Author Topic: Rich Franklin vs. Andersen Silva  (Read 3121 times)

Drij

• Getbig IV
Rich Franklin vs. Andersen Silva
« on: February 02, 2007, 09:07:00 PM »

canadian_husker

• Getbig III
  • From the outside looking in you cant understand it
Re: Rich Franklin vs. Andersen Silva
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 11:37:53 PM »
silva just broke franklin in half with those knees to his body.

what are you supposed to do to break out of/counter a clinch like that? i know that probably sounds like a newb question, so please go easy on the flaming

thanks
Go Big Red!!!

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 09:34:02 AM »
Yeah the best part is silva just climbed richs body with those knees. It started hip lower rib level worked up to the ribs, then the chest, then he was banging on richs face after that... Perfect example of how to break the body down by climbing it... Love it, you will see it again i think tonight against Ol Travis..

Drij

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 09:39:30 AM »

what are you supposed to do to break out of/counter a clinch like that? i know that probably sounds like a newb question, so please go easy on the flaming

stomp his feet, elbow the knees, get your arm up into the clinch then counter.

otherwise you end up like rich franklin.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 09:52:09 AM »
Yeah the foot stomp is great, there are small bones on the top of the foot that break with a good stomp across. Even if you dont break bones stomp on someones foot or have someone do it you a few stomps and you wont hold on for to long and if ou stomp toes.. lord knows you gotta be a tough son of a bitch to hold on after 4 of those...

canadian_husker

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 11:47:04 AM »
thanks for the answer.

so trying to punch your way out isn't a smart thing?

except for that fight in japan(?) where franklin lost i have not seen him get hit hard in a long time. do you think that had something to do with his reaction to the situation. it was like he had no idea what to do. usually he looks so much bigger than his opponents, but in that fight he looked like he had no power at all
Go Big Red!!!

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 12:31:29 PM »
My opinion is that Rich had no clue how to get out of it.... How many times had he been in that position, probabally never.. and so he freaked and covered not unusaul for a fighter who is lost and being bombarded with a significant amount of punishing blows to do... I really think he had no idea how to escape the clinch...No trained fighter should be held like that and destroyed...

getfast81

• Getbig III
  • Borat is for the weak................
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 12:52:41 PM »
Silva is a better striker than Liddell.
Truly STOP WHINING

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 01:04:41 PM »
My opinion is that Rich had no clue how to get out of it.... How many times had he been in that position, probabally never.. and so he freaked and covered not unusaul for a fighter who is lost and being bombarded with a significant amount of punishing blows to do... I really think he had no idea how to escape the clinch...No trained fighter should be held like that and destroyed...

Rampage was multiple times. Think he would've learned after the first 250 knees he ate. :P

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 06:06:32 PM »
I really think he had no idea how to escape the clinch...No trained fighter should be held like that and destroyed...

like berzerk said rampage lost atleast 3 times that same way so maybe it's harder to defend than it looks

every fighter has a weakness

E
E

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2007, 04:01:41 PM »

like berzerk said rampage lost atleast 3 times that same way so maybe it's harder to defend than it looks

E

Of course, but if caught in a clinch... defend with a clinch... Just my thought....

Drij

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2007, 04:45:20 PM »

E

any video of these losses?

canadian_husker

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 06:43:33 PM »
any video of these losses?

youtube version

silva vs. rampage
Go Big Red!!!

Drij

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2007, 08:18:16 PM »
shogun vs rampage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yxl2f-nW3I

ending is nice, only in Pride

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2007, 08:26:49 PM »
Of course, but if caught in a clinch... defend with a clinch... Just my thought....

Comes down to strength and technique I'm guessing. Rampage tried clinching back with Wandy and Shogun but just got tossed around was generally kept off his balance which kept letting them get his head down to get kneed. That's the only way I look at it. I remember watching Andy Hug vs Hoost in K1 if I recall and Hug had good clinch defense. Got his arm in between and Hoost didn't connect with any knees at all. No doubt it's different with K1 gloves, though. But this is all speculation, I've never been kneed in the face like Rampage of Franklin. Would be kind of cool looking in the mirror and seeing your nose on the side of your face.  :o

IceCold

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2007, 10:26:31 AM »
2nd UFC golden boy exposed.

1 - arlowski

2 - franklin

then dana said, enough of this.  just pay the top guys to fight here.

enter cro cop and rampage.
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL ABBOTT (1966-2004)

Drij

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007, 12:52:38 AM »
sick :)

Anderson Silva Vs Tony Fryklund

20inch calves

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2007, 04:15:57 PM »

one thing you seem to forget is that anderson silva has one of the best mai thai clinches in mma. so i think you are being alittle tough on rich. i really don't think there is a right way to defend against it or there is much he could have done once he got ahold of rich. i do however think if rich got him to the ground it would have been a closer fight or atleast a pretty close one. i do think rich can beat silva
irongearco.com

Drij

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2007, 04:49:36 PM »