Author Topic: Drinking Raw Eggs in Shakes...Am i Nuts?  (Read 5278 times)

Boost

• Getbig V
Drinking Raw Eggs in Shakes...Am i Nuts?
« on: January 20, 2009, 02:20:42 PM »
Lately i have been slamming down 12 raw eggs per day, blended into a couple shakes.

Anyone else do this? apparently 1/30 000 eggs has salmonella, and some say that salmonella in itself can be treated easily with pro biotics if caught early.

i just can't stand any form of cooked eggs. The smell really puts me off.

Stark

• Getbig V
Re: Drinking Raw Eggs in Shakes...Am i Nuts?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 02:21:46 PM »
not nuts - but yes stupid

but hey since your at it? Forget Aids, you cannot cure it but today you can comfortably life with it - so to hell with condoms go for it chief

liquid_c

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 02:24:45 PM »
You miss out on a good part of the egg protein eating raw eggs, but hey if you like it go ahead.

Oaf

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 02:27:30 PM »
You won't absorb the good egg protein so bit of a waste.

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 02:32:11 PM »
Your farts are gona be foul

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 02:40:18 PM »
why drink them raw?

What’s the difference between LIQUID and RAW egg whites?

The human body cannot completely and safely digest a raw egg white. So, if you like to do the "Rocky Routine" with a raw egg or raw egg white in your drink, you are wasting your time, not to mention the threat of Salmonella. Avidin, which is found in raw egg whites, blocks the uptake of Vitamin B6 (Biotin) causing a vitamin deficiency. You must cook the egg white to neutralize the Avidin and allow your body to safely digest the protein and utilize all its Amino acids. Unfortunately, cooking also starts to destory the protein.

Our 100% pure liquid egg whites from Egg Whites International are heat pasteurized and salmonella tested. The pasteurization process heats the egg white to 134 degrees for 3½ minutes. This heat kills the salmonella and neutralizes the Avidin to allow the egg whites to be digested safely by the human body. When you cook an egg white to the point of scrambled eggs, you are overcooking the protein and denaturing the true value of the protein. Therefore, 100% Pure Liquid Egg Whites are liquid but not raw, making them the purest form of protein In The Entire World! They will stay good in your refrigerator for 90 to 120 days and can be safely kept frozen indefinitely.

www.eggwhitesint.com

SquatAss

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 02:48:39 PM »
why drink them raw?

Perhaps it reminds him of something else?

Boost

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 02:59:37 PM »
Perhaps it reminds him of something else?
::)
With a name like "SqautAss", it's hardly suprising u are even thinking about semen.
Fully fledged fag.

SquatAss

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 03:00:39 PM »
::)
With a name like "SqautAss", it's hardly suprising u are even thinking about semen.
Fully fledged fag.

Semen? Jesus Christ you're disgusting!

MichaelScottDM

• Getbig III
  • I did save a life today! My own!
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 03:59:51 PM »
why drink them raw?

The human body cannot completely and safely digest a raw egg white. So, if you like to do the "Rocky Routine" with a raw egg or raw egg white in your drink, you are wasting your time, not to mention the threat of Salmonella. Avidin, which is found in raw egg whites, blocks the uptake of Vitamin B6 (Biotin) causing a vitamin deficiency. You must cook the egg white to neutralize the Avidin and allow your body to safely digest the protein and utilize all its Amino acids. Unfortunately, cooking also starts to destory the protein.

Our 100% pure liquid egg whites from Egg Whites International are heat pasteurized and salmonella tested. The pasteurization process heats the egg white to 134 degrees for 3½ minutes. This heat kills the salmonella and neutralizes the Avidin to allow the egg whites to be digested safely by the human body. When you cook an egg white to the point of scrambled eggs, you are overcooking the protein and denaturing the true value of the protein. Therefore, 100% Pure Liquid Egg Whites are liquid but not raw, making them the purest form of protein In The Entire World! They will stay good in your refrigerator for 90 to 120 days and can be safely kept frozen indefinitely.

www.eggwhitesint.com

Way to promote Chic  ::)

PJim

• Getbig IV
  • Strike another match, go start anew
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 04:47:36 PM »
Avidin, which is found in raw egg whites,

Ron's getting everywhere nowadays.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 04:59:08 PM »
30-40 years ago, salmonella was very rarely found in eggs.  the dramatic increase in salmonella is due to our factory farming methods, in this case 10,000 chickens laying eggs in cages in a big warehouse.  the incidence of salmonella is much less in free range chickens.

JasonBourne22

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 05:01:07 PM »
I started drinking raw eggs again. Actually I find it works quite well. I do 6 whites with two whole. An old school guy at the gym got me started and now I prefer it that way. I don't agree that it doesn't absorb as efficiently, I've only seen better results this way.

Hunter86

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 05:05:11 PM »
why drink them raw?

www.eggwhitesint.com

Yeah but that shit gave me the worst gas i've ever had, I actually stunk myself out with my own farts.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 05:19:59 PM »
why drink them raw?

www.eggwhitesint.com

I have wondered about this.  I've been cooking my whites to be on the safe side.  At what temperature is avidin destroyed?  134 exactly or lower?

Also, another company said that their pasteurization won't destroy the avidin and that the white needs to be fully cooked:

"Do AllWhites need to be cooked in order to neutralize the Avidin protein that depletes Biotin? I'm a body builder and need to know.

Yes, AllWhites must be fully cooked in order for the Biotin present in egg whites to be available for absorption. In its natural raw state, Avidin, a protein found in egg whites, binds with Biotin (a B-vitamin). When bound to Avidin, our bodies are unable to absorb Biotin from the egg white. The heat treatment or pasteurization temperature of the AllWhites is not high enough to denature the Avidin protein, therefore the Biotin remains bound."

http://www.betterneggs.com/faq/answer.cfm?qid=17

Not just busting your hump Bob.  If your pasteurization solves this problem then you've got a superior product.

gooer

• Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 05:21:32 PM »
i've drank a dozen raw eggs every day for 2 years.. you still get protein, and it doesn't kill you. anyone who says otherwise is trying to sell you something. however i recently switched over to egg white containers, just because i can get more eggs without feeling naseous (anything over 6 makes me queasy) but in a pinch I would have no problem drinking raw eggs.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 05:57:18 PM »
Lately i have been slamming down 12 raw eggs per day, blended into a couple shakes.

Anyone else do this? apparently 1/30 000 eggs has salmonella, and some say that salmonella in itself can be treated easily with pro biotics if caught early.

Salmonella in eggs is so freaking rare and if you're eating raw eggs that are cage free there is very little chance of ever getting it.  You have a bigger chance of getting it at a restaurant from some clown cutting salads on a board or with a knife he cut raw chicken with.  Add some enzymes to break the eggs down or slightly heat the eggs and stop before they thicken in a pan before drinking them.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 06:06:15 PM »
If your worried about getting salmonella just rinse off the egg shell before u crack in in xtremely hot water. Since salmonella is found on the shell of the egg, this will get rid of any chance of it, and ur safe to eat ur egg raw if u want to !! ;D

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 06:26:18 PM »
Avidin? What? Who eats raw eggs for the B6 benefit?  B6? Who gives a rats ass about B6.

Dude, raw eggs are fine. They taste like slime, but if that's your thing- go for it. As noted, if you contract salmonella from raw eggs, play the lottery the same day, you'll probably win a million bucks.
a

jesusbod

• Getbig IV
  • Bite Me!
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 06:33:50 PM »
You been watching Rocky too many times.

Relentless

• Getbig IV
  • Kevin Levrone is the genetic ideal.
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 06:34:22 PM »

It's called Whey.  I've heard it's a good form of protein and can be found in most grocery/supp stores.  Apparently, they've even found ways to make it taste pretty good too.

Harry Spotter

• Getbig II
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2009, 06:42:31 PM »
If your worried about getting salmonella just rinse off the egg shell before u crack in in xtremely hot water. Since salmonella is found on the shell of the egg, this will get rid of any chance of it, and ur safe to eat ur egg raw if u want to !! ;D

No, this wont reduce the risk of egg-borne salmonellosis which is mostly the result of trans-ovarian contamination.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2009, 07:05:33 PM »
"Avidin is a remarkably stable protein. Its heat denaturation gives a transition temperature of 85°C." [that's 185F]
http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache:bOseN5Jn3lkJ:www.fordras.com/avidin+avidin+denature+temperature&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5

This page mentions a temperature range of 75-95C (167-203F)
http://books.google.com/books?id=l4IgKRRJegsC&pg=RA1-PA320&lpg=RA1-PA320&dq=avidin+denaturation+temperature&source=web&ots=Lh1WjxWCdg&sig=uQhXpOFKjP9SlHa8s4feup7T4vE&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result

This study cites a range of 75-83C for unbound streptavidin and avidin.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10796986

I'd really like to know at what temp avidin is destroyed.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2009, 07:49:51 PM »
Bob quit fighting with Kegdrainer and give us a link to the Eggwhitesinternational analysis showing that the pasteurized whites contained no avidin.  From what I'm reading 134F seems too low to be effective.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2009, 08:09:27 PM »
I used to do that back in college, when I couldn’t afford much in the way of supplements. But, I didn’t drink eggs by themselves; I blended them with milk or half-n-half and a scoop of GNC’s old Challenge Milk & Egg Protein powder.

As for samonella, it’s simply a bacteria and, as such, it gets killed by extreme heat OR extreme cold. Fortunately for me, I never had to worry about samonella, because my roommates mini-fridge would freeze my eggs most of the time.

But, it's IMPERATIVE that you clean your blender after use and drink your shake as quickly as possible. Any egg residue that isn't cleaned off properly can make you sick. It happened to me once. While I was laid up, my mother told me that she noticed how slimy the outside of my blender was, when she'd clean the kitchen. So, I learned my lesson and ensured that I cleaned my blender with SCALDING-HOT WATER and BLEACH, after use.