Author Topic: Which Rolex?  (Read 8108 times)

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
Which Rolex?
« on: December 02, 2014, 02:20:22 AM »
First world problems here  ::) But I worked my arse off sick this year and want to treat myself to a new watch. Haven't added anything to my collection in a while.

Will be getting rid of the Tag and Cartier, which should leave me with around 4.5k minimum and I want to throw in an extra 5.5k cash, so my budget is at 10k.

I have a Rolex stainless steele Daytona in mind, doesn't get anymore iconic than this watches wise, lots of history and heritage and they look great. Not many around either (unlike a black face sub).

Second choice is an eye catching two tone GMT II Rolex, the color clash is very nice and I like the functionality with dual time and date window.

What's getbig advice on my first world problems? I am leaning towards the GMT II, both priced mid 8k range.

S

Pork_Chop

• Getbig III
  • Registered since 2003
Re: Which Rolex?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 02:31:46 AM »
My friend's mrs used to work in a jewellers and said if your ever passing a rolex dealer and they have the steel daytona, to buy it straight away.

Apparently rolex send out a clutch of watches to dealers based on their spends etc, and the receive an assortment.

Because of this, there are lots of gold and platinum daytonas around - but the steel appears quite randomly and are highly sought.

Often people can buy them legitimately at the set rolex price, then sell them immediately to someone who is waiting for one brand new, at a significantly higher price.

I like Breitling myself, the shop displays often look busy and vulgar in the window, but try them on and you will feel like you know where your money's spent. Solid. Besides there are a ton of imitation rolex on the market and people will just think it's fake.

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 02:53:38 AM »
there are a ton of imitation rolex on the market and people will just think it's fake.

Why would that be a consideration? Unless you are buying a pricey watch because you want to appear a certain way to people?

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 03:06:02 AM »
Where are the prices?

My wife wants a Rolex - and I'd get her one if the prices weren't so crazy. It's just dawned on me that they are probably taxed 300% here and that the prices probably aren't that bad back home.

Is there a UK price list knocking about?

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 03:18:38 AM »
Where are the prices?

My wife wants a Rolex - and I'd get her one if the prices weren't so crazy. It's just dawned on me that they are probably taxed 300% here and that the prices probably aren't that bad back home.

Is there a UK price list knocking about?

Here's a full list, you'll need to pin down the model you're after and check the serial number on google images to make sure it's the one you're after.

The RRP on there is what all authorised dealers will have on their window. However, with some models i.e. half gold Daytona, half gold GMT...etc you can get discounts I hear from 7% to some people getting 13% off RRP. They don't seem to budge on stainless steel watches though like Subs and Daytona...etc. So the RRP applies for those.

http://www.cheshirewatchcompany.co.uk/rolex-watches/rolex-uk-price-list.html
S

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 03:32:47 AM »
get a daytona lts edition

its the only serious option for a man of distinction like you  8)

especially as a heirloom or long term investment

outside of that i would go vintage and get an old one
T

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 03:33:12 AM »
My friend's mrs used to work in a jewellers and said if your ever passing a rolex dealer and they have the steel daytona, to buy it straight away.

Apparently rolex send out a clutch of watches to dealers based on their spends etc, and the receive an assortment.

Because of this, there are lots of gold and platinum daytonas around - but the steel appears quite randomly and are highly sought.

Often people can buy them legitimately at the set rolex price, then sell them immediately to someone who is waiting for one brand new, at a significantly higher price.

I like Breitling myself, the shop displays often look busy and vulgar in the window, but try them on and you will feel like you know where your money's spent. Solid. Besides there are a ton of imitation rolex on the market and people will just think it's fake.

Seems hard to get hold off, no AD right now stocks it but there's lots of side line dealers in London esp in Hatton Garden who can source a new or as new/barely work Daytona steel.

If I am buying though I stick with my principle of buying it cos I like it and want to see it on my wrist as the most important factor rather than resale value.
S

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 03:35:16 AM »
get a daytona lts edition

its the only serious option for a man of distinction like you  8)

especially as a heirloom or long term investment

outside of that i would go vintage and get an old one

A straight up steel black face Daytona now is hard to get hold off new from authorised dealers. Always had one in mind though so perhaps it is time to get myself one....I have enough grey hairs now.
S

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 05:49:46 AM »
The steel version is awesome and timeless.  It will always look good - both with casual dress, and formal.
Y

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 07:01:36 AM »
Both look great.
If I had the option though I'd go with the Steel one
Looks better & less common. (Amongst Rolex wearers )
Hmmm if you can say Rolex are common.

Lot of very nice classy Omega watches also.

I am buying my son a Hamilton for his 18th, not in your
Price range. They make some very Good watches.

I did a lot of research on the Watchyouseek forum.
Very helpful.

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 08:27:53 AM »
Both look great.
If I had the option though I'd go with the Steel one
Looks better & less common. (Amongst Rolex wearers )
Hmmm if you can say Rolex are common.

Lot of very nice classy Omega watches also.

I am buying my son a Hamilton for his 18th, not in your
Price range. They make some very Good watches.

I did a lot of research on the Watchyouseek forum.
Very helpful.

Omega watches are top notch and usually the wearers aren't in it to shout "look at me" off course not all Rolex owners shout that...Rolex is the most iconic and collectable watch there is, many people own them for design, look and history and for themselves only.

The look at me people, tend to wear a Hublot Big Bang, very basic and inexpensive movement inside (not in house unlike Rolex) you are basically paying for the craftsmanship of the casing, that's it. Unusual ceramics and metals used and rubbers....etc but a watch collector is focused on the horology side of things, not the casings, this is why I would never buy one.
S

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 08:51:21 AM »
Here's a full list, you'll need to pin down the model you're after and check the serial number on google images to make sure it's the one you're after.

The RRP on there is what all authorised dealers will have on their window. However, with some models i.e. half gold Daytona, half gold GMT...etc you can get discounts I hear from 7% to some people getting 13% off RRP. They don't seem to budge on stainless steel watches though like Subs and Daytona...etc. So the RRP applies for those.

http://www.cheshirewatchcompany.co.uk/rolex-watches/rolex-uk-price-list.html

Excellent - I can show this to my wife and explain that we need to wait to get to the UK to buy one as they are so much cheaper there.

Then all I have to do is use another excuse when we are in the UK and I'll probably be able to swerve that completely.

This site is a bit cheeky.... http://lexwatches2015.com/?r=https://www.google.co.th/

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 02:19:21 PM »
whats with all these watches, are you trying to make people think you are an african?

for 10kish you can get a better watch like jaeger, iwc, patek, whatever other premium swiss brand you favour.

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2014, 02:54:26 PM »
Omega watches are top notch and usually the wearers aren't in it to shout "look at me" off course not all Rolex owners shout that...Rolex is the most iconic and collectable watch there is, many people own them for design, look and history and for themselves only.

The look at me people, tend to wear a Hublot Big Bang, very basic and inexpensive movement inside (not in house unlike Rolex) you are basically paying for the craftsmanship of the casing, that's it. Unusual ceramics and metals used and rubbers....etc but a watch collector is focused on the horology side of things, not the casings, this is why I would never buy one.

i got a 5% discount on a steel omega in the omega shop when i asked. they didnt verbally agree they just typed a new price into a calculator and i agreed to it.

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2014, 04:52:18 PM »
i got a 5% discount on a steel omega in the omega shop when i asked. they didnt verbally agree they just typed a new price into a calculator and i agreed to it.

Denarii - "I want am Omega"
Shop "You want a steel one?"
Denarii - "No, I'll pay for it"

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 02:00:58 AM »
whats with all these watches, are you trying to make people think you are an african?

for 10kish you can get a better watch like jaeger, iwc, patek, whatever other premium swiss brand you favour.

None of their styles appeal to me....a bit old man-ish, I like sports watches and Rolex are in the lead.

Besides I can't think of a Patek for 10k, most I've seen start mid 20's
S

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2014, 12:38:12 PM »
i got this

ltd edition daytona to give to my son when he is 21

i can get any watch with papers boxed etc for about 66 percent of retail my sister is a dealer in the states

shoot me a pm with any requests for prices

T

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2014, 12:53:49 PM »
i got this

ltd edition daytona to give to my son when he is 21

i can get any watch with papers boxed etc for about 66 percent of retail my sister is a dealer in the states

shoot me a pm with any requests for prices

:'( Now you tell us...
After I put a deposit down on a watch for my
Son's 18th. With what little £ I have you could
Of possibly saved me a Fortune. Ha.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2014, 12:56:46 PM »

:'( Now you tell us...
After I put a deposit down on a watch for my
Son's 18th. With what little £ I have you could
Of possibly saved me a Fortune. Ha.

i have to get them through customs

i normally get a 3k watch for about 2k
T

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2014, 01:21:20 PM »
Them damn customs always want their ill gotten share.
Still that is a very Good saving.

I can but hope my fortune will change.
As then I will be contacting you.

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
  • Why stress the little people..
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2014, 03:43:27 PM »
Silver one... never been a fan of two tone

Pork_Chop

• Getbig III
  • Registered since 2003
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2014, 03:49:21 AM »
Rolex sells at very low margins, so discounts are hard to get.

It's not hard to get around 15% off the other brands like Omega / Tag etc and 25% within the swatch group (Longines, Rado etc)

Your best bet is to go into Goldsmiths at month end, loiter around until you get the manager to serve you - and they will do all sorts of deals to put your order through the till to get to their target and earn bonus.

Especially if you say Berrys or Beaverbrook's manager said they would do them the best discount in town.

Omega

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2014, 12:48:18 PM »
i have to get them through customs

i normally get a 3k watch for about 2k

I was gonna say how you manage to get it past customs because they are hot on jewellery and watches?

Omega

• Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2014, 12:50:04 PM »
Skorp I have a 2007 18k WG black faced one.
If you want a sports watch then there is no other choice.
I wouldnt pay £7-8k for stainless though unless purely for resell to make a drink.