Author Topic: Square Root training  (Read 2581 times)

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Square Root training
« on: August 03, 2020, 12:08:01 PM »
Square Root..(a number multiplied by it's self)  A few of the better know and result proving SR training systems. Actually you can makeup  any combo of SR train protocols you like. 6x6 is also popular with me...just saying.

3x3 (9 reps) Basic power compound movements. Mostly applied to Olympic or PL's focus training. Though general BB'ing might take advantage of this type training for short workout cycles. (3-4 weeks)  Wouldn't get a pump, but will become much stronger. to handle heavier future workout loads. Usually focus can be on the quick lifts (cleans, snatch, clean & jerk, squat clean,etc). Though works quite well with DL's, benches and squats. Lot of rest time between sets...don't want to rush through this type of heavy concentrated  training.

5x5  (25 reps)   Some credit Bill Star for making this popular. Respect to Bill Star but this system has been around before Mr.Star. This system can best be described as when the goals of strength and increased muscle mass meet. Football and rugby players do very well on this, when approached with serious intent. As do most other sports athletes. 3-4 minutes plus  between sets..usually.

8x8  (64 reps)   As best as I can find out, Vince Gironda was among the first to establish this pure BB'ing  system in the early 1950's. The 1950's was a great period for pioneering newer BB'ing training. A very fast pace, usually with perhaps 45 to 60 seconds between sets. The same for between exercises. These are also high volume workouts.

10x10  (100)   Call GVT (German Volume Training). You will use the same amount of weight all through to complete the 100 reps. It's to your advantage to start with a much lighter weight than normal. If doing 8 reps using 230 (not overly demanding) for a normal bench workout, than adjust back to starting with around 160 and see how that is handled for the total 100 reps. GVT, for a lot of guys, is an excellent training scheme for increase size and power.  It does require a certain lever of mental discipline, a lot of guys just don't want to stay in the same spot and do an exercise for the total of 100 reps.  (Vince Gironda also supported this type of training)

With most any training system that's new, there will be a breaking in period of a week or two and watching how your body will advance with it. If giving it a fair breaking in shot and finding that it's just not for you, than by all means drop it. Too many guy's remain in the same training rut, muscle size and strength levels never changing much for all for the effort and time invested in a dead end training system.... for them anyway.   

Good Luck.
F

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
Re: Square Root training
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 02:10:26 PM »
Translated for Getbiggers...

6+6+6+6+6+6 = 36

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 08:55:49 AM »
Nothing escapes IroNat, absolutely nothing.
F

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 08:21:53 AM »
I did 5x5 when I was powerlifting in my 20's.  I've also done GVT 10x10 and the 8x8.  It is difficult to get through these workouts but the pumps are incredible for the 8's and 10's.