Author Topic: Dangerous situation with puppy  (Read 2240 times)

FinnPilot

• Getbig III
  • Team Patrick Bateman
Dangerous situation with puppy
« on: January 10, 2008, 02:31:31 PM »
So our puppy (the black lab which i posted pics of, now 9 weeks old) started throwing up yesterday evening, and continued to throw up after every meal. Today, i gave him a little rice and cottage cheese as instructed by a vet, and about half an hour later he starts throwing up again. But this time it wasn't only food that was coming out. I noticed this black thing, about 3 inches long and an inch wide, and after bried examination it turned out to be a sock. I still just can't understand how he was able to swallow a whole sock ??? Have to be very thankful that he threw it up, it could've ended up a lot worse.

knny187

• Getbig V
Re: Dangerous situation with puppy
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 03:07:03 PM »
So our puppy (the black lab which i posted pics of, now 9 weeks old) started throwing up yesterday evening, and continued to throw up after every meal. Today, i gave him a little rice and cottage cheese as instructed by a vet, and about half an hour later he starts throwing up again. But this time it wasn't only food that was coming out. I noticed this black thing, about 3 inches long and an inch wide, and after bried examination it turned out to be a sock. I still just can't understand how he was able to swallow a whole sock ??? Have to be very thankful that he threw it up, it could've ended up a lot worse.

I've had 5 labs & when growing up....we used to breed them.

IMO....no other breed chews & gets into things like a lab.  Take this warning for your pup as atleast it threw it up......from now on....treat the puppy like you would a little baby.  DO NOT leave things on the floor for it to pick up & swallow.  When in doubt....pick it up & put it away.  I don't care how silly it may seem....even a phone book.  Also....puppy proof everything.  If you can get on all 4's & reach something....so will the puppy as it gets older.  Also...get on your knees & reach for things.  If you can reach it....so can the puppy as it gets bigger.  Do not take it lightly or it can be much worse. 

Some other things.....

Always keep an eye on the pup.  Make sure the pup is always in visual sight when you're home.  If all of a sudden you're watching tv & you don't see the dog...I will bet the farm she/he is doing something mischievous.

Also...once every couple of days....lay on the ground & check for items under the couch & bed.  Loose items get kicked under there & the puppy will find them.

FinnPilot

• Getbig III
  • Team Patrick Bateman
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 03:55:19 PM »
I've had 5 labs & when growing up....we used to breed them.

IMO....no other breed chews & gets into things like a lab.  Take this warning for your pup as atleast it threw it up......from now on....treat the puppy like you would a little baby.  DO NOT leave things on the floor for it to pick up & swallow.  When in doubt....pick it up & put it away.  I don't care how silly it may seem....even a phone book.  Also....puppy proof everything.  If you can get on all 4's & reach something....so will the puppy as it gets older.  Also...get on your knees & reach for things.  If you can reach it....so can the puppy as it gets bigger.  Do not take it lightly or it can be much worse. 

Some other things.....

Always keep an eye on the pup.  Make sure the pup is always in visual sight when you're home.  If all of a sudden you're watching tv & you don't see the dog...I will bet the farm she/he is doing something mischievous.

Also...once every couple of days....lay on the ground & check for items under the couch & bed.  Loose items get kicked under there & the puppy will find them.

Good advices. I've tried to be really careful and not to leave anything for it to get, but this was a very valuable lesson and obviously showed that i had to do much, much more.

FinnPilot

• Getbig III
  • Team Patrick Bateman
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 04:01:14 PM »
Here's a 2 minutes old pic of the sockeater :)

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 04:14:26 PM »
looks like trouble to me

JediKnight

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 05:44:40 PM »

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 06:53:47 PM »
A friend of mine had a pit that ate his wifes pantyhose/stockings....he had to have surgery one time, the other times he would throw them up or "pass" them with some help. :-X
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

FinnPilot

• Getbig III
  • Team Patrick Bateman
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 12:51:07 AM »

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 05:22:02 AM »
Oscar one ate 3 of my wifes stockings :o thank God they didnt get stuck! to bad for me they needed a little help comming out  >:(. from now on we keep the laundry basket in the closet
X

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 11:16:14 AM »
Good advices.
;D  (they were!)

Here's a 2 minutes old pic of the sockeater :)
Tedy the Sockeater is adorable!  More pics please!!

R

FinnPilot

• Getbig III
  • Team Patrick Bateman
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 12:30:54 PM »
He sure is! :) Here's few more pics :D

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 02:26:33 PM »
 :D

Thanks!  More when you have time please :)  And maybe some videos?!
R

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 04:58:13 AM »
Awwww, he's cute! 

Good thing he threw it up...I worked in an animal hospital a while back, and we had to do surgery on a lab to get the tennis ball out of his stomach.   :-\

:)

FinnPilot

• Getbig III
  • Team Patrick Bateman
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 01:17:28 PM »
:D

Thanks!  More when you have time please :)  And maybe some videos?!

I'll try to add more later :)

Awwww, he's cute! 

Good thing he threw it up...I worked in an animal hospital a while back, and we had to do surgery on a lab to get the tennis ball out of his stomach.   :-\

A tennisball?? WTF?! How was he able to swallow that ???

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 01:06:38 PM »

A tennisball?? WTF?! How was he able to swallow that ???

It was a Lab...that explains everything