Author Topic: Commissioner wants to scale down noise, pyrotechnics  (Read 782 times)

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
Commissioner wants to scale down noise, pyrotechnics
« on: May 12, 2008, 08:49:23 PM »
I agree with him, isn't a basketball game or any other sport enough entertainment? What's the point with having a side show in a show? Are people's attention spans this short?

Commissioner wants to scale down noise, pyrotechnics

CLEVELAND -- David Stern's senses have been assaulted, and the commissioner feels it's time to turn down the noise and scale back the pyrotechnics at NBA games.

Stern went on a rant Monday night prior to Game 4 of the Celtics-Cavaliers series when asked if the trend toward loud, fiery in-arena entertainment gimmicks had gotten out of hand.

"I'm going to get in trouble for this, but I think they're ridiculous. I think the noise, the fire, the smoke is a kind of assault that we should seriously consider reviewing in whether it's really necessary given the quality of our game," Stern said.

"It may be that these are the maniacal rantings of a fan from a different era, and I recognize that, but you know I'm sitting there waiting for the next cannon to go off, and then the fire heats up the arena so the temperature in the arena rises by 15 degrees -- that's if you can see it because you're still waiting for the smoke, which is chemical, to clear, which is invariably done by the end of the half," Stern said.

"But I always bite my tongue because I'm not the demographic that wants to be assaulted by loud rap, smoke, pyrotechnics and chemicals. It makes me sort of outdated, but I think it's time for us to say, 'Hey guys, let's look at it one more time,'" he said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3392778

mass 04

• Getbig V
Re: Commissioner wants to scale down noise, pyrotechnics
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 09:02:46 PM »
I agree it should be toned down, but don't get rid of the stuff completely. Find a happy medium.