Author Topic: Muscle Beach History - by Stuntmovie  (Read 728794 times)

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Muscle Beach History - by Stuntmovie
« Reply #700 on: August 18, 2013, 11:21:41 AM »
Good old time shots, Power! Thanks!

Next time in SM O'm gonna check to see if those old beachwalk stores are still there.

But I think that they are all long gone except for the commercial spots just north of the red Lemonade stand which seems to have been there forever.

I think there is a web site history about that Lemonade business. I'll try to find it

During a short visit to SM Muscle Beach about five years ago I ran into a bunch of the original Muscle Beach old-timers (in their 70's and 80's it appeared) who were sitting on the benches talking about them good old days and a couple of them were showing scrap-books full of photos taken back then. All old Muscle Beach photos that have never been published before shot of guys and gals who have since passsed away.

There was about 12 of these old timers sitting in the sun and carrying on conversations while waiting for a UCLA film crew who was going to film a school assignment around the  old time Muscle Beach participants ..... and twelve or a bit more showed up to participate.

I had to leave early so I never found out how that assignment worked out, but 'm sure if I looked hard enough through the UCLA film files or on YouTube, it might turn up.

Have any off you GetBiggers ever run across it??

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #701 on: August 19, 2013, 07:46:14 AM »
Good old time shots, Power! Thanks!

Next time in SM O'm gonna check to see if those old beachwalk stores are still there.

But I think that they are all long gone except for the commercial spots just north of the red Lemonade stand which seems to have been there forever.

I think there is a web site history about that Lemonade business. I'll try to find it

During a short visit to SM Muscle Beach about five years ago I ran into a bunch of the original Muscle Beach old-timers (in their 70's and 80's it appeared) who were sitting on the benches talking about them good old days and a couple of them were showing scrap-books full of photos taken back then. All old Muscle Beach photos that have never been published before shot of guys and gals who have since passsed away.

There was about 12 of these old timers sitting in the sun and carrying on conversations while waiting for a UCLA film crew who was going to film a school assignment around the  old time Muscle Beach participants ..... and twelve or a bit more showed up to participate.

I had to leave early so I never found out how that assignment worked out, but 'm sure if I looked hard enough through the UCLA film files or on YouTube, it might turn up.

Have any off you GetBiggers ever run across it??
just the stuff ric drasin puts on , he tours the area like where muscle beach was and gold's gym[the original one]and talks to bbing personalities like reg lewis, boyer coe, robby robinson, beckles etc.
F

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #702 on: August 19, 2013, 12:20:39 PM »
Sorry for the length of this one .....

Thanks, FUNK! I'll Google RIC to see what I can find about those good old days.

Those two photos POWERLIFT posted above have brought back some old memories of how SM Muscle Beach used to look. It's gone through a lot of changes since the early  1950's.

I can recall my first visit when there was absolutely no problem finding a free parking spot in the lot that used to be right along the boardwalk just south of what is now the Sea Castle apartments.

Back then Santa Monica Beach was just about vacant unless you showed up on a Saturday or a Sunday when the weather was somewhat decent.

ANd the weather seldom got 'decent' until the sun decided to make an apperance sometime between the hours of 11 AM to noon.

So most of the casual beach goers would show up around the sunny period betwwen 1 and 2.

But there always seemed to be a few of the regulars in or around the small fence-surrounded, rusted weight area.

My first visit was on an early Saturday morning before the sun appeared and I simply parked my old FOrd along the highway and walked down the hill about thirty yards to the beach and found myself on Muscle Beach simply because the weight pit was there and a  solitary individual was putting rusted plates on rusted bars preparing to get a workout before the sun came out.

That sole individual in the pit happened to be DOUG STROHL.

We managed to talk for a couple of minutes but I had to get back to one fo the studios to get something done ... family in the movie business even then.-

I can recall that there were some small beach front homes in the area (one of which we had the opportunity to purchase for $34,000 US but failed to do so), but those old homes are long gone and are now the sites of fancy hotels and ritzy apartments.

The beachfront area just east of the Merry Go ROund and mere yards away from the Santa Monica Pier elevated roadway is somewhat the same as it was during the Muscle Beach days. Particularly Dean's Muscle Inn and the red lemonade stand .... both of which seem to look the same as they appeared during my first visit a coupe of hundred years ago.

The small red building I always remember recall as the "Lemonade Stand" is still there but was actually the very first location of HOT DOG ON A STICK.

ON the beach itself .... there have been a number of changes since the removal of the weight area.

A huge liffe guard headquarters was constructed with a small grass area on the east side of the building where the circus performers and gymnasts used to set up shop on busy weekends, but during my most recent visit it was the  grass spot where class was being held for new Southern California Beach Lifeguard hopefuls. And also a staging area during none fo the very difficult Lifeguard Competitions back then.

I sort of recall that beach vollyball became somewhat popular around the 60's (possibly earlier or possibly later) and numerous vollyball nets were installed  steps away on the south side of the Santa Monica Pier which I believe are sitll there today.

Can also recall numerous visits to POP .... Pacific Ocean Park which was located on a pier that no longer exists at the midway point between Santa Monica Pier and the present-day "Muscle Beach" in Venice.

That pier and POP was discussed earlier and a lot of the wood that ended up adrift onto the beach ended up as part of the construction in one of the Barbarian Brother's home. Or maybe is was used to construct some of the furniture. (I forget that story but will have to ask one of them the next time I run into either of them ... or both.) I think it was Keith who told me originally.

Back then some of the most wealthy Hollywood moguls owned beach homes immediately north of the Santa Monica Piers and some still do today. A few stories about the Kennedy's, the Lawford's, and Marilyn Monroe are still written about today when they all gathered at one of those expensive homes on Santa Monica Beach just north of the pier.

Back then those fancy oceanfront homes along the Pacific Coast Highway north of Will Rogers Beach and all the way north to Malibu were non-existent so the beach and the ocean was wide open and available to everyone . Just park you car on the side of the road and step down onto the beach and have a nice day. The only ‘rule’ was that you could not start a fire.

I never did undersand that rule because there were absolutely no buildings on that 6  mile stretch of beach  except for some driftwood wind barriers that some beach-bum had set up.

Now a days you can't even see the ocean behind all those ocean front homes built along that busy Pacific Coast Highway.

Things were different then …. But not completely. (See attached photos)

Gotta find the photo I recently took of Dean's Muscle Inn which is just about the same as it was long ago.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #703 on: August 20, 2013, 08:40:42 AM »
draper used to round up the driftwood and make furniture arnold and eddie g used to have his stuff in their homes.
F

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #704 on: August 20, 2013, 08:58:22 AM »
draper used to round up the driftwood and make furniture arnold and eddie g used to have his stuff in their homes.
Didnt Draper have a station wagon car and would pull out dip bars from the back do dips.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #705 on: August 20, 2013, 09:21:04 AM »
Didnt Draper have a station wagon car and would pull out dip bars from the back do dips.
;D dave did dips everywhere.
F

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #706 on: August 20, 2013, 09:23:18 AM »
;D dave did dips everywhere.
I knew you would have the pic.  8)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #707 on: August 20, 2013, 09:23:48 AM »
 :)
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #708 on: August 20, 2013, 09:29:03 AM »
 :)arnold with bed draper made him from driftwood. he also made a table for ed giuliana, it took 4 men to carry when ed g  moved. but draper carried it in himself when he made it.
F

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #709 on: August 20, 2013, 04:28:39 PM »
true quote

arnold said in a gq article about draper he would never get rid of that bed he still has it.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #710 on: August 21, 2013, 09:11:32 AM »
true quote

arnold said in a gq article about draper he would never get rid of that bed he still has it.
i could see why. draper learned the craft from a family member , not sure think it might have been an uncle. he was kind of careless back than working on the wood with welding equipment he often would work in shorts and burn his legs as can be seen in some of his pics.
F

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #711 on: August 21, 2013, 09:49:18 AM »
true quote

those 70's yrs Arnold had the physical dream life,muscle,women,parties,beach,magazines...

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #712 on: August 27, 2013, 07:42:45 AM »

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #713 on: August 27, 2013, 08:07:30 AM »
Pics by Jeff Preston of Daves furniture skills.

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #714 on: August 27, 2013, 08:13:03 AM »

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #715 on: August 27, 2013, 11:08:11 AM »

pudgy stockton her and les were mb mainstays.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #716 on: August 27, 2013, 11:10:21 AM »
thanks for those pics crown actually only saw 1 of the whole lot. draper did some nice work.
F

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #717 on: September 06, 2013, 07:52:17 PM »

This is how men and women should be built. 

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #718 on: September 07, 2013, 09:38:30 PM »

cool stuff

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #719 on: September 14, 2013, 08:28:53 PM »

Wow, most of the people in that pic are probably dead now.

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #720 on: September 15, 2013, 08:56:52 AM »
I'm here.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #721 on: September 15, 2013, 10:55:59 AM »

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #722 on: September 17, 2013, 07:08:31 PM »
Yes, those glory days are long gone. I never visited LA until 1968 and by that time things had changed a lot. There was still some adagio happening but the weights were gone. I saw some of the old guys at Santa Monica Beach but the excitement and crowds disappeared.
The boardwalk is a sham compared to what happened in the fifties.

I could park near Santa Monica and not pay anything. Ditto for Venice Beach. You could park right on the beach and get some food at the German's little cafe. Ah, the good old days.

Look at the bathing suits the women wore in those days. Many had the modesty flap across the bottom to conceal any bumps there! Pudgy actually was very modern with her costume.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #723 on: September 17, 2013, 07:27:12 PM »
Vince, Thanks for mentioning the GERMAN's.  If I recall right you could get a dozen scrambled eggs for about $4 and a huge bowl of strawberrys for about a buck and a half and it was always packed.

The waiter staff all looked like they were just out of some rehab facility but the food was damn good and CHEAP!

All the gym members (Gold's and World's) would be in there for a late breakfast or an early lunch.

Parking never was a problem and the Santa Monica hotels/motels were less than a block or so from the beach and less than $20 a night.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #724 on: September 17, 2013, 07:51:12 PM »
When I was at Golds Gym in October 1968 the guys helped each other. I was told about good places to get meals. Heck, I even went to the Oar House because I could fill my pockets with free peanuts! What a place that was.

The German cafe had a filling meal of hamburger patties and mashed potatoes and gravy for a couple of dollars. I had several meals there.

I met George Sheffield at Santa Monica. He wouldn't train at Golds because blacks could train there! Or some sort of excuse. There was prejudice re colour in those days and who can forget that?

Chris Dickerson was the first black to win the AAU Mr America and that wasn't until 1970. Lots of good black guys missed out before that. Harold Poole, Sergio Oliva, George Paine, etc.

When I arrived at Golds I thought this was it. Great gym and close to the beach. Joe wanted to sell the gym and travel on ships. I didn't know then that the gym wasn't making any money.

So I always aspired to have a gym as good as Golds and even better. Today the successful gyms are based on what Joe started but they include cardio equipment that wasn't there in those days.

Who would have thought that the gym business would be what it is today? Sure we had fancy chains over the years but most people couldn't afford them. Today gyms are relatively cheap to join.