Author Topic: Bloodwork and AAS  (Read 1195 times)

bf2002

• Getbig I
Bloodwork and AAS
« on: March 18, 2008, 03:53:42 AM »
While it's good to understand how to read my own blood-work, I know my doctor would be better trained to understand it and any risks/bad indicators on it I might miss.

I'm new to dealing with doctors and AAS. 

If I outright tell my doctor I have just come off an AAS cycle and took these tests to check on my health AFTER I've finished my cycle, are there any risks of him reporting this to police or insurance companies due to police or insurance company?

I'm already guessing since it goes in my file that it will find its way to the insurance company, so I don't plan on using my insurance or my regular doctor for my AAS lab testing.

I live in the USA.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
Re: Bloodwork and AAS
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 04:50:14 AM »
While it's good to understand how to read my own blood-work, I know my doctor would be better trained to understand it and any risks/bad indicators on it I might miss.

I'm new to dealing with doctors and AAS. 

If I outright tell my doctor I have just come off an AAS cycle and took these tests to check on my health AFTER I've finished my cycle, are there any risks of him reporting this to police or insurance companies due to police or insurance company?

I'm already guessing since it goes in my file that it will find its way to the insurance company, so I don't plan on using my insurance or my regular doctor for my AAS lab testing.

I live in the USA.

Problem is your doctor will very likely not posses any real knowledge about how AAS effects your blood work, for the most part they don't have a clue.  They have no reason to learn cause huge doses of juice are never indicated in any kind of medical treatment.  You could tell them but I'm sorry to say it will make very little difference.

Thats what they should teach in school instead of the other crap, how to be your own doctor. Cause you will care the most and make sure you get the best care, not some dumb, dumb doctor.

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 10:43:13 AM »
The big risk you take when you tell your doctor that you've done any sort of AAS that he puts it down in your medical records.  Guess who has access to that?  Your insurance company.  They'll cut off your insurance faster than you can bat an eye lash and you'll have a lot of trouble getting insurance from that point out.

Best bet, keep your mouth shut about AAS unless you have a REALLY good doctor who won't write anything in your record.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 06:57:09 PM »
The big risk you take when you tell your doctor that you've done any sort of AAS that he puts it down in your medical records.  Guess who has access to that?  Your insurance company.  They'll cut off your insurance faster than you can bat an eye lash and you'll have a lot of trouble getting insurance from that point out.

Best bet, keep your mouth shut about AAS unless you have a REALLY good doctor who won't write anything in your record.
Good point

Big_Tymer

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Team Huge Aryan Bastards With Muscle
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 08:33:16 PM »

what he said.  your doc has a patient confidentiality law, they arent allowed to tell police or your family what you are doing, but they can make a note of aas use in your medical records, and your insurrance wont like it thats for sure

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 11:12:06 PM »

No they won't.   If they did that every person out there who's lit up a joint and admitted it to their doctor wouldn't be able to get insurance.....

That said, there are laboratories out there that allow people to submit blood work to them without a doctors orders---depending on the state you live in.  Its not allowed in New York or California, but in other states it is.  You can always draw your own blood, send it in, pay for the lab work out of your own pocket, and if there are abnormalities (ie anything outside of the reference range) go into your physician and talk about it.  Doing something like that is risky if you don't know your physician well becuase you may piss them off, but it will give you results.  You just need to get the blood collection equipment and know how to draw blood or know someone to do it for you. 

The problem with just walking into your doctor and randomly asking for blood work isn't necessarily the physician---I've requested blood tests before that my insurance flat out refused to pay for and it took both me and my doctor calling the insurance to get approval for the tests I wanted done on myself.  I am a fan of verifying abnormalities, so if something comes back on my annual workup, I'm going to rerun it within 2 weeks.  Insurance companies don't always agree with that.  You need to check on what your insurance allows and doesn't allow----if you dont' have an "annual wellness" clause to the insurance, you probably won't be able to get the insurance company to pay for a CBC and Chem profile anyway without an illness to justify it.   And then there is a possibility of the insurance company requiring a "justification" for the blood work that is ordered. 

If all else fails, you can get bloodwork done by going to a local "free"/emergency clinic.   You don't have to tell them who your primary care physician is and you don't have to give them proof of insurance if you are prepared to pay the bill in its entirity out of your own pocket.   They also won't report any results to anyone if they don't have numbers/permission to send it.  If they find out, deny permission for release of the medical records---with a letter in writing or an official form.  Just be prepared for the insurance company getting worked up if you do this. 

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 11:19:12 PM »
what he said.  your doc has a patient confidentiality law, they arent allowed to tell police or your family what you are doing, but they can make a note of aas use in your medical records, and your insurrance wont like it thats for sure

I went without health insurance for over 3 years after I did my internship and before I started the residency.  At that time, the job I had paid well, but didn't provide insurance.   I originally was on my wifes policy, but when the university changed her status from "resident/faculty" to "resident/graduate student", the student health center became her primary care giver.  I couldn't get into student health with my work schedule and they didn't like me because I wasn't a student at the university and gave me a big runaround the one time I tried to go as our insurances were changing.  So what I did was develop a relationship with a general practitioner in a neighboring town.   I would go to her for all prescriptions, general health problems and care with my diabetes.   I paid all of the bills out of my own pocket.  When I got insurance again, they asked me about medical records for previous providers---I had to have "credible coverage".   I didn't have it because I hadn't had health insurance, so they pulled records from when I had insurance and completely skipped everything I had paid for out of pocket.  I didn't give them her name and they didn't ask.  There was never a question or and none of those records have appeared in the records I had with the doctors I've had since then.   

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 09:50:03 AM »
No they won't.   If they did that every person out there who's lit up a joint and admitted it to their doctor wouldn't be able to get insurance.....

That said, there are laboratories out there that allow people to submit blood work to them without a doctors orders---depending on the state you live in.  Its not allowed in New York or California, but in other states it is.  You can always draw your own blood, send it in, pay for the lab work out of your own pocket, and if there are abnormalities (ie anything outside of the reference range) go into your physician and talk about it.  Doing something like that is risky if you don't know your physician well becuase you may piss them off, but it will give you results.  You just need to get the blood collection equipment and know how to draw blood or know someone to do it for you. 

The problem with just walking into your doctor and randomly asking for blood work isn't necessarily the physician---I've requested blood tests before that my insurance flat out refused to pay for and it took both me and my doctor calling the insurance to get approval for the tests I wanted done on myself.  I am a fan of verifying abnormalities, so if something comes back on my annual workup, I'm going to rerun it within 2 weeks.  Insurance companies don't always agree with that.  You need to check on what your insurance allows and doesn't allow----if you dont' have an "annual wellness" clause to the insurance, you probably won't be able to get the insurance company to pay for a CBC and Chem profile anyway without an illness to justify it.   And then there is a possibility of the insurance company requiring a "justification" for the blood work that is ordered. 

If all else fails, you can get bloodwork done by going to a local "free"/emergency clinic.   You don't have to tell them who your primary care physician is and you don't have to give them proof of insurance if you are prepared to pay the bill in its entirity out of your own pocket.   They also won't report any results to anyone if they don't have numbers/permission to send it.  If they find out, deny permission for release of the medical records---with a letter in writing or an official form.  Just be prepared for the insurance company getting worked up if you do this. 

Sure they will.  Tell that to two of my close friends that were denied insurance after they're insurance companies found out they were using AAS.  Lighting up a joint and doing AAS are two totally different things in the eyes of insurance companies, don't be so naive.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 12:27:14 PM »
Sure they will.  Tell that to two of my close friends that were denied insurance after they're insurance companies found out they were using AAS.  Lighting up a joint and doing AAS are two totally different things in the eyes of insurance companies, don't be so naive.

So did they have insurance and the insurance company refuse to cover them?  Or were they trying to change insurance companies.  I'm thinking theres a bit more to the story than your friends may have told you.   Did they have other concurrent health problems?  Did the insurance company request credible coverage, could they provide it, and did they label them as "high risk" as a result of their drug "use/addiction"?   

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 02:15:55 PM »
So did they have insurance and the insurance company refuse to cover them?  Or were they trying to change insurance companies.  I'm thinking theres a bit more to the story than your friends may have told you.   Did they have other concurrent health problems?  Did the insurance company request credible coverage, could they provide it, and did they label them as "high risk" as a result of their drug "use/addiction"?   

They were labeled as high risk due to drug use, they were both at the time under insurance, Blue Cross to be exact. One guy was going in for an MRI on his pec due to a tear and the insurance company requested his file and his doctor had noted his AAS use and as soon as they saw that it was grounds for immediate termination of coverage.  My other friend was in a similar situation but was going in for x-rays on his leg after a car accident and his insurance company pulled his coverage after seeing AAS use noted in his files.  It REALLY sucked for him because he's got a family and ended up having to go through Cobra to get coverage.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 04:13:18 PM »
They were labeled as high risk due to drug use, they were both at the time under insurance, Blue Cross to be exact. One guy was going in for an MRI on his pec due to a tear and the insurance company requested his file and his doctor had noted his AAS use and as soon as they saw that it was grounds for immediate termination of coverage.  My other friend was in a similar situation but was going in for x-rays on his leg after a car accident and his insurance company pulled his coverage after seeing AAS use noted in his files.  It REALLY sucked for him because he's got a family and ended up having to go through Cobra to get coverage.

OK, thats strange to me based on what I now dealing with insurance companies for my family, with my parents business, and with employees. 

Blue Cross is managed by each individual state organization, so one state may have slightly different specific coverage clauses than a different state--for example California vs Indiana vs Mass, but most things are relatively uniform across all states.   On top of that there are typically slightly different state programs, which are for all practical purposes the same, but may differ on slight things.    There may be something different in the state your friend is in that I'm not aware of. 

I had to pull my own insurance information (my wife and I both have Blue Cross from two different employers, so there are subtle differences in our coverage also) earlier today because I was looking something up for a medical procedure I had done earlier today---an MRI, which I find kind of funny considering the topic we are talking about.   Blue Cross has what appears to be in writing for the state where I live, a strong drug treatment program.  I can see the insurance company refusing to pay for the MRI (on my plan and on my wifes, its 100% coverage if its preapproved by Blue Cross and done through a network provider) and saying he had to go through a drug treatment program because of the identified illegal drug use.  If he refused those things they could discontinue service.  An insurance company cannot just randomly drop a person it is covering without written notification of the specific reasons for termination of coverage.  If they provide a vague reason, its an insured persons right to dispute it and demand a more detailed reason or a reinquirery into why they are being dropped.  All too often people don't read the fine print of their health insurance policies (I used to not, but have changed over the last few years) and it ends up with the insurance company doing something that appears totally random or even harmful to the person that is covered but is clearly stated in the little print. 

The COBRA use by the other friend also doesn't make sense to me.   COBRA is defined for continued coverage of insurance in the event of loss of insurance coverage due to a qualified event.  Qualified events include: 1) the death of the covered employee, (2) termination or a reduction in hours (which can be the result of resignation, discharge, layoff, medical leave, etc) that causes the worker to lose eligibility for coverage, (3) divorce, which normally terminates the ex-spouse's eligibility for benefits, or (4) a dependent child reaching the age at which he or she is no longer covered.   If the insurance company refused to cover the person due to AAS use, then his family wouldn't have fallen under COBRA as I understand it.  http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq_consumer_cobra.html  I can see if he was in a car wreck and had to take an extended leave from work where his family would have been forced to use FMLA, but not COBRA.  [url]http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/statutes/whd/fmla.htm[/quote]

Just on a side note, insurance companies seriously piss me off as a doctor.  When I was in private practice I worked hard to get the maximal insurance coverage for my patients, especially as I watched the veterinary insurance companies begin to pull some of the bullshit tricks that human insurance companies do and as I moved from state to state and noticed some big discrepancies from one state to the other.  What you are saying about your friends may very well have happened, I'm not trying to dispute that, I'm just saying that it doesn't make sense to me based on what I know about how most health insurance companies operate.  It seems like part of the story is missing. 

Just remember there are ways to get around insurance company rules if you know what you are doing. 

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 04:23:24 PM »
Well I know both of them pretty closely and there may indeed have been something else going on behind the scenes which they didn't want to be known outside their families, I doubt it though.  Most doctors are very close minded when it comes to AAS use and thankfully I finally found one who is open and somewhat knowledgeable.  I just recommend people keeping their mouths shut because you never know what's going to happen with the insurance company, especially if you've got a family.  Why take the risk?

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 04:29:05 PM »
Well I know both of them pretty closely and there may indeed have been something else going on behind the scenes which they didn't want to be known outside their families, I doubt it though.  Most doctors are very close minded when it comes to AAS use and thankfully I finally found one who is open and somewhat knowledgeable.  I just recommend people keeping their mouths shut because you never know what's going to happen with the insurance company, especially if you've got a family.  Why take the risk?

I agree with you on that.  I'm not about to hide my dislike of insurance companies.