Author Topic: What is everyone using to view movies now?  (Read 1984 times)

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
What is everyone using to view movies now?
« on: January 29, 2014, 10:12:39 AM »
Blockbuster went kaput and there went my DVDs by mail.  They do have streaming through their On Demand service, but my tv isn't on their list of ones that is included and I can't download the app for it.  (Went online and saw I was only one in several million with the same problem)

Netflix is ok for $6 a month, mostly tv shows, but never any new released movies.

Vudu is a bit better with the selections but tv shows are $1.99-$2.99 and movies are higher.  $14.99-$22.99 depending on how new they are and recently released.

Advice?

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
Re: What is everyone using to view movies now?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 10:14:05 AM »
RedBox, HBOGO, NETFLIX, AMAZON PRIME , Xvideos.com

and the regular purchasing of BluRays when on sale

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 10:14:45 AM »
Usually use a tv

Spike

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Kill your ego
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 10:15:45 AM »
Bit torrents

Everything is free and I watch stuff that's in the theaters now at home

Megalodon

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 10:17:01 AM »
Combo Netflix online and dvds by mail. Netflix online does have a few new releases.

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 10:20:10 AM »
I've been using my eyeballs. I find I get an excellent 3D image with them. Very HD.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 10:20:32 AM »

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 10:21:04 AM »
Xbmc, all up to date movies are legit copies or screeners no shitty cam copies. Over 2 million films/tv shows are available to stream. You can download it on most platforms, i am using an android smart tv box.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 10:23:20 AM »
Xbmc, all up to date movies are legit copies or screeners no shitty cam copies. Over 2 million films/tv shows are available to stream. You can download it on most platforms, i am using an android smart tv box.

I'm ashamed to say that I work in IT but don't quite get what XBMC is. Heard about it a lot. Do you pay for streaming? Must do cause where else do you find 2mil legal?

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 10:33:34 AM »
No payment unless you need to buy something to install it on.
Look up xbmc on wikipedia it explains everything.

I'm ashamed to say that I work in IT but don't quite get what XBMC is. Heard about it a lot. Do you pay for streaming? Must do cause where else do you find 2mil legal?

dustin

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 10:35:03 AM »
I just download movies through bit torrent (IP torrents, Torrent Day, etc), use Plex to broadcast them to my TV or Android devices.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 10:38:15 AM »
Hampster.com

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 10:39:04 AM »
No payment unless you need to buy something to install it on.
Look up xbmc on wikipedia it explains everything.

But I assume you still need to run your cables if your main PC is in another room? I can't see 1080p running too well over a wifi network if the router sits upstairs

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 10:39:44 AM »

Have xbmc on 12 tvs\devices in my house, its the best media centre out there.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 10:40:18 AM »
I always used piratesbay.

beverast

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2014, 10:43:13 AM »
Torrent movies/shows in 720p/1080p, put them on my external USB drive, hook it up to my TV, and enjoy it on there.

dustin

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2014, 10:43:36 AM »
But I assume you still need to run your cables if your main PC is in another room? I can't see 1080p running too well over a wifi network if the router sits upstairs

You can use wireless but anything hardwired will always be better.

Buy a powerline adapter. They're awesome devices. I used to use one before I put ethernet wiring in my home. You just plug one end of the adapter into a power outlet and run an ethernet cable to your router, then in the other spot in your home you'd plug an adjacent adapter and run the ethernet there to your TV, BluRay player, DLNA device, etc.

I have a few Android devices like an Ouya that I have Plex and Netflix on, as well as XBMC. I've also got a Raspberri Pi with XBMC on it. XBMC works really well and you can throw it on just about any electronic device. Even my wife knows how to use it without any trouble so it's pretty nifty.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2014, 10:44:43 AM »
I plan on watching these on the big tv.... crap from piratebay never has a super sharp picture to it.

I don't care to hook my PC or laptop into the tv every time I want to watch a movie.

Uggg...

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 10:46:37 AM »
You can use wireless but anything hardwired will always be better.

Buy a powerline adapter. They're awesome devices. I used to use one before I put ethernet wiring in my home. You just plug one end of the adapter into a power outlet and run an ethernet cable to your router, then in the other spot in your home you'd plug an adjacent adapter and run the ethernet there to your TV, BluRay player, DLNA device, etc.

I have a few Android devices like an Ouya that I have Plex and Netflix on, as well as XBMC. I've also got a Raspberri Pi with XBMC on it. XBMC works really well and you can throw it on just about any electronic device. Even my wife knows how to use it without any trouble so it's pretty nifty.

Nice one. I'll give it a go when I move into my new place.

Playing around wiht XBMC now. Pretty cool UI

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2014, 10:47:18 AM »
I plan on watching these on the big tv.... crap from piratebay never has a super sharp picture to it.

I don't care to hook my PC or laptop into the tv every time I want to watch a movie.

Uggg...

Off course it doesn't if you download Xvid rips or CAM crap. Download a proper BluRay copy

dustin

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2014, 10:57:47 AM »
Off course it doesn't if you download Xvid rips or CAM crap. Download a proper BluRay copy

Yeah, I became such a spoiled elitist. In the rare event where I download what I think is a 1080p BluRay and the file is actually an Xvid rip or CAM I absolutely flip my shit and freak out. It doesn't happen often when you download from reputable sources, but it happens every now and again. ;D

Can't stand watching CAM recordings and shitty DVD rips. Is this not 2014? Do we not have running water? Should we just start drinking out of the toilet and smearing our shit all over the place!? Maybe I'm a little dramatic.... lol

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2014, 11:06:22 AM »

Uggg...

Dude -- buy this on sale for $25

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/112858/amazon---google-chromecast-wireless-hdmi-streaming-dongle
Y

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2014, 11:15:44 AM »
As mentioned there is no crap copies on xbmc, sometimes you might come across a broken link  and that's about the worse of it. Its all sorted into categories and genres too for Easy navigation.
At the moment there is perfect copies of lone soldier and 12 years a slave, They've been on there a few weeks already 2 movies not even released in the uk yet.
Is always recommend using ethernet cable over wireless to ensure continuous playback though I've had no troubles myself

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2014, 11:26:53 AM »
50 inch hi-def flatscreen is best. not too small not taking up half a wall. just right. ::) ::) ::)
F

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2014, 11:29:18 AM »
Red box + handbrake + bittorrent == infinity