Author Topic: Impeachment  (Read 277214 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Impeachment
« Reply #400 on: January 16, 2019, 02:11:00 PM »
Sheldon Whitehouse: We Are ‘Moving Toward Indictment and Charges of the President’
16 Jan 2019

Appearing Tuesday evening on CNN’s Cuomo Primetime, Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI), a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, told host Christopher Cuomo that prosecutors are “moving toward indictment and charges” against President Donald Trump.

Cuomo Prime Time

@CuomoPrimeTime
 Democrat Sen. @SenWhitehouse: "If there are crimes that [Trump] has committed, he should be indicted." https://cnn.it/2RP1UX5
4:30 PM - Jan 15, 2019
353 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy

A partial transcript is as follows:

SEN. SHELDON WHITEHOUSE: I think that if there are crimes that he [President Trump] has committed, he should be indicted. I do not at all subscribe to the OLC theory that a president can’t be indicted. I think that the Office of Legal Counsel and Department of Justice bends over backward to take the most executive branch-friendly position that it possibly can. I think a court taking a look at this would say “no, no, no, no, no,” and if you look at the Nixon precedents and others, they don’t align with a president not being answerable to the public in this way. And it would create a terrible situation. You have a president, who the public knows is the subject of a criminal investigation, may very well be involved in criminal activity, and you don’t get a resolution of that question? You don’t get pressure on him to answer questions and get out? That doesn’t seem like an appropriate way to deal with it.

CHRISTOPHER CUOMO: Based on what you know right now, do you think you could bring a case against the president?

SEN. WHITEHOUSE: I would want to know a lot more. I’m at the stage, based on what I know, that I would be sitting down with the agents and say “okay, we need to run down this, we need to run down that, we need to pin down some things before we go.” We are certainly in a mode, I believe, of moving toward an indictment and charges of the president, but I do not believe, based on what I know — Mueller may know more — that we’re at the stage of actually being able to make the charge.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/01/16/sheldon-whitehouse-we-are-moving-toward-indictment-and-charges-of-the-president/

Moontrane

• Getbig V
  • a Harris administration, together with Joe Biden
« Reply #401 on: January 16, 2019, 03:51:05 PM »
Sheldon Whitehouse: We Are ‘Moving Toward Indictment and Charges of the President’
16 Jan 2019

Appearing Tuesday evening on CNN’s Cuomo Primetime, Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI), a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, told host Christopher Cuomo that prosecutors are “moving toward indictment and charges” against President Donald Trump.

Cuomo Prime Time

@CuomoPrimeTime
 Democrat Sen. @SenWhitehouse: "If there are crimes that [Trump] has committed, he should be indicted." https://cnn.it/2RP1UX5
4:30 PM - Jan 15, 2019
353 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy

A partial transcript is as follows:

SEN. SHELDON WHITEHOUSE: I think that if there are crimes that he [President Trump] has committed, he should be indicted. I do not at all subscribe to the OLC theory that a president can’t be indicted. I think that the Office of Legal Counsel and Department of Justice bends over backward to take the most executive branch-friendly position that it possibly can. I think a court taking a look at this would say “no, no, no, no, no,” and if you look at the Nixon precedents and others, they don’t align with a president not being answerable to the public in this way. And it would create a terrible situation. You have a president, who the public knows is the subject of a criminal investigation, may very well be involved in criminal activity, and you don’t get a resolution of that question? You don’t get pressure on him to answer questions and get out? That doesn’t seem like an appropriate way to deal with it.

CHRISTOPHER CUOMO: Based on what you know right now, do you think you could bring a case against the president?

SEN. WHITEHOUSE: I would want to know a lot more. I’m at the stage, based on what I know, that I would be sitting down with the agents and say “okay, we need to run down this, we need to run down that, we need to pin down some things before we go.” We are certainly in a mode, I believe, of moving toward an indictment and charges of the president, but I do not believe, based on what I know — Mueller may know more — that we’re at the stage of actually being able to make the charge.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/01/16/sheldon-whitehouse-we-are-moving-toward-indictment-and-charges-of-the-president/

Sen Whitehouse believes in golden tickets.

Board_SHERIF

• Getbig V
  • UK Independence Party
« Reply #402 on: January 16, 2019, 06:27:55 PM »

K

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #403 on: February 11, 2019, 01:42:06 PM »
Doyle McManus: Congress already is laying the groundwork for impeachment
By Doyle McManus Los Angeles Times (TNS)

WASHINGTON — Last week, no fewer than six committees of the House of Representatives were investigating potential grounds for impeaching President Donald Trump.

They don’t use the word “impeachment.” Their instructions from House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, are to describe their work in narrower, less inflammatory terms.

But the question is never far away: Does Trump’s record of norm-busting, rule-bending and apparent law-breaking, from conflicts of interest to murky connections with foreign governments, justify removing him from office?

Your Morning Kickstart is delivered to your inbox 7 a.m. daily. Make sure you don’t miss out on the latest in news, entertainment, weather, and sports.
SUBSCRIBE HERE

“We have to see what the facts are,” Pelosi said recently. “We shouldn’t be impeaching for a political reason, and we shouldn’t avoid impeachment for a political reason. So we’ll just have to see how it comes.”

Call this phase “pre-impeachment.” Pelosi and her committee chairs, all Democrats, are doing what they need to do to make impeaching Trump possible.

The speaker and her allies describe a two-step process before any impeachment can succeed.

Step one is gathering conclusive evidence of misconduct — high crimes and misdemeanors, the Constitution says — serious enough to warrant articles of impeachment. That may be the easy part.

Step two would be persuading the public that impeachment is warranted and building bipartisan support in Congress, especially in the Republican-controlled Senate. That’s tougher.

If only one party is involved, Democrats risk the kind of disaster Republicans faced when they impeached President Bill Clinton in 1998, saw him acquitted in the Senate, and watched their own popularity plummet.

The House Democrats have held their majority for little more than a month, so step one is only beginning — in Congress, at least. But they lost no time in getting underway.

It will be hard to keep the probes separate. A Pelosi aide convenes a weekly meeting just to keep track of the overlapping lines of inquiry.

The House Intelligence Committee, under Rep. Adam B. Schiff, D-Calif., will investigate whether Trump or his family have been compromised by Russia, Saudi Arabia or other foreign actors.

Financial Affairs, under Rep. Maxine Waters, D-Calif., will help Schiff look into potential money laundering by the president’s family-run company.

Judiciary, under Rep. Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y., is probing possible violations of campaign laws. Oversight, under Rep. Elijah E. Cummings, D-Md., is investigating foreign payments to Trump’s businesses.

Foreign Affairs, under Rep. Eliot L. Engel, D-N.Y., is probing White House attempts to relax sanctions on Russian oligarchs. Ways and Means, under Rep. Richard E. Neal, D-Mass., may seek Trump’s tax returns, which the president has refused to release.

The investigative flurry got the president’s attention.

“PRESIDENTIAL HARASSMENT!” he roared on Twitter last week. “The Dems and their committees are going ‘nuts.’ The Republicans never did this to President Obama.” (Actually, they tried.)

Trump chiefly targeted Schiff, whom he castigated for “looking at every aspect of my life, both financial and personal, even though there is no reason to be doing so. Never happened before!”

Trump has long argued that his financial dealings and his family-run business empire should be off-limits. The special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, appears to have avoided that red line; Schiff says Congress isn’t bound by it.

“We need to know that the president is acting in our national interest and not in some family financial interest … (and) not because Russia or someone else has leverage over him,” Schiff told me.

He described his probe as “a counterintelligence investigation” to determine whether foreign regimes have undue influence over the president.

“There are a lot of disturbing allegations out there,” he said. But, like Pelosi, he argued that it’s too early to propose a resolution of impeachment.

“I think we should review the whole record before making that decision,” he said. “There’s a lot of work we need to do to flesh out the facts.”

Like Pelosi, he insisted that any move to impeach the president must have bipartisan support or it will fail.

Some Democrats are more impatient. California billionaire Tom Steyer has vowed to spend money in next year’s Democratic primaries to punish members of Congress, including committee chairs, who don’t move as quickly as he’d like.

But that’s short-sighted. An impeachment resolution now would surely backfire. It would create a zero-sum fight between the two tribes of American politics. It would make winning Republican support almost impossible — and could help re-elect Trump.

And, as Pelosi knows, it would divert attention from every other priority, from health care to climate change — the raw material for the campaign Democrats hope to wage in 2020.

For anyone rooting for impeachment, the House is already doing what it needs to do: investigating. It is putting Trump in more danger than before — something he seems to understand, judging from his frantic tweets.

Any impeachment is traumatic, but a failed impeachment can be worse. Steyer and others who want history to move faster should be careful what they wish for.

https://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news/ap/nation/doyle-mcmanus-congress-already-is-laying-the-groundwork-for-impeachment/article_0ead30da-3507-59c9-b900-ccc141b6d15a.html

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #404 on: February 14, 2019, 03:34:44 PM »
 >:(
a

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #405 on: March 06, 2019, 01:46:36 PM »
Rep. Tlaib announces plans to file impeachment resolution against Trump
rollcall ^ | March 6, 2019
Posted on 3/6/2019, 4:24:12 PM

The Michigan Democrat aims to introduce the resolution in the coming weeks.

Rep. Rashida Tlaib announced plans during a news conference Wednesday to file an impeachment resolution against President Donald Trump. The Michigan Democrat aims to introduce the resolution in the coming weeks, a staffer told Roll Call. The move will be one of the first official congressional actions concerning impeachment of the president.

“For me, as a member of Congress, it’s so important that I make sure that I check this president ... it’s really important that the president of the United States is investigated,” Tlaib told CNN.

The representative took to Twitter on Wednesday to confirm her announcement, saying “Our democracy must be protected.”

(Excerpt) Read more at rollcall.com ...

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #406 on: March 06, 2019, 04:41:33 PM »
Rep. Tlaib announces plans to file impeachment resolution against Trump
rollcall ^ | March 6, 2019
Posted on 3/6/2019, 4:24:12 PM

The Michigan Democrat aims to introduce the resolution in the coming weeks.

Rep. Rashida Tlaib announced plans during a news conference Wednesday to file an impeachment resolution against President Donald Trump. The Michigan Democrat aims to introduce the resolution in the coming weeks, a staffer told Roll Call. The move will be one of the first official congressional actions concerning impeachment of the president.

“For me, as a member of Congress, it’s so important that I make sure that I check this president ... it’s really important that the president of the United States is investigated,” Tlaib told CNN.

The representative took to Twitter on Wednesday to confirm her announcement, saying “Our democracy must be protected.”

(Excerpt) Read more at rollcall.com ...
Fucking muzzies
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #407 on: March 11, 2019, 06:10:13 PM »
‘I’m not for impeachment,’ Pelosi says, potentially roiling fellow Democrats
Mike DeBonis, Rachael Bade

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said in an interview that she opposes moving to impeach President Trump even though she believes he is “unfit” for office — her first definitive statement on the subject and one that stands to alienate members of her own Democratic Party who are intent on ousting the president.

“I’m not for impeachment,” she said in a March 6 interview conducted for a future issue of The Washington Post Magazine.

“This is news,” she added. “I haven’t said this to any press person before. But since you asked, and I’ve been thinking about this, impeachment is so divisive to the country that unless there’s something so compelling and overwhelming and bipartisan, I don’t think we should go down that path because it divides the country. And he’s just not worth it.”

Subscribe to the Post Most newsletter: Today’s most popular stories on The Washington Post

Yet, Pelosi also said that she does not believe Trump is up for the job of running the country. Asked if he was fit to be president, she countered, “Are we talking ethically? Intellectually? Politically? What are we talking here?” When a reporter said all, she said he was not.

“All of the above. No. No. I don’t think he is,” she said. “I mean, ethically unfit. Intellectually unfit. Curiosity-wise unfit. No, I don’t think he’s fit to be president of the United States.”

The apparent contradiction shows that Pelosi is well aware of the political risks of impeachment and how pursuit of the president could energize Republicans voters ahead of the 2020 election. Still, her comments will almost certainly infuriate the far-left wing of the party, which has been clamoring to begin impeachment proceedings over controversies ensnaring the Trump administration.

Most House Democrats agree that they should give the chairmen of investigative committees the space to conduct their probes before engaging in serious impeachment discussions. But Pelosi’s suggestion that she doesn’t support those moves at all because “he’s just not worth it” won’t sit well with some in her caucus.

Pelosi’s comments come one week after the House Judiciary Committee, the panel with jurisdiction over impeachment proceedings, issued document requests to more than 80 people affiliated with Trump’s administration, campaign and businesses. Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.), the chairman of the committee, called the requests the first step in a larger probe into obstruction of justice and abuses of power by the president. Meanwhile, other committees in the House are beginning probes of campaign-time contributions that Trump’s lawyer Michael Cohen made to silence women alleging affairs with the president as well as Trump’s plans to build a tower in Moscow and how he managed his private company.

Related video: Nancy Pelosi keeps throwing shade at Donald Trump (Provided by The Washington Post)

For months, Pelosi has treated the possibility of Trump’s impeachment delicately, publicly noting the need for bipartisan support and significant evidence of wrongdoing before pursuing the president’s removal.

“If and when the time comes for impeachment, it will have to be something that has such a crescendo in a bipartisan way,” she said, for instance, in a CBS News interview in early January.

She echoed that bipartisan requirement in the Post interview. However, given congressional Republicans’ unwillingness to push back on their leader in the Oval Office over the past two years, some Democrats disagree with Pelosi’s assessment that any impeachment proceedings must have support from the GOP. House Democrats, they argue, have a job to do in holding the president accountable — regardless of the GOP’s stance on impeachment.

Pelosi has, at times, referenced the failed 1998 impeachment of President Bill Clinton by congressional Republicans as a formative experience in her thinking — an argument she renewed in the interview.

“There was no question that was that was horrible for the country. It was unnecessary and the rest,” she said. “But in terms of where we are, as Thomas Paine said, the times have found us. And the times have found us now. We have a very serious challenge to the Constitution of the United States in the president’s unconstitutional assault on the Constitution, on the first branch of government, the legislative branch . . . This is very serious for our country.”

Meanwhile, members of Pelosi’s caucus have been outspoken about their desire to impeach Trump. Earlier this month, Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.) marched on Capitol Hill with impeachment supporters, and Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Calif.) has discussed impeaching Trump in numerous interviews.

Two House Democrats, Reps. Al Green (Tex.) and Brad Sherman (Calif.), have already drafted articles of impeachment. Green moved in December 2017 to force the House to consider impeachment articles; the effort was killed on a 364-58 vote.

And outside the Capitol, liberal billionaire Tom Steyer has pledged to spend tens of millions of dollars on an effort to impeach Trump, forming a group called Need to Impeach that has taken out television ads and constructed a grass-roots network to push the issue. Steyer has also vowed to target the chairmen of House panels investigating the president to ensure they do their job, as his organization has said.

“He’s brought us to the brink of nuclear war,” Steyer said in one nationally televised ad. “He’s obstructed justice at the FBI. And in direct violation of the Constitution, he’s taken money from foreign governments and threatened to shut down news organizations that report the truth. If this is not a case for impeaching and removing a dangerous president, then what has our government become?”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/im-not-for-impeachment-pelosi-says-potentially-roiling-fellow-democrats/ar-BBUDZTQ

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #408 on: March 11, 2019, 06:21:34 PM »
Translated: Mueller ain't got shit, we can't find shit, we've wasted millions of taxpayers dollars and I need to quit doing that far enough out from the 2020 election for the public to not remember that us demoncrats are useless fucks that waste their money!
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #409 on: March 11, 2019, 06:36:25 PM »
Translated: Mueller ain't got shit, we can't find shit, we've wasted millions of taxpayers dollars and I need to quit doing that far enough out from the 2020 election for the public to not remember that us demoncrats are useless fucks that waste their money!

Pretty much.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #410 on: March 11, 2019, 08:56:48 PM »
I agree with her. Unless it is clear cut, don't even bother.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #411 on: April 22, 2019, 06:57:14 PM »
Dem leaders reject immediate impeachment proceedings in urgent conference call
By Gregg Re | Fox News
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/pelosi-holds-urgent-conference-call-as-dems-scramble-to-fix-brewing-fracture-on-impeachment

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #412 on: May 27, 2019, 11:36:14 PM »
Senate GOP vows to quickly quash any impeachment charges
BY ALEXANDER BOLTON - 05/27/19
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/445512-senate-gop-pledges-to-quickly-quash-any-trump-impeachment-charges

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #413 on: May 30, 2019, 04:48:33 AM »
So you hope.
Hope? What other information did he provide or is going to considering he is not going to speak on it anymore according to him.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #414 on: May 30, 2019, 11:22:32 AM »
One problem with impeachment is that it will make him in a sympathetic martyr, which will induce more people to cast their pity vote for him in 2020 or 2024.

And the main problem with impeachment is President Trump hasn't committed an impeachable offense.  In addition to the fact the Senate will never remove him based on the current partisan witch hunt. 

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #415 on: May 30, 2019, 05:31:11 PM »
So you hope.
???
Mueller quit, walked away, closed the doors to the building, shut it down, vamoosed, split, assed out, retired, had enough, couldn't do it anymore. He's finished. Do you think he's holding onto the "aha!" evidence for a later date ???
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #416 on: May 31, 2019, 08:30:14 AM »
What do you consider an impeachable offense?

Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.

I can tell you what it's not:  a president who cooperates with and does nothing to impede a sham investigation into a stupid invented conspiracy theory, where that investigation is not deprived of any resources whatsoever to complete its investigation, and when that investigation ultimately clears the president. 

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #417 on: May 31, 2019, 09:43:43 AM »
Mueller's assignment was done. No doubt he's ready to move on. Maybe the evidence you speak of is in his heavily redacted report. When trump is done, Barr will be gone too.
Now it's heavily redacted? Lol
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #418 on: May 31, 2019, 09:50:41 AM »
Mueller's assignment was done. No doubt he's ready to move on. Maybe the evidence you speak of is in his heavily redacted report. When trump is done, Barr will be gone too.

Now it's heavily redacted? Lol

False.  About 7 percent of the report is redacted.  And the entire report is available for members of Congress to review. 

https://www.vox.com/2019/4/19/18485535/mueller-report-redactions-data-chart

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #419 on: May 31, 2019, 09:53:51 AM »
Date of Issuance:
Monday, October 16, 2000

Headnotes:
The indictment or criminal prosecution of a sitting President would unconstitutionally undermine the capacity of the executive branch to perform its constitutionally assigned functions.

Attachment:
https://www.justice.gov/sites/default/files/olc/opinions/2000/10/31/op-olc-v024-p0222_0.pdf

US Department of Justice - A SITTING PRESIDENT’S AMENABILITY TO INDICTMENT AND CRIMINAL PROSECUTION
https://www.justice.gov/olc/opinion/sitting-president%E2%80%99s-amenability-indictment-and-criminal-prosecution

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #420 on: May 31, 2019, 10:25:58 AM »
Date of Issuance:
Monday, October 16, 2000

Headnotes:
The indictment or criminal prosecution of a sitting President would unconstitutionally undermine the capacity of the executive branch to perform its constitutionally assigned functions.

Attachment:
https://www.justice.gov/sites/default/files/olc/opinions/2000/10/31/op-olc-v024-p0222_0.pdf

US Department of Justice - A SITTING PRESIDENT’S AMENABILITY TO INDICTMENT AND CRIMINAL PROSECUTION
https://www.justice.gov/olc/opinion/sitting-president%E2%80%99s-amenability-indictment-and-criminal-prosecution

Important note:  these opinions do not prevent the investigation of a POTUS or recommending criminal charges, which is what Mueller could have done, but didn't have the stones (or the evidence) to do.  

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #421 on: May 31, 2019, 10:27:48 AM »
False.  About 7 percent of the report is redacted.  And the entire report is available for members of Congress to review. 

https://www.vox.com/2019/4/19/18485535/mueller-report-redactions-data-chart

Mueller literally said in his press conference that it wasn't heavily redacted so where he is getting that from is based on listening to sources that are simply continuing to push a lie for those who are easily duped.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #422 on: May 31, 2019, 10:48:28 AM »
Mueller literally said in his press conference that it wasn't heavily redacted so where he is getting that from is based on listening to sources that are simply continuing to push a lie for those who are easily duped.

Prime suffers from Trump Derangement Syndrome.  He has lots of company. 

Board_SHERIF

• Getbig V
  • UK Independence Party
« Reply #423 on: May 31, 2019, 04:18:19 PM »
???
Mueller quit, walked away, closed the doors to the building, shut it down, vamoosed, split, assed out, retired, had enough, couldn't do it anymore. He's finished. Do you think he's holding onto the "aha!" evidence for a later date ???

that would be a criminal offense  :)
K

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #424 on: May 31, 2019, 08:54:12 PM »
Except that the final report doesn't clear Trump.

No it doesn't but Mueller left it to Congress to do "the right thing" and we both know that aint happening