Author Topic: slow and steady wins the race?  (Read 825 times)

cephissus

• Getbig V
slow and steady wins the race?
« on: October 08, 2015, 11:04:49 PM »
I was thinking today... many people make "gains" fast when they first set foot in the gym.  And most of them want to achieve their ideal physique as quickly as possible.  So, they go pedal to the metal and make great progress at first.  But soon, the noob gain period ends, and they're left wondering what happened.

At this point, they either:

A)  Burn out and quit
B)  Have a meltdown, realize they don't know it all, and begin to search for what really works, long term

Anyone agree?  Did you have a "B" moment at some point in your "lifting career"?  Or were things smooth sailing for you from the start?

I would say I've had several, actually -- at least 2-3. 

Sokolsky

• Getbig IV
  • Sensory receptors succumb
Re: slow and steady wins the race?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 11:23:35 PM »
I was thinking today... many people make "gains" fast when they first set foot in the gym.  And most of them want to achieve their ideal physique as quickly as possible.  So, they go pedal to the metal and make great progress at first.  But soon, the noob gain period ends, and they're left wondering what happened.

A)  Burn out and quit
B)  Have a meltdown, realize they don't know it all, and begin to search for what really works, long term
C)  Burn out, continue to destroy their bodies in pursuit of empty goals and a false sense of accomplishment, while looking like shit/lifting like shit.

Anyone agree?  Did you have a "B" moment at some point in your "lifting career"?  Or were things smooth sailing for you from the start?

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 02:11:17 AM »
It's called the law of diminishing returns. Only PEDs can extend those returns for a while.

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 02:50:17 AM »

A)  Burn out and quit

C) Have a nearly career-ending injury, and are forced to start from scratch again.

Overall I would say from personal observation that the people who have a big setbacks earlier in their training career seem to be more successful long term. The ones who have it easy the first years and then run into a wall are more often the ones who quit permanently.

The Wizard

• Getbig III
  • Old School is THE School
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 02:56:21 AM »

A)  Burn out and quit

Agreed - Be a bodybuilder for life not just for a 5-10 year "career" - Sad to look at the Dillets of this world in the 40's and 50's.

Go take a look at Benfatto (57yrs old), Robinson (68yrs old), Beckles (77-85yrs old), Pearson (59yrs old) and be inspired

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 08:17:07 AM »
Life long bodybuilding of peace... ::)

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 08:49:17 AM »

A)  Burn out and quit

If I had the internetz when I was in my 20s I think things would've been different, as we didn't have the wealth of knowledge we have now.

It took me some time to learn about structure, muscle insertions, shape, etc......never under stood why people looked better than me despite being half as strong.  Finally, I read an article about muscle shape, etc...and realized some shit was never going to change, so I changed focus.

All good now.  I train for events and to be strong and fast.....any aesthetic benefit, big or small, is just a side effect.  I could definitely make myself look better, but it's not the focus.
Y

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 08:56:15 AM »
Hi