Author Topic: Submariners  (Read 884 times)

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
Submariners
« on: December 26, 2011, 03:16:00 PM »
When it comes to elite military units(yes, I consider US Navy Submariners an "elite" unit) SEALS, Army Rangers, Marine Force Recons, Fighter Jet Pilots, even Seabees and combat medics get some play.  The most impressive group I personally found within the military are the men(and now women!) who crew our Nuclear Trident submarines. 

The US Navy's submarine force holds nearly half of the US's entire nuclear arsenal....and guess what?  No one can pinpoint where they exactly are at any given time.  The average age of the crew?  24 years old.  Divorce rates are high.  Any semblance of normal family life is thrown out the window.  The crewman are amongst the most intelligent people you will find anywhere.  The training is brutal and constant.  Living conditions aboard a sub are something that only few can do.  Sometimes, a crew can be submerged over the period of 3 months as port visits are rare.  Navy Nuclear school is amongst the most difficult schools to get through and actually ranks close to Harvard Law in terms of overall difficulty.  Crews aboard a sub can pretty much do everyone else's job(similar to SEALS), unlike the surface fleet.

I just read a couple books on our US Navy submarine force and found it absolutely fascinating.  The war games they play and the tech involved are just awesome......and yet, it seems so little of overall military conversation dwells on the US's submarine force.

newmom

Re: Submariners
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 04:28:25 PM »
Most excellent post JB. My father was on subs for 25 out of his 28 years in the Navy and Grandpa was a lifer on subs for 30 years. I remember when I was a kid he'd be gone 6 months every other year. Neither was a nuke but none the less.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 06:31:00 PM »
my biggest regret is not trying out for BUDS.   as for submariners, a special breed.   

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 04:56:18 PM »
my biggest regret is not trying out for BUDS.   as for submariners, a special breed.   

Cool.  A fellow Navy veteran.  I did try out, didn't make it past the 3 week mark. 

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 10:19:53 AM »
High tech and bigger than your mom.
Quite the atomic muscle.

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 08:55:18 PM »
ain't got shit on my uncles pontoon, that bitch'll fly.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 04:24:33 AM »
Even though I was in the Army, I often wished I had joined the Navy instead (grass is always greener).  I think sub duty would be interested, but I am so claustrophobic I would probably never get through the training. 

Before I knew about subs, I thought "silent killers" were the result of my history teacher eating too much chili at lunch.   :-X
~