Author Topic: GUARANTEED BEST WAY TO INCREASE YOUR BENCHPRESS  (Read 17481 times)

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
GUARANTEED BEST WAY TO INCREASE YOUR BENCHPRESS
« on: July 04, 2007, 06:59:31 PM »
I was having trouble for the longest in trying to get stronger with my bench press.  I am a natural lifter who lifts more for strength than to look good.  I am 45 and I was stuck at benching 135 for about two years and couldn't understand why.  I was thinking that maybe I was a weakling compared to others in the gym.  Then I realized that it was mostly psychological and I had to finally admit to myself that the real reason wasn't that I wasn't strong but that I was scared of the bar.  I was afraid to go really heavy because I was scared of being under the bar and that I might drop the bar (and weights) on myself if I went too heavy. I was also afraid for the other guys to see me struggling with a big weight I couldn't handle and that they might laugh at me.  I finally psyched myself up and began increasing the weight and not caring what others thought.  I went from 135 to 185 in one day (sets of 6-8) and now I am at 245 and shooting for 315 by the end of the year.  so to increase your bench you gotta prepare yourself psychologically to go heavy and just do it no matter what. If it helps, push your pundages up whenn the gym is empty so you won't feel too embarrassed if you can't make the lift.  you'll definitely feel more confident.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
Re: GUARANTEED BEST WAY TO INCREASE YOUR BENCHPRESS
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 07:01:43 PM »
Is there anyone else who has or had gym fear like I had?...what did you do to get over it?

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 07:03:41 PM »
I am not sure your method works for the 99.99999999999999% of us that aren't afraid of the bar.
E

rjcleveland

• Getbig I
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 11:24:00 AM »
I am 42 and at the 135 lbs. mark as well - lol  It would be nice to have a spotter to help with the lifts for me.

I was having trouble for the longest in trying to get stronger with my bench press.  I am a natural lifter who lifts more for strength than to look good.  I am 45 and I was stuck at benching 135 for about two years and couldn't understand why.  I was thinking that maybe I was a weakling compared to others in the gym.  Then I realized that it was mostly psychological and I had to finally admit to myself that the real reason wasn't that I wasn't strong but that I was scared of the bar.  I was afraid to go really heavy because I was scared of being under the bar and that I might drop the bar (and weights) on myself if I went too heavy. I was also afraid for the other guys to see me struggling with a big weight I couldn't handle and that they might laugh at me.  I finally psyched myself up and began increasing the weight and not caring what others thought.  I went from 135 to 185 in one day (sets of 6-8) and now I am at 245 and shooting for 315 by the end of the year.  so to increase your bench you gotta prepare yourself psychologically to go heavy and just do it no matter what. If it helps, push your pundages up whenn the gym is empty so you won't feel too embarrassed if you can't make the lift.  you'll definitely feel more confident.

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 01:02:12 PM »
Here's what I do when I will not have a spotter while benching.  I set up a flat bench in a power rack and set up the safety bars at a height such that I could lower the barbell all the way down (touch my chest), yet if i set the bar above my neck it would stop at the safety bars.  This way If I fail on a rep, I just lower the bar towards my neck.  To get out, I just turn my head and slide down the bench till I clear the bar.  This allows me to go to failure without fear of getting crushed under the bar.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 02:27:38 PM »

Here, not the greatest clip, but yoou get the picture.

Board Press and chains will get you where ya want fastest (strength)
Vary from 2-5 boards. Some real top benchers NEVER do full reps except @ comp.
Too hard on the shoulders.....

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 07:00:12 PM »
Great suggestions guys.

You are right in that we should not settle on a weight.

We are much stronger then we think we are. If we could unblock the subconscious we would have no plateaus.

just push some weight!

Herc

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 03:12:40 AM »
Sometimes when I go really heavy and realize how much more wieght it is then myself it can be a little scary getting under it.  I just use that to sike myself up and push harder.  Ive been  lifting for years and with the exception of maxing  out I dont think it is nessasary to have a spotter. After a while you will know when you are at your last possible rep, sometimes I think there is a 50 percent chance of getting it and go for it, if I fail I just put the wieght on the lower holders.  I like having a spotter only to push that last rep that is questionable but I consider my set a failure if the spotter has to touch the bar. The best way to increase bench press or anything for that matter is progressive resistance.  Pic a rep range of maybe 8 to 10.  If today you only or able to do 8 keep working till you eventually get 9 and then 10.  If it takes 2 weeks or 1month dont go up in weight till you get to the top of your rep range.  Only add 5lbs and no more.  It will likely take you back down to 8 reps.  Then repeat the proccess untill you get up to 10 and add 5lbs.  This also insures you actually have the strenght to handle the wieghts you lift.  It seems so basic and almost stupid to mention but I think a lot of people dont know this because when I go to the gym everyone is always lifting 135 or 185 or 205 or 315(only putting big plates on never touching the 2.5lbs or 5lbs wieghts) but never 215 or 310 because they dont implement progressive ressistance, they just decide they try a heavier wieght and throw on the next big wieght and they arnt ready for a 20lbs increase but only a 5lbs. 

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 04:55:02 AM »
I am not sure your method works for the 99.99999999999999% of us that aren't afraid of the bar.

Agree.

G.R.H.

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 12:06:56 PM »
take a giant needle full of growth hormone and jam it directly into each arm. that should increase your strength real quick!  ;D  (just kidding!)

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2007, 02:50:48 PM »
take a giant needle full of growth hormone and jam it directly into each arm. that should increase your strength real quick!  ;D  (just kidding!)

2-4iu eod SQ is pretty effective w/ not so bad sides for males IME.

Wish it were cheaper :'(

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2007, 01:25:06 PM »
Eat more.

Bench will go up.

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 07:24:10 AM »
alexxx hit the nail on the head.

the mind can be your greatest attribute or your biggest hurdle.
d[-_-]b actin all cool

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2007, 08:33:37 AM »
alexxx hit the nail on the head.

the mind can be your greatest attribute or your biggest hurdle.

Mind alone goes so far. Training methods put wheels on the bar.
But a weak mind gos nowhere.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2007, 07:35:21 AM »

LMFAO!

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2007, 03:29:50 PM »
That's a nice wise crack. Danielson...very funny..LOL..but I was talking about those who may have this hidden fear. but are not aware of it or are afraid to talk about it because guys like you will make fun of them....you are right that most people aren't afraid of the bar. But there are some guys out there who are and don't talk about it or don't know how to express this unconscious fear they may have...So they keep on lifting the same pounds because they are confortable with it and don't push themselves. Getting under that bar with large plates on each side can be hard to do psychologically for many.

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2007, 04:02:20 PM »
That's a nice wise crack. Danielson...very funny..LOL..but I was talking about those who may have this hidden fear. but are not aware of it or are afraid to talk about it because guys like you will make fun of them....you are right that most people aren't afraid of the bar. But there are some guys out there who are and don't talk about it or don't know how to express this unconscious fear they may have...So they keep on lifting the same pounds because they are confortable with it and don't push themselves. Getting under that bar with large plates on each side can be hard to do psychologically for many.

Believe me, I have absolutely no fear of any types of bars ;) Sorry about your phobia though.
E

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2007, 06:01:01 PM »

Not to be a dick but was that your first day at the gym 45?? Where have you been working out before HOME workout videos??

lubawyb612

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2007, 08:50:45 PM »
If it helps, push your pundages up whenn the gym is empty so you won't feel too embarrassed if you can't make the lift.  you'll definitely feel more confident.

?????yeah load up the bar when nobody is around...your right nobody will be laughing at you...and you'll end up with 300 lbs sitting on your chest

G.R.H.

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2007, 08:05:52 PM »
i am not afraid of the bar, but i was trying recently to find out what my maximun bench is. i put up about 185, but it was only 1 rep with bad form, and i struggled to do it. i am more afraid of really hurting myself. i know i am capable though of more than 125lbs! that's for sure! ( i can do at least 150-160.)

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2007, 09:14:29 PM »
 I was always confidant of overtaking the bar with whatever weight I was to attempt. I get under the bar and make it my little bitch.
   If you get a sticky point or are just to timid to attempt a heavy weight without a spotter then use the power rack. This allows you to attempt anything and if you fail you will do so safely. Remember, if you fail at a lift you really have not. It is the trying of the momentarily impossible that will make you stronger, so even when you fail you know you have taxed the muscle to it's fullest potential and it will respond by getting stronger.
   This is how I got a 445# single(drug free) at a body weight of 225. I always attempted momentary failure with each workout. ;)
h

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2007, 06:43:50 AM »
No offense but it this shit were true we all could just piture ourselves doing 100+lbs on any given exercise; retarded...
I hate the State.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2007, 08:04:52 PM »
well Trapezkerl, the point is that we are all different and we all need different things to motivate us in the gym but I'm betting that a lot of it is psychological and that we can push ourselves past sticking points if we just focused and admitted to ourselves that we are afraid of the bar and weight...that's the first step toward being able to go heavier...instead of settling for lower weights because we feel more comfortable with them...I'm really talking to those who like myself don't have a training partner (or who prefer to train alone) and therefore don't have a spotter...the fear is an unspoken one because we as lifters are not allowed to show fear of the weights or show that we are intimidated by them for fear of guys like you making fun or putting others down...to sum up, I'm saying if you are still lifting like 135 lbs with no progress, admit to yourself you are scared, and then man up and load up that bar... 

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2007, 03:42:25 AM »
Psych helps, but the physical is key element.
We all top out and need learn new methods if more plates on bar is goal.
PLing USA, Louie Simmons West Side Barrbell, Nazarath barrbell, Metal Melitia (Sebastion Burns)
and Dave Tates Elite Fittness will get you lifts up 100%+ for a elbows out BBer style Bencher.
You can put on 100lbs on your bench in a year if you go PLer methods and train right.

Now somebody tell me "BullShit". And stay w/ thier crappy bench #'s.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2007, 07:17:26 AM »
well Trapezkerl, the point is that we are all different and we all need different things to motivate us in the gym but I'm betting that a lot of it is psychological and that we can push ourselves past sticking points if we just focused and admitted to ourselves that we are afraid of the bar and weight...that's the first step toward being able to go heavier...instead of settling for lower weights because we feel more comfortable with them...I'm really talking to those who like myself don't have a training partner (or who prefer to train alone) and therefore don't have a spotter...the fear is an unspoken one because we as lifters are not allowed to show fear of the weights or show that we are intimidated by them for fear of guys like you making fun or putting others down...to sum up, I'm saying if you are still lifting like 135 lbs with no progress, admit to yourself you are scared, and then man up and load up that bar... 

I train alone in a foreign land and have never had a spotter...yes, the psyche plays a role but ultimately it is physical...
I hate the State.