or nike or adidas or whatever other type of "athletic" shoe you are used to wearing, almost all of them have some degree of internal rotation designed within the shoe.  I used to think it was bullshit, so I began reading shoe boxes and experimenting around with different shoes---I have to say I am stronger and feel more stable in a flat soled shoe like chucks using that squatting style, and chucks have the added benefit of being "hightops" so you won't walk out of your shoes when stepping out with a really heavy weight.  The final thing is chucks don't have those stupid air bladders in the heels that almost all types of running/tennis shoes have now days.   I don't know if youve ever popped one of thse damned things with 585 on your shoulders, but if you have you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.   You instantly destabilize. 

I personally HATE squating in work boots.  I think you have too limited flexibility through the foot with them and the raised heels tends to increase pressure on my patellar tendons and knee (neither of my knees are the best anymore).  One of the worst squatting injuries i"ve ever seen was from a person squatting in work boots without the shoes tied tightly.  The guy ended up wtih a broken tibia as a result of stepping on the shoe lace and falling flat on his ass. 

If you re-read my post, you'll see that I recommend Oly Weightlifting shoes.

But I agree very much on the point you're making about athletic shoes being too soft.

Thing is, I personally think Chuck T's are too soft as well, in comparison with either weightlifting shoes (heeled soles) or wrestling shoes (flat soles).

So I'd recommend either one of those two for squatting, depending if you want a flat or a slightly "tilted" shoe.

JMO though.

As far as deadlifting, there are deadlifting slippers who have even thinner soles than Chuck T's, and it doesn't make sense to me to give away even the slightest bit of inch when pulling - get as close to the ground as possible.

I've seen some US sumo lifters use front heels, or rather, use modified Chuck T's where they've trimmed down the back of the sole, I think both Priscilla R and Wade uses this. Seems pretty interesting, have to try it out.

As empty as paradise

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #144 on: October 10, 2007, 03:59:05 AM »
Ive thought of jackin' the front for just that purpose Hedge.

Just getting rid of the heel on a pair of sturdy boots helps there.
Hacks are about all I can do anymore, and a heel there kills my back. And,I just dont feel right in tennis shoes.

As far as SOLID goes. If anyone knows of footwear w/ a more solid sole, and rugged sides compared
to Red Wing high-top work boots, I want to hear.
They are nearly indestructible.

If you want a boot w/ a heel that is ultra  support. Them's it. I dont lace all the way, wrap around ankle.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #145 on: October 11, 2007, 05:00:06 AM »
I'm gonna post my chest workouts in here because I am already starting to lose track of the numbers, and I know that I'll never keep a journal or notebook.  Plus, I appreciate any feedback. 

This is the fourth week, back to a HEAVY week....
Week 1 Heavy (145 pounds, 185 negs)
Week 2 Light (125 pounds)
Week 3 Moderate (135 pounds)

Last Night, Heavy workout #1

145 x 5
155 x 5
155 x 5
160 x 5, struggled on the 4th and failed on the 5th

Negatives - 2 sets of 3 with 215 pounds.

And some side and rear delt work.

The spotting situation last night was dreadful and definitely affected my confidence.  Slim pickins!! 
I had to get this girl who weighs about 110 pounds to spot me on my heavy sets last night.  My arms are too short to lift off and re-rack the weight.  I told her what to do, but she totally spaced on the first set and when I went to re-rack the weight, I totally missed and she was just standing there staring at me. 
I got a guy to help me with the negatives, after I explained to him what a negative is.   ::)
Negatives were "OK" but could have been better with a better spotter.
I had never put 215 on the bar before, and I was surprised how HEAVY it felt.  I wrapped my wrists for the first time, but not tight enough.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #146 on: October 11, 2007, 05:05:30 AM »
Wrap wrists starting up high, right up across the meaty palm under the thumb.
It makes a bid differance. It locks that hand so it CANT roll back.
Make that hand and wrist feel like its splinted w/ a board!

I take it you were wearin your shirt for the 215?

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #147 on: October 11, 2007, 05:15:46 AM »
Wrap wrists starting up high, right up across the meaty palm under the thumb.
It makes a bid differance. It locks that hand so it CANT roll back.
Make that hand and wrist feel like its splinted w/ a board!

I take it you were wearin your shirt for the 215?

Yeah, that's the problem with the wrists, they want to roll back esp with the heavy weight on them. 
First time ever using wraps...I guess I need to try to get the wraps "bench shirt tight."   :P

No shirt yet, just doing negs with 215 and it felt really really heavy!
I am hoping to give the shirt a go in workout #2 next week.   8)

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #148 on: October 11, 2007, 06:33:23 AM »
Shit, you might press it if you can get enough velocity off the chest....

Go right over the bottom of meaty bottom of palm when you start wrapping (right where a Martial arts palm strike is delivered from). Tourniquet tight.

Follow around the back of the hand high there also. Then - IT WILL NOT be able to roll back, you'll bust the
forearm instead.  ;D  ;)
Finish up around the wrist.Dont just wrap the wrist, it can roll.Hit the palm also.

So it goes, modifying machinery or our bodies...

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #149 on: October 11, 2007, 11:38:14 AM »
Shit, you might press it if you can get enough velocity off the chest....

Go right over the bottom of meaty bottom of palm when you start wrapping (right where a Martial arts palm strike is delivered from). Tourniquet tight.

Follow around the back of the hand high there also. Then - IT WILL NOT be able to roll back, you'll bust the
forearm instead.  ;D  ;)
Finish up around the wrist.Dont just wrap the wrist, it can roll.Hit the palm also.

So it goes, modifying machinery or our bodies...

You must check with the rules of your bench contest before hand.  If you wrap that high, you might get disqualified.  I've done local bench contests where the wrist wraps could NOT touch the palm of the hand.  Generally the thumb loop must be removed too.