Author Topic: Tennessee atheists win right to distribute literature after schools give Bibles  (Read 90586 times)

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
How can an entire book be out of context with the book itself? 

If you think it's nonsensical then don't read it. 

Have you seen the contradictions in the bible? There are many.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Have you seen the contradictions in the bible? There are many.

Not really.  If you put things in the proper context, and use common sense, it's consistent. 

There are some things I don't agree with, but not because they contradict other parts of the book.

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
Not really.  If you put things in the proper context, and use common sense, it's consistent. 

There are some things I don't agree with, but not because they contradict other parts of the book.

There are many.

You say what you want.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
There are many.

You say what you want.

I just did.

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
I just did.

That doesn't make you right.

Which you aren't.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
That doesn't make you right.

Which you aren't.

It's my opinion.  You're entitled to your own.  I don't care about being "right."   

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
It's my opinion.  You're entitled to your own.  I don't care about being "right."   

That's the problem with most religious types. They don't care about being right or being wrong.

They just follow whatever some book or religious person tells them.

Shameful.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Not really.  If you put things in the proper context, and use common sense, it's consistent.  

There are multiple creation stories in the book that contradict each other.

What's the common sense explanation for that?

Was Jesus drunk when he wrote it?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
That's the problem with most religious types. They don't care about being right or being wrong.

Shameful.

Oh brother.  This makes zero sense.  The only thing that matters is whether I believe in my convictions.  I don't give a rip if what I believe makes sense to you or anyone else, or whether you think my beliefs are right or wrong.   

I use my own common sense, have my own convictions, make my own decisions.  And I'm not burdened by some irrational anti-religious extremism.  It's a much easier life than running around arguing and complaining about something I don't believe exists. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Oh brother.  This makes zero sense.  The only thing that matters is whether I believe in my convictions.  I don't give a rip if what I believe makes sense to you or anyone else, or  whether you think my beliefs are right or wrong.   

I use my own common sense, have my own convictions, make my own decisions.  And I'm not burdened by some irrational anti-religious extremism.  It's a much easier life than running around arguing and complaining about something I don't believe exists. 

Yet you have no problem saying that other Christians beliefs are wrong if they are not consistent with yours.

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
Oh brother.  This makes zero sense.  The only thing that matters is whether I believe in my convictions.  I don't give a rip if what I believe makes sense to you or anyone else, or whether you think my beliefs are right or wrong.   

Burdened? Who is burdened? It's the exact opposite.

Doing what is right because it's the right thing to do and not because some imaginary omnipotent being is going to punish me is hardly burdened.

If you believe people only do right because they believe in some eternal damnation, then that is the burden, not my way.

If you didn't "give a rip", then you wouldn't continue to respond in this way. You obviously care, you will just say you don't.

It's like the kids on Facebook who says that they don't care what people think, just to make a statement to THOSE people...

What is the most hilarious of this is that I didn't say "you", but you obviously took it personally... so someone (you) must care.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Burdened? Who is burdened? It's the exact opposite.

Doing what is right because it's the right thing to do and not because some imaginary omnipotent being is going to punish me is hardly burdened.

If you believe people only do right because they believe in some eternal damnation, then that is the burden, not my way.

If you didn't "give a rip", then you wouldn't continue to respond in this way. You obviously care, you will just say you don't.

It's like the kids on Facebook who says that they don't care what people think, just to make a statement to THOSE people...

What is the most hilarious of this is that I didn't say "you", but you obviously took it personally... so someone (you) must care.

This is a pretty weak analysis.  I'm responding because you are asking me questions.  And no, I really don't care if you think my beliefs are right or wrong.  Saying I actually do care, because I say I don't, is some of the most elementary, twisted logic I've heard.  lol   

I do the right thing, because it's the right thing to do, not because I'm afraid of some "eternal damnation."  If you have something else that drives you, then good for you. 

But like I said, you and other anti-religious extremists like you love to talk about something you don't believe exists and spend time reading a book that was inspired by something you don't believe exits.  That's retarded.   

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor

Sure...

With the proper context, it's perfectly sensible for the God of Abraham - a vengeful and angry God - to morph into Jesus's God who - out of love - chooses to send himself to die, to appease himself so that in the process his precious humans don't die to pay for the sins that they can't help committing because that's how he made them!

Consistent? Nonsense. Even basic, fundamental stuff is inconsistent. For example, are you saved through faith or works? Take your pick - you can justify either position Biblically.

So you disagree with the consistent stuff, but not the inconsistent stuff. Got it.

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
This is a pretty weak analysis.  I'm responding because you are asking me questions.  And no, I really don't care if you think my beliefs are right or wrong.  Saying I actually do care, because I say I don't, is some of the most elementary, twisted logic I've heard.  lol    

I do the right thing, because it's the right thing to do, not because I'm afraid of some "eternal damnation."  If you have something else that drives you, then good for you.  

But like I said, you and other anti-religious extremists like you love to talk about something you don't believe exists and spend time reading a book that was inspired by something you don't believe exits.  That's retarded.  

Why do you call me an "anti-religious" extremist? That is a false statement.

Have I ever denied anyone their faith? Nope.
Have I ever said that people of faith who are truly good people and are Christ-Like are a problem? Nope.

As a matter of fact, I support THOSE people.

Your analysis of me is completely faulty, and my analysis of you is actually very spot on. Again, if you don't care, you ignore and don't respond... That is not caring... Doing what you are doing and stating all of these things is the exact opposite of not caring.

As is usual, everyone sees these things but you. Then again, I expect nothing else from you.

To be clear, I didn't ask YOU anything... There are no questions in this posts:

Shameful.

Yet you continued. I guess you can't tell the difference between a statement (not directed at you) and a question.

Hell, even in this post, the questions are rhetorical because I know I'm not an extremist.

Oh brother is right.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Sure...

With the proper context, it's perfectly sensible for the God of Abraham - a vengeful and angry God - to morph into Jesus's God who - out of love - chooses to send himself to die, to appease himself so that in the process his precious humans don't die to pay for the sins that they can't help committing because that's how he made them!

Consistent? Nonsense. Even basic, fundamental stuff is inconsistent. For example, are you saved through faith or works? Take your pick - you can justify either position Biblically.

So you disagree with the consistent stuff, but not the inconsistent stuff. Got it.

Yep.  Sure is. 

I don't really want to get into a religious discussion, but if you're asking me if you are saved by faith or works, it's faith.  What happens with practicing Christians is you see "works" consistent with their faith.  Beliefs impact what people do and don't do.  So although you cannot "work" your way into being a "good" Christian, you pretty much know a practicing Christina when you see one.  It's that whole knowing the person by their fruits thing.  "Good" works are a natural manifestation of faith.   

No, I think it's consistent.  There are just some things that I disagree with, but not because they are inconsistent with other parts of the Bible. 

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !

What are they?

avxo

• Getbig V
[...] but if you're asking me if you are saved by faith or works, it's faith.

James 2:14: "What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him?"

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
What are they?

Alcohol is one.  A lot of churches believe drinking is a "sin."  I don't.  Solomon says don't do it, because you will have beer goggles, but I view that more of a recommendation than a command.  I don't drink, but not because of that common Christian teaching; it's one of the ways I part company with traditional teachings. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
James 2:14: "What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him?"

Why is it in bold? 

Ok?  And?  That's entirely consistent with what I said.  It's really impossible to have faith and not have that faith manifest itself in how you live your life.  It doesn't mean people are perfect. 

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
Alcohol is one.  A lot of churches believe drinking is a "sin."  I don't.  Solomon says don't do it, because you will have beer goggles, but I view that more of a recommendation than a command.  I don't drink, but not because of that common Christian teaching; it's one of the ways I part company with traditional teachings. 

Yes, I understand.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana

How about Thall Shall Not Kill?

avxo

• Getbig V
Why is it in bold? 

Ok?  And?  That's entirely consistent with what I said.  It's really impossible to have faith and not have that faith manifest itself in how you live your life.  It doesn't mean people are perfect. 

You're weaseling out: maybe those whose faith is "true" will do good works. But James asks a very different question. He asks "can faith alone save?" and the answer is clear: no. You suggest you're saved through faith. The plain reading of James 2:14 disagrees. So either you're wrong, or the Bible is inconsistent.

TuHolmes

• Getbig V

How about Thall Shall Not Kill?

That totally doesn't count.

Kill all those motherfuckers.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
You're weaseling out: maybe those whose faith is "true" will do good works. But James asks a very different question. He asks "can faith alone save?" and the answer is clear: no. You suggest you're saved through faith. The plain reading of James 2:14 disagrees. So either you're wrong, or the Bible is inconsistent.

Or I just think my interpretation is correct.  If you're actually going to study the Bible, you have to compare numerous verses with each other (which the Bible itself says to do).  You also need to look at context, whether it's a parable, the audience, etc.  And use your head.  It's a thinking man's game.    

avxo

• Getbig V
Or I just think my interpretation is correct.  If you're actually going to study the Bible, you have to compare numerous verses with each other (which the Bible itself says to do).  You also need to look at context, whether it's a parable, the audience, etc.  And use your head.  It's a thinking man's game.    

Well, it's easy not to have any contradictions if you "interpret" the contradiction away.