Author Topic: Weight gain not intentional to dodge execution, inmate says  (Read 976 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Weight gain not intentional to dodge execution, inmate says
« on: September 17, 2008, 11:52:48 AM »
 :'(   ::)

Weight gain not intentional to dodge execution, inmate says
Double murderer says weight gain makes it hard to find his veins

YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio (AP) -- A double murderer scheduled to be executed next month in Ohio said Tuesday he has not deliberately gained weight to rule out his death by lethal injection.

Killer Richard Cooey has gained 70 pounds since his incarceration, which he says should block his execution.

Instead, Richard Cooey said in a death row interview that his execution cannot be carried out humanely under current state procedures because his veins are hard to reach.

"Vein access was an issue even when I was back in the service," Cooey, 41, said in an hour-long interview with the Associated Press at the Ohio State Penitentiary.

Cooey, 5-foot, 7 inches tall and 267 pounds, said he has gained perhaps 70 pounds while being locked up for raping and killing two University of Akron students 22 years ago while he was on leave from the U.S. Army. He blamed the weight gain on medication and lack of exercise.

"It's hard getting access to my veins," said Cooey, who was handcuffed and locked in a closet-sized visiting room. He spoke through a straw-sized slit in a reinforced glass partition.

Cooey said he has heard secondhand about comedians' jokes about the Ohio inmate who claims he's too fat to be executed.

But he says that ridicule reflects ignorance of his underlying claim that it's the inaccessibility of his veins that makes it difficult to get an IV inserted for a lethal injection.

The legal challenge is based on constitutional issues and not fear of execution, Cooey said. "It has nothing to do with weight gain," he said.

Instead of lethal injection, "If it would make people happy, shoot me in the head with a .45," Cooey said. "Do it legally."

Cooey and a co-defendant kidnapped Wendy Offredo, 21, and Dawn McCreery, 20, after disabling their car by dropping a chunk of concrete on it from a highway overpass. They choked and beat the women to death after repeatedly raping them, then carved X's in their abdomens.

Cooey deflected questions about remorse and said his past comments about the victims and their families had been misunderstood. "I can't come out good," he said.

Cooey wouldn't say whether he would have something to say in the death chamber. He indicated there might be a new legal challenge to his execution, but he wouldn't detail any strategy because he didn't want to tip off prosecutors.

He reiterated claims he's made previously that he participated in crimes leading up to the slayings but denied beating the students to death. Summit County Prosecutor Sherri Bevan Walsh said his latest claims didn't merit further investigation.

Cooey, who would not discuss his prison life or his family, has been on death row since 1986.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/09/17/overweight.inmate.ap/index.html

Hereford

• Getbig V
Re: Weight gain not intentional to dodge execution, inmate says
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 03:33:37 PM »
Why is getting and being fat a factor?

This is social liberalism in action.

Take him out back and get a damn firing squad together.

... better use the .30-06 tho.....

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 10:30:34 PM »
The fat lady is singing. 

Supreme Court rejects inmate's too-fat-to-execute appeal

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- The U.S. Supreme Court has rejected an appeal from an Ohio prisoner who argued he is too obese to be executed. Richard Cooey is scheduled to be put to death Tuesday.

Richard Cooey, 41, is scheduled to be executed on Tuesday.

The court denied his request for a stay without comment Monday. Cooey is 5-foot-7 and weighs 267 pounds.

State officials said prison staff examined Cooey's veins and found no problems that would interfere with the execution.

Cooey has one more appeal pending before the court. It argues Ohio's method for lethal injections could cause an agonizing death and violates the constitutional prohibition on cruel and unusual punishment.

Cooey, 41, raped and killed two college students in 1986.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 10:36:22 PM »
Why is getting and being fat a factor?

This is social liberalism in action.

Take him out back and get a damn firing squad together.

... better use the .30-06 tho.....

It's a factor because the bigger you are, the harder it is to fry you or use the right amount of drugs for the lethal injection.

If they hung him though, it would be easier.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 11:03:11 AM »
One less miscreant. 

Ohio executes inmate who argued he was too fat to die

By MATT REED
Associated Press Writer

LUCASVILLE, Ohio (AP) — Ohio executed a 5-foot-7, 267-pound double murderer on Tuesday who argued his obesity made death by lethal injection inhumane.

Richard Cooey, 41, died at 10:28 a.m. at the Southern Ohio Correctional Facility in Lucasville, said Jim Gravelle, a spokesman with state attorney general's office.

There were no immediate reports of difficulties finding suitable veins to deliver the deadly chemicals, a problem that has delayed previous executions in the state.

Cooey's attorneys had argued that his weight problem would make it difficult for prison staff to access a vein. A prisons spokeswoman said Cooey received a pre-execution exam early Tuesday and was cleared.

He walked into the death chamber at 10:15 a.m. wearing gray pants and was strapped onto the gurney.

"You (expletive) haven't paid any attention to anything I've said in the last 22 1/2 years, why would anyone pay any attention to anything I've had to say now," Cooey said looking at the ceiling. He made no other comment.

Cooey tapped the fingers of his left hand several times before he died and his face took on a purple shade.

He was the first inmate executed in Ohio in more than a year, and the state's first since the end of the unofficial moratorium on executions that began last year while the U.S. Supreme Court reviewed Kentucky's lethal injection procedure.

Cooey, who killed two University of Akron students in 1986, lost a final appeal earlier Tuesday when the U.S. Supreme Court turned down without comment his complaint that the state's protocol for lethal injection could cause an agonizing and painful death. He wanted the state to use a single drug rather than a three-drug combination, and asked for a stay of execution pending a hearing on that motion.

The court on Monday denied a separate appeal based on Cooey's claim that his obesity was a bar to humane lethal injection. The argument also had been rejected by a federal appeals court in Cincinnati and the Ohio Supreme Court, with both courts ruling that he missed a deadline for filing appeals.

Cooey is 75 pounds heavier than when he went to death row — the result of prison food and 23-hour-a-day confinement, his lawyers said.

They also argued that a migraine medicine prescribed by a prison physician could reduce the effect of the anesthetic used as part of the three-drug lethal injection.

They claimed that Ohio has a history of botched executions.

The last Ohio inmate to be executed was Christopher Newton — who was similar in size to Cooey — in May 2007. The execution team had trouble putting IVs in his arm, which delayed his execution nearly two hours. There were similar problems in the execution of another inmate in 2006.

Cooey made an earlier trip to the death house. But a U.S. District Court judge intervened hours before his scheduled execution in July 2003 when the Ohio Public Defender's office said it needed more time to assess the case after an appeals court dismissed his previous attorneys for inadequate representation.

Cooey and a co-defendant were convicted in the sexual assaults and slayings of University of Akron students Dawn McCreery, 20, and Wendy Offredo, 21, in September 1986. His co-defendant was 17 and was sentenced to life in prison because of his age.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20081014/BREAKING/81014018

y19mike77

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 01:46:37 PM »
He said it best himself.

Shoot him in the head with a .45

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 03:32:39 PM »
I'm opposed to the death penalty but this story made me laugh.

I'd make him live the rest of his life on a diet of stale corn chips and ass in prison and make him watch Richard Simmons workout videos.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 08:23:35 PM »
George Bush killed those girls and framed this poor, misunderstood man who has been wrongly denied the chance to be a proud, welfare-collecting American democrat.

It's a travesty!!!

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 12:05:58 PM »
George Bush killed those girls and framed this poor, misunderstood man who has been wrongly denied the chance to be a proud, welfare-collecting American democrat.

It's a travesty!!!

So you're admitting that it's all Bush's fault?