Author Topic: Muscle Beach History - by Stuntmovie  (Read 728646 times)

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
Re: Muscle Beach History - by Stuntmovie
« Reply #775 on: September 28, 2013, 10:18:34 AM »
BEHIND THE SCENES AT THE OLYMPIA STUFF .... (A break from Muscle Beach History and making movie stuff!)

...Pretty soon you'll all be up there on that stage competing for a coveted plastic  trophy and accolades of praise (or rejection) from fellow GetBiggers.

It's inevitable!

Pardon the pull quote but for me, this is impossible. Why?  They don't have a "no class" Class for me.   ;D 

In an unrelated aside, I'm listening to SiriusXM on the 70s on 7.  American Top 40 from 1972 is on and its the great Chuck Berry with "My Ding-A-Ling" wafting across the airwaves.

Great music.

Time for some breakfast.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #776 on: September 28, 2013, 10:26:44 AM »
And once inside the Expo if you wanted to grab a seat in the prejudging section, the minimum price of a ticket was $60. ANd some say it was pretty damn full.

$60 for the prejudging only? Wow...

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #777 on: September 28, 2013, 12:36:40 PM »
GOOD ONE, MB. Whenever I get the opportunity to talk with Peter G. this is the kind of stuff we talk about.

But I have completely forgotten where and whom and I might have never know in the first place.

Details, please!

Why was he drawn bald?

Pete once told me that those T-shirts kept them in business when he first started in SM.

I still have a Golds Sweatshirt that I bought when I was there for a week in 1987?

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #778 on: September 29, 2013, 03:59:09 PM »
stuntmovie, how do you like Kai's turtle gut  ;)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #779 on: September 30, 2013, 11:23:05 AM »
why not just move it to the history thread and i'll put it at the top where it belongs? i'm just saying it's history. ;D ;D ;D
F

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #780 on: September 30, 2013, 07:11:44 PM »
TEUTONIC, I've never been a Kai fan, nor have I held any deep respect for him ...... but that tended to change a bit once I saw (and got to know him a bit better) GENERATION IRON.

I think you'll agree once you see it.

And ... I personally think that Kai should have placed 4th in this most current "O", but many in the game seem willing to duke it out upon hearing me say that in public.

I didn't see his presentation so I can't offer any comment on your "turtle gut" comment

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #781 on: September 30, 2013, 09:07:16 PM »
TEUTONIC, I've never been a Kai fan, nor have I held any deep respect for him ...... but that tended to change a bit once I saw (and got to know him a bit better) GENERATION IRON.

And ... I personally think that Kai should have placed 4th in this most current "O", but many in the game seem willing to duke it out upon hearing me say that in public.

I didn't see his presentation so I can't offer any comment on your "turtle gut" comment

He shoulda been at the highest, third.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #782 on: October 01, 2013, 09:42:43 AM »
UGLY, I can't argue with you on Kai's placing lasgt weekend as I was not present at the prejudging nor the finals  and many GetBiggers may not agree but it's damn near impossible  to offer an accurate placing assessment based on photos taken at the event.

I think that Pepe made that pretty damn clear during the finals telecast when he mentioned that he was looking at the monitors and then looking up to see the competitor  ... and there was a vast difference.

But BB competitions seem to be most popular when you have adverse opinions regarding the contenders and adverse discussions when it comes to discussing the honesty or dishonesty of the judging 'staff'.

I still somehow manage to  support the decisions of the IFBB officials concerning their ultimate decisions even though it's somewhat contrary to those who were not physically present at the contest .... or were present   but seated way behind the officials' table.

BUT .... I have personally witnessed a total of TWO 'ATTEMPTS' to manipulate the contest results.

One of which was neither an NPC nor an IFBB contest, but was successful.

ANd the other which was a small (local) NPC event but was NOT successful due to the fact two honest NPC  officials stood up and told the "culpret" to "Get the fuck out of here!"

It's possible that I have been less than honest here  when I  said we used the word... "fuck" ..... which I simply add here for emphasis in my attempt to say that we were damn serious.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #783 on: October 02, 2013, 05:22:06 AM »
I believe that this year's 'O top-5 placings were pretty fair. Jay & Branch' placings however, were nothing but GIFTS  :-\
It was a pretty exiting event this time, esp the posedown, so it was worth it to get up @3:15 AM, LOL

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #784 on: October 02, 2013, 09:40:29 AM »
DROP, I can't argue or intelligently discuss the validity of the OLYMPIA placings this year because to be perfectly honest with ya ...... these pro shows bore the shit out of me and I fell asleep midway through the individual routines on Saturday night while watching it on a computer and on Friday night during the prejudging, I was involved in some function in the Prime Rib restaurant.

But .... Once again I gotta emphasize that what you see on TV or on your computer screen is not what's being seen through the eyeballs of the judging staff .... nor even those a few rows behind them.

This 'fact' usually becomes very evident when those who are seated at the very rear of a venue object to the placing of a contender who is somewhat overweight and bulky when seen by those up front.

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #785 on: October 02, 2013, 10:55:09 AM »
So true. Contestants look a lot different from the front row than from the back of the room or on the monitor. I was HJ at a Muscle Beach show and was attacked by a wife of the runner up after the show. I can see where from her viewpoint her husband may have been better. However from my viewpoint I could see the damage he had from a badly healed torn bicep. Just enough to place him second as did all my co judges.  She even accused me of being the winner's father.

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #786 on: October 02, 2013, 01:48:46 PM »
So true. Contestants look a lot different from the front row than from the back of the room or on the monitor. I was HJ at a Muscle Beach show and was attacked by a wife of the runner up after the show. I can see where from her viewpoint her husband may have been better. However from my viewpoint I could see the damage he had from a badly healed torn bicep. Just enough to place him second as did all my co judges.  She even accused me of being the winner's father.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #787 on: October 02, 2013, 08:37:12 PM »

If you didn't see him compete in the 2013 Olympia, how can you know where he should have placed?

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #788 on: October 03, 2013, 07:14:23 AM »
I have never understood why judges sit so close to the stage. Up close they are looking up at the contestants and that view distorts the physiques and makes everyone look narrower. I felt that judges should be seated in different parts of the venue and not next to each other where they can see what the other guy did. Ideally, the judges view should be at waist level of the competitors. So in places where judges are seated and the contestants are on the same floor then that is much better than what we see at the Olympia and most other places. You would think everything would and should be done to be valid and fair in the judging process.

The whole system should be redone but, of course, those in charge don't agree so it will be business as usual. The controversies and politics will continue.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #789 on: October 03, 2013, 11:37:26 AM »
PRIME, I should have clarified that .....

My observation was solely based on what I 'observed'  during the telecast.

And even that observation was 'incomplete' due to the fact that  I only watched a very small part of it.

(Taking foot out of mouth!)

To be perfectly honest ..... I'm just not a Kai Greene fan ... although I have great respect for his drive and determination  especially after seeing GENERATION IRON.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #790 on: October 03, 2013, 06:57:45 PM »
VINCE B, It APPEARS  that you have a 'bit of hostility' towards the BB judges and the  judging procedures.

Is there a valid reason for that apparent hostility?

And I gotta respectfully disagree with you regarding the judges' location with regards to their distance from the competitive stage.

No time to elaborate on that statement right now, but I'd like to discuss it with you on this board soon.

PS .... Have you ever had the opportunity to visit Peter Jackson's motion picture production office in NZ or Hobbit-Town or Hobbit-Ville itself?

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #791 on: October 03, 2013, 08:10:00 PM »
VINCE B, It APPEARS  that you have a 'bit of hostility' towards the BB judges and the  judging procedures.

Is there a valid reason for that apparent hostility?

You're opening a can of worms, stunt.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #792 on: October 03, 2013, 08:12:52 PM »
PRIME, I should have clarified that .....

My observation was solely based on what I 'observed'  during the telecast.

And even that observation was 'incomplete' due to the fact that  I only watched a very small part of it.

(Taking foot out of mouth!)

To be perfectly honest ..... I'm just not a Kai Greene fan ... although I have great respect for his drive and determination  especially after seeing GENERATION IRON.

I am not his fan either. I think he just looks fat.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #793 on: October 03, 2013, 09:10:53 PM »
UGLY. You're probably right about that "can of worms" ..... but I had no intent to go fishing but it could be interesting to hear opposing view-points about any part of contest officiating in these IFBB/NPC events.

PRIME, I see Kai as somewhat similar but he has a lot of fans who feel differently ..... and my 'disregard' for him an a competitor changed a lot after getting to know him better upon seeing Generation Iron.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #794 on: October 03, 2013, 09:41:37 PM »
UGLY. You're probably right about that "can of worms" ..... but I had no intent to go fishing but it could be interesting to hear opposing view-points about any part of contest officiating in these IFBB/NPC events.

PRIME, I see Kai as somewhat similar but he has a lot of fans who feel differently ..... and my 'disregard' for him an a competitor changed a lot after getting to know him better upon seeing Generation Iron.

Stunt, do you ever post pics of the old days, when you were working with some of the big Hollywood names? Those would be great to see. Understand if you want to remain anonymous, though.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #795 on: October 03, 2013, 10:03:01 PM »
UGLY, Nope ... no old days Hollywood pictures for a couple of reasons...

1. Cameras were not as common nor as popular as they are today and weren't small enough to stick in your pocket like the are today (except for one brand that was too damn expensive and mainly sold to spies.

and

2. Cameras (as far as I can recall) were forbidden on most movie sets. This is still true today and some type of 'non-disclosure' contract is  very common for all movie making 'participants'.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #796 on: October 03, 2013, 10:05:56 PM »
UGLY, Nope ... no old days Hollywood pictures for a couple of reasons...

1. Cameras were not as common nor as popular as they are today and weren't small enough to stick in your pocket like the are today (except for one brand that was too damn expensive and mainly sold to spies.

and

2. Cameras (as far as I can recall) were forbidden on most movie sets. This is still true today and some type of 'non-disclosure' contract is  very common for all movie making 'participants'.

Ok, that's a shame. It would have been great to see some of that stuff.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #797 on: October 04, 2013, 10:36:38 AM »
Yea, no pictures from those old day sets but I can tell you some little bits of stuff  that have stuck in my mind after all these years and thereby let you see that "picture' in your own 'noggin'.

When I was a kid I did some pretty damn crazy stuff in an effort to get in front of the camera and hopefully see myself on a theater screen so I could yell out to the entire audience, "Hey! That's me!".

Some of this stuff I've told before but this topic has been pretty damn slow lately  ... so maybe no one will object if I mentioned some of the following.

What I'll be telling some of you interested GetBiggers is what I have argued about with some of you "Hollywood GetBiggers" who have made unsuccessful attempts to get into the movie business in front of or behind the cameras.

I was  raised (actually I was 'forced" to be raised by an old fashioned Swedish father) to be 'positive' about everything I ever thought of ... and even more positive when it came to anything I ever attempted. I was never allowed to see the negative side of things.

So I grew up believing that nothing was impossible ..... which, actually, was pretty damn stupid.

But this 'stupidity' produced some very positive outcomes ... most of the time.

For instance when I was a kid, I thought acting in the movies was simply a matter of 'signing up' which was pretty damn stupid on my part; but my cousin (about 10 years older than myself) moved to So Cal and I encouraged him to  go 'sign up' and be a movie actor.

He simply laughed at my stupidity, but within a couple of months he gave my advice a try and ended up getting a major role in a movie called DALLAS which starred Ruth Roman and Gary Cooper. So in that case ... my stupidity paid off.

ANd that was the first "pay off" of many more to follow which I plan to continue with if I can't find anything related with bodybuilding to pass on to anyone who may be interested.

Some of you GetBiggers seem to be a lot more 'stupider' than myself ... so maybe you have some similar success stories to pass along

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #798 on: October 04, 2013, 11:53:58 AM »
Back to bodybuilding with some X-PO photos that Ron did not take. This  here camera was $4.95 at Wal_Mart.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #799 on: October 04, 2013, 12:02:09 PM »
A lot of OLY money was spent on huge graphics outside and within the Convention Center ..... These alone were over 6 feet tall.

Read the text.