Author Topic: the band Tool SUCKS!  (Read 11818 times)

scooter

• Getbig III
  • the fvckin priest deserved to die
Re: the band Tool SUCKS!
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2007, 09:25:17 PM »
yes tool is a great example of todays lousy music

E

tool dosent sound like anything else around. who do you consider a great band??

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2007, 09:37:25 PM »
1: Not playing 4/4 does not make them technically proficient. Thousands of bands play those kinds of time signatures.

2: No member of Tool can show any unique technical ability on their instrument, neither in speed or accuracy.

3: Most of their songs are boring minor based without any kind of melodically innovation. The guitarist play a few boring arpeggios here and there, with no strong sense of melody. Their songs are based on boring studio overdubbs.

If you base your technical argument on some stupid time signature analysis, you should know that technical proficiency also includes speed, accuracy and being able to use innovative melodical concepts. Most of Tools music are diatonic 3 chord stuff with some vocal layers here and there. Thus, you can not claim that Tool has any great knowledge of music composition. Theoretically, their music is not much more advanced than most stupid rockbands if we take the time signature element out of the equation.

Most 16 year olds can play most of Tools music.

In other words, if you are going to argument for Tools music, you better learn more music theory than being able to tell what time signatures a Tool song is based on.

The drummer and bass player knows their shit, but they are nothing spectacular, nor are Tools songwriting. If you like them, fine, but they are nothing spectacular in a technical sense.

:)

You may not like Tool but your comments are just plain dumb.

scooter

• Getbig III
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2007, 09:41:29 PM »

I agree 100% although a few other bands can play that they dont. sure there are 16y olds that can play that but there are also 16y olds that can play hendrix or dimebag but they are great muscians.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2007, 09:42:45 PM »

not much of anything today

sounding different isn't always good

my favorites are:

Nine Inch Nails
Van Halen
Fulblown

E
E

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2007, 09:46:47 PM »

my favorites are:

Nine Inch Nails
Van Halen
Fulblown

E

Roth is back with Halen for a new tour. 20 years too late if you ask me.

scooter

• Getbig III
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2007, 09:57:14 PM »

yea i just heard that today

Thunderfck1

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2007, 10:20:32 PM »

my favorites are:

Nine Inch Nails
Van Halen
Fulblown

E
LOL Fulblown is way better than Tool. There's nothing like Kevin Levrone doing Creed covers.

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2007, 02:08:00 AM »
Tool are great!  ;D
It hasn't helped...

Debussey

• Getbig IV
  • The shadow braggs about hitting women
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2007, 03:02:40 AM »

No, they are very accurate. In a technical sense, Tool is nothing special. They might be "advanced" rythmically compared to contemporary rockbands like Radiohead, but in the world if music they are nothing. Nothing in the complexity of their music or the performance of it suggests so.

This is a "technically advanced rock/prog band" as our little friend "Scooter" puts it:

This is just impressive, age taken into concideration:

This 12 year old boy puts Tools drummer to shame:

When the hell did this happen?

Ps: You are so cute on your avatar!! :-* WANNA PARTY?
Support DEBUSSEYWORLD!

Debussey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2007, 03:04:15 AM »

Ps: Most of your "insight" can be found on the first 20 pages of this book: (This is used to teach 10 year olds)

http://www.amazon.com/Basic-Guide-How-Read-Music/dp/0399511229/sr=8-4/qid=1170414222/ref=pd_bbs_4/102-7087475-6168155?ie=UTF8&s=books

;D

Support DEBUSSEYWORLD!

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2007, 06:16:29 AM »
They are no Liquid Tension Experiment.

Ahhhh you are no fool Debussey..... LTE hummmmm? impressive
X

Bigger Business

• Getbig V
  • FKN Gym Wear
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2007, 06:17:56 AM »
TOOL are the greatest band on the fucking planet

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2007, 06:19:38 AM »
A Perfect Circle is cool too, slightly watered down version of Tool though
It hasn't helped...

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Honey Badger cuz he don't Care.
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2007, 08:57:26 AM »
If Tool sucks, then there is hardly a band out there that doesn't.

Try some of these:

Tomahawk
Fantomas
Dillenger Escape Plan
Deftones
Naked City
The Boredoms
Sleepy Time Gorilla Museum
The Secret Chiefs
Kaada
Zorn's Moonchild
Estradasphere

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2007, 09:41:05 AM »
I couldn't disagree more. This is the opinion most people hold about Tool due to their lack of knowledge on the subject of musical composition. Here's an time signature transcription/analysis their song Schism

The song starts in 5/4 for one measure followed by 21 measures of 6/4 (or 5/8 and 7/8 alternating), up to the first interlude, which is a bar of 3/8, three bars of 13/8, and a bar of 10/8. (This can be also interpreted as four 13/8 bars, but played with a 3/8 upbeat.) The next verse is eight bars all in 6/4 followed by another interlude that fits the same pattern as the first. This brings us to the "The poetry that comes..." section, which is four bars of 6/4 followed by one bar of 11/8. Another eight-bar verse in 6/4 follows, with an interlude containing the same as before, except this time the final 10/8 bar is replaced with an 11/8 bar setting up the middle section, which is four bars of 7/4 before settling into a pattern of alternating 12/8 and 15/8, one bar each, twelve times, containing the "Cold silence..." lyrics. At this point, at the end of the word "compassion", there are three bars of 4/4 (which nearly sounds foreign at this point), a bar of 2/4, and four bars of 4/4 setting up the "Between supposed lovers" section, which is two bars of 9/8 followed by a bar of 10/8, that pattern again, a single bar of 9/8 followed by a 13/8 bar. This leads to an alternating set of 9/8 and 5/8, appearing four times before a bar of 9/8 and a bar of 6/8. The ending "I know the pieces fit" lyrics bring back the 6/4 meter for eight bars, followed by eight bars of 4/4 to end the song.

Most bands use straight 4/4 with a mix of 3/4 thrown in here and there. One could argue that 6/8 is used a bit but it's almost always 4/4 with 8th note triplets being played (which can sometimes give the effect of a hemiola). And if you knew much about the process of recording that Tool uses then you would know that Jones and Chancellor compose the songs then Carey puts down the percussion followed by Keenan's lyrics. There are NO OTHER mainstream bands of any genre that compose songs as complex as Tool. Not that you have to like them because of that but to say that they are not technical is an assinine statement.

;) ;)

Yeah, not one part of this matters.  technicality means nothing, which is why you can go on youtube or anywhere and see thousands of guys "shred" on their guitars, basses or drums.  The bands that make it have incredible pop sensibilities (not a bad thing, pop means listenable, not the same as "bubblegum pop") and even better senses of melody.  TOOL is a band that is comprised of very good musicians, but they are not on the level of many bands out there.  They are decent at best.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2007, 09:50:24 AM »
And to say that u2 rocks harder than tool is a completly retarded statement. Tool is in a league of their own IMO, another band like that is NIN they are also in a league of their own. There is no one around now that is as good as them.

I've seen Tool live, and i've seen U2 live.  There's no comparison.  What you mistake as "rocking" is that Tool will often play faster and with more distortion, that does not equal "rock."  A rythm beaten into the ground by 4 guys who create 1 HUGE sound is rocking, and thats why when Rolling Stone in 2004 and Spin Magazine in 2006 listed U2 as the #1 live band in the world and Tool was down near number 15 or 16.

There is a reason that U2 is still the biggest band in the world 26 years into their careers and Tool are still exactly where they were 5 years ago.  What U2 do from 4:50 on in this song (and the entire song for that matter) is something that Tool could never hope of doing:

scooter

• Getbig III
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2007, 10:25:14 AM »
dude u2 fucking sucks. I am sorry to disagree with you. They are just one of those bands that I hate. No real reason they are decent musicians but I hate them.

Dream theatre is a great band I wont disagree with that. I am not a huge fan of their music but they are all great at what they do. I like harder faster music, so of course I am going to like tool. Like I said before there are people out there that can play tool, and there are people that I know that can play Dream theatre aswell, does that make them less talented? No it dosent.

scooter

• Getbig III
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2007, 10:38:10 AM »
here are some eamples of what I like

Emperor

Dimmu Borgir

&mode=related&search=
Cradle Of Filth

one of my favorite songs
Cannibal Corpse

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2007, 10:58:28 AM »

Emperor

Dimmu Borgir

&mode=related&search=
Cradle Of Filth

one of my favorite songs
Cannibal Corpse

you have horrible taste.  As someone in the music industry (i get paid to perform and i have been around LA rock scene), i can honestly say you have horrible taste.  But thats just my opinion, which ultimately means nothing.  I wouldn't tell you to stop listening to what you like just as what you wouldn't tell me to stop listening to what i like.  But wow, those bands really suck... IMO ;)

Debussey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2007, 03:08:10 PM »

Ahhhh you are no fool Debussey..... LTE hummmmm? impressive

Jordan Rudess is a fucking genius. He clearly gave Dream Theater a big boost. You clearly have a great taste in music dear Lord. You are Debussey approved. :)

Liquid Tension Experiment is great, and if you are in for a challenge on your instrument, try to play a few of their tunes.

Neither Tool, LTE or Dream Theater is "impossible" for most musicians that take their playing seriously. Debussey actually played the Tool song 46 and 2 on the bass at 16 years old (brutal coverband with sunglasses. Good good memories.  :) ) (but bass guitar is not Debusseys instrument), and with the power of Gary Busey, some Liquid Tension Experiment tunes has also come into Debusseys fingers on a certain string instrument.

This was of course not done with pure practice. Gary Busey gets all ze credit.

But trust Debussey, Tool is nothing special when it comes to the technical, nor the compositional side.

For those of you that like Tool, good for you, Debussey understands that their songs might have appeal to many, but do not make them into something they are not.

Support DEBUSSEYWORLD!

Debussey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2007, 03:15:48 PM »

Emperor

Dimmu Borgir

&mode=related&search=
Cradle Of Filth

one of my favorite songs
Cannibal Corpse

Dimmu Borgir is kinda cool.  :)
Support DEBUSSEYWORLD!

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2007, 06:15:28 PM »
No, they are very accurate. In a technical sense, Tool is nothing special. They might be "advanced" rythmically compared to contemporary rockbands like Radiohead, but in the world if music they are nothing. Nothing in the complexity of their music or the performance of it suggests so.

This is a "technically advanced rock/prog band" as our little friend "Scooter" puts it:

This is just impressive, age taken into concideration:

This 12 year old boy puts Tools drummer to shame:

When the hell did this happen?

Ps: You are so cute on your avatar!! :-* WANNA PARTY?

I knew you were gonna put up some Dream Theater. I saw them a few times but i can't stand James Lebre, his stage presence is gay at best. Everybody else in that band is awsome though.

Roth and Halen just signed a deal to play some shows this summer but it has "money grabber" all over it. I would have loved to have seen them 20 years ago when they were at their peek.

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2007, 08:14:10 PM »
Jordan Rudess is a fucking genius. He clearly gave Dream Theater a big boost. You clearly have a great taste in music dear Lord. You are Debussey approved. :)

Liquid Tension Experiment is great, and if you are in for a challenge on your instrument, try to play a few of their tunes.

Neither Tool, LTE or Dream Theater is "impossible" for most musicians that take their playing seriously. Debussey actually played the Tool song 46 and 2 on the bass at 16 years old (brutal coverband with sunglasses. Good good memories.  :) ) (but bass guitar is not Debusseys instrument), and with the power of Gary Busey, some Liquid Tension Experiment tunes has also come into Debusseys fingers on a certain string instrument.

This was of course not done with pure practice. Gary Busey gets all ze credit.

But trust Debussey, Tool is nothing special when it comes to the technical, nor the compositional side.

For those of you that like Tool, good for you, Debussey understands that their songs might have appeal to many, but do not make them into something they are not.

I met Jordan on 2 occations, hes a cool cat and a real gent. He took the time to answer a bunch of my questions. There are several DT songs I can play but most are from Kevin moore, Pull me under, Wait for Sleep, Metrop pt 1. I have managed the Octovarium Moog solo from JR but most of him is beyond the Humungous's skills on the keys.
X

scooter

• Getbig III
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2007, 10:27:05 PM »

you have horrible taste.  As someone in the music industry (i get paid to perform and i have been around LA rock scene), i can honestly say you have horrible taste.  But thats just my opinion, which ultimately means nothing.  I wouldn't tell you to stop listening to what you like just as what you wouldn't tell me to stop listening to what i like.  But wow, those bands really suck... IMO ;)

I can understand you not liking them. but I love them they are really good at what they do. alot of people dont like them no biggie to me but I love death metal

RonsterM

• Getbig I
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2007, 11:47:22 PM »
I'm a 48 year old teacher coach that really enjoys listening to Tool! I do wish the vocals were a bit stronger. I've heard they are awsome live.

I've seen every line-up VH has toured with and will probably go see them this time around. Rumor has it that Woolfie is playing base because Micheal Anthony would rather party with Sammy. Check out ClassicVH for tour info.