Author Topic: John Conner 765x6 DL  (Read 5676 times)

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
John Conner 765x6 DL
« on: August 21, 2009, 11:37:55 PM »
Looks like with a bit more energy he could get 8 or more.

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
Re: John Conner 765x6 DL
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 09:12:29 AM »
he should bring his feet in a little closer and bend his knee's some, that was all straight leg dlifts. Great strength, but clean up the form and he'll move more weight.
sept 10th APF

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 06:55:55 PM »
he's "butt strong"

bigjoered

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 01:01:31 PM »
I have to agree by lacking in going deep he limiting the power that his legs could give a boost to the power of his lift.  I do admire his top end strength very impressive.  Also it dose not look like he is breathing at all that should be of concern.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 06:23:49 AM »
The form he's using doesn't look perfect at first.

But I know of another very strong SHW who also use that wide stance and pulls a lot of weight.

The belly can get in the way for some of these guys, although my favorite regular stance deadlifter stands more narrow.

Brad Gillingham (Hook Grip FFS!!! :o)

and his 881(400!)

Brad's deadlift routine:
.com/gillingham.html+gillingham+deadlift+routine&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">http://74.125.77.132/search?q=cache:noFWdipwEzIJ:www.weighttrainersunited .com/gillingham.html+gillingham+deadlift+routine&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

On a slight side note: not saying I'm not agreeing with you guys about Conner's form, but these days I think the most important thing is that every lifter needs to find the position where they get the best leverage from.

Eg Lamar Gant. I've always thought that it was dumb that he didn't lift sumo. With his long arms and short pull there is no way knowing how much he could've pulled, right?
But perhaps he just couldn't get the leverage those first few inches, as ridiculous as it may sound.

As empty as paradise

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 12:47:33 PM »
The form he's using doesn't look perfect at first.

But I know of another very strong SHW who also use that wide stance and pulls a lot of weight.

The belly can get in the way for some of these guys, although my favorite regular stance deadlifter stands more narrow.

Brad Gillingham (Hook Grip FFS!!! :o)

and his 881(400!)

Brad's deadlift routine:
.com/gillingham.html+gillingham+deadlift+routine&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">http://74.125.77.132/search?q=cache:noFWdipwEzIJ:www.weighttrainersunited .com/gillingham.html+gillingham+deadlift+routine&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

On a slight side note: not saying I'm not agreeing with you guys about Conner's form, but these days I think the most important thing is that every lifter needs to find the position where they get the best leverage from.

Eg Lamar Gant. I've always thought that it was dumb that he didn't lift sumo. With his long arms and short pull there is no way knowing how much he could've pulled, right?
But perhaps he just couldn't get the leverage those first few inches, as ridiculous as it may sound.

Good comment Hedge. I have been told that there are three things that will fail you on a lift. Technique, strength or fatigue will catch you. Ideally you want the strength to be the limiting factor, as it is arguably the easiest to improve. Whether anyone else agrees or not I don't know

The link to Brad's routine didn't work for me  :(

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 12:32:24 AM »
.com/gillingham.html+gillingham+deadlift+routine&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">http://74.125.77.132/search?q=cache:noFWdipwEzIJ:www.weighttrainersunited .com/gillingham.html+gillingham+deadlift+routine&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk

Trying it again. The original website was dead. maybe I should just copy and paste it here:

This is a routine that was published in a past issue of PL USA. It has been reprinted with expressed permission from Brad Gillingham.  It is a hybrid type routine combining periodization with some WSB.  You deadlift every other week from the floor.  For those that find power cleans tough on the wrists or want to focus on the power portion of the lift without the technique of the clean, hi-pulls could be substituted.
This routine is set up for a 500 lb. deadlifter but can be adjusted to accommodate anyone’s max. Simply divide your max by 500 lbs. and then multiply all the recommended poundages in the routine by that multiple.

Brad Gillingham Deadlift Routine

I am a conventional deadlifter who uses a very narrow foot placement.  This seems to be most effective due to my body size and build.  The foundation I built early in my powerlifting training was done by doing multiple sets of high reps (5-10) training the deadlift from the floor along with power rack lockouts from various pin placements.  In 24 months, I have gone almost completely away from training the deadlift from the floor.  Instead, I have incorporated a lot of the Louie Simmons Westside Barbell exercises (Behind the back deadlifts, Zercher squats, Reverse Hypers) into my workout together with power rack lockouts as an alternative to the full movements.  I have increased my deadlift almost 100 pounds during this 24 month period utilizing these alternative training movements.  My current training schedule includes the following:  bench on Mondays, deadlift on Wednesday, and squat on Fridays.  I do power rack bench lockouts immediately after doing my full bench sets.  I replace the full movements with power rack movements every other week on the squat and deadlift workouts.  For example, if I have power rack deadlift pulls scheduled for Wednesday, I then full squat on Friday.  The next week I schedule behind the back deadlifts on Wednesday and do power rack squats on Friday.  On the power rack deadlift workout, I begin with power cleans.  I have noticed that this has really increased my explosion.  I have added zercher squats on Fridays.  As a rule, I generally go heavier on the nights that I power rack squat (2 sets of 6-10 reps), and lighter with high reps on the full squat workout.  I do 3 sets of 10-20 reps of reverse hypers following each workout.

The workout I am going to describe is set up for a beginning to intermediate lifter with an assumed 500 pound max deadlift.  The lifter should expect a 20-30 pound increase after completing the entire cycle.  This workout will include two phases which will incorporate deadlifting from the floor, power cleans for explosion, and power rack lockouts.  This workout assumes the lifter does an adequate warm up with lighter weight before performing work sets.  The heavy power rack deadlift movements will build a lot of back, glute and hand strength; the hand strength being the most important in the deadlift.  If you can’t hold on to it, you can’t pick it up.  On each power rack notch, warm up to a max single using larger jumps with the light weights and smaller increases when approaching your max. The lifter should keep a working record of what his/her max is at each notch.  Attempt to hit this max each time you train.  You should only increase this max in small increments when capable so that you do not burn out.  Do not use lifting straps.

To reach your maximum potential “drug free” I would suggest incorporating a total system of training built around heavy power rack movement for all three of the lifts as described above.  This may be something to experiment with in the off-season.

Phase 1 – conditioning and developing base strength
Weeks 1-4:  Power cleans – 2 sets 5 reps, Deadlift from floor – 2 sets of 10 reps at 65%, Power rack lockouts above knee, Shrugs – 3 sets 10 reps, Bent Rows – 3 sets 10 reps, Seated rows and/or lat pulldowns – 3 sets 10 reps.

Phase 2 – Peak strength development phase
Weeks 1-3-5-7-9:  Power cleans – 2 sets 5 reps, Power rack lockouts – 2 notches (above knee – below knee), Shrugs – 3 sets 10 reps, Bent Rows – 3 sets 10 reps, Seated Rows and/or lat pulldowns – 3 sets 10 reps.

Week 2:  (assistance work should remain the same for weeks 2-4-6-8-10).  Deadlift from floor – 2 sets 5 reps at 75%, Bent Rows – 3 sets 10 reps, Seated rows and/or lat pulldowns – 3 sets 10 reps.

Week 4:  Deadlift from floor – 2 sets 5 reps at 80%.

Week 6:  Deadlift from floor – 2 sets 5 reps at 85%.

Week 8:  Deadlift from floor – 2 sets 3 reps at 90%.

Week 10:  (10 days from meet)Deadlift from floor – 2 sets 3 reps at 95%.

Meet Day:  warmup, opener 485, 2nd attempt 510, 3rd attempt 520-530.

As empty as paradise

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 12:41:53 AM »
My own comment to Brad G's article (like I would have something important to add on what one of the best DL'ers in the thinks about the lift ::)):

The Russians train variations of the deadlift, but never really maxing out. And they do a lot of rack deadlifts, where they use percentage of their normal deadlift, not their rack 1RM.

Ie, they're not throwing around monster weights in the gym. But the total weight lifted during one workout is usually higher.
As empty as paradise

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 03:25:31 PM »
My own comment to Brad G's article (like I would have something important to add on what one of the best DL'ers in the thinks about the lift ::)):

The Russians train variations of the deadlift, but never really maxing out. And they do a lot of rack deadlifts, where they use percentage of their normal deadlift, not their rack 1RM.

Ie, they're not throwing around monster weights in the gym. But the total weight lifted during one workout is usually higher.

I found my deadlift was best when I did this. A lot of singles a good bit less than my 1rm. When I was 19 and 100kg my working set was singles with 220kg unbelted. When I competed I stuck on a belt and pulled 240, 260, 273, 280. What you were saying about the Russian variation definitely sounds like it could work for people!