Author Topic: Presidential candidate Brownback: Homosexual acts are immoral  (Read 12189 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Hillary waffles.  Obama disagrees.  I wonder if Obama would make these comments known from the pulpit of a church?   :-\

Presidential candidate Brownback: Homosexual acts are immoral
POSTED: 8:46 a.m. EDT, March 16, 2007
Story Highlights• Kansas Sen. Sam Brownback agrees with top U.S. Gen. Peter Pace
• Pace: Gay acts are immoral and gays shouldn't serve openly in military
• Presidential hopeful Brownback to send letter to Bush supporting Pace
• Brownback also is soliciting other lawmakers to sign letter

Adjust font size:
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Republican presidential candidate Sam Brownback is backing the nation's top general over his remarks that homosexual acts are immoral.

The Kansas senator planned to send a letter on Thursday to President Bush supporting Marine Gen. Peter Pace, who earlier this week likened homosexuality to adultery and said the military should not condone it by allowing gay personnel to serve openly.

The chairman of the Joint Chiefs also said in an interview with the Chicago Tribune: "I believe that homosexual acts between individuals are immoral and that we should not condone immoral acts. I do not believe the United States is well-served by a policy that says it is OK to be immoral in any way." (Watch how Pace's comments stirred the debate )

'Unfair and unfortunate'
Lawmakers of both parties criticized the remarks, but Brownback's letter called the criticism "both unfair and unfortunate."

"We should not expect someone as qualified, accomplished and articulate as General Pace to lack personal views on important moral issues," Brownback said. "In fact, we should expect that anyone entrusted with such great responsibility will have strong moral views."

Asked whether he agreed with Pace's comments, Brownback said: "I do not believe being a homosexual is immoral, but I do believe homosexual acts are. I'm a Catholic and the church has clear teachings on this."

Clinton: It's for 'others to conclude'
Democratic candidates Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama initially tried to sidestep the issue when asked about it this week, but both sought to clarify their opposition to Pace's comments on Thursday. (Read how Clinton later said she "does not share [Pace's] view, plain and simple")

Obama did not directly answer on Wednesday when asked if same-sex relationships were immoral, Newsday reported. Obama issued a statement on Thursday, saying, "I do not agree with General Pace that homosexuality is immoral. Attempts to divide people like this have consumed too much of our politics over the past six years."

Clinton told ABC News Wednesday that it's for "others to conclude" whether homosexuality is immoral. On Thursday, she put out a statement saying that she'd heard from gay friends who said her answer sounded evasive.

"I should have echoed my colleague Senator John Warner's statement forcefully stating that homosexuality is not immoral because that is what I believe," her statement said.

Meanwhile, Democratic hopeful Bill Richardson called Pace's remarks "unfortunate" and said the Bush administration should reject them, adding that he would push Congress to repeal military's "don't ask, don't tell policy" in which gay service members are required to keep their sexual orientation private.

"People should not be judged based on their sexual orientation," the New Mexico Governor said in Santa Fe. "Throughout my entire career I have fought for equal rights and against discrimination of any kind."

Brownback: 'We applaud Gen. Pace'
While there is no indication that Pace's job is in jeopardy, Brownback's letter to Bush said "personal moral beliefs" should not disqualify anyone from a position of leadership in the U.S. military.

"General Pace's recent remarks do not deserve the criticism they have received," the letter said. "In fact, we applaud General Pace for maintaining a personal commitment to moral principles."

Pace said he supports "don't ask, don't tell," something Brownback said is "an appropriate policy."

Brownback, a favorite of the religious right, has been a prominent opponent of gay marriage.

Brownback spokesman Brian Hart said the senator was working Thursday to get other lawmakers to sign his letter. Hart said Brownback's office would not disclose who has signed on to the letter until there is "a final count."

On his campaign bus in Iowa on Thursday, Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, declined to comment when asked whether he agreed with Gen. Peter Pace's comment that homosexuality was immoral. He said he still backs the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy. "It's working."

Another Republican candidate, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, who has been criticized for changing his views on gay rights to conform with conservative views, said he thought Pace's comments were "inappropriate for public discourse."

"He can believe what he wants to, that's the great thing about America -- believe in what you want. But in a governmental setting, the right way to go is to show more of an outpouring of tolerance," Romney said on CNN's "Larry King Live."

He said he didn't think the "don't ask, don't tell policy" made a lot of sense, but added he wouldn't change it now.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/03/16/brownback.gays.ap/index.html

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Presidential candidate Brownback: Homosexual acts are immoral
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 08:32:23 AM »
The next American President will face...

the future of american energy interests, our economy, tensions with china and russia, a broken border, a shrinking middle class, a declining education system, an aging population, healthcare issues, monster debt and a weakening dollar...

...and we're supposed to give a shit what he/she thinks about the morality of two men banging?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 08:35:47 AM »
And yet CNN, Fox, CBS, ABC, NBC, MSNBC, local news outlets, etc., etc. keep making it front page news.  Perhaps they are reporting news that millions find important.  What a novel idea.   ::)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 08:57:37 AM »

We can send some more idiots to Kansas.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 09:02:01 AM »
And yet CNN, Fox, CBS, ABC, NBC, MSNBC, local news outlets, etc., etc. keep making it front page news.  Perhaps they are reporting news that millions find important.  What a novel idea.   ::)

what a sad reality.  not really that novel.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 09:04:12 AM »
Another Day

Another Gay Alert from Beach Bum

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 09:10:07 AM »
LOL.  I aim to please.  Be sure to come back tomorrow.   :)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 09:14:03 AM »
And yet CNN, Fox, CBS, ABC, NBC, MSNBC, local news outlets, etc., etc. keep making it front page news.  Perhaps they are reporting news that millions find important.  What a novel idea.   ::)

Are there millions of people in America with an IQ below 100?  Yes.

For real, BB.  From that laundry list of american problems, where would YOU rank gay military?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 09:25:01 AM »
LOL.  I aim to please.  Be sure to come back tomorrow.   :)

same story - different day

we get it

conservative christians/republicans think homosexuality is immoral

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 10:43:40 AM »

we get it

Some people think invading a country unprovoked is immoral also,  but that doesn't count. 

Instead we spend our time worrying about what other people do in the privacy of their own bedrooms.

then we have some Jack ass homo-phobe General make idiotic statements while a many modern western armies have gays in their military and it's been divulged as common knowledge that gays are and have been serving on our military and then a presidential candidate backs him up.  Yee Haw!   Borwnback is just a conservative mouthpeice like Sharpton is for what ever he spews on about.

Brownback needs to spend some time on brokeback.

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 10:52:07 AM »

we get it

Add perverse, unsanitary, unnatural and more or less disgusting  :-X

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 10:59:14 AM »

Add that to boiled and pickled pig's feet.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 11:21:33 AM »

Agreed

Christian/Republicans = Good

Gays/Transgender = Bad

Thank God we've got Conservative Christians to help us all understand what's good and bad in our world

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 11:49:46 AM »
When I first read the story... the Col. Frank Fitts character came to mind.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 11:54:01 AM »
When I first read the story... the Col. Frank Fitts character came to mind.

Funny - I was thinking about that too.  I just watched that movie again a few weeks ago

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2007, 11:54:24 AM »
Are there millions of people in America with an IQ below 100?  Yes.

For real, BB.  From that laundry list of american problems, where would YOU rank gay military?

My top three issues are taxes, crime, and defense.  Homosexuality, however we deal with that issue, falls into the important class of social issues like abortion that I rank together as a group.  

And I frankly could care less whether you or anyone else don't consider these issues important.  If you think they're not important, don't talk about them and avoid the plethora of news stories that are written every day.  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2007, 11:56:20 AM »

we get it

Then there are the millions of liberal Democrats across the country who repeatedly vote against homosexual marriage.  We rejected it here in Hawaii by a 70 percent margin and the majority of our voters are liberal Democrats. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2007, 12:02:38 PM »
Then there are the millions of liberal Democrats across the country who repeatedly vote against homosexual marriage.  We rejected it here in Hawaii by a 70 percent margin and the majority of our voters are liberal Democrats. 

A vote against homosexual marriage is not necessarily a vote saying homosexuality is immoral.  You seem to be fond of making the connection.    Fact is, if we allow homosexual marriages we will get less taxes.

that's why i say it's about taxes.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2007, 12:14:13 PM »
A vote against homosexual marriage is not necessarily a vote saying homosexuality is immoral.  You seem to be fond of making the connection.    Fact is, if we allow homosexual marriages we will get less taxes.

that's why i say it's about taxes.

I'm fond of pointing out the facts.  You just have a different spin on the facts.   :)

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2007, 12:25:02 PM »
I'm fond of pointing out the facts.  You just have a different spin on the facts.   :)

did they vote Homosexuality was immoral? 

Does voting for or against homosexual marriage fully indicate a person's desire or position regarding the issue of homosexually being immoral?

You are the one spinning the fact of this vote with people's opinion regarding morality or immorality of homosexuality.

Plus the real issue here then is that should what other people feel is immoral still be allowed under the law.

So we might be talking about 2 different things

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2007, 12:28:33 PM »
Funny - I was thinking about that too.  I just watched that movie again a few weeks ago

There's even a physical resemblance...

Think I'm going to have to drag that flick out again too.  It's been a few years.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2007, 12:56:20 PM »
did they vote Homosexuality was immoral? 

Does voting for or against homosexual marriage fully indicate a person's desire or position regarding the issue of homosexually being immoral?

You are the one spinning the fact of this vote with people's opinion regarding morality or immorality of homosexuality.

Plus the real issue here then is that should what other people feel is immoral still be allowed under the law.

So we might be talking about 2 different things

I don't know why each individual voter rejects homosexual marriage time and time again.  What I suspect is they fall under the following categories (among others):

- They want to preserve traditional marriage.

- They believe the lifestyle is unnatural. 

- They don't believe the government should sanction unnatural behavior.

- They believe homosexuality is immoral.

- They have religious-based objections to the lifestyle. 

I don't think it's a "benefits" issue, at least not here, because we already have a reciprocal beneficiaries law.

Others may say the rejection by the voters is based on "homophobia," but I don't think most voters are afraid of homosexuals.  I'm not.   

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2007, 12:59:14 PM »
I don't know why each individual voter rejects homosexual marriage time and time again.  What I suspect is they fall under the following categories (among others):

- They want to preserve traditional marriage.

- They believe the lifestyle is unnatural. 

- They don't believe the government should sanction unnatural behavior.

- They believe homosexuality is immoral.

- They have religious-based objections to the lifestyle. 

I don't think it's a "benefits" issue, at least not here, because we already have a reciprocal beneficiaries law.

Others may say the rejection by the voters is based on "homophobia," but I don't think most voters are afraid of homosexuals.  I'm not.   

Well outlined.   :)

So you don't think taxes/tax break for being married  have any part in this?

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
  • You can't be a citizen unless you serve
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2007, 01:00:30 PM »
Some people think invading a country unprovoked is immoral also,  but that doesn't count. 

Instead we spend our time worrying about what other people do in the privacy of their own bedrooms.

then we have some Jack ass homo-phobe General make idiotic statements while a many modern western armies have gays in their military and it's been divulged as common knowledge that gays are and have been serving on our military and then a presidential candidate backs him up.  Yee Haw!   Borwnback is just a conservative mouthpeice like Sharpton is for what ever he spews on about.

Brownback needs to spend some time on brokeback.

More idiot comments from OzmO. You really think we invaded unprovoked?
gotta love life

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2007, 01:03:30 PM »
More idiot comments from OzmO. You really think we invaded unprovoked?

Let me add "significantly" and "Recently" to warrant an invasion to my statement so you don't run off and find some obscure article or fact about a an iraqi soldier flipping off a US serviceman as provocation.