Author Topic: Is A-Rod the greatest of all-time?  (Read 11164 times)

L.L

Re: Is A-Rod the greatest of all-time?
« Reply #100 on: November 17, 2011, 06:36:52 PM »
NO way in hell A ROD is even in the top 5 of all time..althoguh he has great number HE CHOKES during playoffs..hes been choking for more than 12 years..Great ones do not choke they rise to the ocassion..

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #101 on: November 17, 2011, 08:05:19 PM »
NO way in hell A ROD is even in the top 5 of all time..althoguh he has great number HE CHOKES during playoffs..hes been choking for more than 12 years..Great ones do not choke they rise to the ocassion..

MYTH.  And the "great ones" fail in the playoffs more often than you think.

His lack of postseason production is a myth, and media and fan generated.

In 16 postseason series, he's slugging .500 and has an OPS of .884.   In 2009 he had one of the best post seasons in the history of the game sporting the following lines (avg/obp/slg/ops)

ALDS:  .455/.500/1.000/1.500
ALCS:  .429/.567/.952 /1.519
WS     .250/.425 / .553 / .978

Included in those lines are 9th inning game tying and game winning homers of Nathan and Fuentes, and a huge HR of Hamels.

Arod brings plenty of heat on himself, and he's had a some crappy post season series (as have all players), but it's a myth that he can't/doesn't produce in the post season.
Y

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2011, 11:54:18 AM »
Probably the greatest talented hitter was Manny Ramirez  I had the chance to see him at a batting cage machine throwing 90+ and he would hit 25 straight to the left and then 25 straight to the right like if he was a machine himself...and ive seen a lot of baseball talent the past 25 plus years.

He was also notorious for setting up pitchers. One of the best two strike hitters ever. He would swing at a pitch and miss on purpose just to set the pitcher up. No fear at all of any pitcher. Awesome!

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #103 on: November 18, 2011, 11:58:14 AM »

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
« Reply #104 on: November 18, 2011, 12:04:09 PM »
Let me put it this way, in 1980 (50 years after Baby Ruth era) the average of pitchers throwing over 95+ was like one per each team...some teams didnt even have a pitcher in staff throwing over 90-92 mph ...(and thats 50 long years after Ruth)  today, you have like 5 pitchers on each rotation throwing 90 +...

And forget about velocity, Guys like Greg Maddux and Pedro Martinez would have had the time of their lives against Babe Ruth ,striking out the Bambino with a different pitch every single time...with the type of comand and repertory this guy had and to be taken out of the game around 8th inning  just so Baby Ruth could face a fresh new pitcher throwing over 90 mph ?  really??  Ruth would have been hitting 20 to 25 Hrs and sent home by age 30....

Well then the same could be said for Ted Williams. However it just doesn't pass the eye test. Ted Williams would have racked off any pitcher. He like Ruth were natural talents. There are many natural talents in the game today. AGON, Joey Votto to name a couple. Hell take a look at Ken Griffey Jr. at 19 years old. He had no problem hitting major league pitching. But there's no way a 19 year old Ken Griffey Jr. was more talented "hitting wise" than Ruth or Williams. The progression of the game of baseball isn't so far advance that yesteryears mega stars wouldn't be able to plug into today's system. Natural ability players would adapt no problem. Put Williams in a batting cage with the machine throwing 100 mph and he would be on top of the pitch within 20 minutes. And that's a fact!

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V

L.L

« Reply #106 on: November 18, 2011, 12:10:13 PM »
MYTH.  And the "great ones" fail in the playoffs more often than you think.

bullshit.

take a look at Mickey Mantle's, Di Maggio's  ,Ted Williams, Pujol's stats during world series and playoff.

The_Infidel

• Getbig III
  • Professor of Bro-Science
« Reply #107 on: November 18, 2011, 12:20:22 PM »
What do you mean by speed?
We had the best agilty.
We were the fastest.
We were incredible hitters.

These are facts.
Had we had a fair shake then we would have had players better than ol' drunk tubby.  It's not his Ruth's fault but his legend is exaggerated.
As we left the sport, so did the popularity.  Look it up.  There have even been meetings and news reports on how to get blacks back in Baseball...lol

What do you mean by "we"?  I never saw your black ass out there playing in the MLB.  lol
Come at me Bro!

seCrawler

• Getbig IV
« Reply #108 on: November 18, 2011, 12:29:36 PM »
mickey Mantle could have been the greatest ever, if not for his knee and major drinking problem.

they said he had the speed of a black player before his injury.

and forarms like lee priest

Where all the black and Latin players in the Negro Leagues during his day, or was he playing in an all white league like some of the so-called NBA greats?  Anyway, I doubt he was a better athlete than Ricky Henderson or Deion Sanders, definitely couldn't motor from Home - 1st with the likes of Deion in his prime.  I'm assuming he was the best among fat guys with his overall career numbers.   

Salvatore Martinez

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #109 on: November 18, 2011, 02:05:16 PM »
Where all the black and Latin players in the Negro Leagues during his day, or was he playing in an all white league like some of the so-called NBA greats?  Anyway, I doubt he was a better athlete than Ricky Henderson or Deion Sanders, definitely couldn't motor from Home - 1st with the likes of Deion in his prime.  I'm assuming he was the best among fat guys with his overall career numbers.   
fucking moron, to this day Mickey mantle has the fastest timed run from home plate to first base, speed is what he was known for at the beginning of his career, some of you have been so hypnotized by the Jew media feeding you the "superior black speed and athleticism" bullshit that you just automatically accept it as fact.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #110 on: November 18, 2011, 02:06:40 PM »
Isn't this supposed to be a football thread?

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2011, 03:42:52 PM »

bullshit.

take a look at Mickey Mantle's, Di Maggio's  ,Ted Williams, Pujol's stats during world series and playoff.

Glad you brought this up.  First of all, poor choice picking Williams to make your point.  Everyone who follows baseball knows he only got to the post season once, and stunk during it.  But, we can still have fun with numbers - I will show you his line OBP/SLG/OPS for that series:

.333/.200/.533 Putrid.  Especially when you compare it to his career average of an insanely good .482/.634/1.116    It's a great expample to show how baseball works - great players can stink in small samples, and poor players can appear to be heroes.  As the sample size increases, players gravitate towards their norms, which Williams most certainly would have.

DiMaggio was another poor choice, since he  posted a post season line of .338/.422/.760 w which are pretty much league average numbers and pale in comparison to his outstanding career norms of .398/.579/.977     It also include a horribles 2-18 performace in the 47 WS, as well as other poor WS.

Mantle fared better, with a very good .374/.535/.908.   His OPS is still 69 points under his career average of .977

Puljos has played in the most postseason series out of the others (15) and, his totals are pretty much the same as......his career totals.  See how it works as the sample increases?

ARod's postseason, again is .338/.496/.884 which includes the greatest three series performance in MLB hisotry.  The whole chokey thing is a MYTH.

Great players will have great series, and great players will have horrible series.  It's how baseball works.
Y

L.L

« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2011, 04:10:47 PM »
lol.@  you must be a Yankees fan...anyways A-ROD is the worst  player in history duirng playoffs...year after year after year he shows he cant perform under pressure....facts are out there...

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2011, 07:58:15 PM »
lol.@  you must be a Yankees fan...anyways A-ROD is the worst  player in history duirng playoffs...year after year after year he shows he cant perform under pressure....facts are out there...

You must either be trolling or just completely not comprehending what I'm showing you.  You're right  - the fact are out there - they're called statistics, and they show you're wrong.  Re-read my posts - it's all there - facts that are not arguable.  You were proven completely wrong about Williams, Dimaggio, and ARod.   You fell for the common perception, a perception that's easily refutable by looking at real data.

And, for the record, I am a Yankees fan, and I've always disliked Arod.  But numbers are numbers.
Y