Author Topic: Independence Day sequels  (Read 1635 times)

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Independence Day sequels
« on: October 28, 2011, 03:53:28 PM »
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/scifi_comic_book_movies/news/?a=49001

Back-to-Back ID4 Sequels still happening
2 sequels for Independence Day are still happening.
From IGN.com

It's been awhile since we've heard anything substantial on Fox's upcoming Independence Day sequels, but director Roland Emmerich and his writing partner Dean Devlin claim to be putting the finishing touches on a pair of screenplays now. They should be ready for the studio by early- to mid-December.

An insider told Vulture that the back-to-back films are written to work as standalone movies while also threading together a single narrative. "They're intended to be fulfilling movies onto themselves," claims the source. "You could see each separately and enjoy them, but they tell one big story." Of course, the big question still remains: What about Will Smith?!

According to the insider, the delays have never really been about finishing the scripts. The real problem comes down to -- what else? -- money. Between Smith's $50 million price tag and Emmerich's own hefty salary demands, it's been difficult for Fox to budget the films. Said the insider, "The delay wasn't about whether they both wanted to make the movie. It had more to do with 'Whose d*** is bigger?'"

The studio says they are willing to move forward on the project without Smith, if necessary, although right now that seems to be a last resort. The good news is Bill Pullman is clearly good to go.

bradistani

• Getbig V
Re: Independence Day sequels
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 09:31:12 AM »
with any luck they'll make this WITHOUT will smith.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 05:58:09 AM »
Well, an Independence Day scale movie in 3D, that would be something.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 04:52:12 PM »
with any luck they'll make this WITHOUT will smith.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/entertainment-eonline/20130624/b432874/

Will Smith Not Returning for Independence Day 2, Director Says Movie Star is "Too Expensive"

you were anticipating seeing Will Smith in the upcoming sequel to Independence Day, well, it looks like you might be out of luck.

While it was recently announced that a follow-up to the hugely successful 1996 alien-invasion flick is slated to hit theaters on July 3, 2015, director Roland Emmerich has revealed that it will not feature the megastar.

"Will Smith cannot come back because he's too expensive, but he'd also be too much of a marquee name," Emmerich told the New York Daily News . "It would be too much."

Then again, the exclusion of Smith might be a blessing in disguise for the 44-year-old actor.

After all, while chatting earlier this month with Digital Spy about his latest film, After Earth, Smith hinted at his desire to scale back on making big-budget movies.

"I've been really focused and it's been an absolute necessity that the movie be a blockbuster," he said, referring to After Earth. "But I think I'm going to start moving out of that and finding more danger in my artistic choices."

Meanwhile, Emmerich's new movie White House Down, starring Channing Tatum and Jamie Foxx, hits theaters on Friday.