Author Topic: How can I get more mass on my chest?  (Read 3015 times)

Herc

• Getbig II
How can I get more mass on my chest?
« on: December 27, 2006, 10:23:07 PM »
Does anyone know any exercises I can do that will put on mass on my chest without hitting my tricepts.  Ive tried flys and fly machines and I still cant get my chest caught up.   My tricepts seem to take over on pressing exersices. 

Tier

• Getbig III
  • Lift light with sloppy form
Re: How can I get more mass on my chest?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 11:01:01 PM »
maybe have your hands wider apart on bench and get someone to check your benching form (someone good)

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 06:10:49 AM »
Breast implants?

blondmusclhunk

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 09:05:47 AM »
Need to see your routine.  What excercises are you doing for chest and how many sets, reps?  What is your diet like?  How much protein are you using?  Are you taking any supplements?  Post these and it will help people give you some better advice.

Herc

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 08:38:07 PM »
Ill try to get a picture up.  My tricepts seem to very easily get bigger then my chest and my upper chest is small.  I usually do about 2 or 3 sets of bench press then 2 or 3 with incline dumbell press and then fly's.  I go somewhere between 6-12 reps depending on the exercise.  I use a wider grip on pressing exercises then most people I know.  My diet is decent.  I eat a lot of fish, steak usually with corn tortillas with some brown rice or potatoes.  In between meals Ill eat some protien shakes.  I usually consume around 160 grams of protien my wieght is between 155 and 160.  I dont take any supplements though I cant find any that work.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 10:07:49 PM »
Looking good Herc. Nice delts.

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 10:28:58 PM »
try  shorting the R.O.M on your presses..   to take off the tris/delts from the movement.

i would agree and disagree with having a wider grip. b/c you'll end up building your inner chest and not hitting your outter chest..

try shocking with drop set, rest pause and etc you have a good start already.. but with chest your going to  hit tris somewhere   in your routine... its like saying, how casn i hit back and not hit bis??

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006, 04:09:07 AM »
try working your chest twice per week: session one: incline barbell presses, and do 8-10 sets (with same weight) of those with 8-10reps with a weight that allows you to reach failure on the last set only.

session two: incline db press..8-10 sets of 8-10 reps and only failure on last set.

rest should be 45 seconds between sets, so you will probably have to lower the weight you normally use , also remember to not start too heavy as after 5-6 sets it will become really heavy due to accumulated muscle fatigue (which is the goal). dont go to failure..failure should only be approached on last couple of sets.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2006, 04:46:26 AM »
You look pretty good bro!!

Id keep going and adding size everywer, and ul find ur chest will grow to!!

Do u train chest with delts....wen do u train it in the week etc etc??

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2006, 05:04:47 AM »

davie

he looks good..and shows how important low body fat is for guys who arent huge. you can still look very good without being huge.

Herc

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2006, 11:58:38 AM »
try  shorting the R.O.M on your presses..   to take off the tris/delts from the movement.

I'll try to do a few sets with a shorter R.O.M.  That makes sense.

try working your chest twice per week: session one: incline barbell presses, and do 8-10 sets (with same weight) of those with 8-10reps with a weight that allows you to reach failure on the last set only.

session two: incline db press..8-10 sets of 8-10 reps and only failure on last set.

rest should be 45 seconds between sets, so you will probably have to lower the weight you normally use , also remember to not start too heavy as after 5-6 sets it will become really heavy due to accumulated muscle fatigue (which is the goal). dont go to failure..failure should only be approached on last couple of sets

I started doing something like this about a month or two ago and got some results. 
I went till failure though on each set but just kept dropping the wieght only resting when my partner was lifting.  I stay away from incline barbell press cause I have a shoulder injury ive had for years and it aggrivates it although incline dumbells are ok.

davie

If I train my delts it usually is with chest but not always.  I only do about 3 or 4 sets for my delt training.  I train my chest usually on Mondays and Thursdays.  Mondays will just be a normal workout but on Thursdays ill do different things like going with almost no rest and keep lowering the wieght each set or maybe do fly's first. 

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2006, 01:14:33 PM »

If I train my delts it usually is with chest but not always.  I only do about 3 or 4 sets for my delt training.  I train my chest usually on Mondays and Thursdays.  Mondays will just be a normal workout but on Thursdays ill do different things like going with almost no rest and keep lowering the wieght each set or maybe do fly's first. 

Split your shoulder and chest training up, the tri's are getting alot of work there. which might take away from the chest getting worked.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2006, 02:01:15 PM »
your chest looks fine man, i don't see anything overpowering anything else, keep doing what you're doing, good physique, if you want to add in a little vertical chest press machine/flye machine superset or two at the end of the workout after the compound movements to push some blood into the pecs, try not to grip the handles too hard on these and that should take the emphasis off the triceps.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2006, 02:04:07 PM »
also concentrate more on flat movements, these hit more of the pec muscle than inclines, every pro who concentrates on heavy flat work tend to have way thicker more complete pec development than incline guys.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2006, 02:32:40 PM »
Good physique; try new things but at the same time don't get hung up on the idea of having to have perfect symmetry because sometimes it's neither possible nor important.

Change the variables, try new variations for a few weeks each & see which help. Start with variations on what you're already doing-dumbbell presses instead of barbell, try varying the incline on incline presses.

Then try some other exercises, such as weighted dips or pushups, or pec deck. On dips, leaning forward or backward will make a difference as to which part of the upper body is emphasized, as will doing them forward or turning around facing the other way. Use some non-lockout reps here at the end of sets, and also try partials in which either the bottom or top part of the ROM is removed entirely.

Try also a period of time in which the incline work is entirely removed, leaving just presses & flys. Concentrate completely on getting the weight and reps up, on less sets, rests of no more than a minute between sets.

Supersets, trisets, non-lockout reps as mentioned, rest-pause, some negatives  - cycle through the usual suspects, each for long enough to know which work the chest better. Twice a week training at least, even try thrice weekly for a minute.

blondmusclhunk

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2007, 09:53:26 AM »
I would do a few more sets 1 warmup for bench 5 working sets, incline 4-5 sets and flys 3-4 sets.  Also make sure your hitting it heavy and hard!  Try taking in more protein make sure the meat you are getting is giving you the grams you think you are getting.  Supplement with a protein shake and get some glutamine powder.

dizzleman06

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2007, 11:43:12 AM »
take very careful notes.... compound pressing movements and nothing else....next question!

Tier

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2007, 12:14:14 PM »
take very careful notes.... compound pressing movements and nothing else....next question!

and aim to beat the weight you can bench , say 8 times , each and everytime

maybe your just been impatient? or not apllying both the above? I too struggle with chest size but it just takes time and consistently getting stronger and on form with bench. like anything , practice makes perfect.

Herc

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2007, 01:30:12 PM »
Thanks for the ideas.  Im going to start doing more things to shock my chest like supersets or drop sets and some other things. I will also do some sets shortening the range. My bench press is actually one of my strongest lifts for my size.  Right now im 157 and can do 340 for one rep on bench.  I think to some degree my genetics just pack more muscle on my arms because I have the same issue with my bicepts and back.

Another question is what is the recomended amount of protien to consume per body wieght?  I consume around 160 to 170.  Should I eat more?

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2007, 02:01:07 PM »
Ill try to get a picture up.  My tricepts seem to very easily get bigger then my chest and my upper chest is small.  I usually do about 2 or 3 sets of bench press then 2 or 3 with incline dumbell press and then fly's.  I go somewhere between 6-12 reps depending on the exercise.  I use a wider grip on pressing exercises then most people I know.  My diet is decent.  I eat a lot of fish, steak usually with corn tortillas with some brown rice or potatoes.  In between meals Ill eat some protien shakes.  I usually consume around 160 grams of protien my wieght is between 155 and 160.  I dont take any supplements though I cant find any that work.

one of the things that DC says and it's true here is that you're chest looks exactly like it should for a guy who weighs 155-160lbs, you're not gonna have the chest mass of a guy who's weighing 200lbs unless you get up to 200lbs.

You look really good and I don't see a problem at all, if you're bound and determined to add some chest mass try pre-exhausting you're pecs with some fly's or on a pec dec before you do your pressing movements.
nasser=piece of shit

Tier

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2007, 06:03:55 PM »
Herc do u know what bodyfat % you are in that pic?  I look similar but slightly softer atm , ive just made a post on calipers etc and they say im about 10%

cheers  8)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2007, 03:48:44 PM »
Does anyone know any exercises I can do that will put on mass on my chest without hitting my tricepts.

As somebody mentioned, wider grip is wise.

Also, do you tuck your elbows close to your side when you press?
If so, flare your elbows out to the sides more. This will take some of the triceps out of the work and activate more chest fibers.
You may notice a drop in the weight you can handle, but don't worry. This is natural.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2007, 03:59:54 PM »
Right now im 157...
Another question is what is the recomended amount of protien to consume per body wieght?  I consume around 160 to 170.  Should I eat more?

Try upping the protein to somewhere around 240g - 300g / day.
Do it gradually, though - maybe over a one week period.
1.5 to 2g/lb. bodyweight is recommended for muscle gain.

Do you always stay as lean as you are in that pic?
If you're opposed to eating more carbs and/or fat, then go even higher with the protein. Gotta force feed those muscles to grow, man.
Good luck.
You've already got an awesome start! ;)