Author Topic: Public Option gaining support  (Read 3816 times)

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
Public Option gaining support
« on: February 19, 2010, 10:58:59 AM »
upport for the public health insurance option is surging in the Senate. It began with three freshman Democrats in the House, Alan Grayson (Fla.), Chellie Pingree (Maine) and Jared Polis (Colo.). The campaign has taken place almost exclusively online.

Grayson organized an online petition calling for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) to include a public option in health care reform using reconciliation, process that requires only fifty votes plus a tie-breaker from Vice President Joe Biden. Pingree and Polis persuaded more than 100 House members to sign on to a letter urging Reid to do the same.

The entire effort has been organized on the outside by the Progressive Change Campaign Committee, Democracy for America and Credo Action. The members behind the movement have been rewarded by online donors.

On Tuesday, four Senate Democrats joined the effort, urging Reid to pass a public option using reconciliation. The group was led by Sen. Michael Bennet, facing a primary challenge in Colorado. Sen. Kirstin Gillibran, facing a primary in New York, was also one of the initial four. Sens. Sherrod Brown (Ohio) and Jeff Merkley (Oregon) rounded out the foursome.

We've been following the growth of the movement and updating below as more and more Democrats sign on to the call to action. Find out where your senators stand here.

UPDATE: Friday, 10:00 AM -- MSNBC highlighted the renewed push for the public option Thursday night, with both Keith Olbermann and Rachel Maddow weighing in.

Maddow hosted Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius and asked her if the president would fight for the public option, which 18 senators were by then calling for.

"I think if it's--certainly, if it's part of the decision of leadership to move forward, absolutely," Sebelius said. "The president said from the outset he thought that was a great way to provide cost reduction and competition moving forward, but if that is not the choice of the majority moving forward, I think there are other ways to get there."

Olbermann, meanwhile, hosted Sam Stein and the two counted votes, making educated guesses as to where those who are undeclared might come down, coming up with a possible 52 votes, two more than needed.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/17/dianne-feinstein-signs-on_n_466435.html

It's sad but i don't think it's going to get through.  It should but unfortunately people here are too fu*ked up to care about others and their well being.  These articles are like a tease, giving you a feeling that maybe, just maybe something could be done to end the insanity of health care in this country. 
Abandon every hope...

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Public Option gaining support
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 11:23:58 AM »
why in the hell should i care about others health care?>??????ESPECIALLY if the government which cant run ANYTHING right is in charge of it.Let them die!!!!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 11:24:51 AM »
The communists on the left are insistent on starting CW2.

KC - what dont you get?  

Most people are not in favor of a  marxist revolution.    

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 11:25:53 AM »
What is with you and government control?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 01:59:24 PM »
Perhaps i feel the voted officials have a duty to help their citizens when a crisis arises.  A health care crisis has arrived, the amount of people without care dying has increased every year since the 90's.  If it stays on that trend by 2020 we will have the same mortality % of uninsured people dying as poor people did in 1800's England and you think everything is okay? 

Fine you're against the public option, but i just don't understand how you can care so little about your fellow Americans as to not care if they get a fair deal with their insurance.  That is what i don't understand and if the private sector will not do it then either the government needs to force them or do it themselves.  That to me, is their duty as representatives of the American people.  To help them when a crisis arises, just as they did to Haiti, just as they did post 9/11.  That is the governments role to be their for the citizens.  Otherwise what's the point?  We may as well have anarchy every man for himself. 
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 02:12:15 PM »
Perhaps i feel the voted officials have a duty to help their citizens when a crisis arises.  A health care crisis has arrived, the amount of people without care dying has increased every year since the 90's.  If it stays on that trend by 2020 we will have the same mortality % of uninsured people dying as poor people did in 1800's England and you think everything is okay? 

Fine you're against the public option, but i just don't understand how you can care so little about your fellow Americans as to not care if they get a fair deal with their insurance.  That is what i don't understand and if the private sector will not do it then either the government needs to force them or do it themselves.  That to me, is their duty as representatives of the American people.  To help them when a crisis arises, just as they did to Haiti, just as they did post 9/11.  That is the governments role to be their for the citizens.  Otherwise what's the point?  We may as well have anarchy every man for himself. 

Can you show me where in the constitution the govt assumes the role of health provider?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 02:14:40 PM »
"Can you show me where in the constitution the govt assumes the role of health provider? "

I don't remember the constitution mentioning social security or medicare either.  But old people have it, love it, and it's here to stay.  Just as I believe public healthcare will be, in some form, as well. 

20 years from now, we'll be just like the rest of the world...

Kazan

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 02:14:57 PM »

You can feel whatever you want, but the federal government has no constitutional authority, why the fuck do you think each state has its own governmental structure? Just for the hell of it?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Kazan

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 02:17:35 PM »
"Can you show me where in the constitution the govt assumes the role of health provider? "

I don't remember the constitution mentioning social security or medicare either.  But old people have it, love it, and it's here to stay.  Just as I believe public healthcare will be, in some form, as well. 

You have just explained why the fucking federal government needs to be stopped fucking now. I don't want to be just like the rest of the world and if you do then you need your head examined
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 02:24:36 PM »
I sure don't either... and it seems the pendulum will swing back from "take care of my gas bill, oh nanny state" to "keep your damn hands off my guns!" like it did in 2000.

And, after 4 or 8 years of Prez Thune or Prez pawlenty following orders and bombing iran and venez and whoever else, Americans will beg for another smooth-talking GQ candidate to coddle them back from the war state.

War and nanny.  Back and forth.  Pick one.  But if you don't like it, it's okay, cause the next guy will change it in 4 or 8 years.

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 02:30:34 PM »

Exactly and we've argued this to death regarding the constitution.  Firstly there is no law saying it can not be added to or amended, secondly Life and liberty are promised.  How can you have life or liberty if you are dead because you couldn't get or afford coverage?  Seems like a no brainier to me.

Either we will reform the madness 240 or we will end up with a mortality rate for uninsured people in America higher or equal to that of an 1800's Britain slum dweller.  Wow some society we would have then huh?
Abandon every hope...

Kazan

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 02:32:46 PM »
I sure don't either... and it seems the pendulum will swing back from "take care of my gas bill, oh nanny state" to "keep your damn hands off my guns!" like it did in 2000.

And, after 4 or 8 years of Prez Thune or Prez pawlenty following orders and bombing iran and venez and whoever else, Americans will beg for another smooth-talking GQ candidate to coddle them back from the war state.

War and nanny.  Back and forth.  Pick one.  But if you don't like it, it's okay, cause the next guy will change it in 4 or 8 years.

The pendulum may swing but there is always going to be the nanny staters who think they are entitled to something simply because they were born in America. Got news for them, the only thing you are entitled to is life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness - its up to you to catch it.

The sad truth is up until 1862 there was no federal income tax, so the Fed didn't have the ability to piss away money like they do now. As a matter of fact in 1895 the supreme court found that federal income tax was unconstitutional. So what do the fuckers in DC do the create the 16th Amendment. Now look at the US, it used to be the land of the free and the home brave, it's becoming the land of I want it for free and the home of the lazy.

Fucking pathetic
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 02:33:14 PM »
Exactly and we've argued this to death regarding the constitution.  Firstly there is no law saying it can not be added to or amended, secondly Life and liberty are promised.  How can you have life or liberty if you are dead because you couldn't get or afford coverage?  Seems like a no brainier to me.

Either we will reform the madness 240 or we will end up with a mortality rate for uninsured people in America higher or equal to that of an 1800's Britain slum dweller.  Wow some society we would have then huh?

KC - get this through your think skull we are freaking broke and SS & Medicare are fiscal WMDS.

Check this site out and you tell me if it makes sense to do anything other than cut govt.

www.usdebtclock.org

Kazan

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 02:36:23 PM »

You simply don't get it, government involvment fucked up the healthcare system, and your solution is more government. You see the defenition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 02:41:30 PM »
healthcare costs have skyrocketed in the last ten years - along with their profits.

They got greedy, and now they're getting regulated as a result.

My family's insurance is thru the roof.  I'm not excited about Obama mandating anything - but if these pricks at the companies are going to double the prices (again) over the next 10 years, they can suck one.  

I don't konw who to believe here... Repubs tell me Obama's plan sucks, and doing nothing is better.  I'm seeing if this price hike continues, most people I know aren't going to have health ins in 5 years anyway... already a nice chunk of my friends have dropped it in the last 2 years.

Repubs, please STFU with whining about Obama, and just give us a plan that will stop the spiking prices they charge us - it's that simple.  A $250 monthly cap or something.  I dunno.  But at this rate, it'll be $5oo or $600 a month for me in another 5 years...

Kazan

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2010, 02:47:00 PM »
healthcare costs have skyrocketed in the last ten years - along with their profits.

They got greedy, and now they're getting regulated as a result.

My family's insurance is thru the roof.  I'm not excited about Obama mandating anything - but if these pricks at the companies are going to double the prices (again) over the next 10 years, they can suck one.  

I don't konw who to believe here... Repubs tell me Obama's plan sucks, and doing nothing is better.  I'm seeing if this price hike continues, most people I know aren't going to have health ins in 5 years anyway... already a nice chunk of my friends have dropped it in the last 2 years.

Repubs, please STFU with whining about Obama, and just give us a plan that will stop the spiking prices they charge us - it's that simple.  A $250 monthly cap or something.  I dunno.  But at this rate, it'll be $5oo or $600 a month for me in another 5 years...

Well what do you expect when the government basically endorses a monopoly? If there was actual competition the prices would drop, and I'm not talking about some half assed government run tax payer funded public option either. More government is bad, do you hear that BAD. The best thing they could do would be to get out of the way and let the free market work, but that isn't going to happen.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2010, 02:58:07 PM »
I just want my monthly bill to be capped, pegged to inflation, something.

I hate govt interference and mgmt of our lives... but those vultures have a monopoly and they just raise prices whenever they feel like it.  And sure, I could understand if they claimed it was their costs going up - but they're seeing record profits...

If Mobil and Chevron and all the gas stations decided to start charging $25 a gallon, while enjoying all the profits... every single person here would be rallying for the govt to step in and keep the companies from gouging us.

Kazan

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2010, 04:37:05 PM »
I just want my monthly bill to be capped, pegged to inflation, something.

I hate govt interference and mgmt of our lives... but those vultures have a monopoly and they just raise prices whenever they feel like it.  And sure, I could understand if they claimed it was their costs going up - but they're seeing record profits...

If Mobil and Chevron and all the gas stations decided to start charging $25 a gallon, while enjoying all the profits... every single person here would be rallying for the govt to step in and keep the companies from gouging us.

Exactly they have a GOVERNMENT mandated monopoly, we should be marching on DC telling the them we have had enough of their bullshit and it will not stand any longer. Instead we get a steady diet of BS from the politicians demonizing everyone accept themselves, and for some reason the majority buys into it. The insurance companies don't want reform unless it is the POS bill being presented because it will cause competition and they will have to adapt or go the way of the dinosaurs. Its simple the government is the catalyst for all this shit.

And as far as the gas stations, there would always be some that would charge 2 dollars a gallon and make a killing while the others go belly up.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2010, 04:43:52 PM »
Can you show me where in the constitution the govt assumes the role of health provider?

It's just under the part that outlines bailing out gamblers when their bets go wrong.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2010, 10:06:05 PM »
As usual KC ur arguments are weak and in  keeping with the liberal "feel good" politics, absent of the facts. We can't afford it. "Be their for their citizens"..yeah we all need a hug. What friggen planet do you live on. Obama has failed because Americans don't want this.

From Charles Krauthhammer

Leave it to Mickey Kaus, a principled liberal who supports health-care reform, to debunk these structural excuses: “Lots of intellectual effort now seems to be going into explaining Obama’s (possible/likely/impending) health care failure as the inevitable product of larger historic and constitutional forces. . . . But in this case there’s a simpler explanation: Barack Obama’s job was to sell a health care reform plan to American voters. He failed.”

He failed because the utter implausibility of its central promise — expanded coverage at lower cost — led voters to conclude that it would lead ultimately to more government, more taxes, and more debt. More broadly, the Democrats failed because, thinking the economic emergency would give them a political mandate and a legislative window, they tried to impose a left-wing agenda on a center-right country. The people said no, expressing themselves first in spontaneous demonstrations, then in public-opinion polls, then in elections — Virginia, New Jersey, and, most emphatically, Massachusetts.
L

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2010, 11:32:09 PM »
purely  observational conclusion on my part but I've personally seen broad based support for some kind of public option but then again the few people who run the government know better than the people who own the government

right?

...........wait

what?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2010, 12:01:11 AM »
"And as far as the gas stations, there would always be some that would charge 2 dollars a gallon and make a killing while the others go belly up."

what IF all the gas stations agreed to charge $25 a gallon?

People would be BEGGING the govt to intervene.

If you know of an insurance company that is charging $75 a month while everyone else is charging $230 a month for the same policy... PLEASE send us their website so we can switch over haha... My monthly bill is huge for the family, and I"m dogshit sick of them having record profits while doubling prices.

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2010, 06:45:19 AM »
'bout time!
w

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2010, 07:27:35 AM »
'bout time!

For what Civil War Part 2? 

Impeachment?

A GOP Tsunami in November? 

I simply have no idea why the libs dont get the fact that the public overwhelmingly does not want a govt takeover of healthcare and wants this admn to focus solely on jobs and the economy, not global warming, health care, card check, amensty for illegals, etc.   

Kazan

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2010, 12:52:15 PM »
"And as far as the gas stations, there would always be some that would charge 2 dollars a gallon and make a killing while the others go belly up."

what IF all the gas stations agreed to charge $25 a gallon?

People would be BEGGING the govt to intervene.

If you know of an insurance company that is charging $75 a month while everyone else is charging $230 a month for the same policy... PLEASE send us their website so we can switch over haha... My monthly bill is huge for the family, and I"m dogshit sick of them having record profits while doubling prices.

Well if alll the gas stations agreed to fuck the consumer they would be in violation of anti-trust law, therefore the government would be obligated to put an end to it. Its a good premise but doesn't hold water.

Like I said focus your anger on DC, they are the ones that make the rules, the insurance companies are just playing by said rules.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ