Author Topic: blaze the runner  (Read 3531 times)

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
blaze the runner
« on: July 25, 2008, 11:29:13 PM »
look at this dog run. I used to do this from my car.  :D

knny187

• Getbig V
Re: blaze the runner
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 09:09:46 AM »
Thats pretty good.....for the first hundred yards I can see our dog doing that....then he would look at me & I can see the expression in his face.....

"are you fucking kidding me?"

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 04:11:49 PM »
 :)

I'm sure you've mentioned it somewhere. I'll ask you here

how much does your Rottweiler weigh? how long are your walks and how often? I know Dobermans have above average agility and speed.

What is his agility like?

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 05:25:56 PM »
:)

I'm sure you've mentioned it somewhere. I'll ask you here

how much does your Rottweiler weigh?

He's probably 135 right now.  I don't have a scale big enough but the last time I went to the vets (6 months ago)  he was 127 on their scale.  Since then we've been showing him.  We were advised to put alittle more weight on him.  So we upped his food intake to fill him out.  I know since that time he's gained easily 5 pounds if not a tad more.  When we go to shows....people just go 'wow' when they see him.  By himself he looks normal sized until either people stand next to him or another Rottweiler.  Because he get's exercised daily, he's in very good shape & doesn't look like the average 'barrel' shaped Rottie.

how long are your walks and how often?

1-2 walks a day. 

Every day he gets one walk. 

If we can (about 4-5 days a week) he get's a second walk.  One in the morning, one it the evening.  It gets hot so it has to be when it's a good temperature for him.

I measured out the distance we take him to be 1.2 miles.  Sometimes we will take him on a longer one that's a little over 2 miles.

I know Dobermans have above average agility and speed.

What is his agility like?

Agility?

He's a clod.  He's not very coordinated & there's no finesse.  He plows over everything & steps on your feet.  When he gets running full throttle, he has a very powerful movement but look out....his brakes aren't that good.

The other day he ran to the fence to bark at something & plowed into it head first.

Speed wise...I would say it's pretty damn fast for a big dog.  I can get a head start of 25-30 feet & he can catch me in a few seconds.  He has absolutely no endurance though.  Even after one mile on a fast walk....I am pulling on his lead to get him to keep up.

Rottie's are an amazing breed.

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 02:13:34 PM »
135 is heavy, I like big dogs though.

I used to take mine out every day for short walks. I would go for long walks about 3 times a week so he was totally drained with his tongue draggin on the ground.  :D

The Germans can make a good dog.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 04:45:51 PM »
135 is heavy, I like big dogs though.

I used to take mine out every day for short walks. I would go for long walks about 3 times a week so he was totally drained with his tongue draggin on the ground.  :D

The Germans can make a good dog.

That they can.

135 is big....but I still pick him up & carry him around like a puppy dog.  People say 'holy shit' when they see me do it.  Especially with such a big dog that sits there & loving it up.

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 11:59:33 AM »
He has absolutely no endurance though.  Even after one mile on a fast walk....I am pulling on his lead to get him to keep up.

Same.  Definitely won't be be getting his AD ever, lol.  Although I don't know if I'd wanna do that anyway.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 10:28:50 AM »
Same.  Definitely won't be be getting his AD ever, lol.  Although I don't know if I'd wanna do that anyway.

Well, next year I would like to get him in a few more shows.  He's still 'all over the place'.  If we can calm him down....he would easily walk away with points.

After that...we'll being doing Rally.  He will most likely will get his excellent in short time.  He already knows all of it mostly.  Just need to get him out there.

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 11:44:32 AM »
Well, next year I would like to get him in a few more shows.  He's still 'all over the place'.  If we can calm him down....he would easily walk away with points.

After that...we'll being doing Rally.  He will most likely will get his excellent in short time.  He already knows all of it mostly.  Just need to get him out there.

Plato has had rally novice title for a few months now.  I actually don't really like Rally.  I prefer the more formal nature of obedience, and alot of the dogs at Rally are REALLY high strung.  Just not my style.  I wish they'd offer the CD during a convenient time so I could practice for it and go pass it with him.  Shitty thing is, I won't be able to go to obedience school this whole fall because grad school starts and the meet time is at the same time as one of my classes.

Also, I read in another thread someone told you to put weight on him for shows?  I don't agree with that at all, that is nuts.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 02:31:19 PM »
Plato has had rally novice title for a few months now.  I actually don't really like Rally.  I prefer the more formal nature of obedience, and alot of the dogs at Rally are REALLY high strung.  Just not my style.  I wish they'd offer the CD during a convenient time so I could practice for it and go pass it with him.  Shitty thing is, I won't be able to go to obedience school this whole fall because grad school starts and the meet time is at the same time as one of my classes.

Also, I read in another thread someone told you to put weight on him for shows?  I don't agree with that at all, that is nuts.

Rally is ok.  It's will be cool to see a big dog like him out there.  Most of the time the dogs are a little more smaller or streamlined.  Our breeder does Rally all the time & is amazed how well he does commands.  Without even ever tried to get him in there, he can do everything except some advanced stuff like backing up, etcc.  He does it...but will only take one or two steps & then automatically sits down.  The important thing he has the ability to pick things up fast.  it's just a matter of going over it a few times.

What was cool is a few months ago we were at a big show.  There was a ton of dogs there & distractions.  My breeder was about 15 feet away & she looked at our dog & said "sit".  He looked up at her & sat.  Then she said 'down'...the he immediately laid down.  She looked at us & said 'awesome'.  Hi only problem in conformation is he wants to be everyone's buddy.  When the judge walks up to him....he can't contain his excitement that someone is coming over to look at him.

Yeah....we had to put about 5-7 more pounds on him.  Because he's exercised all the time...he's very solid but was 'light in the loin' as it was pointed out to us.  The extra 5-7 pounds filled in the area. 

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 11:40:08 PM »
Yeah....we had to put about 5-7 more pounds on him.  Because he's exercised all the time...he's very solid but was 'light in the loin' as it was pointed out to us.  The extra 5-7 pounds filled in the area. 

ehhh.  we shall see

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 08:47:50 AM »
ehhh.  we shall see

the weights been on for awhile now & everyone says good...no more.

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 09:08:05 AM »
the weights been on for awhile now & everyone says good...no more.

ehh. okay.  keep us updated

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2008, 10:04:27 AM »
ehh. okay.  keep us updated

well....I don't think I have him in another contest this year except one.

I really need to get him to settle down more before getting him out there next year