Author Topic: Amy Coney Barrett sworn in as Supreme Court Justice at White House ceremony  (Read 37504 times)

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
Re: Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Dead At 87
« Reply #175 on: September 22, 2020, 06:44:53 AM »

Trump mulling Appeals Court judges Barbara Lagoa, Amy Coney Barrett for Supreme Court - source

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Two female U.S. Appeals Court judges are on President Donald Trump’s short list of candidates to fill the Supreme Court vacancy opened up by the death on Friday of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, a source said on Saturday.

Barbara Lagoa, a Cuban American, and Amy Coney Barrett, a conservative Catholic, were among the top contenders, the source said.

Both women were nominated to their current positions by Trump.

Lagoa, 52, a former Florida Supreme Court judge, was nominated by Trump to the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals in September of 2019.

Prior to that she spent less than a year on Florida’s Supreme Court, where she was the first Latina judge. She previously spent more than a decade as a judge on an intermediate appeals court in Florida.

She was confirmed by the Senate in an 80-15 vote in November, as the Democrat-controlled House was holding impeachment proceedings against Trump. The bipartisan support that vote showed could make her the top candidate, one Republican donor who advises the White House said.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-courts-ginsburg-candidates-idUSKCN26A0Q7

polychronopolous

• Getbig V

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #177 on: September 22, 2020, 08:11:56 AM »
:

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #178 on: September 22, 2020, 08:38:19 AM »
Well, it looks like Romney will do one thing right this year.

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #179 on: September 22, 2020, 11:33:06 AM »
Well, it looks like Romney will do one thing right this year.
Just hope he dose not change is mind during the hearings.  You know the Dems will say this women raped people.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #180 on: September 22, 2020, 02:20:54 PM »
Just hope he dose not change is mind during the hearings.  You know the Dems will say this women raped people.
Or say she was a mean girl in high school.  Bullied girls with small tits in the locker room.

Moontrane

• Getbig V
  • a Harris administration, together with Joe Biden
« Reply #181 on: September 22, 2020, 02:43:27 PM »
Or say she was a mean girl in high school.  Bullied girls with small tits in the locker room.

There'll be an amazing series of allegations.  Here she is at 17 in high school back in 1989 (2nd from the left).

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #182 on: September 22, 2020, 03:05:56 PM »
There'll be an amazing series of allegations.  Here she is at 17 in high school back in 1989 (2nd from the left).

Is that the oven dodger on the right?

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #183 on: September 22, 2020, 03:48:04 PM »
Interesting.  I thought Barrett was the next one up, but Lagoa being confirmed 80-15 less than a year ago is a powerful selling point.

If this is one year ago I think Amy Coney Barrett is without question the pick but this close to the election?

Lagoa is Hispanic and from Florida so in terms of November that would potentially help him out in those 2 categories.

However the conservative base seems to really like Barrett.

My gut tells me he goes with Barrett because they have some history between the two but I would not be shocked in the least if he goes with Lagoa given the circumstances.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #184 on: September 22, 2020, 04:40:04 PM »
Is that the oven dodger on the right?

Yes Uncle Mel.  It most certainly is. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #185 on: September 22, 2020, 05:21:06 PM »

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #186 on: September 22, 2020, 05:52:36 PM »
If this is one year ago I think Amy Coney Barrett is without question the pick but this close to the election?

Lagoa is Hispanic and from Florida so in terms of November that would potentially help him out in those 2 categories.

My gut tells me he goes with Barrett because they have some history between the two but I would not be shocked in the least if he goes with Lagoa given the circumstances.
Correct.

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
  • HANKINS IS A FUCKING LIAR & QUITTER
« Reply #187 on: September 23, 2020, 08:51:06 AM »
Just checking in...still dead?

Has President Trump filled the position yet?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #189 on: September 23, 2020, 01:23:04 PM »

I agree.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #190 on: September 23, 2020, 01:40:32 PM »

Will Senators Joe Manchin, Doug Jones Break with Democrats to Back SCOTUS Nominee?

Enough GOP senators have fallen in line behind Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) to confirm a Supreme Court nominee from President Donald Trump before the election.

Just two Republicans—Susan Collins (Maine) and Lisa Murkowski (Alaska), some of the Senate's most vulnerable members—oppose the upper chamber filling the vacancy left by Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg ahead of November 3. It would take four GOP defectors to block a confirmation.

Neither of the upper chamber's most moderate Democrats—Joe Manchin (W.Va.) and Doug Jones (Ala.)—have explicitly stated they will oppose Trump's nominee, given that one has yet to be announced. But both lawmakers have signaled no willingness to rush a nominee through the GOP-controlled Senate before the election.

https://www.newsweek.com/will-senators-joe-manchin-doug-jones-break-democrats-back-scotus-nominee-1533604

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #191 on: September 23, 2020, 02:25:08 PM »

Will Senators Joe Manchin, Doug Jones Break with Democrats to Back SCOTUS Nominee?

Enough GOP senators have fallen in line behind Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) to confirm a Supreme Court nominee from President Donald Trump before the election.

Just two Republicans—Susan Collins (Maine) and Lisa Murkowski (Alaska), some of the Senate's most vulnerable members—oppose the upper chamber filling the vacancy left by Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg ahead of November 3. It would take four GOP defectors to block a confirmation.

Neither of the upper chamber's most moderate Democrats—Joe Manchin (W.Va.) and Doug Jones (Ala.)—have explicitly stated they will oppose Trump's nominee, given that one has yet to be announced. But both lawmakers have signaled no willingness to rush a nominee through the GOP-controlled Senate before the election.

https://www.newsweek.com/will-senators-joe-manchin-doug-jones-break-democrats-back-scotus-nominee-1533604

Doug Jones is a walking dead senator.  Will he try and help himself in the election or just say screw it and follow his party? 

Manchin is a real wild card.

What is a shame is that all of those senators don't simply vote based on whether the nominee is qualified. 

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #192 on: September 23, 2020, 03:13:30 PM »
It amazes me to see how Mitch and his GOP Trump lackeys can spin like a top on their previous
" We can't nominate a new justice during an election year. We must let the public have their say."

Reminds me of some douchebag that got caught with a Playboy and tried to claimed they were reading the articles  ::)

Next up, Trump tells followers he was attracted to Melania because he liked her energy.  ;D

That's like saying Bill Clinton wanted to see Monica because she brought him a pizza hahahaha.

When will these fukers just be honest and tell the truth.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #193 on: September 23, 2020, 05:38:37 PM »
Just checking in...still dead?

Has President Trump filled the position yet?

Walt when he learns that Trump nominated Hillary for SCOTUS  :o

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • “Always do what you are afraid to do.” - Emerson
« Reply #194 on: September 24, 2020, 03:39:51 AM »
Hmm...

https://mobile.twitter.com/boblonsberry/status/1308931505968820225?s=10

"Bob Lonsberry
@BobLonsberry
·
19h
I respect the legacy and life of #RuthBaderGinsburg, but curious after seeing so many white law clerks honoring her, I learned that with more than 100 clerks, only one was black. And in 40 years on the federal bench, that one person was the only black employee or intern ever."

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #195 on: September 24, 2020, 04:33:39 AM »
It amazes me to see how Mitch and his GOP Trump lackeys can spin like a top on their previous
" We can't nominate a new justice during an election year. We must let the public have their say."

Reminds me of some douchebag that got caught with a Playboy and tried to claimed they were reading the articles  ::)

Next up, Trump tells followers he was attracted to Melania because he liked her energy.  ;D

That's like saying Bill Clinton wanted to see Monica because she brought him a pizza hahahaha.

When will these fukers just be honest and tell the truth.

Right, but perhaps the Democratic impeachment, and the way the Democrats treated Kavanaugh changed their thoughts?

The reality is both parties have changed what they said last time.  It's not a Republican thing - have you seen the compilation videos showing what each said last time?  They're all politicians.

The parties won't do what they said previously, they will do what they CAN do now.

And nobody is delusional enough to think the Democrats wouldn't do the exact same thing.
Y

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #196 on: September 24, 2020, 06:43:41 AM »
Democrats worry Feinstein can’t handle Supreme Court battle

As the Senate prepares for yet another brutal Supreme Court nomination fight, one particularly sensitive issue is creating apprehension among Democrats: what to do with 87-year-old Sen. Dianne Feinstein, the ranking member of the Judiciary Committee.

Feinstein, the oldest member of the Senate, is widely respected by senators in both parties, but she has noticeably slowed in recent years. Interviews with more than a dozen Democratic senators and aides show widespread concern over whether the California Democrat is capable of leading the aggressive effort Democrats need against whoever President Donald Trump picks to replace the late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/democrats-worry-feinstein-cant-handle-164110338.html

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #197 on: September 24, 2020, 07:07:38 AM »

Alaska’s Sen. Murkowski says she can’t rule out voting for Trump’s Supreme Court pick

If Democrats were counting on Lisa Murkowski to vote against President Trump’s next nominee to the Supreme Court, they should think again.

Sen. Murkowski said Tuesday she could not rule out that she would vote to confirm a Trump nominee if the Judiciary Committee approves one before the November election.

“I know everybody wants to ask the question, ‘will you confirm the nominee?’” she said outside the Capitol, as her Republican colleagues were gathering for their weekly policy lunch. “We don’t have a nominee yet. You and I don’t know who that is. And so I can’t confirm whether or not I can confirm a nominee when I don’t know who the nominee is.”

Sen. Mitt Romney took a similar position Tuesday, so it looks nearly impossible for Democrats to block Trump from seating his third Supreme Court justice.

Murkowski told Alaska Public Media last week, just before Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg died, that she wanted to stick to the precedent set in 2016, when Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell refused to consider President Barack Obama’s nominee because it was too close to an election.

“And so I would not vote to confirm a Supreme Court nominee,” she said Friday.

Murkowski said Tuesday she still opposes a Senate confirmation vote this close to an election.

“I do not support this process moving forward,” she said. “Now, having said that, this process is moving forward with or without me.”

Murkowski said she did not know whether she would withhold her vote to protest the timing of the appointment, but she said the quality of the confirmation process would be a factor.

“If I had felt that there was a rush to move this through because you’re up against a deadline that is hard and fast, like an election, and that a nominee had not been thoroughly and fairly evaluated through our process, then I’m going to have to look at that,” she said.

https://www.alaskapublic.org/2020/09/22/alaskas-sen-murkowski-says-she-cant-rule-out-voting-for-trumps-supreme-court-pick/

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #199 on: September 24, 2020, 09:18:29 AM »