Author Topic: another look at one of the most incredible bodybuilders ever. THOUGHTS?  (Read 63656 times)

Jeffro

• Getbig IV
Yea I agree the guy was insane.  It's a shame they dont look like that today.

atombombbis

• Getbig II
the 1983-1996 was the greates years bodybuilding will ever see

bigmikecox

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • SAY MY NAME!!!!
Some say Ronnie was the greatest Mr. O, but in my book Haney was the best EVER!!!  He simmply dominated every year (except 1990).  He defeated Sergio, Samir, Yates, Ray, Labrada, Robinson, Strydom, just to name a few.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
haney wasn't monumentally bigger than anyone else, but the fact remains that he's pretty much the only guy that both the ironagers and the current crop can agree was incredible. he had the freakish taper and proportions (aside from lagging arms) to make the modern crew happy, but the tight waist and posing to satisfy the older guys.

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
haney wasn't monumentally bigger than anyone else, but the fact remains that he's pretty much the only guy that both the ironagers and the current crop can agree was incredible. he had the freakish taper and proportions (aside from lagging arms) to make the modern crew happy, but the tight waist and posing to satisfy the older guys.

i never saw it in haney. i feel he is vastly overrated.

still each to his own, i don't see it in jay either barring 2001 he has looked smooth in every comp he entered, and the lack of veins is shocking.

ronnie is king  8)
175lbs by 31st July

genrommel74

• Getbig III
i never saw it in haney. i feel he is vastly overrated.

still each to his own, i don't see it in jay either barring 2001 he has looked smooth in every comp he entered, and the lack of veins is shocking.

ronnie is king  8)

But a bber is not just veins, genetically some people arent vascular, but they can still have a great physique

kimo

• Getbig III
Re: another look at one of the most incredible bodybuilders ever. THOUGHTS?
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2014, 12:19:02 PM »
lee had relatively weak arms and calves . but great taper and condition . arnold had weak thighs and forearms . . . . .

delta9mda

• Getbig V
  • Team Pussy Claad/ ya know I'm sayin?
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2016, 01:19:57 AM »
Haney gets not enough respect

Bigmacdaddy18

• Getbig II
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2016, 04:17:33 PM »
Haney took advantage of being the best in the era he competed and that is all he could do, be the best of his time. I met Lee a few times and even trained back with him at the original "Animal Kingdom" in Atlanta. One of the nicest bodybuilders and people I have ever met.

We finished back with shrugs with the bar behind not in front. His advice, go light and let the bar hang for 3 seconds. The growth happens on the down not on the up for traps. we never went over 135.

Great guy, awesome person....respect.

Cableguy

• Getbig IV
  • Cableguy no longer...
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2016, 02:31:00 PM »
Anybody not impressed by Lee never saw him in contest shape in person. I was at Gold's Venice and saw Gary Strydom doing a photoshhot for FLEX a couple of days after the '88 Olympia. I remember being very impressed by Gary's size and conditioning. That is until Lee walked in a little while later.

A little while later Lee walked in to do a shoot of his own. I had the pleasure of meeting and talking with him. I'll admit to being less than impressed with Lee in magazines. And as I told him, pictures didn't do him justice. And they didn't. The thickness and density of Lee in contest shape blew me away. You could hide a quarter in the cleft between his pecs. And his lats were so thick they were U shaped. From the side his front to back thickness was amazing, as was his muscle density. His accolades were well deserved in my opinion.

On top of that, he was the nicest, most humble guy you'd ever want to meet. A great representative to his sport. And he signed my lifting belt as well.

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2017, 09:21:25 AM »
lee had great thighs and back . but arms and calves could have been better. arnold beat him there. but lee was good ..

Simple Simon

« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2017, 12:28:27 AM »
Haney was a great bodybuilder but, ahead of his time............? Nope.
In 86 he had one call out

bigbychoices

• Getbig III
i dont know why so many think haney was great. he was ok at best. ive met him several times years ago. he was not a very nice person so i dont know why people always say he was. his body was ok. lacking alot. but weiders needed a black mr olympia for political reasons. ( and to make money too) every generation thinks that their generation was the best. arnold and sergio were truely the only ones that were way ahead of their time. even today their bodies are far far better then anything that came after them . the 70s had the best bodies. but if you grew up with what modern bodybuilding you will think todays are best. lol. bunch of bloated pregnant bald headed goof balls. they all look the exact same.

fista34

• Getbig II
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2019, 07:55:45 AM »
This dude has abs long before anyone thought to call them that. To say he's the father of modern bodybuilding actually diminishes just how amazing sandow at his peak was one of the most famous people in other he looked like a movie star long before he became one. The columbu physique was said to be so impressive that he may have he is largely considered zane's abs to be the best that ever appeared on stage.  Overtime the exercise become a bit to popular and they end up vastly overrated, but keep it mind that overrated does not means bad. It simply means there are better choice than those that are currently popular.