Author Topic: Sometimes, This Board Is Scary!  (Read 6230 times)

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
Re: Sometimes, This Board Is Scary!
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2008, 10:13:05 AM »
I never said don't do curls.

I said don't worry much about them until you have build a base of size and strength, which you do via squats, presses, rows, chins, etc.  A set or two of curls (any kind) a couple of times a week will do the trick quite well until you step on a stage and a judge tells you to bring your biceps up.

But to go from 14 inches to 17, you really don't need to worry about them. 

i'm not sure i agree with these two parts. the first because most people have no intentions of competing and so their desire for big arms isn't their balance while in the posing trunks (thus something like "legs" may get neglected), but that's a minor point.

as for 14 to 17 without curls? bullshit unless you're a freak of nature. it took me a few years of scraping to break the 17" barrier and that was pounding my arms from all angles. these days they're around 18" and that's with an absolute shit-ton of tricep work.

pjs

• Getbig II
  • As I am
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2008, 12:24:44 PM »
i'm not sure i agree with these two parts. the first because most people have no intentions of competing and so their desire for big arms isn't their balance while in the posing trunks (thus something like "legs" may get neglected), but that's a minor point.

as for 14 to 17 without curls? bullshit unless you're a freak of nature. it took me a few years of scraping to break the 17" barrier and that was pounding my arms from all angles. these days they're around 18" and that's with an absolute shit-ton of tricep work.

I'm the opposite.  I gained a bunch of muscle doing almost no direct arm work, and they blew up.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2008, 06:39:26 PM »
I'm the opposite.  I gained a bunch of muscle doing almost no direct arm work, and they blew up.

then i definitely envy you man. i don't think many people can say the same. it's like thinking you'll get enough hamstring development just from heavy rows and deadlifts, or that your shoulders will be fine just from presses. it might work for a few, but i doubt everyone'll be in the same boat.

JackCheze

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2008, 06:41:23 PM »
Too many workouts get posted where there is too much work being listed for smaller muscle groups while big ones are ignored.

I see too many back/bi workouts where there's a couple of sets of chins, rows and then standing bb curls, preacher curls, alt curls, concentration curls, 21's

I gained a lot of strength and got past 17" with like 3 sets of standing bb's AFTER  beating the snot out of my back, and it didn't take me all that long. Yes, a lot of it had to do with the tris and that was from heavy bench and dips.

pjs

• Getbig II
  • As I am
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2008, 07:27:15 PM »
Which gets me back to the point of what I'm usually saying:

Your arms get bigger as you get bigger.

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2008, 11:45:38 PM »

don't let this pathetic troll bait you, magoo.  I agree with what you say.  My arms sit at a tiny bit under 20" even today (I usually say 19.5 because that's what they are if I pull the tape measure pretty tight).  I got legit 17.5" arms within 1.5 years of lifting.  It took me another 2 or so years to break 18".  Then it took another few years to break 19".  Going from 19" to around 20" took less than two years.  All this time, I was pumping the hell outta those suckers with heavy hammers, standing E-Z/BB curls, and concentration curls, plus tons of benching, tricep extensions/pushdowns...you name it, I did it.  But it takes a LOT of direct work to get big arms.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2008, 02:24:48 PM »
don't let this pathetic troll bait you, magoo.  I agree with what you say.  My arms sit at a tiny bit under 20" even today (I usually say 19.5 because that's what they are if I pull the tape measure pretty tight).  I got legit 17.5" arms within 1.5 years of lifting.  It took me another 2 or so years to break 18".  Then it took another few years to break 19".  Going from 19" to around 20" took less than two years.  All this time, I was pumping the hell outta those suckers with heavy hammers, standing E-Z/BB curls, and concentration curls, plus tons of benching, tricep extensions/pushdowns...you name it, I did it.  But it takes a LOT of direct work to get big arms.

yes, but you're ALSO a freak of nature, you big bastard.  >:(

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2008, 04:05:29 PM »

exactly.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2008, 04:55:21 PM »

your dog looks like he's a real asshole

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2008, 07:10:38 PM »
your dog looks like he's a real asshole

And if anyone would know about assholes, it's Geo!
Ron: "I am lazy."

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2008, 08:58:27 PM »

And if anyone would know about assholes, it's Geo!

that's MISTER asshole to you "sugar britch's"

pjs

• Getbig II
  • As I am
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2008, 07:38:31 PM »
Hi Geo!

Still got that cat?

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2008, 09:48:47 PM »
Hi Geo!

Still got that cat?

no...I had to put that one down 3 years ago,got a new one but she's really not as good as the one you saw in that pic

pjs

• Getbig II
  • As I am
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2008, 12:08:20 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that - they really are part of the family.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2008, 12:18:32 PM »
I need some advices! Where are you "untamedsenses"?