Author Topic: Justin Gatlin  (Read 8717 times)

dorkeroo

• Getbig IV
  • I need steroids for the brain.
Justin Gatlin
« on: May 12, 2006, 10:27:03 AM »
Hey there, all you Americans, your guy Justin Gatlin just broke the 100m world record I have been told (9.76s). Congrats :) with all the negative press so many of your top athletes have been getting, hopefully this is a good start to something better maybe.

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
Re: Justin Gatlin
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 10:28:36 AM »
Hey there, all you Americans, your guy Justin Gatlin just broke the 100m world record I have been told (9.76s). Congrats :) with all the negative press so many of your top athletes have been getting, hopefully this is a good start to something better maybe.

Where did this happen? Please give me the details! :o

dorkeroo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 10:29:48 AM »
Well if you google his name, he ran his heat today in 9.85s, and apparently the final was jut run and he ran 9.76s. In Doha or something.
http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2006-05-12T171824Z_01_L12235809_RTRUKOC_0_US-ATHLETICS-QATAR-RECORD.xml&archived=False

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 10:33:22 AM »
Well if you google his name, he ran his heat today in 9.85s, and apparently the final was jut run and he ran 9.76s. In Doha or something.
http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2006-05-12T171824Z_01_L12235809_RTRUKOC_0_US-ATHLETICS-QATAR-RECORD.xml&archived=False

Awesome! USA! USA! USA!........

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 10:34:57 AM »
europe!europe!europe!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 10:40:11 AM »
Well that is great for the US.  Until they do a drug test and they find roids.  Then it will be another black eye for us.

Stavios

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 10:41:07 AM »
our canadian athletes kick your ass  8)

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 10:42:38 AM »

It was amazing the year Donovan Bailey won! It was estimated that he reached the highest peak speed of any Olympic athlete ever! :o

dorkeroo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006, 10:42:45 AM »
Well that is great for the US.  Until they do a drug test and they find roids.  Then it will be another black eye for us.

Well I was ten when Ben Johnson was caught up here and it was devastating to me then. I hope nothing bad comes of this, athletes are role models and I hope that this doesn't go the same way Ben's and Montgomery's stories have gone.

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2006, 10:43:45 AM »

yeah in curling ::)

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2006, 10:46:28 AM »
Well I was ten when Ben Johnson was caught up here and it was devastating to me then. I hope nothing bad comes of this, athletes are role models and I hope that this doesn't go the same way Ben's and Montgomery's stories have gone.

Imagine the times that Johnson would have put up if he had not been caught. He was so far ahead of his time! :o

dorkeroo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2006, 10:53:42 AM »
Imagine the times that Johnson would have put up if he had not been caught. He was so far ahead of his time! :o

Actually a lot has been postulated regarding that. I am not sure what he was ultimately capable of, and we will never know, however, I do agree with you that he was very far ahead of his time.

An interesting thing about Big Ben as he was called, was his start. Well it worked like crazy for him, but was not orthodox in so far as technique was concerned. Apparently it involved almost jumping with both feet off the blocks or something like that.

Anyways, huge numbers of sprinters the world over were apparently lost trying to emulate Ben's start style. That all ended after Seoul though. A good book about all that is Speed Trap by Charlie Francis, Ben's old coach.

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2006, 10:55:45 AM »
Actually a lot has been postulated regarding that. I am not sure what he was ultimately capable of, and we will never know, however, I do agree with you that he was very far ahead of his time.

An interesting thing about Big Ben as he was called, was his start. Well it worked like crazy for him, but was not orthodox in so far as technique was concerned. Apparently it involved almost jumping with both feet off the blocks or something like that.

Anyways, huge numbers of sprinters the world over were apparently lost trying to emulate Ben's start style. That all ended after Seoul though. A good book about all that is Speed Trap by Charlie Francis, Ben's old coach.

Isn't Francis the guy involved in the Balco scandal? Considering that Ben slowed down deliberately at the end of his 9.79 run, I think he was capable of 9.74 or better :o

1Fast400

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2006, 10:56:35 AM »
Gatlin will be found to be clean.  Man is amazing.  I wish track and field got more attention. 

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2006, 10:57:49 AM »
Gatlin will be found to be clean.  Man is amazing.  I wish track and field got more attention. 

I agree that it is amazing. I don't think most people realize how fast they are running and what it would look like to see in person.

RancherRanger

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2006, 11:03:12 AM »
Didn't he attend college at the University of Tennessee?  Seems like I remember that name, I'm about 1/2 hr from the campus.

dorkeroo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2006, 11:03:22 AM »
  Isn't Francis the guy involved in the Balco scandal? Considering that Ben slowed down deliberately at the end of his 9.79 run, I think he was capable of 9.74 or better :o

I don't know if Fancis was involved in the Balco thing, but, he was Ben's coach at the time of the Seoul thing. He got blamed for pretty much everything by Ben. Nobody but Ben and Charlie will ever really know what happened, but, in my opinion, that book is a good read for anyone interested in athletics and their history.

As for 9.74, well anything is possible. Only God knows. Canada "eats its own" in so far as athletes are concerned. We really (except for the last winter olympics) don't support our athletes at all, and Ben was a tremendous example of these kinds of things. Canada crucified him and well, the rest is history.

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2006, 11:04:42 AM »
I don't know if Fancis was involved in the Balco thing, but, he was Ben's coach at the time of the Seoul thing. He got blamed for pretty much everything by Ben. Nobody but Ben and Charlie will ever really know what happened, but, in my opinion, that book is a good read for anyone interested in athletics and their history.

As for 9.74, well anything is possible. Only God knows. Canada "eats its own" in so far as athletes are concerned. We really (except for the last winter olympics) don't support our athletes at all, and Ben was a tremendous example of these kinds of things. Canada crucified him and well, the rest is history.

Why does Canada do that? ???

dorkeroo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2006, 11:08:22 AM »
  Why does Canada do that? ???

I don't know to be honest. Actually it has gotten so bad up here that in most olympic events, one has to break the existing Canadian record up here to be allowed to represent one's country. Athletics Canada reasons that they want all their representing athletes to be capable of top 8 finishes, but, in their short sightedness, don't realize that they are hurting a LOT of people by doing this. Many qualified people don't get to compete internationally and it is usually due to administrative bullsh*t.

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2006, 11:15:01 AM »
I don't know to be honest. Actually it has gotten so bad up here that in most olympic events, one has to break the existing Canadian record up here to be allowed to represent one's country. Athletics Canada reasons that they want all their representing athletes to be capable of top 8 finishes, but, in their short sightedness, don't realize that they are hurting a LOT of people by doing this. Many qualified people don't get to compete internationally and it is usually due to administrative bullsh*t.

I didn't think that international competition was all about winning for the countries with more moderate poulation numbers. What was the national response to the success at this past Winter Olympics?

dorkeroo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2006, 11:25:28 AM »
I didn't think that international competition was all about winning for the countries with more moderate poulation numbers. What was the national response to the success at this past Winter Olympics?

Well nationally everyone was thrilled and a lot of people were saying it was about time we did so well. I am not sure why people up here felt so many medals were necessary to categorize the games a success for Canadians, but, they did. You know then best part about the olympics for me this last winter was watching an old training partner (I used to run ALOT) hang with the best in the cross country ski race during a relay. That was absolutely amazing. He didn't win a medal, but, watching a friend do that was surreal.

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2006, 11:28:41 AM »
Well nationally everyone was thrilled and a lot of people were saying it was about time we did so well. I am not sure why people up here felt so many medals were necessary to categorize the games a success for Canadians, but, they did. You know then best part about the olympics for me this last winter was watching an old training partner (I used to run ALOT) hang with the best in the cross country ski race during a relay. That was absolutely amazing. He didn't win a medal, but, watching a friend do that was surreal.

Good to see that people were so excited. This might sound silly, but do Canadians know that their country is not that big population-wise? ;D I think it should be partly about effort instead of 100% success. Congratulations to your friend!

dorkeroo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2006, 11:35:00 AM »
  Good to see that people were so excited. This might sound silly, but do Canadians know that their country is not that big population-wise? ;D I think it should be partly about effort instead of 100% success. Congratulations to your friend!

Some of us do know that we are small population-wise and understand what that means regarding international competition, but, I think many more do not.

The average I.Q. in Canada is 100 and we also have free healthcare (lotsa brain numbing drugs) so asking the majority of people up here to think outside the box is too forward thinking. They are either too cold to bother to think, too stupid, too drugged up or all of the above  ;D

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2006, 11:50:19 AM »
Some of us do know that we are small population-wise and understand what that means regarding international competition, but, I think many more do not.

The average I.Q. in Canada is 100 and we also have free healthcare (lotsa brain numbing drugs) so asking the majority of people up here to think outside the box is too forward thinking. They are either too cold to bother to think, too stupid, too drugged up or all of the above  ;D

At least you aren't fat like we Americans are ;D And I know our I.Q. is not any higher ;D

fearANDloathing

• Getbig III
  • Deep in The Plak Tow. Don't Fuck with me!
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2006, 02:30:44 PM »
Too bad track and field is not bigger in the U.S
I love watching the sprints. Anything over 800 meters though puts me to sleep