Author Topic: 01-17-06: Frank Curreri sets the record straight  (Read 2120 times)

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
01-17-06: Frank Curreri sets the record straight
« on: January 18, 2006, 08:55:36 AM »

http://www.getbig.com/news/2006-01/060117frank.htm

On January 11th, 2006, Maura James appeared on MSNBC's Rita Cosby Live, and denied a number of claims and statements made by Las Vegas Review Journal reporter Frank Curreri in terms of exactly what happened to Melissa. For a reporter, credibility is especially important, and Frank wanted to set the record straight, in his words, on the events of his conversation with Maura James. Here is the letter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am writing to set the record straight about my conversation with Maura James in late December 2005. Foremost, I would again like to offer my condolensces to Ms. James and the rest of Melissa James' family for their tragic loss. No family should have to endure such a heartbreaking and sudden ordeal.
Unfortunately, my job often requires that I interview grieving parents such as Ms. James. As one can imagine, it is a sobering task and a duty I take quite seriously. Ms. James called another reporter that day and he transferred her to me. We spoke for roughly 15 or 20 minutes. She was calm and composed; I spoke softly and with the utmost consideration, keenly aware of her hardship and was struck by the strength she showed. I felt for Ms. James then and still do. May God bless her and see her through this trying time.

But Ms. James made statements during a recent interview on MSNBC that conflict with statements she made to me during our one and only conversation. This may be understandable, given the stress such a tragedy can inflict on a loved one. I am an honest man who has been a professional reporter for the past eight years, and have covered many high profile murders, two White House ceremonies and the Olympic Games. I stand by my story and Ms. James' comments to me. If I were wrong on this matter-- and even the finest reporters have make mistakes — I would quickly own up to my mistakes and apologize to her. Such admissions, when merited, are the cornerstone of credibility, which is essential for a journalist who wants to last in this business. But there are multiple accounts — from police, other authorities and Craig Titus' close friend — that corroborate the truth of my reporting:

Ms. James went on MSNBC and denied having told me that there was tension between Melissa and Kelly. In response, I offer comments that Maura James made to me verbatim, as reflected in my notes:

-- Ms. James told me that she was unaware of any affair between her daughter and Craig and had no reason to believe there were differences between Craig and Melissa (This is not disputed, though police say Craig admitted to a "secret affair" with Melissa). However, Maura James said that Melissa had problems with Kelly.

After telling me that, Maura James said on another occasion: "She (Melissa) was very close to Craig. They were really good friends. Her and Kelly, there was always a little bit of friction there."

A few minutes later, Maura James also told me the following, "I never heard her say anything negative about Craig, but Kelly she did. She said she was having problems with Kelly and they would fight. She never acted like she was in danger or anything like that."

Ms. James then mentioned to me that Melissa told her during a cell phone conversation that she was leaving Craig and Kelly's home and that Craig had booked a hotel room for Melissa.

"He (Craig) got her a hotel room on Monday before they found her," Maura James said. "I said, 'Why?' she said, 'Well, Kelly is flipping out and he (Craig) just said she's crazy.'

Now, anyone who further doubts there were tensions between Melissa and Kelly, should read the Las Vegas police arrest warrant involving Craig and Kelly. In the report, investigators said Craig told them, "He said there had been tension between Ryan and James because of James embezzling money so he had rented a room for James."

For those still not convinced, a high-ranking official familiar with the case told me Kelly also told investigators about tensions between her and Melissa (This information will likely come out in the future, but is not yet reflected in police reports).

And for those still doubting the existence of tensions between Melissa and Kelly, consider the following comments from Matt Cline. Cline, a close friend of Craig's who knew Melissa and Kelly well and once lived in Vegas, is quoted in a Getbig.com interview saying: "I think Kelly went crazy and lost it and that is what happened. Craig had a soft spot for Melissa. And he was having an affair with her. Now, Kelly does know that and she doesn't. Kelly was always really jealous of all the flirting that Craig did ... Kelly probably knew that something was going on, but then Kelly started to get jealous, or they were doing some sort of recreational drugs and Kelly probably snapped ... I just think that Kelly just lost it pretty bad and this is what I think happened."

Maura James also challenged my reporting that her daughter had moved out Craig and Kelly's home. Not only did Ms. James tell me this, but Las Vegas police wrote in a report, "because of the discovered embezzlement, James was told she had to leave their house. On 12/13/2005, after James packed a suitcase with some of her belongings, Ryan claimed she drove James to the Green Valley Grocer convenience store ..."

In the car where Melissa James was found, police said they found "the remains of a suitcase ... along with the remains of what appeared to be women's clothing."

It is my hope that these insights will silence any insinuation that this was "an overzealous reporter" misinterpreting what he heard," as someone dared to suggest on Getbig.com. Despite such absurd comments, I will continue to pursue this story in a fair, honest and balanced fashion. And, in all sincerity, my prayers are still with Maura James and her family.

Regards,

Frank Curreri