Author Topic: My next challenge  (Read 8022 times)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Re: My next challenge
« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2015, 09:09:45 PM »
I still can't think of a successful HS or college program that change because of a study. CIF states we have 18 total hours from weight room to field work and practice in a week. NCAA has 20 hrs. Gotta get it done when you can. Not saying the studies are not valid just saying no program that I can think of would take that into consideration.

Of course they would not take it into consideration because they care more about getting it all done and winning, than the short and long term effects of a sleep deprived body. The evidence is indisputable (unlike global warming) regarding teenagers and sleep.

School systems do not want to change. Ive worked with enough elementary, junior high and high schools to know they do not want to change. They have their agenda and are sticking with it. Plain and simple. It takes DRASTIC measures to change any school curriculum or system. They are embedded in their old routines. As I stated, there have been quite a few schools who have started later and have seen great success. Its not that school systems do not believe the data is true; they are just too lazy to have to revamp the whole system.

Although the schools may be successful, there may possibly be long-term effects on students. If kids are going to bed later, and are expecting to wake up very early, this is not good. There is lasting physical affects to a sleep deprived body over time. Most schools can still be successful with a later start time. Again, they just don't want to revamp their system.

I mean, you dont even need to be a scientist to figure it out. Children and babies go to sleep EARLY. As teenagers get older, they go to bed later. I mean, when I grew up in the 90's, I didnt have a computer or cell phone, and I still went to bed much later than when I was 7 years old.

This is from the National Sleep Foundation:

Adolescents today face a widespread chronic health problem: sleep deprivation. Although society often views sleep as a luxury that ambitious or active people cannot afford, research shows that getting enough sleep is a biological necessity, as important to good health as eating well or exercising. Teens are among those least likely to get enough sleep; while they need on average 9 1/4 hours of sleep per night for optimal performance, health and brain development, teens average fewer than 7 hours per school night by the end of high school, and most report feeling tired during the day (Wolfson & Carskadon, 1998). The roots of the problem include poor teen sleep habits that do not allow for enough hours of quality sleep; hectic schedules with afterschool activities and jobs, homework hours and family obligations; and a clash between societal demands, such as early school start times, and biological changes that put most teens on a later sleep-wake clock.

https://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-news/backgrounder-later-school-start-times
X

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2015, 09:18:55 PM »
I still can't think of a successful HS or college program that change because of a study.

Really?  The 20 hour rule came about as a result of a study.  Please tell us random getbiggers aren't more well-versed on study influence on university policy than you?

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/NCAANewsArchive/2006/Editorial/time+to+be+candid+about+20-hour+rule+-+1-2-06+ncaa+news.html

Set It Up

• Getbig V
  • London--March 22-31
« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2015, 09:24:01 PM »
I knew you fucking idiots would turn this into another one of your fucking stupid political rants. Assholes. So does debating politics make .00000000000001% of a difference in the world of politics? No. 100 thousand posts wasted on waste

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2015, 09:44:39 PM »
Really?  The 20 hour rule came about as a result of a study.  Please tell us random getbiggers aren't more well-versed on study influence on university policy than you?

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/NCAANewsArchive/2006/Editorial/time+to+be+candid+about+20-hour+rule+-+1-2-06+ncaa+news.html

Dude. The bottom line of this study of this is the same as it's always been since its inception. Academics before athletics. It's no secret. Hope that helped.

Set It Up

• Getbig V
  • London--March 22-31
« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2015, 09:51:18 PM »
I knew you fucking idiots would turn this into another one of your fucking stupid political rants. Assholes. So does debating politics make .00000000000001% of a difference in the world of politics? No. 100 thousand posts wasted on waste

holy fucking meltdown  ::)

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2015, 09:51:58 PM »
No one should be up that early unless it's still last night's party, driving to morning surf, or waiting for the jailer to kick ya loose.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2015, 09:53:40 PM »
I still can't think of a successful HS or college program that change because of a study.

nothing about headgear, concussion policies changing because of studies either, huh?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2015, 10:23:14 PM »
nothing about headgear, concussion policies changing because of studies either, huh?

Wtf does that have to do with this discussion? Nothing. That's what I thought.

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2015, 10:29:21 PM »

holy fucking meltdown  ::)

You're right though.

Only getbig takes a legit conversation and people trying to understand what's going on and make it politics.

Ridiculous.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2015, 11:00:11 PM »
32 people is low, no? And the numbers go down as the practices increase.

Anyway, what steroids are you gonna have them use and why?
?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2015, 11:09:19 PM »
32 people is low, no? And the numbers go down as the practices increase.

Anyway, what steroids are you gonna have them use and why?

Actually this time of the year it's kind of high. My afternoon was out skills player that added an additional 19. At At this time many of the football athletes have in other sports.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2015, 04:51:21 AM »
Actually this time of the year it's kind of high. My afternoon was out skills player that added an additional 19. At At this time many of the football athletes have in other sports.

Your next challenge should be trying to hit a golf ball straight.

spiro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #87 on: December 01, 2015, 08:06:35 AM »
We use to get up 3 days a week at 500 am for college football to run and do plymoetrics in the off season. We all fucking hated the strength and conditioning coach for it. He was a real dick head. We all absolutely dreaded it. Only good thing you get it over with and if we didn't have class we would eat and go back to sleep.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2015, 08:10:44 AM »
They always do, usually 240 takes a political pot shot and kicks it off. Ruins alot of threads.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Fuzzy Nuts

« Reply #89 on: December 01, 2015, 11:07:11 AM »
Wtf does that have to do with this discussion? Nothing. That's what I thought.
You ignore studies and science once again. Lifetime recipe for failure.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2015, 01:19:34 PM »
They always do, usually 240 takes a political pot shot and kicks it off. Ruins alot of threads.

When it comes to starting shitty threads about politics, Coach is the true 'winner' with his baseless statements.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2015, 02:56:35 PM »
Good luck with this new opportunity, Coach. I wonder if this could lead to bigger and better things down the road.

Would you be interested in an offer to be a college strength coach?

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #92 on: December 01, 2015, 04:14:35 PM »
When it comes to starting shitty threads about politics, Coach is the true 'winner' with his baseless statements.
talking of shit ..you are just that shit

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #93 on: December 01, 2015, 04:29:11 PM »
Of course they would not take it into consideration because they care more about getting it all done and winning, than the short and long term effects of a sleep deprived body. The evidence is indisputable (unlike global warming) regarding teenagers and sleep.

School systems do not want to change. Ive worked with enough elementary, junior high and high schools to know they do not want to change. They have their agenda and are sticking with it. Plain and simple. It takes DRASTIC measures to change any school curriculum or system. They are embedded in their old routines. As I stated, there have been quite a few schools who have started later and have seen great success. Its not that school systems do not believe the data is true; they are just too lazy to have to revamp the whole system.

Although the schools may be successful, there may possibly be long-term effects on students. If kids are going to bed later, and are expecting to wake up very early, this is not good. There is lasting physical affects to a sleep deprived body over time. Most schools can still be successful with a later start time. Again, they just don't want to revamp their system.

I mean, you dont even need to be a scientist to figure it out. Children and babies go to sleep EARLY. As teenagers get older, they go to bed later. I mean, when I grew up in the 90's, I didnt have a computer or cell phone, and I still went to bed much later than when I was 7 years old.

This is from the National Sleep Foundation:

Adolescents today face a widespread chronic health problem: sleep deprivation. Although society often views sleep as a luxury that ambitious or active people cannot afford, research shows that getting enough sleep is a biological necessity, as important to good health as eating well or exercising. Teens are among those least likely to get enough sleep; while they need on average 9 1/4 hours of sleep per night for optimal performance, health and brain development, teens average fewer than 7 hours per school night by the end of high school, and most report feeling tired during the day (Wolfson & Carskadon, 1998). The roots of the problem include poor teen sleep habits that do not allow for enough hours of quality sleep; hectic schedules with afterschool activities and jobs, homework hours and family obligations; and a clash between societal demands, such as early school start times, and biological changes that put most teens on a later sleep-wake clock.

https://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-news/backgrounder-later-school-start-times

I have seen all that research and it completely fits - I was and still am a night owl - but you gotta suck up some shit. Give kids (esp teens) an inch and they will take a mile. We had an 8.50am start in secondary school, much beyond 11am and you're encouraging them to stay up til 3am snapchatting dickpics though.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #94 on: December 01, 2015, 05:32:33 PM »
I have seen all that research and it completely fits - I was and still am a night owl - but you gotta suck up some shit. Give kids (esp teens) an inch and they will take a mile. We had an 8.50am start in secondary school, much beyond 11am and you're encouraging them to stay up til 3am snapchatting dickpics though.

MANY school districts already have started to implement a later start time and its been highly successful.

Its not encouraging them to do anything. Their bodies will not allow them to fall asleep at a "normal" time due to a decrease in melatonin. If melatonin is not present or is not present until a later start time, you will not fall asleep. This is a biological fact. You can't fight the natural processes of the body.

Again, many schools have already implemented this and have found great results. Do the research.
X

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2015, 05:35:03 PM »
MANY school districts already have started to implement a later start time and its been highly successful.
Can you post the links to these double blind studies and their placebos?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #96 on: December 01, 2015, 05:37:35 PM »
Can you post the links to these double blind studies and their placebos?

Sure:

Examining the Impact of Later High School Start Times on the Health and Academic Performance of High School Students: A Multi-Site Study
Final Report
February 2014

Kyla L. Wahlstrom, Ph.D.
Project Director/ Lead Investigator
Research

Research Team/Report Authors
Kyla L. Wahlstrom, PhD, Principal Investigator
Beverly J. Dretzke, PhD, Research Associate
Molly F. Gordon, PhD, Research Associate
Kristin Peterson, MA, Research Fellow
Katherine Edwards, BA, Research Assistant
Julie Gdula, MA, Research Assistant

Major findings: The results from this three-year research study, conducted with over 9,000 students in eight public high schools in three states, reveal that high schools that start at 8:30 AM or later allow for more than 60% of students to obtain at least eight hours of sleep per school night. Teens getting less than eight hours of sleep reported significantly higher depression symptoms, greater use of caffeine, and are at greater risk for making poor choices for substance use. Academic performance outcomes, including grades earned in core subject areas of math, English, science and social studies, plus performance on state and national achievement tests, attendance rates and reduced tardiness show significantly positive improvement with the later start times of 8:35 AM or later. Finally, the number of car crashes for teen drivers from 16 to 18 years of age was significantly reduced by 70% when a school shifted start times from 7:35 AM to 8:55 AM.
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #97 on: December 01, 2015, 05:39:34 PM »

Who said anything about an 11am start time?

Look above. School start time went from 7:35 to 8:55, and they found a difference.
X

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2015, 06:00:39 PM »
Who said anything about an 11am start time, dingus?

Look above. School start time went from 7:35 to 8:55, and they found a difference.

The 8.55am study was posted after I posted dickbreath.

You look slightly higher above.

Like I said, we had 8.50am start time which was reasonable, I can see anything up to 10am as reasonable. Beyond that and you give too much leeway for hijinx. It was a cu nt for me adapting back to school routine after summer or Christmas holidays cos of being a night owl but it is what it is. I have to be up early for a big pay day tomorrow morning and it is 2am here... can't sleep so why try.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2015, 06:03:18 PM »
Sure:

Examining the Impact of Later High School Start Times on the Health and Academic Performance of High School Students: A Multi-Site Study
Final Report
February 2014

Kyla L. Wahlstrom, Ph.D.
Project Director/ Lead Investigator
Research

Research Team/Report Authors
Kyla L. Wahlstrom, PhD, Principal Investigator
Beverly J. Dretzke, PhD, Research Associate
Molly F. Gordon, PhD, Research Associate
Kristin Peterson, MA, Research Fellow
Katherine Edwards, BA, Research Assistant
Julie Gdula, MA, Research Assistant

Major findings: The results from this three-year research study, conducted with over 9,000 students in eight public high schools in three states, reveal that high schools that start at 8:30 AM or later allow for more than 60% of students to obtain at least eight hours of sleep per school night. Teens getting less than eight hours of sleep reported significantly higher depression symptoms, greater use of caffeine, and are at greater risk for making poor choices for substance use. Academic performance outcomes, including grades earned in core subject areas of math, English, science and social studies, plus performance on state and national achievement tests, attendance rates and reduced tardiness show significantly positive improvement with the later start times of 8:35 AM or later. Finally, the number of car crashes for teen drivers from 16 to 18 years of age was significantly reduced by 70% when a school shifted start times from 7:35 AM to 8:55 AM.
Sounds to me like parents need to put their kids to bed earlier.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!