Author Topic: From Darwin’s Descent of Man  (Read 23311 times)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Re: From Darwin’s Descent of Man
« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2008, 02:53:58 PM »
Yes, I am Loco.  That's where the Lutheran part of Protestant comes in. To answer your earlier question, I never call myself Lutheran. Just Protestant, unless some additional qualification is needed, like here, in which case I use the awkward Lutheran Protestant.  :)

I appreciate what you've posted above, and there are many people who believe that Darwinism influenced Hitler.

But I still say there is far more to it than that.  Take a look at a Leni Riefenstahl film clip on youtube and you'll better see what Hitler's vision was.  The whole "we are the sun-god people" theme comes across in an almost otherworldly manner. She captured it perfectly with lighting and camera angles. Even though he was a failed artist, Hitler did have a creative imagination, (evident in over the top architecture, uniforms, pomp and PR, etc)  and he and his inner circle worshiped runes, met secretly to engage in mystical religious rituals... the whole nazi thing was imbued with magical symbolism, (the hackenkreuz),  ancient mythology (the valkyries), etc.  There was much more to his (eventual) demented vision than your simple, "we arouse out of the goo together but our people have emerged superior" ideal. He truly believed that the Germanic people were just short of godlike.  :-\ 

I'll post a few Hitler myth links for you when it's less busy... and I'll leave it up to you if you want to read them or not. (For instance, Hitler believed in superior/inferior bloodlines. Bloodlines are biblical/religious, not evolutionist.  There's much more, if you're interested.)

I'm still not sure why promoting Hitler as having been influenced by Darwin is important to your thread.  It doesn't change the measure of the theory of evolution at all. 

Also, were you aware that Darwin was Christian himself and had a hard time reconciling his science with his faith?

I am not promoting Hitler as having been influenced by Darwin. That is not important to me.  That is not what this thread is about.   I said Read/Discuss Darwin’s Descent of Man, and that's what we are doing. 

I actually did not intend for this thread to turn into a Hitler thread, as if Hitler was the only one Darwin inspired.  Darwin also inspired biologists to promote the eugenic movement, which led to the sterilization of tens of thousands of Americans against their will, many of whom would not be considered mentally handicapped today.

Deedee, regardless of my intentions, what's the problem?  We are having a discussion.  People here are free to discuss the Crusades, the Spanish Inquisition, Luther on the Jews, Darwin, Hitler, Mao, Lenin, The Holocaust, The Red Terror, the Great Leap Forward, etc.  Are you saying that I should not have created this thread and that we should not have discussed this topic?  I think we all are learning from this thread. 

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2008, 03:20:17 PM »
Why do you think I have a problem? You're right, it's a discussion and you have lots of posts on your thread. Look down the board. Yours has among the top three in terms of response. Isn't that the intention? Do you only want opinions that concur with yours? That's okay too... but won't make for much of an interesting thread.

Should I take this moment to remind you that the eugenics program in the US was embraced by many Christian organizations?  :) It's never the idea that matters so much as the way society interprets it. But perhaps tis best not to go there.

I also posted something earlier regarding modern day people cherry picking their children's genes, and wondered whether it was all that different than what was espoused at the turn of the 20th century.

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2008, 03:23:00 PM »
Hi Deedles! :)    What is your definition of a Christian?  I ask this because some people don't agree on what "Christian" means.

Interesting thread!

Hi STells!  :) That's a tough one to answer off the cuff, but I'm pretty sure my definition is a lot more lax than most of the people on here,  :D  and centers more on basic Christian values rather than literally interpreting the scriptures.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2008, 03:30:37 PM »
Why do you think I have a problem? You're right, it's a discussion and you have lots of posts on your thread. Look down the board. Yours has among the top three in terms of response. Isn't that the intention? Do you only want opinions that concur with yours? That's okay too... but won't make for much of an interesting thread.

Should I take this moment to remind you that the eugenics program in the US was embraced by many Christian organizations?  :) It's never the idea that matters so much as the way society interprets it. But perhaps tis best not to go there.

I also posted something earlier regarding modern day people cherry picking their children's genes, and wondered whether it was all that different than what was espoused at the turn of the 20th century.

You keep focusing on my intentions and drawing your own conclusions about it, as if that was relevant to this discussion.  No, lots of posts on my thread is not the intention either.  And no, I do not only want opinions that concur with mine.  I actually expected more than one person to deny Darwin's influence on Hitler, but I was surprised that not one person denied it, not on this board anyway.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2008, 03:35:00 PM »
You keep focusing on my intentions and drawing your own conclusions about it, as if that was relevant to this discussion.  No, lots of posts on my thread is not the intention either.  And no, I do not only want opinions that concur with mine.  I actually expected more than one person to deny Darwin's influence on Hitler, but I was surprised that not one person denied it, not on this board anyway.

Do you really think it was influence or just convenient ammo for propaganda suitable for their goals?

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2008, 03:38:57 PM »
Not your intention loco, the intention of a message board in general, is to evoke discourse.

I'm not following again. There were posts denying Darwin's influence besides mine. But I think it's time for me to let it go, because you seem to be getting defensive.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2008, 04:26:53 PM »
Not your intention loco, the intention of a message board in general, is to evoke discourse.

I'm not following again. There were posts denying Darwin's influence besides mine. But I think it's time for me to let it go, because you seem to be getting defensive.

You denied Darwin's influence on Hitler?  When?  I don't consider these a denial

Um... that's not what we're talking about. Hitler was inspired by the religious Luther just as much as he was by the evolutionist Darwin. He twisted their words to suit his agenda. That's the point. And there were others as well.

Hitler was inspired by a number of things. His failure as an artist, his sado-sexual weirdnesses, and as Trapezecurl mentioned, centuries of European anti-semitism.  He was inspired by the theory of evolution, as well as the words of religious thinkers and anti-semitic composers.

I'm not getting defensive.  I'm sorry I gave you that idea!  But I appreciate that you care if I get defensive, since you don't have to.    ;D

Deedee, please don't stop posting, debating me and refuting me on this or any thread!    ;D

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2008, 05:48:52 AM »
Do you really think it was influence or just convenient ammo for propaganda suitable for their goals?

Hitler was obsessed with killing Jews to his last day.  He killed not only Jews, but also cripples, mental patients, people with physical and mental retardation, all regardless of race.  He was convinced that "the weak kind" must not survive.  "Even in his own defeat in April 1945, Hitler expressed his faith in the survival of the stronger and declared the Slavic peoples to have proven themselves the stronger."[1]  Hitler believed in this so much that some say that if he had not waisted so much money and resources on this, he could have won the war.

1. Peter Hoffman, Hitler's Personal Security (Oxford, UK: Pergamon Press, 1979), p. 264.

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2008, 05:52:33 AM »
loco, if only you'd put down the creationist pamphlets for a minute and try and learn real science, you'd see what a fool you're making of yourself...

But that's the ten millionth time I've told you this. ::)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2008, 05:54:51 AM »
loco, if only you'd put down the creationist pamphlets for a minute and try and learn real science, you'd see what a fool you're making of yourself...

But that's the ten millionth time I've told you this. ::)

Please, name the creationist pamphlets I, according to you, have read or posted on this thread.

How am I making a fool of myself again?

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2008, 06:06:22 AM »
By displaying astonishing ignorance of evolution and natural selection with all this "Hitler" talk about "weeding out the weak."

Of course, your purpose there is not to discuss science, but merely guilt by association: associating the central idea of modern biology with Hitler's crimes makes it easier for you to dismiss the former :)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2008, 06:12:30 AM »
By displaying astonishing ignorance of evolution and natural selection with all this "Hitler" talk about "weeding out the weak."

Of course, your purpose there is not to discuss science, but merely guilt by association: associating the central idea of modern biology with Hitler's crimes makes it easier for you to dismiss the former :)

If you want to jump to those conclusions, go right ahead.  You don't have to be so paranoid and touchy about this.  Many people are unaware of these facts.  Must we suppress them?

As for guilt by association, you've posted plenty of that yourself.  I simply debated you, discussed why I disagreed with you, but I never called you a fool, questioned your education or insulted you in any way.

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2008, 06:22:07 AM »
Please present examples of my "guilt by association" posts.

Also, I never called you a fool. I question your education about certain aspects of science when you post blatant falsehoods. My intent is certainly not to insult or offend.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2008, 06:23:55 AM »

Also, I never called you a fool. I question your education about certain aspects of science when you post blatant falsehoods. My intent is certainly not to insult or offend.

Quote me on my "blatant falsehood" in this thread.

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2008, 06:35:51 AM »
Hey columbusdude82!  I understand the comparison that you are trying to draw here with the the Crusades, but there is a difference.  The Crusades are not consistent with anything that Jesus ever said or taught.  By contrast, Hitler's actions, the holocaust, Nazism and the eugenic movement are all consistent with Darwin’s Descent of Man.

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2008, 06:37:29 AM »
Directly related to the conversation: The shifting moral Zeitgiest

See this loco, if you haven't already.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2008, 06:42:17 AM »
Hey columbusdude82!  I understand the comparison that you are trying to draw here with the the Crusades, but there is a difference.  The Crusades are not consistent with anything that Jesus ever said or taught.  By contrast, Hitler's actions, the holocaust, Nazism and the eugenic movement are all consistent with Darwin’s Descent of Man.

Thank you!  Now we can continue our discussion.  When I first posted this, you did not say that this was a "blatant falsehood" on my part, neither did you try to show me why.  Instead, you and Trapezkerl tried to show how The Crusdades are consistent with something that Jesus said in Luke 19:12-27.  Now, that's false, and I did tell you that, and I did show you why it's false.

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2008, 06:48:50 AM »
I am not promoting Hitler as having been influenced by Darwin. That is not important to me.  That is not what this thread is about.   I said Read/Discuss Darwin’s Descent of Man, and that's what we are doing. 

I actually did not intend for this thread to turn into a Hitler thread, as if Hitler was the only one Darwin inspired.  Darwin also inspired biologists to promote the eugenic movement, which led to the sterilization of tens of thousands of Americans against their will, many of whom would not be considered mentally handicapped today.

Deedee, regardless of my intentions, what's the problem?  We are having a discussion.  People here are free to discuss the Crusades, the Spanish Inquisition, Luther on the Jews, Darwin, Hitler, Mao, Lenin, The Holocaust, The Red Terror, the Great Leap Forward, etc.  Are you saying that I should not have created this thread and that we should not have discussed this topic?  I think we all are learning from this thread. 

If you knew what evolution by natural selection is (and I've tried to explain it numerous times), you wouldn't be saying stuff like this.

Notice the word "natural" in "natural selection." It doesn't say "artificial selection" or "selection by gas chambers."

And like I said many times before, any natural selection process can only operate on replicators: self-replicating entities with a high copying fidelity, and a low but persistent probability of copying error.

Humans are not self-replicators. You don't make a copy of yourself. Species aren't self-replicators. A species doesn't make a copy of itself either. "Races" and "nations" aren't self-replicators. No group or individual is a self-replicator. Thus, to speak of "natural selection" operating on any of these demonstrates one's ignorance of what natural selection is and how it works.

The replicator is the gene. Natural selection operates on genes. When a gene has two competing alleles, natural selection occurs when one allele makes its way into the bodies of those organisms who become ancestors, while the other allele does not.

Darwin looked at the brutality of animals in the wild, which penalizes the slightest weakness, and asked why this did not, as a rule, happen among homo sapiens. His problem was not knowing at what level natural selection operates, not a surprise given he didn't know what genes were.

There's your answer, Mr Darwin. Individual humans aren't replicators, so it makes no sense of to speak of "natural selection" weeding out or killing off anybody.

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2008, 06:50:30 AM »

Thank you!  Now we can continue our discussion.  When I first posted this, you did not say that this was a "blatant falsehood" on my part, neither did you try to show me why.  Instead, you and Trapezkerl tried to show how The Crusdades are consistent with something that Jesus said in Luke 19:12-27.  Now, that's false, and I did tell you that, and I did show you why it's false.

No I didn't. I didn't even bring up that verse. I was using the analogy of Jesus and the crusades to illustrate how you can't blame someone for something that happened long after their death, which they didn't ask for or promote. Just as Jesus didn't say "Go kill the Muslim bastards," Darwin didn't say "Throw the Jews in the ovens" either!

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2008, 07:15:12 AM »
No I didn't. I didn't even bring up that verse. I was using the analogy of Jesus and the crusades to illustrate how you can't blame someone for something that happened long after their death, which they didn't ask for or promote. Just as Jesus didn't say "Go kill the Muslim bastards," Darwin didn't say "Throw the Jews in the ovens" either!

Trapezkerl brought up the verse and you followed by saying that Jesus was speaking of himself in that verse, which is false.  It's not the first time you have done this, and the first time you did bring up the verse:

If he doesn't want anyone to perish, why does his "Son" (also himself) tell his followers to kill those who deny him, in Luke 19:27?

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2008, 07:17:06 AM »
That's tangential to the Darwin discussion, but I asked you who the character in the parable refers to?

In the prodigal son parable for example, the father refers to God, the prodigal son refers to the sinner who repents...

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2008, 07:25:01 AM »
That's tangential to the Darwin discussion, but I asked you who the character in the parable refers to?

In the prodigal son parable for example, the father refers to God, the prodigal son refers to the sinner who repents...

It does not follow that Jesus was referring to himself in Luke 19:27, and yours and Trapezkerl's point was that the Crusdades are consistent with what Jesus said in this verse, which is false.

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2008, 07:29:42 AM »
It does not follow that Jesus was referring to himself in Luke 19:27, and yours and Trapezkerl's point was that the Crusdades are consistent with what Jesus said in this verse, which is false.

No that is not my point. And I already did say that the Crusades are not consistent with Jesus. Or do you not remember?!

But still, who does the "master" character in the parable refer to? And why is he so angry?

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2008, 07:32:53 AM »

It was soon after you had read "The God Delusion" or "God is not Great" that you posted something along those lines.  I do admit that you have not done that in a while, as if your attitude has changed to an extent.  That I appreciate!  But it's not just you, and this thread is not directed at you in anyway.

"It is a law of nature that scientists must bring up the Crusades within five minutes of mention of religion."
H. Allen Orr, Gould on God, Can religion and science be happily reconciled?

Not saying that this justifies guilt by association from either side.  That's not my intention.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2008, 07:53:41 AM »
No that is not my point. And I already did say that the Crusades are not consistent with Jesus. Or do you not remember?!

But still, who does the "master" character in the parable refer to? And why is he so angry?

Herod Archelaus: http://www.livius.org/he-hg/herodians/herod_archelaus.htm

Read about him and you'll see why he was so angry.