Author Topic: Was I wrong?  (Read 6731 times)

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
  • What is the most common form of stupidity?
Was I wrong?
« on: July 18, 2007, 09:34:31 AM »
Ok peeps let me set this up for you, then I need to know if I am being an asshole (like I was called) for pointing out the principle of the issue which is; I should not have to pay twice because someone else neglected their parental responsibilities.

At the beginning of the year my daughter asked if she could attend driving school (a prerequisite in Maryland if you are under 18) to get her drivers license.
I agreed to pay the cost in full $200+; this covered class room time and behind the wheel (hands on) training (10 hrs with a driving school instructor).

The only stipulation was that if you miss a scheduled hands on training session there would be a $50 fee to reschedule (for obvious reasons) and this is to be paid in full before “hands on” could resume or be rescheduled.

My X, bless her soul, caused my daughter to miss a scheduled hand on (embarrassed to say why) and she wants me to pay it! I said “HMFN, you made her miss it you pay the $50” now I know a 50 spot is nothing but it’s the principle of the matter right?

I made good on my commitment (paying the cost ($200+) and providing transportation to and from the class every night for a week), I feel the least she (the X) could do is pay for her mistakes after all the X’s tardiness was the reason my daughter missed the hands on in the first place.

Instead of agreeing to pay the $50 fee she calls me a selfish asshole, needless to say I hung up the phone before I said something that would not help the situation, then again maybe the hang up didn’t help either! Anyway, my question to you, was I wrong?
W

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Re: Was I wrong?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 09:58:21 AM »
Ok peeps let me set this up for you, then I need to know if I am being an asshole (like I was called) for pointing out the principle of the issue which is; I should not have to pay twice because someone else neglected their parental responsibilities.

At the beginning of the year my daughter asked if she could attend driving school (a prerequisite in Maryland if you are under 18) to get her drivers license.
I agreed to pay the cost in full $200+; this covered class room time and behind the wheel (hands on) training (10 hrs with a driving school instructor).

The only stipulation was that if you miss a scheduled hands on training session there would be a $50 fee to reschedule (for obvious reasons) and this is to be paid in full before “hands on” could resume or be rescheduled.

My X, bless her soul, caused my daughter to miss a scheduled hand on (embarrassed to say why) and she wants me to pay it! I said “HMFN, you made her miss it you pay the $50” now I know a 50 spot is nothing but it’s the principle of the matter right?

I made good on my commitment (paying the cost ($200+) and providing transportation to and from the class every night for a week), I feel the least she (the X) could do is pay for her mistakes after all the X’s tardiness was the reason my daughter missed the hands on in the first place.

Instead of agreeing to pay the $50 fee she calls me a selfish asshole, needless to say I hung up the phone before I said something that would not help the situation, then again maybe the hang up didn’t help either! Anyway, my question to you, was I wrong?

yes. you were wrong, ...and you were being a selfish asshole. Please consider the following:

You agreed to pay the $200 +... emphasis on the plus. ...meaning you were aware that it could be more than $200. While it was not YOUR fault, your daughter missed the class, she is the one penalized for it, ...and her training cannot continue until the additional $50 is paid. I doubt your ex would have asked you to cover it were it not a challenge for her to do so herself. Furthermore... regardless of whose fault it was that the class was missed, ...she is still your daughter. Pay the $50 and get it back from your ex at a later date. Or you can quibble and toss the $200 you already paid down the drain.

Bottom line is the classes need to resume. If you have a problem with potential additional future payouts due to your ex's tardiness, ...then take your daughter to her classes yourself. This way you know you will be on time.

Get it together with your ex-wife, settle your differences so your daughter is not the one who has to suffer for it.

ps - Your commitment is never complete so long as your daughter is alive. She's your daughter. You go the extra mile regardless. Your parental obligation does not end because your ex-wife doesn't come through. In such a case, your parental obligation only ramps up even further. Parenting is a team effort... even if both members of that team no longer live together, ...and when one team mate falls down, ...the other should be there to pick up the slack. You (meaning both you & the ex Mrs. HustleMan) have already failed her once by divorcing, ...don't fail her again by bickering with  each other over something so trivial as $50. The principle you want to be focussing on is:
"My daughter is more important than $50."

You can win the battle and lose the war, ...or you can lose a battle and win the war. The choice is yours.
w

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 10:12:31 AM »

yes. you were wrong, ...and you were being a selfish asshole. Please consider the following:

You agreed to pay the $200 +... emphasis on the plus. ...meaning you were aware that it could be more than $200. While it was not YOUR fault, your daughter missed the class, she is the one penalized for it, ...and her training cannot continue until the additional $50 is paid. I doubt your ex would have asked you to cover it were it not a challenge for her to do so herself. Furthermore... regardless of whose fault it was that the class was missed, ...she is still your daughter. Pay the $50 and get it back from your ex at a later date. Or you can quibble and toss the $200 you already paid down the drain.

Bottom line is the classes need to resume. If you have a problem with potential additional future payouts due to your ex's tardiness, ...then take your daughter to her classes yourself. This way you know you will be on time.

Get it together with your ex-wife, settle your differences so your daughter is not the one who has to suffer for it.

ps - Your commitment is never complete so long as your daughter is alive. She's your daughter. You go the extra mile regardless. Your parental obligation does not end because your ex-wife doesn't come through. In such a case, your parental obligation only ramps up even further. Parenting is a team effort... even if both members of that team no longer live together, ...and when one team mate falls down, ...the other should be there to pick up the slack. You (meaning both you & the ex Mrs. HustleMan) have already failed her once by divorcing, ...don't fail her again by bickering with  each other over something so trivial as $50. The principle you want to be focussing on is:
"My daughter is more important than $50."

You can win the battle and lose the war, ...or you can lose a battle and win the war. The choice is yours.

Jaggy the $200 + means $250 not $200 plus any additional charges e.g. late fee or penalties if you recall I paid for the class in full which means no other fee would have to be paid if all scheduled hands on training flowed  smoothly. BTW I gave my Daughter the fifty anyway so yes my daughter was more important! and I resheduled the hands on to start from my house not the X's but if you think I was wrong I will take that! It's a hard thing to deal with women! I actually thought I did the right thing lMAO!

P.S. "Pay the $50 and get it back from your ex at a later date." Yeah right you really think she will pay me back after she thinks she shouldnt have to pay the 50 now ROTFLMAO! You can't be serious?
W

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 10:15:31 AM »
No, you were not wrong.   ::)     I'm going to hazard a guess and say this is not the first time your ex has pulled something similar on you and expects you to pay.

You paid the original amount, she can pay the $50 because she incurred the fee.

Now if she is unable to pay it and you are aware of that, then for your daughter's sake you should pay the $50, she should not have to get hurt.

I agree that people should go the "extra mile" for the child's sake, but they should not be a patsy and get taken advantage of.  Why should one person always have to suck it up?   Why isn't the ex going the extra mile?

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 10:22:58 AM »
No, you were not wrong.   ::)     I'm going to hazard a guess and say this is not the first time your ex has pulled something similar on you and expects you to pay.

You paid the original amount, she can pay the $50 because she incurred the fee.

Now if she is unable to pay it and you are aware of that, then for your daughter's sake you should pay the $50, she should not have to get hurt.

I agree that people should go the "extra mile" for the child's sake, but they should not be a patsy and get taken advantage of.  Why should one person always have to suck it up?   Why isn't the ex going the extra mile?

Ty Flower! You have been accepted, you can now have a free three month membership (trial period) into the "man club" normally valued at $50.
W

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 10:34:43 AM »
Ty Flower! You have been accepted, you can now have a free three month membership (trial period) into the "man club" normally valued at $50.

LOL!!!!    It seems in a lot of divorces with kids one of the ex's is always the one who sucks it up and tries to keep the peace.  That could either be the ex wife or the ex husband. 

I think her calling you a selfish asshole showed that she is the one who expects you to keep the peace and she can do whatever?   Then you go and pay it for your childs sake (the right thing to do) and she gets away with it again!    ::)

I think that is a tough spot to be in because you don't want the child to get in the middle of it, yet you get pissed being taken advantage of.

Kids are not as unaware as people sometimes think they are, and I bet your daughter knows which parent is putting her first.  She will remember what was done for her best interests.
  ;)

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 10:38:11 AM »
Jaggy the $200 + means $250 not $200 plus any additional charges e.g. late fee or penalties if you recall I paid for the class in full which means no other fee would have to be paid if all scheduled hands on training flowed  smoothly. BTW I gave my Daughter the fifty anyway so yes my daughter was more important! and I resheduled the hands on to start from my house not the X's but if you think I was wrong I will take that! It's a hard thing to deal with women! I actually thought I did the right thing lMAO!

You did the right thing by giving your daughter the $50, and taking control of where the hands on classes start from.

P.S. "Pay the $50 and get it back from your ex at a later date." Yeah right you really think she will pay me back after she thinks she shouldnt have to pay the 50 now ROTFLMAO! You can't be serious?

I see your point. The important thing tho... is you did the right thing by your daughter, and she won't be stuck in the middle of a dispute between you and the ex.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 10:43:42 AM »

Hey, ...how come she gets a membership, ...especially when you followed my advice,
...and we're still both saying the same thing? Is it because she said you were right?

OK, you were right! (but pay the $50 bucks anyway)  ...can I have my membership now?
w

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 10:52:34 AM »
Hey, ...how come she gets a membership, ...especially when you followed my advice,
...and we're still both saying the same thing? Is it because she said you were right?

OK, you were right! (but pay the $50 bucks anyway)  ...can I have my membership now?

I will run this by the council let you know your status soon!
W

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 11:13:15 AM »
While I agree with Jags that the big picture is more important, the other man side says no way. In the grand view of things better to pay and let it go and chalk it up to being the example to your daughter of what a person should do and not what petty shit your X's does. If it helps some time down the road get a friend to slash a tire and it all equals out...:)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 11:21:25 AM »
Hustleman, you were not wrong in assuming your ex should pay the 50.00 and you did the right thing by paying the 50.00 when your ex refused.

Since it was your ex's fault (and I infer the situation was not beyond her control) she owes you money. 

Maybe you could recruit your neighbors to get the money from her  :)

R

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 11:28:40 AM »
While I agree with Jags that the big picture is more important, the other man side says no way. In the grand view of things better to pay and let it go and chalk it up to being the example to your daughter of what a person should do and not what petty shit your X's does. If it helps some time down the road get a friend to slash a tire and it all equals out...:)

Well if you include the manipulation factor I will also get the bill for the slashed tire, remember everything is my fault even the divorce (She filed not me) Now that I have moved on I am blamed for everything wrong in her life. When the Deer ate her Rose pedals, (that I gave her for her garden) I got blamed because the Hostas that I also gave her to plant attracted the Deer "Why didn't you tell me Deer loved Hosta leaves and Roses, I would have never planted them?" "Knowing you, you probably did it on purpose just so the Deer would eat them and I would never be able to enjoy them" "You're an ASSHOLE!"

I can't win no matter how hard I try!
W

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 11:30:17 AM »

You said he WAS a selfish asshole!!     ;D

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 11:35:14 AM »
Hustleman, you were not wrong in assuming your ex should pay the 50.00 and you did the right thing by paying the 50.00 when your ex refused.

Since it was your ex's fault (and I infer the situation was not beyond her control) she owes you money. 

LOL good one Stella I see everyone wants to be in the "Man Club" thanks for the advice buddy!

The council will be busy tonight!
W

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 11:36:45 AM »
the "Man Club"

Will we be required to hog the remote and scratch ourselves  ;D
R

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2007, 11:41:58 AM »
You said he WAS a selfish asshole!!     ;D

Wow I missed that Flower thanks for the proof read!

Jaggy this may have some bearing on your membership but I will make it known to the council that you did recant and offered some good advice! (sigh) we'll see what happens tonight after the vote!
W

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2007, 11:43:37 AM »
Well if you include the manipulation factor I will also get the bill for the slashed tire, remember everything is my fault even the divorce (She filed not me) Now that I have moved on I am blamed for everything wrong in her life. When the Deer ate her Rose pedals, (that I gave her for her garden) I got blamed because the Hostas that I also gave her to plant attracted the Deer "Why didn't you tell me Deer loved Hosta leaves and Roses, I would have never planted them?" "Knowing you, you probably did it on purpose just so the Deer would eat them and I would never be able to enjoy them" "You're an ASSHOLE!"

I can't win no matter how hard I try!
Sometimes you can't win. The one thing you unfortunitly have to keep in mind is all future guys your daughter dates will be based on what kind of relationship she has with you, so better to eat it so she does not turn out like her mom.

PS thats why I said have a friend do the tire trick when your with her ..no reason to blame if you albi is covered...LOL.

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2007, 11:47:14 AM »
Will we be required to hog the remote and scratch ourselves  ;D

During the "trial period" you are only allowed to scratch yourself, holding the remote and leaving your clothes around for someone else to pick up comes after the trial period!
W

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2007, 11:50:08 AM »
During the "trial period" you are only allowed to scratch yourself, holding the remote and leaving your clothes around for someone else to pick up comes after the trial period!

:D !!  CAn we forget how to change the toilet paper roll too?  And what about holding the refridgerator door open and yell "We're out of ketchup!" because we can't be bothered to move it from behind the milk?   :D
R

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2007, 11:52:21 AM »
Sometimes you can't win. The one thing you unfortunitly have to keep in mind is all future guys your daughter dates will be based on what kind of relationship she has with you, so better to eat it so she does not turn out like her mom.

PS thats why I said have a friend do the tire trick when your with her ..no reason to blame if you albi is covered...LOL.

Yes you are right about being a model for my daughter and she is watching every move I make and how I handle this very tender situation. But I don't want her thinking that I am some soft guy either I have to stand my ground or pick my battles but good advice anyway! I don't think I can be mean and do a Tony Seprano on her tires... yet! lol
W

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2007, 11:57:12 AM »
Yes you are right about being a model for my daughter and she is watching every move I make and how I handle this very tender situation. But I don't want her thinking that I am some soft guy either I have to stand my ground or pick my battles but good advice anyway! I don't think I can be mean and do a Tony Seprano on her tires... yet! lol
Think of it this way, in some quite time away with your daughter you can explain to here why you do what you do. You will always be thought stronger if you can admit to her why she is the most important person in the world and that you will always sacrifice for her alone.

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2007, 12:03:02 PM »
:D !!  CAn we forget how to change the toilet paper roll too?  And what about holding the refridgerator door open and yell "We're out of ketchup!" because we can't be bothered to move it from behind the milk?   :D

I see we have a recruit here that aspires to have the title of Grand Poobutt, slow your roll sister you have to first learn how to appear to be listening when you are not listening at all, (saying things like “is that so”, “really!” “I do understand honey”, “I can’t believe she said that either!”). This takes years of training but we'll get ya there!
W

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2007, 12:16:03 PM »

I don't have this problem though because the "Man Club" has this two day course on how to spot things stuck way back in the fridge and how to remember to refill the TP roll.

And don't forget cleaning up after a bad aim at the toilet!  The man club also has a 3 hour course on this and they sponsor a field trip to help remedy this problem with hands on training (in a simulated environment ofc) we go to the carnival and play that water gun game where you shoot water into the clowns mouth to fill up the balloon to make it pop! Awesome field trip and the training is guaranteed to cut down on bad aim, especially at night.
W

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2007, 12:51:30 PM »
 ;D

;D
R

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2007, 01:41:18 PM »

I agree with Stella.  I am sure your X was fully aware of the terms of this schooling.  If anyone is being selfish it is she as she wants to take no responsibility in this matter.  You are the better person for paying the $50 so that your daughter could go back to classes, but I would let the X know that if she can't be "responsible" enough to make sure your daughter is at class when need be, then she shouldn't be with her on the nights she would normally attend hands on class.
:D Weee