Author Topic: I Need some tips...  (Read 4405 times)

shadowpilot

• Getbig II
I Need some tips...
« on: August 10, 2008, 03:53:57 PM »
So... I’m deployed to Iraq right now... and I really want to get in shape while I’m out here. I don’t come home till November so I have 3 months to make some progress. I understand a lot of the basics of good nutrition, exercise, and getting a good night of sleep. However I work 13 hour shifts, and am limited to whatever food this place serves me.

I am currently 6'2 and 250. I came out here at 275 and did nothing but cardio for my first month. And dropped 25lbs... Now I’m looking to build up some muscle and continue to lose weight.

So I am looking to get some tips on supplements I should take, or workouts I should be doing. Or any other things I should know or do.

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
Re: I Need some tips...
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 04:10:30 PM »
workout 3-4 days a week.

alternate between upper and lower body workouts. if you wanna gain muscle you need a  caloric surplus. add weight to the bar whenever you can. stay consistant. lift heavy 4-6 weeks, light 1-2 weeks, and repeat.

5-6 sets for big body parts (2 exercises. exercises 1: 3x5 , exercise 2: 2x8-12
3-4 for smaller

useful supplements (but not necessary); protein powder (can eat reg food..but can be convenient with protein powder), creatine, multivitamins, fish oil. coffee before workouts.

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 04:19:34 PM »

monday: lower body

squats 3x5
straight leg deadlifts 3x5
bulgarian split squats 2x8-12
leg curls 2x8-12
calf raises 3-4x5-20
abs 3-4 sets 8-12

tue: upper body
bench press 3x5
chins 3x5
incline db press 2x8-12 (fri: do shoulder presses)
rows 3x8-12
biceps 3x8-12
triceps 3x8-12

repeat thur-fri. (change exercises if you want)

if you cant recover from lifting 4 days a week, lift mon-wed-fri

mon:lower
wed:upper
fri:lower
mon:upper etc

shadowpilot

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 04:23:25 PM »
Thanks slaveboy, Should I do Cardio on the other days or do..
Mon lift
Tue Lift
Wed Cardio
Thur Lift
Fri Lift
Sat Cardio
Sun Rest

Repeat?

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 04:25:30 PM »
thread reported. move to training board bla bla

why do you need to report the thread. arent you teh zuper?

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 04:26:04 PM »
why do you need to report the thread. arent you teh zuper?
What are you talking about?

Good advice slaveboy1980, solid.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 04:26:58 PM »
What are you talking about?

Good advice slaveboy1980, solid.

no idea. seems like your deleting everything i post.

kamali is amazing

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 04:31:08 PM »
Thanks slaveboy, Should I do Cardio on the other days or do..
Mon lift
Tue Lift
Wed Cardio
Thur Lift
Fri Lift
Sat Cardio
Sun Rest

Repeat?

feel free to do cardio on the other days. but always have one day per week free from training (both lifting weights and cardio)

what kind of cardio are you looking to do?

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 04:33:20 PM »
no idea. seems like your deleting everything i post.

kamali is amazing
I haven't deleted any of your posts. ???

I'm not the only mod here, ya know? ;)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

shadowpilot

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 04:35:01 PM »
We have treadmils, stair machines, elipticals, and bicycles... I have been doing 30 min eliptical and then 15 min on the bike or treadmil in the past....

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 04:38:48 PM »

shadowpilot

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008, 04:43:14 PM »
OOO this has alot of stuff to read through, this should keep me busy at work heh

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2008, 04:43:31 PM »
We have treadmils, stair machines, elipticals, and bicycles... I have been doing 30 min eliptical and then 15 min on the bike or treadmil in the past....

is it  'high intensity' cardio? if it is..you have to pay very close attention to recovery (because working legs twice a week in the gym together with frequent running etc..will be too much for most people)

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2008, 04:46:39 PM »
OOO this has alot of stuff to read through, this should keep me busy at work heh

lots of info on there. not everything is accurate tho..but a good starting point.

also let me add: working hard, staying consistant and having fun in the gym, is more important than knowing every theoretical aspect of weight lifting. (as long as you know the basics).  avoid paralysis by analysis.

shadowpilot

• Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2008, 04:50:19 PM »
I don't think its high intensity... i don't really know... I just get on there and go... as for being to much I'm pretty dedicated once i get going... The most important thing to me right now is just getting lean. building muscle can come 2nd I'm already fairly big. Is there any weight loss pills that actually work? I tried hydroxicut hardcore and got nothing out of it...

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2008, 04:55:13 PM »
I don't think its high intensity... i don't really know... I just get on there and go... as for being to much I'm pretty dedicated once i get going... The most important thing to me right now is just getting lean. building muscle can come 2nd I'm already fairly big. Is there any weight loss pills that actually work? I tried hydroxicut hardcore and got nothing out of it...

forget weight loss pills. what you need for weight loss is a caloric deficit. which can be achieved thru food restriction + cardio.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2008, 04:59:14 PM »
by eating you less you will lose weight over time

good luck and stay positive

Z

shadowpilot

• Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2008, 05:06:49 PM »
Well I lost the 25 last month doing cardio everyday and eating like one sub sandwhich each day when I woke up... I know im supposed to eat like 5-6 small meals a day.. but my schedule out here is nutz I work 13 hours a day and only have access to food a certain times of the day...  For example I work 9 at night to 9 in the morning and I have access to a sub sandwhich when i come to work.. and then midnight chow has breakfast stuff... and then of course breakfast at 5...

I figured when I was eating a sandwhich a day i was getting a MAX of like mabye 900 cal a day... and being 250lbs i should burn 2500 easily just going to work and sleeping.. and then doing cardio on top of it. I usually do cardio till i break 1000 cals burned on the machines. so I was thinking im 3500-900 = 2600 cals burned a day... and i read there was 3500 cals in a pound...  so id be dropping a lb every other day or so... and 25lbs in a month is about right... but after i hit 250... I completly stopped loosing weight... im stuck

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2008, 05:08:47 PM »
oh ok well i think chaos and slaveboy can help you with the rest

tata
Z

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2008, 08:39:07 PM »
good solid advice slaveboy

monstercalves

• Getbig IV
  • Jesse James Dean Martin Lawrence Fishburne
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2008, 08:26:02 PM »
Well I lost the 25 last month doing cardio everyday and eating like one sub sandwhich each day when I woke up... I know im supposed to eat like 5-6 small meals a day.. but my schedule out here is nutz I work 13 hours a day and only have access to food a certain times of the day...  For example I work 9 at night to 9 in the morning and I have access to a sub sandwhich when i come to work.. and then midnight chow has breakfast stuff... and then of course breakfast at 5...

I figured when I was eating a sandwhich a day i was getting a MAX of like mabye 900 cal a day... and being 250lbs i should burn 2500 easily just going to work and sleeping.. and then doing cardio on top of it. I usually do cardio till i break 1000 cals burned on the machines. so I was thinking im 3500-900 = 2600 cals burned a day... and i read there was 3500 cals in a pound...  so id be dropping a lb every other day or so... and 25lbs in a month is about right... but after i hit 250... I completly stopped loosing weight... im stuck

u will be one of the fitest humans on this message board....

so follow what people are sayin regarding gaining muscle ....but dont do any cardio to change how u look...if u have to do cardio to keep sharp and fit for work then thats ur decision.... but dont do it to make ur body look different...

stick to weights for that .....

ur lack of calories and amount of anaerobic exercise u get during ur work will ensure low bodyfat...

what reg u in?

shadowpilot

• Getbig II
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2008, 08:52:21 PM »
People always say if you wanna loose weight run run run... I am going to start getting back into weight lifting which i havent done in years... Im just afraid to gain weight instead of loose it... and I know the weight id be gaining would be good weight However... the army still sees it as gaining weight its really stupid. I have to be under 205 for 6'2 i have a 56' chest there is no way ill ever been that low. and they weigh me each month and if I dont loose 3lbs I Can get demoted... Mabye i should just "GET BIG" and get demoted at least id look and feel good lol...

currently serving with 4 Brigade 1st Cav from Fort Hood Texas

monstercalves

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2008, 09:23:43 PM »
People always say if you wanna loose weight run run run... I am going to start getting back into weight lifting which i havent done in years... Im just afraid to gain weight instead of loose it... and I know the weight id be gaining would be good weight However... the army still sees it as gaining weight its really stupid. I have to be under 205 for 6'2 i have a 56' chest there is no way ill ever been that low. and they weigh me each month and if I dont loose 3lbs I Can get demoted... Mabye i should just "GET BIG" and get demoted at least id look and feel good lol...

currently serving with 4 Brigade 1st Cav from Fort Hood Texas

amazing ... im from scotland ..... got to admire anyone in the forces serving in iraq/afghanistan

right i see....didnt know u had to lose overall weight ....bodyfat and muscle

i dont want to go against what anyone suggested here(i havent read everyones suggestions) but im sure i wont...

as i said u wont get heavier because ur not taking in enough calories...

so u should keep doing ur cardio and concentrate on lighter manageable weight with high reps which will tighten ur muscle/body up as oppose to building muscle mass with low reps and heavy weight.....

with what ur doing on a daily basis out there and the heat and lack of calories u should have no probs gettin down to about 14.5 stone/200 - 205 lbs

shadowpilot

• Getbig II
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2008, 09:52:08 PM »
Yeah, I figure a low weight high rep workout cant hurt ... its not like im stacking 5000cal and 350 protein a day... my new work out schedule has me lifting weights 4xs a week and biking for 2 one day off.. and cardio everyday. I do my lifting routine after work and my cardio before work.... i may swap them up I havent decided yet.

monstercalves

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2008, 09:55:56 PM »
Yeah, I figure a low weight high rep workout cant hurt ... its not like im stacking 5000cal and 350 protein a day... my new work out schedule has me lifting weights 4xs a week and biking for 2 one day off.. and cardio everyday. I do my lifting routine after work and my cardio before work.... i may swap them up I havent decided yet.

yep u sound as if u know what ur talkin about.... losing 70 lbs overall man...........

thats a lot ..... and im sure its not all fat .......